Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Somewhat related to the thread:

https://twitter.com/americanmcgee/status/1469470505577361408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't know who keeps giving ol American money, but, you grab those stacks

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
As somebody who (I'm sure like a lot of people in this thread) was raised on "the classic" FPS games and still plays them on a regular basis, Painkiller's comparison to other landmark FPS games has always been confusing to me--kind of like saying "a lot of cars are virtually identical" by virtue of the fact that they tend to have four tires and a steering wheel.

I recently played Painkiller again and was kind of surprised to discover that I didn't really like it. The weapons, as always, were great. It still looked decent. But every level felt like an endless series of arenas where most enemies randomly teleported in--and this is important: randomly, not hand-placed or scripted to appear in specific places or arrangements. Most enemies (with a few exceptions) had effectively the same health, regardless of what they looked like: ~65-130 HP. Most enemies employed roughly the same AI, which involved chasing down and melee'ing the player, even if they had other unique abilities. Most enemies moved roughly the same speed.

Did you know that the Devil Monk could poison the player, slowing you down? Or that the banshee could blind you, or that it had a run animation that it doesn't actually use? The Hell Angel "Punks" are supposed to throw molotov cocktails from afar to support other enemies, but they almost always spawn in so that they want to chase after you with their clubs like 95% of everything else the game will throw at you.

The earliest Serious Sam's are arguably the most comparable games to Painkiller, but even those games spent a lot of time hand-placing enemies, giving them specific functions and positions that may complement other enemies used in a particular fight. When you replay a Serious Sam level, you'll notice that specific enemies spawn in specific places every single time, because a human put them there. With Painkiller, it's just a random inchoate mess of very similar enemies randomly spawning in who--despite being given abilities to make them unique--are content to simply get kited into a mindless melee gaggle almost immediately.

Anyway, I'd argue that whether or not you like Dusk, Painkiller is nothing like Dusk unless your threshold for similarity is "Grim FPS where you shoot monsters to a butt metal soundtrack". Dusk's enemies are almost always distinct, and Painkiller's rarely are; Dusk's enemies are hand placed because the level designer had a specific idea for each fight, whereas Painkiller's feel more like "okay spawn in 50-60 [enemy A,B,C] around the arena".

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 11, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Painkiller spends a lot of time handcrafting unique looking enemies who are completely interchangeable with the rest of the roster.

I go back to if it didn't have such a terrible unlock system it'd be a lot more soothing to plow through the gauntlet of arenas, but it aint

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Barudak posted:

Painkiller spends a lot of time handcrafting unique looking enemies who are completely interchangeable with the rest of the roster.

Thank you. You said something a lot more succinctly than I did.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Thank you. You said something a lot more succinctly than I did.

Nah, you helped formulate why the roster is so uninteresting despite being so visually varied. There is a really, really cool game that could have been made on Painkillers bones, but uh, the expansion packs and sequel sure weren't it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Painkiller's execution was dogshit, frankly. All that hype at around the same time as Doom 3, and ultimately it was one of the most boring FPS games I'd ever experienced. No intricate level designs (they were detailed but all in a meaningless eye-candy sense), just go from room to room via some corridors, blasting whatever loving idiot monster was lumbering toward the business end of your weapon, then behold as a bunch of his buddies turn up out of nowhere. Bang bang bang. Next.

There were no moments (at least that I recall) where you'd encounter stuff looking in a direction where you're just out of sight to get you thinking "ah ha! I can use [weapon] here and do something cool/efficient", such as in Doom/Quake/whatever. It was just a case of monsters spawning in and knowing exactly where you were every time, all with the same idea of getting as close as possible to hit you with a stick. The pathfinding was also utterly crap. Bottomless pit with a narrow bridge over it? Watch as Skeleton Man does the unthinkable and trots onto said bridge at a bad angle, makes no effort to correct his course, and ends up erased without any input from the player at all.

Christ, on occasion some mooks would just drop dead on the spot as you appraoched them for no reason whatsoever.

I bought this loving game at full price on release :negative:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah upon revisiting painkiller i'm realizing that a lot of what i liked about it originally is that the huge destructible environments and massive crowds of enemies were very impressive on my 2005 computer when i had never seen anything like it before. in 2021 it just doesn't have much to offer

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Venice (?) level is the only one I recall where there was some attempt at level layout impacting encounter design and the spooky house and the mountain base stages at least being like, a narrative to the levels.

Thats one of the really painful things about Painkiller, levels just kind of are rooms of the same idea without a build or flow to them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

Croteam is teasing something for Serious Sam 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4xVZ0T0bog

i could go for more ss4, i just hope they don't make it so you slip around on ice or something because Sam games you definitely want to be able to maneuver at all times

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

site posted:

i could go for more ss4, i just hope they don't make it so you slip around on ice or something because Sam games you definitely want to be able to maneuver at all times

The only time I’m alright with ice in levels is when it allows you to bunnyhop and “skate” around like twice the speed of regular ground

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The only time I’m alright with ice in levels is when it allows you to bunnyhop and “skate” around like twice the speed of regular ground

It's a shame Cryostasis isn't for sale any more as that genuinely had some of the best ice and water effects I've ever seen. More games should play around with the idea of heat melting frozen environments while providing light, I think Noita is the closest to actually making a decent game out of it but that's 2D.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

DRG is one of those games where you can tell the developers know what they're doing. Updates come regularly, they don't reach further than their grasp, and they know what to prioritize. I genuinely cannot think of a criticism for the game, and that's rare for me.

DRG shocked me how out of left field such a good game just appeared in my life. I tried it on a whim cos it was cheap on Steam and scored overwhelmingly positive. Next thing you know, me and my two irl buddies are playing it together, which hasn't happened since we left school like fifteen years ago.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Painkiller mainly seemed to get by on low expectations, backlash to Doom 3, and the memeability of that gun that shoots shurikens and lightning. I never played the whole thing, but I bounced off the demo hard.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I forget exactly what its contemporaries were, but Painkiller's popularity is due to it being a throwback arena style fps when there were very few of them being made. The weapons, music, and enemy design are all cool, but even at the time it was clear that it was very unpolished.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I liked that Painkiller H&D game, that one held my interest to the end. The original was one of those games that has cool things but I only played for a bit. Like say Shogo. Always room for a game to dabble in.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

I liked that Painkiller H&D game, that one held my interest to the end. The original was one of those games that has cool things but I only played for a bit. Like say Shogo. Always room for a game to dabble in.

It's literally an HD remake though isn't it? Hence the... H&D :v:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Convex posted:

It's literally an HD remake though isn't it? Hence the... H&D :v:

Good pun for sure! I believe it's an abbreviated remix of the original game, so technically a bit different to play through.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

DRG shocked me how out of left field such a good game just appeared in my life. I tried it on a whim cos it was cheap on Steam and scored overwhelmingly positive. Next thing you know, me and my two irl buddies are playing it together, which hasn't happened since we left school like fifteen years ago.

Same here, tried it over a free weekend and it was just such utterly ridiculous fun that my usual gang had all grabbed it only a few hours later; dig holes looking for whatever and (potentially) dig yourselves into a really bad situation, then fight your way out of it. DRG knows exactly what it is and what it's doing; sure it has its flaws but they're so utterly trivial in the grand scheme of things, and anything that is a big deal at any point generally gets fixed within a few weeks so that whenever someone brings up "GRUGHHH GAME BAD" complaints, they just look like a fool not even a month down the line. Great stuff.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Supremely dope looking Doom TC that's a remake of Iron Assault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmevfcF7YXw

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Supremely dope looking Doom TC that's a remake of Iron Assault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmevfcF7YXw

That makes me curious if a GZDoom MechWarrior could work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well I mean, that's basically it

I think for a real MechWarrior TC you'd have to figure out some funky stuff to make it feel like you're controlling a mech and not just some stompy soldier.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Everybody who wasn't sold on Painkiller needs to take a look at the Painslayer mod for Doom. All the great weapons and mechanics with whatever WADs you want to play! I'm playing Survive in Hell with it and it's a great combo.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm enjoying Halo Infinite quite a bit, and I think 4 is the worst game in the series (haven't played 5, no Xbox)

Related:

https://twitter.com/Animetiddyy/status/1469785548701286401

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm enjoying Halo Infinite quite a bit, and I think 4 is the worst game in the series (haven't played 5, no Xbox)

Related:

https://twitter.com/Animetiddyy/status/1469785548701286401

it's insane how much grunts and barks they recorded for the enemies, i've played it for a week now and you barely hear any repetition

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apparently all of the grunt towers dialog was added during the year delay, so uh, good call

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Barudak posted:

Apparently all of the grunt towers dialog was added during the year delay, so uh, good call

Time well spent because these little guys say some genuinely funny rear end poo poo and have tons of personality.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Halo 5 is on PC as well, but not really worth playing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fame Douglas posted:

Halo 5 is on PC as well

Nope. PC players have been left to wait without hope for Halo: The Jameson Locke Collection

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The thing all these videos of the funniest barks don't show is there are truckloads of different regular combat barks. Who is flanking, if they're getting closer to you while your shield recharges, grenades, the status if their armor, remaining enemy composition all of it gets vocal barks. There seriously has not been as good enemy dialog since FEAR and the talking really helps paper over the number of enemies that can actually be doing things in a fight at any given time (curse you legacy Xbox support)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Nope. PC players have been left to wait without hope for Halo: The Jameson Locke Collection

You're right, I remembered wrong. But you can play it through Cloud Gaming, although I find the image quality quite bad and the input lag, while playable, still noticeable.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Interesting, I was thinking on playing 4 at some point...

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Turin Turambar posted:

Interesting, I was thinking on playing 4 at some point...

It's just an all around really flat, boring, badly paced game. The art style is whack. The plot overwrought. The new enemy type, the Prometheans, are unfun to fight and all their guns just look like vague sci-fi greebled bullshit with no personality.

I will, however, go to bat for the soundtrack, which I thought was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzyr_ZooBqo

Again, I've never played 5 but I will also say the soundtrack to that one is absolute flames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALnZ76A7og

I once saw somebody complain that the soundtrack had too many string instruments. Yeah fool, strings own and stir my emotions like a witch at a cauldron going bubble bubble toil and trouble, what's your point

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 13, 2021

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

vague sci-fi greebled bullshit with no personality.

I mean, that’s just Halo in a nutshell

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the gameplay in the new on is brill, really really fun

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

4 is weird. It very much feels like a game of its time with a linear level style, which while I'm not one of those "ugh, linear games" people, 4's levels just do not feel like a Halo game. The story is over-wrought with one really obnoxious pseudo-antagonist, and Cortana's new design is skeevy looking. The plot doesn't make full sense unless you read some of the books. The new enemy types are "glossy metal bits held together with glowing energy" types and their weapons aren't very interesting.

On the positive side, the actual shooting and guns feel good and there are a few great, memorable setpieces. The campaign is super short, so it's not very painful to finish and there's a bit of fun to be had. It was mostly scary at the time because people were afraid that more Halo games were going to be like it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Halo 4 is complete poo poo. 5 is barely better. Seems like Infinite is the first 343 Halo that isn't crap.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
https://twitter.com/rottenfemur/status/1470098623719485444?s=21

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'd always heard Halo 3 was the best one but I played like 5 minutes of the intro and immediately dropped it because I was pretty burnt out having just played Halo 2. What's so great about it? Does it have rad set pieces like the walking fortress and highway vehicle fight from 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It does have rad setpieces, including making the walking fortress a real fully functional vehicle so you can fight it in wide open areas where it has freedom to move and you have freedom to blow it up yourself in live gameplay rather than a cutscene. Generally it's a more solid and well-put-together campaign than Halo 2, and that was also the first title that let you play it co-op over the internet. I don't know if I'd call it an all-time classic but it should be a significant step up.

It also has an ending that's just about the polar opposite of Halo 2 (as in, it grants lengthy and fulfilling closure)