Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They'd go through an apprenticeship period first before anything like that, but regardless, despite his cool demeanor I believe he's just not thinking clearly RN out of concern for his wives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
He is clearly evil, an evil pimp ninja

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Conspiratiorist posted:

The Demon Slayers should give up fighting demons in secret and instead use their supernatural swording skills to violently overthrow the government and implement a cultural revolution more in line with 21st century western humanism.
This is set in the Taisho period which was a far more liberal period in Japanese history compared to what uh... came directly before and after it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When you think about it

The real demons

is men

*is torn in half by demons*

…I… was wrong!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Maybe the real demon.... was him *points to demon*

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Never trust a Wife Guy, especially not a Triple Wife Guy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Conspiratiorist posted:

The Demon Slayers should give up fighting demons in secret and instead use their supernatural swording skills to violently overthrow the government and implement a cultural revolution more in line with 21st century western humanism.

I mean the Demon Slayers are contemporary with the rise of Bolshevism so... why not?

E: KnY takes place roughly 30 years or so after the publication of Engels' The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State too

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 14, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Eej posted:

I mean the Demon Slayers are contemporary with the rise of Bolshevism so... why not?

E: KnY takes place roughly 30 years or so after the publication of Engels' The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State too

So the plan is to deprive the demons of targets by causing entirely avoidable famines brought about by a mix of agricultural incompetence among political appointees and deliberate withholding of food from unwanted population groups?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Bust Rodd posted:

There was never a time period in history where kidnapping women wasn’t hosed up, OP
the "cool" thing about bridenapping is that its often in response to bride price systems, because kidnapping a woman and marrying her is much cheaper (obviously). thank you capitalism

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I haven't seen the new stuff in Season 2 yet, but I don't think I've ever hated a group of characters that I think I'm "supposed" to like more than the Hashira. To me, they were introduced in the worst way possible... a buncha one-dimensional characters who treated Tanjiro and Nezuko like garbage, and are extremely two-faced about the Master they supposedly love and adore. And to be honest, all it would take for me to open up the door to liking them, is for them to just apologize. But I feel like I'm already supposed to just like them, so I don't think I'll ever get the satisfaction of seeing them own up to their mistakes. Even Rengoku only said he was sorry seconds before he died.

I mean, I'm still mad at them for hating on Nezuko, and really only think Shinobu and whatsisface the guy who found Tanjiro are okay.

It's not a big old negative or anything, and their reasoning for it makes a fair bit of sense, but even beyond the Hashira, the characters in this series are quirky and outlandish to the point of rubbing me the wrong way a lot of the time. Not like "I hate this show" wrong way but more like "And nothing of value was lost if they were to die" the wrong way.

Like Zenitsu!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Inosuke has undergone incredible growth.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I'm rooting for the swordsmiths, personally. No crime in this manga is greater than when Inosuke took a couple of rocks to his brand new sword in front of the dude.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just finished the manga. God drat what a rollercoaster the last half of it is :stare:

The pace is nuts

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I really, really hope they do what they should've done with The Promised Neverland and put some breathing room back in into the KNY anime. You could feel the premature cancellation of both series in the back half and I'd love to know about a couple of dropped plot points in here.

But evidently I don't understand how the anime industry works because I am utterly baffled by what happened to TPN. I have no explanation. There was so much money to be made from a proper adaptation.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
You could probably add like a hundred chapters to the manga without it feeling like filler at all. So many characters and plots to potentially explore.

So yeah, I hope the author has some input in this and they add some new material as well

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
The anime original pre-movie episode was pretty good, and gives me hope that they intend to at least partially fill out the back half. That would be very nice.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Das Boo posted:

I really, really hope they do what they should've done with The Promised Neverland and put some breathing room back in into the KNY anime. You could feel the premature cancellation of both series in the back half and I'd love to know about a couple of dropped plot points in here.

But evidently I don't understand how the anime industry works because I am utterly baffled by what happened to TPN. I have no explanation. There was so much money to be made from a proper adaptation.

The popular hearsay that I keep seeing is that they were told they were getting one more season and that's it, and then instead of doing a cour's worth of good adaptation and banking on the reception being good enough to change people's minds, they just... tried to cram it all in there

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I hadn't heard those rumors, but what I did see from announcements was that the TPN author was on-board for rewriting S2 as an anime-original storyline, which rather than because of lack of a possible 3rd season I assumed they were doing because TPN just kinda falls apart after the fantastic Goldy Pond arc (which the anime skipped entirely lmao).

As for KnY, the manga holds up even with the author choosing to end it prematurely, and given its massive explosion in popularity I have little doubt it'll get adapted in full. Ufotable is certainly elevating the original work, so it'd be nice if the last arc was fleshed out a little more like how we got Rengoku's episode, but wholesale filler arcs seems a much more remote possibility.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
How in the hell did something that is so internationally popular and a money printer like KnY get canceled?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
it got cancelled before it got popular

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If I remember correctly, an advert announced the final arc of the KNY manga in February of 2019, the anime started in April 2019, and then it loving exploded. It's apparently very unusual for an anime to elevate its manga to that degree but since the wheels had already started turning, Jump had no choice but to follow through.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m sure everyone ITT is aware, but there are legitimately few industries more merciless and cutthroat that monthly manga production. If you don’t almost immediately start trending upwards towards the big dawgs then you basically are DOA.

I haven’t read the manga (of anything, ever, lol) but the visual rhythm of the show and it’s frenetic and energy-driven pacing are the reason the battles carry so much emotional weight. I could easily see this directorial approach elevating the otherwise completely by-the-books plotline

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It also wasn't cancelled, that's hearsay. Sometimes a writer wants to wrap things up faster for personal reasons, and so they cut off some loose ends and speed up the pacing. In the case of KnY, nothing screams "was suddenly cancelled" but rather "wants to rush to the conclusion". It also wasn't unpopular or anything before it ended, though yeah it didn't get massively popular until the anime aired as it was in its final arc.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I bet you an executive is waiting for the opportunity to cancel One Piece. He’ll die waiting, but he's ready

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

christmas boots posted:

I bet you an executive is waiting for the opportunity to cancel One Piece. He’ll die waiting, but he's ready

The Grinch who Stole Christmas.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yawgmoft posted:

How in the hell did something that is so internationally popular and a money printer like KnY get canceled?

KnY was wrapped up by the author for personal reasons.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m sure everyone ITT is aware, but there are legitimately few industries more merciless and cutthroat that monthly manga production. If you don’t almost immediately start trending upwards towards the big dawgs then you basically are DOA.

It goes double for Shonen Jump too. Lots of newbies I was genuinely enjoying got cancelled before the 20th chapter, before they could even get to the plots they wanted to tell, and it sucks every time.

It wasn't the case for KnY which managed to get to an ending, but god reading Shonen Jump new manga can be really sad because they may get cancelled at any moment.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Bust Rodd posted:

I haven’t read the manga (of anything, ever, lol) but the visual rhythm of the show and it’s frenetic and energy-driven pacing are the reason the battles carry so much emotional weight. I could easily see this directorial approach elevating the otherwise completely by-the-books plotline

I mean there's literally like ten million trash manga out there waiting to be the next big thing. It's gotta be super easy to even go to popular series and just say "Look if you don't want this I could throw a rock and find some guy drawing weird pictures of glowy ninjas"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The reasons were never officially confirmed but heavily speculated on by Japanese tabloids. The rumors were it was family issues that were serious enough that the author had to move home from Tokyo, with the implication we may not see another real work from them for a long time.

Dunno how much I buy that. Arakawa took long breaks due to giving birth twice and then having her parents become seriously ailing and then die one after the other, and she's back with a new series again.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There's also talk that the greater Aniplex+ufotable megalith having cozied up to the author in an attempt to grease the runway for any follow up works she might have cooking

If that's true, for everyone involved's sake, hopefully any follow up she makes turns out to be more of a Maison Ikkoku and less of a Samurai 8

That being said, if they want to milk Kimetsu with just spinoffs and whatnot for however long, it'd be easy to do so. I bet those comics by the guy who does Fate/Type Redline are pretty good, he's a good rear end artist

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I expect One Piece will still not be finished when I'm sixty-four.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

OnimaruXLR posted:

If that's true, for everyone involved's sake, hopefully any follow up she makes turns out to be more of a Maison Ikkoku and less of a Samurai 8

One sec, looking up Samurai 8....

Masashi Kishimoto did what?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AtheistMantis posted:

One sec, looking up Samurai 8....

Masashi Kishimoto did what?

Is it a sequel to the hit anime Samurai 7?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Watched the first two episodes of season 2 and I don't know what it is but ever since the Mugen Train film the series has become a lot more engaging to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Daki fight is starting. I recall this is overall the longest battle in the series. (Though I might be misremembering.) Either way it's a pretty good one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Every episode feels like five minutes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Daki fight is starting. I recall this is overall the longest battle in the series. (Though I might be misremembering.) Either way it's a pretty good one.

I haven't caught up on the entire manga (frankly I like the anime by a few magnitudes better so I'm just gonna watch it instead) but is it even longer than the final battle???

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OnimaruXLR posted:

I haven't caught up on the entire manga (frankly I like the anime by a few magnitudes better so I'm just gonna watch it instead) but is it even longer than the final battle???

I just decided to check. The fight with Daki and the final battle are the same length both 20 chapters. Which in the manga means it's the equivalent of the start to Zenitsu's introduction.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just decided to check. The fight with Daki and the final battle are the same length both 20 chapters. Which in the manga means it's the equivalent of the start to Zenitsu's introduction.

Gdamn are we going to namek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tabletops posted:

Gdamn are we going to namek

Nah just the rest of the season.