Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Play posted:

I'm just confused why anybody is acting like them beating the 49ers, or Adams getting injured, matters one tiny bit. They made a big thing of it on Good Morning Football and I was real confused.... like who cares

Because of the narrative. The he Hawks and Niners have the rivalry that (usually) makes for interesting games. One team was on a three game win streak, the other a four game losing streak with a qb coming back early from injury.
Seattle "turning things around" and ending their losing streak, at home, while defeating their division rival is a good story to run with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

yeah its mostly funny that this iteration of the seahawks swept the niners and its a nice little story this week about a team that was bouncing back in a big way getting deflated with some impact on future playoffs but not like season ending. It wont be a thing after this week, but for this week .... lmao

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Well, it finally happened. Rashaad Penny had a good game. It took playing the Texans, but he did it.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
A game with 2 Penny TDs and 2 Meyers missed PATs is definitely not something I would have predicted at the start of the season.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm content Jimmy G did good enough to win. Solid rushing effort considering their RB situation isn't too nifty.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
gently caress Kittle is so good I'm so jelly

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Kittle and Deebo are so very good. Without them Jimmy G would look reeeeeeal bad.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Kittle and Deebo are so very good. Without them Jimmy G would look reeeeeeal bad.

they only threw to deebo once this game, and he was out last game. kittle has certainly been going wild but garropolo is a totally acceptable qb regardless.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1470493802599268354?s=20

Not that the Rams were going to beat the Cardinals tonight but that's 5 starters on the COVID list so congratulations on the 2021 NFC West Title Cardinals

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tonight is just screaming trap game to me.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I'm fully expecting a late season slump from Arizona, and them barely squeaking into the playoffs where they lose to the Vikings or something.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Jimmy's a perfectly decent QB. I'm excited about Lance next year, but the amount of hate Jimmy gets for having limitations is unreal.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Coldforge posted:

Jimmy's a perfectly decent QB. I'm excited about Lance next year, but the amount of hate Jimmy gets for having limitations is unreal.

You know that in your heart of hearts you completely expected Jimmy to fumble the ball or throw a pick on that last drive.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

You know that in your heart of hearts you completely expected Jimmy to fumble the ball or throw a pick on that last drive.

He had his inexplicable pick six already that game. It was dropped so I was fully confident in him leading a game winning drive. :suicide:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I’m on record as a major Jimmy skeptic, but I agree that he’s pretty clearly in the limited-but-acceptable range right now. The secondary is easily the biggest problem with this team.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DeimosRising posted:

they only threw to deebo once this game, and he was out last game. kittle has certainly been going wild but garropolo is a totally acceptable qb regardless.

no way, dude.

if the interception Jimmy tried two times to throw on the winning drive had actually been caught no one would be saying this. Jimmy is really bad, propped up by the run game, RAC yards, and guys schemed wide open.

it also took one of the most incredible Kittle catches he's ever made to even keep that winning drive going

don't fall into this trap, he will just hurt you later on down the line

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Garappolo isn’t the worst guy starting on a team in 2021 but I think he’s comfortably below the line that describes QBs who are just good enough they it’s going to be way too expensive or difficult to be worth trying to replace them.

You might want him to be your QB for the short term but never the long term.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

He's fine. They were one or two plays from winning a super bowl with him. There are a lot of better players, but he's fine.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Garappolo isn’t the worst guy starting on a team in 2021 but I think he’s comfortably below the line that describes QBs who are just good enough they it’s going to be way too expensive or difficult to be worth trying to replace them.

You might want him to be your QB for the short term but never the long term.

I mean that is obviously San Francisco's position as well

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DeimosRising posted:

He's fine. They were one or two plays from winning a super bowl with him.

To me that's a situation that's unlikely to happen again, the perfect coalescing of overall team talent to that point where that niners team was INCREDIBLE. Very healthy, so much talent on both sides, almost everywhere BUT QB.

The way I see it, it's a hell of a lot harder to make that happen than to find someone better to play the most important position.

Jimmy ain't taking them to another super bowl ever again imo

And don't take this to mean I don't like Jimmy, I do like him and I'm always cheering for him to do well. I'm from right around the bay area so the niners were my local team at one point. I just feel like I've watched him enough at this point, the team isn't going to go any further until he's replaced.

And obviously the team agrees because they spent a first round pick on a quarterback. But he's not ready and that's whole other can of worms, my position is just that they need better than Jimmy as soon as they can arrange it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Play posted:

And obviously the team agrees because they spent a first round pick on a quarterback.

They spent 3 firsts actually.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They spent 3 firsts actually.

When they win the super bowl this year and next two of those first will be the 32nd pick in the draft. Basically a 2nd round pick with an extra year of control.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jimmy G's the kind of QB who thrives on just being good enough to get carried by a strong running game (counting YAC antics here, forgive me The Run) and exceptional defense.

The defensive secondary in particular hasn't held up well and that hurts the balance. It puts Jimmy in situations where he needs to move quickly down the field and he's just not good enough to do that consistently. So he forces himself into mistakes. Really doesn't help the run game has the durability of a wet newspaper.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Coldforge posted:

Jimmy's worst problem is he reads routes, not defenders. So every game he'll miss a DB in prime position for an easy INT a couple of times. He usually makes up for it with a few passes every game that leave the announcers struggling to explain how he fit it in between two defenders to hit the receiver perfectly.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Mustached Demon posted:

Jimmy G's the kind of QB who thrives on just being good enough to get carried by a strong running game (counting YAC antics here, forgive me The Run) and exceptional defense.

The defensive secondary in particular hasn't held up well and that hurts the balance. It puts Jimmy in situations where he needs to move quickly down the field and he's just not good enough to do that consistently. So he forces himself into mistakes. Really doesn't help the run game has the durability of a wet newspaper.

Basically yeah. If the secondary hadn't fallen apart due to injuries, or the running backs hadn't fallen apart due to injuries, he'd be having a good year. Even as it is, his year has been acceptable.
He's not a game winner out of structure, he doesn't have the strongest arm, he's much better throwing inside than outside, but he's fine.

Looking forward to a better QB next year (knock on wood), though, as I said.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The Niners do need to upgrade at QB to make the most of things but I think the Nick Mullens/CJ Beathard experiences when he's been hurt show that you actually can't just stick any random idiot in there with Kittle and Deebo and the run game and so on and have a decent time. You need a really handsome idiot.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
What makes Jimmy work compared to CJB and Mullens is he flashes a smile to pass rushers and it turns their legs to jelly for a split second

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

Cardinals are perfect on the road, have only lost at home, thus, losing the bye and home field is actually good for them, checkmate heteros. :smug:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao it’s back to earth for the cardinals. gonna drop the colts and cowboys games too, while packers and bucs win out, then lose in the divisional. oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

carry on then posted:

lmao it’s back to earth for the cardinals. gonna drop the colts and cowboys games too, while packers and bucs win out, then lose in the divisional. oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

This is just pathetic.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This is just pathetic.

it’s literally how 2014 went. started out winning 10 of the first 11, ended up losing the wild card in what was one of the worst football games ever played

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I say the only downside of tonight's game is that both teams couldn't lose!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

carry on then posted:

it’s literally how 2014 went. started out winning 10 of the first 11, ended up losing the wild card in what was one of the worst football games ever played

Hrm, you mean the season that Carson Palmer got injured and Drew Stanton had to start and then HE got injured and they had to start Ryan loving Lindley in the playoffs? That’s definitely a real and valid comparison and to this season where the team is 10-3, still has their starting QB and is generally healthy and lost a close game to a good team.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

carry on then posted:

Dude none of the other top NFC playoff teams look like they're radically better than the rest and have things that could derail them:

GB feels overall the strongest, but they've had a bunch of injuries and their special teams is oof.
TB needed major ref help to barely not blow the Bills game and Brady's effectiveness seems entirely dependent on Gronk staying healthy.
Cowboys have a scary pass rush with healthy Parsons/Lawrence/Gregory but Dak's been mediocre since his injury and both our starting running backs are hurt.
And you're 1-1 against the Rams.

Stay optimistic, still feels like just about any of the top 5 could win the NFC.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

carry on then posted:

This is peak Kawalimus posting and I won't have it in the NFCW thread!

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This is just pathetic.

Why are the cards so bad at home

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
:stare:

I did not expect this outcome.

Keep :axe:ing the ball McVay.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Darn, I was hoping AZ would get the #1 seed. They barely have a home field advantage as opposed to frozen tundra crap.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

carry on then posted:

How do the Cardinals always turn back into a pumpkin in December. Its like clockwork

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The attractive and powerful Cardinals and Rams will beat the smelly and ugly Packers and Bucs with the power of Run. :colbert:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It's crazy how much the Rams are feeding the ball to Kupp right and how close he is projected to break the receptions and yardage record with an extra game. At his current pace he's going to fall short on receptions by 2, 147 versus Micheal Thomas' 149 in 2019 and 17 yards short, 1947 versus Calvin Johnson's 1964 in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I think Mr Hopkins is a real, handsome, and powerful WR