Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Honestly, one of my favorite cards to come out of MID for Historic is Rotten Reunion. It hoses so many random value decks at instant speed. Phoenix, Cat/Oven, Darcy, Lurrus. It's free mill value, and it does so much random poo poo in zombie lists. Instant speed gatling zombie triggers, instant speed buff for Champion, instant speed tappable zombies for Cryptbreaker.

I've used one to get 4 power on the board at EOT against a control player to kill them from 8 with a single Corpse Knight. Hell, I've used it to screw an opponent's delirium after they targeted my 2/2 Champion with an Unholy Heat. :getin:

Edit: Oh. Forgot. The decay zombies trigger Undead Augur when they attack. So much value.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

YggdrasilTM posted:

That is not Alchemy, that's just what historic is.

I only occasionally see sac decks in historic at the moment, mostly because the ones that don't board into the citadel gameplan get bodied by the phoenix decks out there. obviously small sample size of only my matches, but i wouldn't characterize it as a meta defining archetype

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Tarnop posted:

If someone is talking about making custom cards, I think it's fair to assume that they're either not using official frames or they're not using official artwork. If that's the case then they won't pass as real cards and thus count as "playtest cards" rather than counterfeits as WotC define them.

NotNut, if I've got that wrong please let me know and I'll stop talking about it.

Yeah, the cards I'm making couldn't pass for real because the names don't exist in Magic, the frames say the site I designed them on, the artwork is custom, and the only people I'm even showing them to are the ones who recognize them as all representing stuff from a D&D campaign we played

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Reprint Back to Nature and Paraselene into Historic

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Is there a reason on an otherwise empty board I wouldn’t be able to Vanishing Verse a Rahilda?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Is there a reason on an otherwise empty board I wouldn’t be able to Vanishing Verse a Rahilda?

It should work fine. Was it something dumb like not having the mana?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Qwertycoatl posted:

It should work fine. Was it something dumb like not having the mana?

No, it must be a bug. I had the mana, it just didn’t consider it a target. With the same lands out they played another red permanent and that was targetable.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

While I have never stopped following magic, I haven't really played in years except for occasionally logging onto mtgo and playing some sort of pauper delver variant. I'd like to start playing arena for the new kamiga set, but I don't really have time to keep up with standard rotation. Are there any successful aggro/tempo/delverish decks in historic?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/MatthewLillard/status/1469346545728327680

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

What are these four the unaware?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

What are these four the unaware?

It’ll be extremely premium playmats and stuff if it’s anything like what Beadle and Grimm do for RPGs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Platinum edition?
What? No. Please no.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Arivia posted:

It’ll be extremely premium playmats and stuff if it’s anything like what Beadle and Grimm do for RPGs.

I am just looking at their store and its... not impressive for someone who doesn't play those things.

The prices are... insane.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

looks like mostly pins and stuff.. they said its gaming gear so i wonder if its going to be a samurai helmet or something.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
im just happy it wasnt some nft bullshit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

I am just looking at their store and its... not impressive for someone who doesn't play those things.

The prices are... insane.

they are insane even if you play those things

they recently announced a book i would be interested in a premium copy of with play aids, and the actual stuff for playing the game is only like a third to a half of the poo poo they toss in, then there's costume jewelry for every single possible guild (think ravnica guilds) and fake coins and poo poo and gently caress

i would have paid $125 USD for the extra battlemaps, NPC cards, etc

but unless i win the lottery this week i'm not buying a bunch of bullshit jewelry

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nerd poo poo is cool now and lots of people like to dump a lot of money on merch for Their Favourite Thing for no reason and the prices keep climbing cause people are willing to pay for perceived quality.

Sort of like Magic Cards.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eej posted:

Nerd poo poo is cool now and lots of people like to dump a lot of money on merch for Their Favourite Thing for no reason and the prices keep climbing cause people are willing to pay for perceived quality.

Sort of like Magic Cards.

I content that if you're nerdy enough to have a bunch of merch, overpriced or not, you're still not cool.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

zoinks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The url in the tweet in broken. It's "Grimms" with an s

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thank you Matthew Lillard. You were good in SLC Punk

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
he's been good in a whole lot of things

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thank you Matthew Lillard. You were good in SLC Punk

same but Hackers.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

flatluigi posted:

he's been good in a whole lot of things

True. I like him quite a bit

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1470416530978525199

lol who was asking for this

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think the pinstripe-on-BW looks bad, but seeing these I wouldn't want to play with them.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/BeByr4gU08A

Prof reviews BDSM themed deck boxes.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i love the current ones for midnight hunt and crimson vow but it's cost me a turn (game?) when i thought i didn't have any lands of one color only to realize later on that i did. even on the basic lands in the set its hard to discern. i still play with them but now i properly group them.

these look cool but i don't know if i'd play them except for a mono deck.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoy leaning over the table to see what mana my opponent has available, so those look great.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
You know those placeholder cards you sometimes find in packs that are just a Magic back with the front being totally black? We're getting closer to those as basic lands.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I mean if they had completely blank cards that just said "FOREST", "PLAINS", etc, in the same style as the DISCARD cards people would pay $30 for a set of 5 ($40 for foils).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Strong Sauce posted:

i love the current ones for midnight hunt and crimson vow but it's cost me a turn (game?) when i thought i didn't have any lands of one color only to realize later on that i did. even on the basic lands in the set its hard to discern. i still play with them but now i properly group them.

these look cool but i don't know if i'd play them except for a mono deck.

I think those look awful but I also thought the blacked-out SDCC planeswalker promos looked like poo poo and people seemingly loved those, I think the lesson for WOTC is you can print literally any art style on something and if it it's LIMITED EDITION players will line up to pay for it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol

https://twitter.com/ChaosCharlie/status/1470481775247900674?s=20

https://twitter.com/ChaosCharlie/status/1470482043704336393?s=20

Next step is super-ultra-double-rare lands where there's a blank art box and you get to draw the art yourself!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I like the new Innistrad lands the best of any specialty basic and I think the fully colorless one are pretty cool too, though I wouldn't use them in a competitive event.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LifeLynx posted:

You know those placeholder cards you sometimes find in packs that are just a Magic back with the front being totally black? We're getting closer to those as basic lands.

That's going to be the next april fools. To go with the Full text lands will be the No-Art lands where it's just a big colored rectangle.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

oh yeah? you little shits want color? none of this colorless dark black and white stuff? okay you asked for it

(pretty excited about this set)

HootTheOwl posted:

That's going to be the next april fools. To go with the Full text lands will be the No-Art lands where it's just a big colored rectangle.

where can i buy? why not done?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I mean if they had completely blank cards that just said "FOREST", "PLAINS", etc, in the same style as the DISCARD cards people would pay $30 for a set of 5 ($40 for foils).

The THB constellation basics are pretty much the opposite, just a big dumb mana symbol

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Strong Sauce posted:

oh yeah? you little shits want color? none of this colorless dark black and white stuff? okay you asked for it

(pretty excited about this set)

where can i buy? why not done?

It’s literally called “Neon Dynasty,” they’d better put a fuckton of color in it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Vaporwave basic lands please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
do snow basics count? https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/product/696666/pixelsnowlandsjpg