Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Last time tornados came up somebody was bragging about how bigbrain Europe makes brick houses instead of useless wood lol.

The majority of the US is europeans, the majority of those are germans, and it gets vastly whiter, germaner, and more recently settled when you look at the inland plains where tornados happen most often. The stereotypically american areas are overwhelmingly german, nordic, and/or english. It's a blast to me if anyone actually thinks all these americans have spent a century just shrugging as their houses collapse instead of looking across the Atlantic, asking their families, and going "ohhhh, concrete! Bricks! Stone!"

Tornadoes are definitely way worse in the US, but trailer parks are absolutely going to get hammered way more than typical Western European style construction.

Unless they hit in the summer, in which case I guess since half of the Netherlands and a quarter of Germans is living in a RV, in which case it would be equally bad. Are tornadoes seasonal like hurricanes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Saladman posted:

Are tornadoes seasonal like hurricanes?

They used to be.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Saladman posted:

Tornadoes are definitely way worse in the US, but trailer parks are absolutely going to get hammered way more than typical Western European style construction.

Unless they hit in the summer, in which case I guess since half of the Netherlands and a quarter of Germans is living in a RV, in which case it would be equally bad. Are tornadoes seasonal like hurricanes?

Not exclusively seasonal but they're way more common in summer.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Last time tornados came up somebody was bragging about how bigbrain Europe makes brick houses instead of useless wood lol.

The majority of the US is europeans, the majority of those are germans, and it gets vastly whiter, germaner, and more recently settled when you look at the inland plains where tornados happen most often. The stereotypically american areas are overwhelmingly german, nordic, and/or english. It's a blast to me if anyone actually thinks all these americans have spent a century just shrugging as their houses collapse instead of looking across the Atlantic, asking their families, and going "ohhhh, concrete! Bricks! Stone!"
Americans don't look to Europe, or anywhere else, really, for dealing with any other of their particular problems. Why would they do it for their buildings?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Their brains are broken from living under the unbearable burden of the irrational Anglo's yoke.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Americans don't look to Europe, or anywhere else, really, for dealing with any other of their particular problems. Why would they do it for their buildings?

They kinda do though. American culture is baseball, apple pie, and bemoaning that nobody understands how simple it would be to just turn the entire United States into Sevilla after spending an impressive entire semester abroad. Then hitting up the nearest spanish restaurant to explain to the basque chef that the food is totally inauthentic.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Oh good I even found a map for it:

The graph to the left, which is hard to read, is hurricane tornado density by season, which seems to show 13 months (Jan through Jan). Interestingly the southeast of the US has a secondary peak in early winter. The current tornado in the news in Mayfield is right at the outer edge of the pink/red region highlighted there.

It looks like it's maybe not totally clear whether tornadoes are indeed changing their seasonality and frequency somewhat, as the measured data suggest, or if it's more that reporting and radar are much better now than they were in the 1950s-70s so it's more of a reporting effect than meteorological effect. Or at least that's what I can tell after reading two papers.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212094717300956
and
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2015GL063968

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 14, 2021

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Saladman posted:

Oh good I even found a map for it:

The graph to the left, which is hard to read, is hurricane density by season, which seems to show 13 months (Jan through Jan).

I think you meant to say tornado and not hurricane here.

More indepth US tornado climatology can be found here.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They kinda do though. American culture is baseball, apple pie, and bemoaning that nobody understands how simple it would be to just turn the entire United States into Sevilla after spending an impressive entire semester abroad. Then hitting up the nearest spanish restaurant to explain to the basque chef that the food is totally inauthentic.

You are really obsessed with the hypothetical legions of Americans who never shut up about Europe. It's not that much of a thing outside of upper middle class center-left 20-40 somethings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet the apple pie comes in cardboard and the baseball isn't even authentic pêl-fas either
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0T6bK17qBU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Guavanaut posted:

I bet the apple pie comes in cardboard and the baseball isn't even authentic pêl-fas either
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0T6bK17qBU

I'd estimate there are roughly 0 Americans who could figure out how to make their computer keyboard make the "ê" symbol.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The cool part is that you just have to quote your post to figure it out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hit the ^ key then the e key without putting a space between.

alnilam posted:

You are really obsessed with the hypothetical legions of Americans who never shut up about Europe. It's not that much of a outside of upper middle class center-left 20-40 somethings.

I use Europe cuz it shows up a ton in this thread and in general. The same poo poo happens with everywhere- people from the US who have never left bemoaning how dumb everyone in the country is except them is, and people who have never seen it bemoaning how dumb everyone in the country is except them, very smart, totally not yanks. Like people in France, Canada, and Mexico have talked to me, to my face, about how uniquely stupid the people of the US is while not knowing I was part of the enemy myself. People born in the US have jacked me off about how cool it is that I have beheld a foreign country, full of smarties. It's dumb bullshit either way.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm beginning to suspect that these countries may have populations

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'd estimate there are roughly 0 Americans who could figure out how to make their computer keyboard make the "ê" symbol.

Füçk Ôff

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Saladman posted:

The graph to the left, which is hard to read, is hurricane density by season, which seems to show 13 months (Jan through Jan).

I think it’s 12 months, with the axis ticks being the firsts of the corresponding months.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

How about something different? That's not mind-numbingly tedious.

Tracking the movements of wolf packs in-and-around Minnesota.

https://i.imgur.com/qYxB6gP.mp4

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Warriors sequel series is looking pretty good!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Rebel Blob posted:

normal place name sounding pack names for most and then two that sound like rejected warrior cats. or are "lightfoot" and "moonshadow" just particularly exciting minnesota geographical features

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Also the Sheep Ranch wolves have the right idea.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Rebel Blob posted:

This is great. Any more like it?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The Moonshadow pack's illegal penetration of Bowman territory must not stand.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rebel Blob posted:

This is cool as hell, also I'm Chubb Lake

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Minenfeld! posted:

The Moonshadow pack's illegal penetration of Bowman territory must not stand.

Interestingly that pack always seems to go to and from the same place, you can see it as a full on triangle on the map.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I use Europe cuz it shows up a ton in this thread and in general. The same poo poo happens with everywhere- people from the US who have never left bemoaning how dumb everyone in the country is except them is, and people who have never seen it bemoaning how dumb everyone in the country is except them, very smart, totally not yanks. Like people in France, Canada, and Mexico have talked to me, to my face, about how uniquely stupid the people of the US is while not knowing I was part of the enemy myself. People born in the US have jacked me off about how cool it is that I have beheld a foreign country, full of smarties. It's dumb bullshit either way.

It definitely is really obnoxious when one dude repeatedly goes off about how smart he is compared to everybody else, how big groups of people are dumb, and how only he can see the inherent system problems at play. Especially when they try and crowbar their pet topic into unrelated conversations.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pakistan works on Fridays?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Platystemon posted:

Pakistan works on Fridays?

Yes, as does Indonesia.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

The countries which have "no data" are weird... like the person/people who made that map were not able to figure out what Peru or Uruguay's workweeks were?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Where's Monday-Tuesday?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Saladman posted:

The countries which have "no data" are weird... like the person/people who made that map were not able to figure out what Peru or Uruguay's workweeks were?

Yeah it’s not like this is demographic data where the country in question is in such a bad state the central government has collapsed and there’s no one to manage a census. This is just going on r/Uruguay and asking“Yo what day does the week start?”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They tried, but the locals kept calling them loonies

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Where's Monday-Tuesday?

Anywhere, as long as you get at CEO level.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

galagazombie posted:

Yeah it’s not like this is demographic data where the country in question is in such a bad state the central government has collapsed and there’s no one to manage a census. This is just going on r/Uruguay and asking“Yo what day does the week start?”

The image details says that it's based on whatever data had been added to wikipedia in 2018 and I guess it's not interesting enough topic to have someone to fill the blanks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Easily repurposed as "countries sorted by affinity to Garfield humor"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Mighty Steppe China too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder how many broken reports I sent off to main office before I noticed the default calculation of week numbers in Excel is wrong and not used in the civilised world.

Now I'm thinking: do I have any reports that use the number of the day in a week and if so, how hosed up are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

The UAE just this month announced its moving from the more traditional Islamic Sunday->Thursday week to a Monday->Friday work week. But with a half day on Fridays so that it doesn't run through prayer time:

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/08/1062435944/uae-work-week-change-saturday-sunday-weekends-global-markets

Its probably a sign of things to come in coming years for the rest of the Islamic world.