Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

MF_James posted:

I guarantee that the people farming Mujaki also reported it to stem the tide of p4 time loot so the prices don't tank right away.

Yep. this happened. Looks like they're limiting time loot to time now. On one hand the random loot rather defeats the point of the progression expac like PoP, but on the other hand limiting loot tables to end zones defeats the purpose of a 'randomised' loot server. And yeah these changes always happen after the speed runners and bot crews have exploited the gently caress out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Fanelien posted:

Yep. this happened. Looks like they're limiting time loot to time now. On one hand the random loot rather defeats the point of the progression expac like PoP, but on the other hand limiting loot tables to end zones defeats the purpose of a 'randomised' loot server. And yeah these changes always happen after the speed runners and bot crews have exploited the gently caress out of it.

I mean you gotta have some form of artificial scarcity from the companies standpoint. Having top tier equipment only cost a couple krono vs 20 is a big profit loss for them.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

shirunei posted:

I mean you gotta have some form of artificial scarcity from the companies standpoint. Having top tier equipment only cost a couple krono vs 20 is a big profit loss for them.

I mean, it’s nice that you think people are buying krono directly from DPG…

No one’s doing that. There’s a reason they were on that state department sanctions list a few years back and it goes directly to how that krono market actually operates.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I mean, SOMEONE had to buy that krono at some point in the past, its not all just created out of the ether on reselling sites. Every time someone turns one of those into game time its taken outta the market and DBG is gettin paid

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea they’re definitely in the minority, but some percentage of people are buying directly from DGB.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Never heard anything concrete but a lot of players on Mischief talk about a Krono duping bug years ago in EverQuest 2 making up a significant chunk of Krono in circulation. If so the actual dollar value of a Krono would be less than sticker price.

On the surface it seems plausible. All Access means they’d just need to find a bug to exploit across one of four incredibly dated MMOs with tiny development teams and decades old spaghetti code.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Krono have consistently held around the 50% of retail price point for years. I won’t say there’s never been a dupe bug for them, but the price would dip dramatically and then approach retail over time as the supply dwindled. That hasn’t really happened.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Krono duping is one exploit I have faith in daybreak to brutally ban and rollback for.

Hope people are enjoying PoP on mischief/thornblade. Aradune has entered the desolation of the level 70 era past the first month of Omens. I have a good idea now why people say this era is where TLPs go to die. Anguish is just stupidly undertuned, and I say that as somebody who doesn't give a poo poo about challenge in EQ TLP raiding. It just doesn't have that feeling of progressively outgearing the fights until it is a total stomp. We can't push splits beyond 2 with the admins we have so its just already feeling stale at 1 month in.

DoN sounds like a nothingness expansion for raiding so it's 5 months of this to DoDH which sounds like it has something to it at least. Then PoR is talked about as the worst thing ever conceived so I want to see it just to find out why.

On the bright side it's fun to solo/duo old poo poo as a shaman with the absurd power increase from Omens. When the raid content is super dull there's at least that

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yeah no idea why people bad mouth Omens. Anguish is a great raid zone. The trash/mini bosses are farmable (every 6 hours?) by a decent geared group for some stupidly over powered augs and you can have 5(7?) of them. That's ignoring a lot of 2.0 epics that are very good. Splitpaw becomes a godly place for melee to farm AA. Zone in post raid max buffed. Pop lesson, pull half the zone, pop all power boost/riposte AA's, make crazy AA and log out. Come back in 30mins once AA's come off cool down but with lesson up, rinse repeat until next raid time. It's all pretty tasty cash too via gems. This crazy AA farm lasts for 3 expansions too till it the level cap increases to 75.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
DoN has some excellent money making activities tied to it, and the missions are a nice break from splitpaw. The final raids start introducing mechanics that require players to pay attention, encounters get complicated. It’s fun.

DoDh has some fantastic missions with great rewards and a nice long raid zone at the end.

Prophecy is fine. There’s plenty to do, lots of classes get spells that redefine them going forward and while the final encounter in deathknell historically has been terrrible, it’s because people exploited the intended mechanics, which I believe they fixed 6 months or so ago, so it should be fun.

The level 70 era is where the TLP recyclers complain because the easy krono camps dry up, and generally that’s about the time a new server launch happens, so they just pack it in and start over.

Honestly, it’s better content than vanilla to Luclin.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

loot be wild sometimes

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Tai posted:

Yeah no idea why people bad mouth Omens. Anguish is a great raid zone. The trash/mini bosses are farmable (every 6 hours?) by a decent geared group for some stupidly over powered augs and you can have 5(7?) of them. That's ignoring a lot of 2.0 epics that are very good. Splitpaw becomes a godly place for melee to farm AA. Zone in post raid max buffed. Pop lesson, pull half the zone, pop all power boost/riposte AA's, make crazy AA and log out. Come back in 30mins once AA's come off cool down but with lesson up, rinse repeat until next raid time. It's all pretty tasty cash too via gems. This crazy AA farm lasts for 3 expansions too till it the level cap increases to 75.

The anguish loot is good of course. I just think the boss fights and trash feel inconsequential. This is from a shaman main perspective, I just don't have poo poo to do on a lot of fights. I have a melee dps box that I play terribly and want to improve on so I have that at least. Getting better about having attack on when I use speed focus/destructive force.

Outside of that omens has been fun and the easier tuning has been great for allowing me to two box lots of worthwhile mobs. GoD nameds would pound the bejesus out of me in comparison.

koreban posted:

expansion stuff

Shaman get great spells in every 70 expansion so I am looking forward to that. I'm just annoyed about the number of months that Anguish is relevant raid content. I have the krono to stay subbed so I'll ride it out as long as I can. I can't imagine doing early eras again for a few years minimum.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Omens, and by association all the level 70 cap expansions are terrible. That run of expansions is the true era of meleequest and the server never really recovers from that on a TLP server.(almost) Every caster quits some time during Omens or Dragons and you walk in to TSS with no enchanters, no wizards, no druids, no necros. Resist rates, lack of charm mobs, spell agro still being off the charts crazy especially on DoTs, no fun AAs yet either.

Those expansions in particular are why I will never do another TLP now I've been on one with a guild that's survived to SoF and now almost in SoD. The game is just unfun for quite a few classes during the 70 era.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’ve caster mained that era a half dozen times, so take whatever credibility you want from that. The melee superiority is based on melee rebalancing that was done a decade ago and never fixed to tune properly. You’re absolutely correct that casters come in behind melee in dps metrics, and lots of mobs are highly resistant. I feel for wizards and necros especially, however most other classes get other options of things they can do besides dumping dps on bosses.

If all you play a caster for is watching big numbers, I feel you. There’s some relief in DoDh and PoR, but in TSS casters get real good again. If you play a priest or utility caster, your entire gameplay experience changes in that era.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
So far on Aradune I’ve really enjoyed oow as a caster main. I do see the trend of declining casters but it really started just after pop launch. I don’t feel like our guild has had a steady wizard main since then and we have maybe one wizard box and a lapsed account or two on our roster. In addition a single necro. A handful of mages and encs. Boxing probably helps in providing more to do on a raid and bolstering what is possible when on one’s own, I might have more frustration & ennui if I were only playing the caster.

For those that stuck around though and in the foreseeable future it’s pretty good in regards to being supported with necessary spells and gear is p cheap and abundant. I don’t come near the top of the parse when on a raid with geared mains but sometimes I hit #9 or 10 and I’m ok w/ those table scraps from the monks and zerkers. :unsmith: At least playing a mage I always felt like the raid gearing I was doing was more for furthering group and solo play as much as anything else and that aspect of the game has still been a lot of fun.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

koreban posted:

I’ve caster mained that era a half dozen times, so take whatever credibility you want from that. The melee superiority is based on melee rebalancing that was done a decade ago and never fixed to tune properly. You’re absolutely correct that casters come in behind melee in dps metrics, and lots of mobs are highly resistant. I feel for wizards and necros especially, however most other classes get other options of things they can do besides dumping dps on bosses.

If all you play a caster for is watching big numbers, I feel you. There’s some relief in DoDh and PoR, but in TSS casters get real good again. If you play a priest or utility caster, your entire gameplay experience changes in that era.

The issue my guild had is by the time we rolled in to TSS we had 1 main wizard, 1 box enchanter, 1 main mage, no druids, no necros at all. And now you need enchanters for almost every encounter going forward. Nearly a year of being irrelevant as a DPS caster, or essentially being a buff box on a raid(or even most group content) because so much is mez and charm immune is just too long. Couple that with the raid encounters still effectively being tank it til it dies while curing things until DoDh/PoR it's a real slog of an era. It just encourages casters to quit.

Once TSS unlocked though, it's great again. Wizards do appreciable damage, the new ranks of SCS mean you're not pulling threat every other cast, SoF makes mages disgusting with new pets and Shock of the Many, Enchanters get things to do that aren't mezzing and charming but not everything is immune now and a well played enchanter has a lot to do.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fanelien posted:

Once TSS unlocked though, it's great again. Wizards do appreciable damage, the new ranks of SCS mean you're not pulling threat every other cast, SoF makes mages disgusting with new pets and Shock of the Many, Enchanters get things to do that aren't mezzing and charming but not everything is immune now and a well played enchanter has a lot to do.

As someone who just started the game and currently has a 50 chanter I would like to know more.

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!

Indecisive posted:

loot be wild sometimes

Is this a random miniboss in pofire? Jesus christ

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

As someone who just started the game and currently has a 50 chanter I would like to know more.

I haven't played beyond Omens but have read up a bit and played with a heroic enc out of curiosity. They eventually get really powerful caster dps buffs. The first meaningful one is Mana Flare in DoDh (short duration/limited charges buff that procs extra damage on spell cast). I think in the 80-85 range they start to get their full kit which includes caster buffing group auras, long CD AA burns, and group recourse buffs that fire from enc nukes.

They also get hella runes, the most raid relevant are probably the spell/dot absorbing runes. The omens group spell rune is much more mana efficient than a priest single target healing that same amount of damage. Healing raid damage is kind of trivial in omens but I expect those spell runes to be required at some point.

A fun utility they get is Beguiler's Banishment which knocks back, roots and mem blurs a group of mobs and seems really fun to use for group game pulling.

I suggest messing around with a heroic character on Miragul if you want a preview. The class definitely seems to get a cool niche, I think they just suffer from comparison to bards who are an all situation God-class. It's like druid vs shaman and paladin vs SK.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Solarin posted:

A fun utility they get is Beguiler's Banishment which knocks back, roots and mem blurs a group of mobs and seems really fun to use for group game pulling.

There’s a single target and group version of this AA. It’s loving amazing. It makes crowd control so drat easy. Same with soloing. And pulling.

Honestly this is the best single thing in the Enchanter kit. You will loving love it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solarin posted:

I haven't played beyond Omens but have read up a bit and played with a heroic enc out of curiosity. They eventually get really powerful caster dps buffs. The first meaningful one is Mana Flare in DoDh (short duration/limited charges buff that procs extra damage on spell cast). I think in the 80-85 range they start to get their full kit which includes caster buffing group auras, long CD AA burns, and group recourse buffs that fire from enc nukes.

They also get hella runes, the most raid relevant are probably the spell/dot absorbing runes. The omens group spell rune is much more mana efficient than a priest single target healing that same amount of damage. Healing raid damage is kind of trivial in omens but I expect those spell runes to be required at some point.

I suggest messing around with a heroic character on Miragul if you want a preview. The class definitely seems to get a cool niche, I think they just suffer from comparison to bards who are an all situation God-class. It's like druid vs shaman and paladin vs SK.

Thanks for the write-up.

Was also thinking about building a solo toon to power level with my chanter. Ranger looked like it had all the utility I wanted to help the chanter quest while also being a good target for chanter haste and whatnot. I tried a Necro because I played warlock on WoW and dots are fun but that seems to be basically all it does.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Necros have a ton of utility other than dots in different situations but I think they make a pretty bad box for the most part. Necro main with a box bard is pretty OP though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

In my guild on Mischief if you got attendance ticks for all the raiding done today you would have earned almost 2.2 million plat (roughly 11 krono's worth), but I had work so I earned a mere 1.53 million.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Anyone in the thread have any experience selling Krono? Thinking it might not be the worst idea in the world to look into selling maybe fifty or so if it’s not too risky/an enormous pain.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

BGrifter posted:

Anyone in the thread have any experience selling Krono? Thinking it might not be the worst idea in the world to look into selling maybe fifty or so if it’s not too risky/an enormous pain.

Ectunnel.com

I've not personally sold any myself, but I'd start there. I'm familiar enough with redguides (sister site) to recommend them. Also, the site owner is/was a goon at one point.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

One in the Bum posted:

Ectunnel.com

I've not personally sold any myself, but I'd start there. I'm familiar enough with redguides (sister site) to recommend them. Also, the site owner is/was a goon at one point.

Thanks! I’ll look around after my lunch break.

Anything I should be doing to mitigate risk like making up accounts to trade the Krono through first? Or trading small amounts over time to a mule account before selling? This is new territory for me. I’ve always been too terrified of getting banned in MMOs to risk it in the past.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I think your biggest risk is the buyers doing chargebacks or some kind of payment dispute. If you are in a guild maybe try and sell them to known people first.

I'm not sure I've heard about buying/selling krono being a risky thing at all from the standpoint of your account. Keeping the bulk of your krono isolated on an account away from the trades can't hurt though.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Was also thinking about building a solo toon to power level with my chanter. Ranger looked like it had all the utility I wanted to help the chanter quest while also being a good target for chanter haste and whatnot. I tried a Necro because I played warlock on WoW and dots are fun but that seems to be basically all it does.

Are you leveling the alt to box with your enchanter or just PLing them up then playing each character solo?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solarin posted:

Are you leveling the alt to box with your enchanter or just PLing them up then playing each character solo?

Not sure yet. I do need someone to track and pick locks for my epic. What level does a char need to be to do those things competently? Can I fake them to 20 and just keep, for example, a rogue or ranger stealthed and only there to do their job? I understand that a bard does both of those things. But I really don't want to play a bard.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I think all the locked doors on the enchanter epic can be bypassed with charming a summoning mob, sending it after a mob in the room and then breaking charm. The first thing your former charm does is summon you right in.

You can also send a pet through a locked door, aggro a target then use sit aggro to make them run at you. They'll pop past the locked door after running at it a few seconds, from there you can mez/mem blur and do whatever quest hand in.

I remember helping enchanters in the Hole using these techniques. Just needed to have Rapture loaded to mez the guy in there after pulling him out or getting summoned in.

Figuring out places to abuse charm pets summoning was always fun to me, the best one was probably Seb crypt. You could send a pet between the spore king up to the crypt nameds and easily move between those camps

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solarin posted:

I think all the locked doors on the enchanter epic can be bypassed with charming a summoning mob, sending it after a mob in the room and then breaking charm. The first thing your former charm does is summon you right in.

You can also send a pet through a locked door, aggro a target then use sit aggro to make them run at you. They'll pop past the locked door after running at it a few seconds, from there you can mez/mem blur and do whatever quest hand in.

I remember helping enchanters in the Hole using these techniques. Just needed to have Rapture loaded to mez the guy in there after pulling him out or getting summoned in.

Figuring out places to abuse charm pets summoning was always fun to me, the best one was probably Seb crypt. You could send a pet between the spore king up to the crypt nameds and easily move between those camps

Right now I'm up to getting this guy: Wraith of Jaxion in the city of mist. He's behind at least one locked door up in the sky with no key. The key (which I camped twice) in this zone doesn't help. The zone is generally 35-40. What level rogue would I have to bring to help out with this?

Edit: or bard for that matter.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 19, 2021

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

for that particular part the captains key should open the door downstairs, when you get to the part up in the sky you can use levitate to float between the platforms to get around the need for a lockpicker. It is at least theoretically possible for a level 60 in-era chanter to solo it altho it is quite challenging, on live im sure its much easier

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Indecisive posted:

for that particular part the captains key should open the door downstairs, when you get to the part up in the sky you can use levitate to float between the platforms to get around the need for a lockpicker.

How does this work? This particular section involves an open walkway leading to a locked building. How do I float off of one walkway onto the other? Do I just aim at the other platform and running jump over there?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How does this work? This particular section involves an open walkway leading to a locked building. How do I float off of one walkway onto the other? Do I just aim at the other platform and running jump over there?

you can't jump while levitating, but there is little raised bumps near the door that give you enough height that you will be able to walk across before falling too low. (and make sure your character is looking up - if your character is looking down it falls faster - default hotkeys are pageup / pagedown, or use first person view). Hug the wall around the building to minimize the distance you need to travel

edit: hell i checked youtube and found this video where some P99 player talks about it at about 28:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ACMyyBfg0A&t=1730s

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 19, 2021

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Right now I'm up to getting this guy: Wraith of Jaxion in the city of mist. He's behind at least one locked door up in the sky with no key. The key (which I camped twice) in this zone doesn't help. The zone is generally 35-40. What level rogue would I have to bring to help out with this?

Edit: or bard for that matter.

So using a rogue is easier, but you CAN get on to the skyway without picking any locks. if you have good platforming skills.

To the right from zone-in, there's a temple with some banners on the wall next to it. You have to jump from the temple's balcony to the banner holder, then to either the top of the walls or the temple roof. (Sorry, it's been a while.) once you're on the walls, you can do some more levitate and jumping tricks to get on the skyway just outside of where it connects to the building.

I used to do this on live, where I could solo the resulting trains from jumping like an idiot and falling all over the zone a dozen times. But it's technically an option if you can't get a rogue with 200 lockpick to come out.

Levitate is incredibly exploitable and awesome once you get used to using it. I really miss the old bobbing levitate that was even more exploitable.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Yeah the idea with levitate is you stand on a post by that first required locked door on the sky platform then hug the wall going counter clockwise. If your FPS is high you barely lose elevation when levitating and can float to the north path. At the final platform you can /tar and pet pull everything out since it's a small space.

I haven't really played a lock picker enough to answer your question about skill requirement. I would try in the Rogue and Bard class channels on Mischief. Usually there's 1-2 people that have a clue in there.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll give it a try.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

jetz0r posted:

To the right from zone-in, there's a temple with some banners on the wall next to it. You have to jump from the temple's balcony to the banner holder, then to either the top of the walls or the temple roof. (Sorry, it's been a while.) once you're on the walls, you can do some more levitate and jumping tricks to get on the skyway just outside of where it connects to the building.

I remember finding that banner on my latest trip in CoM and not being able to make it to the wall. Maybe it was a race/size issue but it was tough. Fortunately that wasn't necessary, the guard captain drops a key that lets you get up onto the walls through those long hallways at the base of the elevator way in the back of the dungeon.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

and also because I love sharing knowledge about exploits: doors are a client side thing as far as EQ is concerned and you can straight up delete a zone's 3D object file and the zone loads with no doors (or any other non base geometry asset for that matter). It's one of the easiest hacks I've ever seen in an online game. I don't recommend it obviously but it is funny

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Indecisive posted:

you can't jump while levitating, but there is little raised bumps near the door that give you enough height that you will be able to walk across before falling too low. (and make sure your character is looking up - if your character is looking down it falls faster - default hotkeys are pageup / pagedown, or use first person view). Hug the wall around the building to minimize the distance you need to travel

edit: hell i checked youtube and found this video where some P99 player talks about it at about 28:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ACMyyBfg0A&t=1730s

Success following this advice/video. Didn't need to get on top of the door. Found a nice defiant charm too, which I desperately needed.

Up next is Felia Goldwing. She's a roamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Success following this advice/video. Didn't need to get on top of the door. Found a nice defiant charm too, which I desperately needed.

Up next is Felia Goldwing. She's a roamer.

Yeah, on live EQ/TLPs you don't drop as quick as you do on the older clients, so you generally don't need the extra height offered in some of the P99 tricks.