Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, the statement that 40% of all Corona cases in London are already omicron sounds incredibly excessive, at this point in time. I wonder where he pulled that number from.

I don't think it's that nuts with the Rt that Omicron seems to have. We're at 20+% in Ontario right now, it's already dominant in one city, and it's expected to be dominant in the province this week.

Delta is just above an Rt of 1 and Omicron is at 3.31 here, with those numbers it doesn't take long for a variant to dominate.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like conservative resistance to covid stuff is definitely real as a factor but it's way more people not caring or not thinking it effects them, more than some calculated "we like covid because we calculated racism!".

I don’t think anyone has written about the extent of Dumb Person Logic when it comes to the unvaccinated. Dumb Person Logic is the intuition that A) if I haven’t gotten sick yet, that means I am different because I eat/take _____ and therefore can never get sick from COVID, and B) I took a COVID test once and it was negative so I don’t need the vaccine (I hear this one probably four times per day.) Now combine this with C) my friends got the vaccine and the second shot made them sick! and D) on the news they said it gives you a blood clot. Put all that together and it makes intuitive sense to choose not to subject yourself to known risk and rather trust God and vitamins to protect you from a potential risk.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Yeah, the statement that 40% of all Corona cases in London are already omicron sounds incredibly excessive, at this point in time. I wonder where he pulled that number from.

As excessive as it sounds, it seems consistent with the data on how quickly omicron came to dominate in South Africa.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

the holy poopacy posted:

As excessive as it sounds, it seems consistent with the data on how quickly omicron came to dominate in South Africa.

At that point, South Africa had really low numbers though. This is still an exponential growth which implies that it would grow slower at low numbers. Unless the UK imported thousands of cases, it should take a bit longer for omicron to catch up with community spread.
And the total number of active corona cases hasn't gone up incredibly much in the UK yet. Unless delta suddenly stopped infecting at the same time, there's no real way.
If 50% of the active cases were omicron and there's no real reason for delta to wane, you'd expect the total cases to double.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 13, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is there any reason to think the UK didn't import a whole bunch of cases. Weren't like 20 people on a plane to Amsterdam found to have omicron the day after it was first identified?

Do we think omicron waited to be officially sequenced before getting on a plane because idk it would be rude to show up unannounced I guess?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

VitalSigns posted:

Is there any reason to think the UK didn't import a whole bunch of cases. Weren't like 20 people on a plane to Amsterdam found to have omicron the day after it was first identified?

Do we think omicron waited to be officially sequenced before getting on a plane because idk it would be rude to show up unannounced I guess?
Hasn't evidence emerged that omicron was basically everywhere in some small degree like 2+ weeks before the reports came out of South Africa?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Is there any info if the increase spread is because it's better at infecting unvaccinated people who haven't had covid, unvaccinated people who've had covid, or vaccinated people? Or all three?

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 13, 2021

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

:siren: :siren: IN STOCK ALERT :siren: :siren:

iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test, 2 Tests per Pack,FDA EUA Authorized OTC at-Home Self Test, Results in 15 Minutes with Non-invasive Nasal Swab, Easy to Use & No Discomfort
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KZ6TBNY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_1Q6XYC1DJXYKHQY7WH7N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

At that point, South Africa had really low numbers though. This is still an exponential growth which implies that it would grow slower at low numbers. Unless the UK imported thousands of cases, it should take a bit longer for omicron to catch up with community spread.
And the total number of active corona cases hasn't gone up incredibly much in the UK yet. Unless delta suddenly stopped infecting at the same time, there's no real way.
If 50% of the active cases were omicron and there's no real reason for delta to wane, you'd expect the total cases to double.

There is actually a lot of surveillance and monitoring that the UK Government has (or anyone who wants to search for it):

Perhaps the information is from The UKHSA briefing #31?

Or you could see if someone has aggregated that data for you elsewhere, and then put it in a tweet?
https://twitter.com/AlastairGrant4/status/1469663923662209027

Oh, do you want some estimates for cases based on the current prevalence and doubling rates?

Yes, I do believe you will see an increase in cases.

edit: reduce the dick factor

Blitter fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 13, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

cr0y posted:

:siren: :siren: IN STOCK ALERT :siren: :siren:

iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test, 2 Tests per Pack,FDA EUA Authorized OTC at-Home Self Test, Results in 15 Minutes with Non-invasive Nasal Swab, Easy to Use & No Discomfort
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KZ6TBNY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_1Q6XYC1DJXYKHQY7WH7N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Are these hard to come by for you in the USA?
I tend to get covid tests in my local stores or apothecaries at about 3€ a piece. Also, professional tests are free again.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Blitter posted:

Gosh, gee I wonder if there only was surveillance and monitoring that could have provided these figures to the government or anyone who can bother the slightest to actually loving SEARCH FOR INFORMATION:

Or you could see if someone has aggregated that data for you elsewhere, and then put it in a tweet for the incredibly lazy?

Oh, do you want some estimates for cases based on the current prevalence and doubling rates?

Why the lovely attitude? You could have just posted all that without being a complete rear end in a top hat.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

VitalSigns posted:

Is there any reason to suspect that South Africa is the origin of Omicron strains BA.1 and BA.2 and that it hasn't previously been circulating throughout Europe undetected?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I tend to get covid tests in my local stores or apothecaries at about 3€ a piece. Also, professional tests are free again.

You are adorable

Depending on in-store availability on average it's easier for me to get illicit narcotics than it is for at home covid tests, availability seems to come and go which leads to really nasty hoarding behaviors when stock does show up.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 13, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Faster just to say no. Kills the same != doesn't kill

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Rapid tests are obscenely hard to get in Ontario. You can pay $40 per test to have them done for you at a pharmacy, or order from relatively obscure online sites for about $15 a test. There's absolutely no way to walk into a store and purchase a rapid test - it's not even a supply issue, it's just not a thing - I'm not sure if there's something preventing authorization or what, but you can't purchase them retail.

It's a big controversy because the federal government gave ontario a shitload of rapid tests, which have all been distributed but apparently not used (they all went to big businesses who basically have them collecting dust on a shelf somewhere).

I just had a PCR test done that I had to lie about because of our ridiculous requirements - my only symptom was a sore throat, which isn't enough to allow you to take a symptomatic PCR test, but disqualifies you from taking a asymptomatic PCR / rapid test.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Blitter posted:

Gosh, gee I wonder if there only was surveillance and monitoring that could have provided these figures to the government or anyone who can bother the slightest to actually loving SEARCH FOR INFORMATION:

Or you could see if someone has aggregated that data for you elsewhere, and then put it in a tweet for the incredibly lazy?

This is surprising and interesting information. Germany is still on a level where it's maybe a few hundred O cases total, compared to 20.000 delta cases a day and I assumed it would be similar. But I guess the UK tends to be quicker on these kind of things. Also I guess there's a difference between the ratio of new cases and the ratio of active cases. The later would have been less plausible to have caught up.

But yeah, you're coming of as a bit of an rear end in a top hat there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 13, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Solkanar512 posted:

Why the lovely attitude? You could have just posted all that without being a complete rear end in a top hat.

I have no idea why people feel compelled to come up with their own competing theories or denials and then post without some data to confirm or deny their speculation.

Many non d&d regulars get poo poo on for exactly that approach and are repeatedly told the premise of this subforum is informed and data driven posts not twitter bullshit or zero effort blind speculation.

This is information made public and it is *very* easy to find. It's literally linked to the public announcement from the PM.

I actually thought I was being kind of snarky not a complete rear end in a top hat! I'll tone that post down.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 13, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
Denmark and the UK's omicron progression is going to uh, inform the world imo:
https://twitter.com/ProfPHansen/status/1470028370075435020
First 2 known cases on November 27th, and will dominate delta by tomorrow night, in an 80% vaccinated population.

My nurse and doctor friends are absolutely crushed by the prospect of this on top of the ongoing delta cases. I hope everyone is being suitably wary and stays safe.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Blitter posted:

Denmark and the UK's omicron progression is going to uh, inform the world imo:

I particularly liked this one from Denmark

Also, norwegian health derpartment just said the numbers from Denmark suggest that Omicron is no milder than Delta, which if true is a bit yikes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TheRat posted:

Also, norwegian health derpartment just said the numbers from Denmark suggest that Omicron is no milder than Delta, which if true is a bit yikes.

Link?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Is there any reason to suspect that South Africa is the origin of Omicron strains BA.1 and BA.2 and that it hasn't previously been circulating throughout Europe undetected?

There's no reason to suspect that SA is the origin, but the theory that it has been circulating undetected in it's current form is extremely shaky given how quickly it's now taking off in places with good surveillance and ongoing very high Delta epidemics. It had no doubt made it's way to other countries shortly before detection in SA, but I don't see any way Jorge Cabellero's speculation that it circulated in September and was squashed by Delta could be correct unless it was some ancestral form.

Main Paineframe posted:

I love how with every variant we have to spend pages arguing over the propriety of the statement "it hasn't killed anyone yet", even though there is not yet any proven case of the variant killing anyone, as if we have a responsibility to ignore facts and data for the sake of rhetorical impact because Something Awful Dot Com is on the frontline of the meme wars or something.

Yes, we loving know it's going to kill people. It's not loving rocket science. But there hasn't yet been any verified case of this variant killing anyone yet, and this stupid loving smug metacommentary every time that fact comes up is loving annoying! Just tolerate it for a loving week until dead people start showing up the way you want them to, okay?

What's annoying is seeing people pretend that "well no one has died" is evidence that omicron is less deadly, or not worrying. It's not any such thing and it's the same old grasping at straws poo poo people in this thread have been doing for the last year.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 13, 2021

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.nrk.no/urix/tall-fra-danmark_-omikron-forer-til-like-mange-innleggelser-som-delta-1.15769977

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Faster just to say no. Kills the same != doesn't kill

Technically nobody is saying it doesn't kill today either, just endlessly harping on the fact that no deaths have been confirmed yet as if that matters and the arrow of time doesn't move relentlessly forward

Reminds me of the people harping on the fact that the India variant was only in India last April as if only the present moment mattered and that somehow it meant that the virus wasn't gonna do what it did, just grasping at straws

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Stickman posted:

There's no reason to suspect that SA is the origin, but the theory that it has been circulating undetected in it's current form is extremely shaky given how quickly it's now taking off in places with good surveillance and ongoing very high Delta epidemics. It had no doubt made it's way to other countries shortly before detection in SA, but I don't see any way Jorge Cabellero's speculation that it circulated in September and was squashed by Delta could be correct unless it was some ancestral form.

https://virological.org/t/omicron-is-a-multiply-recombinant-set-of-variants-that-have-evolved-over-many-months/775

Title: Omicron is a Multiply Recombinant Set of Variants That Have Evolved Over Many Months

quote:

Over the last several weeks, a novel variant of concern (VOC) of SARS-CoV-2, designated B.1.1.569, has appeared in South Africa and is rapidly spreading around the world. Within the last week or so, two sub-variant species have been identified, named BA.1 and BA.2. While it has already been noted that the two sub-variants are recombinants, it is not generally appreciated how multiply recombinant they are, nor is it yet clear from what progenitor Omicron arose, or over what time scale.

From the list of non-synonymous mutations (see Excel panel below) it is possible to delineate as many as 8, and at the very least 4 different segments that differ in their relatedness between BA.1 and BA.2, as well as their relatedness to a pre-Alpha sequence, dating to early 2020, from which most of the Omicron sequence appears to be derived.

Phylograms presented in preprint form (1) depict the origin of Omicron independently of any other variant, with an origin close to the common early branchpoint with Alpha and Lambda in the PGII group of variants. This variant has been evolving undetected for many months, producing not only a large of number of mutations, but a substantial variety between the two sub-species as well. Relative to the reference sequence designated by NCBI as NC_045512, there are 21 amino acid changes in Alpha (B.1.17 plus E484K), 49 in BA.1 and 51 in BA.2. I derived the above list list from the Stanford Variant graphic (2). Eight common substitutions are found throughout the genome between Alpha and BA.1, and six in BA.2. These provide a general Alpha-related roadmap to Omicron. They include the 3 amino acid deletion on nsp6, the RDRP P323L, the S del69-70 in BA.1, the S del144-145 in BA.1, the S E484K/A, S N501Y, S D614G, SP681H, and the trinucleotide substitution that yields N R203K and N G204K (the real purpose of which is to duplicate the ACGAAC splice acceptor site and a novel mRNA for the N2 region of N (3). These markers are sufficient to establish an Alpha like progenitor, even though the Alpha and Omicron lineages have a preponderant number of unique mutations indicating divergent evolution since early 2020.

I am being reminded of how Delta was originally B.1.617 which was then subdivided into B.1.617.1, B.1.617.2, and B.1.617.3, and it was B.1.617.2 that took off and became the primary Delta lineage.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
e: misread the policy

e: double edit — here's a good (different) policy update/change to share w/ your folks

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1470402007718678535

Petey fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 13, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

Technically nobody is saying it doesn't kill today either, just endlessly harping on the fact that no deaths have been confirmed yet as if that matters and the arrow of time doesn't move relentlessly forward

Then they should hurry up and confirm some deaths so you can stop being annoying.

it's not the first literal confirmed death that matters, what people are really waiting for is death data in general, of which there is none because no one with a confirmed case is managing to die so far.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Then they should hurry up and confirm some deaths so you can stop being annoying.

it's not the first literal confirmed death that matters, what people are really waiting for is death data in general, of which there is none because no one with a confirmed case is managing to die so far.

Yes, this is correct. Nobody is saying that Omicron is harmless, or that you can't die from it and the first death is absolutely meaningless on the grand scale of things. We're waiting for the first 100 or so, to have any sort of data on the fatality. It makes makes a huge difference if that happens within the first 10.000 infections or the first billion.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Why is the focus on if it causes death? If the hospitals are overloaded with people needing ambulances, nurses and oxygen it's still really bad and could cause health system collapse, no?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

droll posted:

Why is the focus on if it causes death? If the hospitals are overloaded with people needing ambulances, nurses and oxygen it's still really bad and could cause health system collapse, no?

Sure, but that's not much different than what's already happening.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
It's about to accelerate

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

droll posted:

It's about to accelerate

Maybe? We aren't sure about that yet, it seems.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

How are u posted:

Maybe? We aren't sure about that yet, it seems.

Denmark is about to find out! Meanwhile, booster Friday for me. GF already got booster as she has been administering vaccines.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

droll posted:

Right now people are very focused on death rates because the only country with enough omicron to be generating any data either isn't generating data, or IS generating data that is the insanely different than what anyone expected.

Everyone is sitting around holding their breath to see it get to denmark or the US or something and go 'oh well, now people died, south africa was just being crazy reporting their deaths" which is honestly the most likely outcome, but every day omicron sucks at killing people is a day south africa is getting a point towards "no, they reported it right, it's the virus that changed"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

the only country with enough omicron to be generating any data

Uh, yea, about that https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1470491702725124109

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Petey posted:

e: misread the policy

e: double edit — here's a good (different) policy update/change to share w/ your folks

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1470402007718678535

Wow, maybe they should consider sending tests out to whoever loving wants them then!

e: to be clear it's unambiguously good that they are suggesting this, but it makes that flippant poo poo Psaki pulled the other day even more irritating.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I mean, that is what I was saying, going by current UK data the death rate of omicron is 0.0% exactly. Which is probably not meaningful, it's too soon, so everyone is waiting for people to die so they can get more realistic numbers. Because there is only one country on earth where the "it's too soon" doesn't apply and the numbers there are extremely screwy beyond all reason.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Western Australia has announced it will reopen its borders to the rest of the country and the world on February 5. Unless I'm mistaken, by that point it will be the last place in the Western world to have relinquished a COVID-zero strategy and status quo. The only remaining places will be China/HK/Taiwan and a handful of tiny South Pacific nations.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-13/wa-border-open-date-announced-by-mark-mcgowan/100683620

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If Omicron is really all that more infectious, I wonder if it'll be the one to end China's attempt at zero covid.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

What's annoying is seeing people pretend that "well no one has died" is evidence that omicron is less deadly, or not worrying. It's not any such thing and it's the same old grasping at straws poo poo people in this thread have been doing for the last year.

One can find a nice overview of omicron mutation accumulations on the site below. Variants with various combinations of the mutations have been circulating in the population for a year. It is only now that some lucky virus managed to collect them all, probably via recombination with co-infecting variants in some poor schmucks.

https://galaxyproject.eu/posts/2021/11/29/omicron-and-galaxy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You folks seriously don’t remember the same thing playing out with Delta?

https://twitter.com/Rajeev_The_King/status/1391175811647082497

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1405167147756797958