Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the entire movie is 'man the 70's were a loving weird time' stretched out way too long, it's incredibly clear basically everything in it is some degree of hosed up and stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I like Anita’s stance that you can judge if a movie is racist by how racist people (not you obviously, other people) react to its depiction of racism

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

She's still around?

Serf
May 5, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lmfao people are melting down over that?

yep. people are loving braindead

the only thing that makes me suspicious of the movie is that the male lead is the son of phillip seymour hoffman

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

I like Anita’s stance that you can judge if a movie is racist by how racist people (not you obviously, other people) react to its depiction of racism

it's not even that, it seems to be full on 'if you have racism in a movie even if it's explicitly shown as a negative, unless the main character (who, of course, can have no flaws or you're endorsing them) turns to the camera and goes 'wow, that's bad, let's all take a moment to think about how bad that is' you're endorsing it'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
e

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

first last duel and now licorice pizza is there a signal delay or something why are people only noticing how monstrously bigoted random low profile releases from reasonably well known directors are a month after they actually come out

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

is there a signal delay or something why are people only noticing how monstrously bigoted random low profile releases from reasonably well known directors are a month after they actually come out

because most people saw the trailer and went 'this seems lame and stupid' and didn't see it but tiktok and twitter is full of 'here's why (x) is problematic' in lieu of actual reviews because those generate better engagement, so it takes a little bit for them to find a movie that'd work for their gimmick.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

first last duel and now licorice pizza is there a signal delay or something why are people only noticing how monstrously bigoted random low profile releases from reasonably well known directors are a month after they actually come out
buzzfeed articles take a long time to write

also online libs only got mad screaming about rape rashomon o r some dumb poo poo after scott said some mumbling things about facebook being bad on a throw away podcast.

Serf
May 5, 2011

licorice pizza hasn't even come out anywhere near where i live, so i'm still waiting to see it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

sexpig by night posted:

because most people saw the trailer and went 'this seems lame and stupid' and didn't see it but tiktok and twitter is full of 'here's why (x) is problematic' in lieu of actual reviews because those generate better engagement, so it takes a little bit for them to find a movie that'd work for their gimmick.

yeah it was better when those freaks were contained in the tumblrsphere, you never really heard about them unless you went looking

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

i have not looked but is there any chance that PTA has said something that could be interpreted vaguely critical of marvel movies in an interview recently

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

it's not even that, it seems to be full on 'if you have racism in a movie even if it's explicitly shown as a negative, unless the main character (who, of course, can have no flaws or you're endorsing them) turns to the camera and goes 'wow, that's bad, let's all take a moment to think about how bad that is' you're endorsing it'.

Anita and her guy lost me when they said the violence in fury road wasn't justified

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

anita sucks rear end. theres a reason why her videos were very quickly eclipsed by thousands of grad student breadtube dumbasses

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i do like this bit from the licorice pizza wikipedia page:

quote:

Development

Around 2001, Anderson was walking by a middle school in Los Angeles on picture day. He observed one of the students nagging the female photographer and had an idea of the student having an adult relationship with the photographer. The screenplay of Licorice Pizza evolved from this experience

anyway i haven't seen this movie. probably not gonna see it.

I really think hollywood should stop making movies about hollywood and should maybe start crawling out of its own rear end a bit. half the people working on the movie are probably already related to each other anyway

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
well, **I** think anita's cute

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i need more period pieces, i liked last duel too much

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

the real problematic thing about licorice pizza is that it was gonna screen in 2000 theaters and now it's only gonna show in 800

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I'm so tired. I am interested in watching the movie so I'm not looking for spoilers, but does the segment at least make sense in the context of the film or is it just some random ching-chong-wing-wong poo poo thrown in for shits and giggles?

I'm grown up enough to know that depiction isn't necessarily an endorsement.

I saw this in the replies.

https://twitter.com/OnlyYams69/status/1470518560036462593

Heh,

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

also I keep hoping we get Benedetta discourse at some point

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Srice posted:

apparently it wasn't good

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Srice posted:

pretty sure it's "bayonetta", champ

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

quote:

Around 2001, Anderson was walking by a middle school in Los Angeles on picture day. He observed one of the students nagging the female photographer and had an idea of the student having an adult relationship with the photographer. The screenplay of Licorice Pizza evolved from this experience

ah yes fantasizing about random middle school students in the streets loving adults this extremely normal thing that all of us do

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Was there ever any point in the Master where someone went "Yep, that's a cult and it's bad"

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Was there ever any point in the Master where someone went "Yep, that's a cult and it's bad"

Amy Adams giving Philip Seymour Hoffman's character a handjob in the bathroom?

or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw54-yDc6Jg

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 02:32 on Dec 14, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i say swears online posted:

i need more period pieces, i liked last duel too much

i wanna go back to kingdom of heaven now

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

StashAugustine posted:

i wanna go back to kingdom of heaven now

The directors cut yeah

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

Amy Adams giving Philip Seymour Hoffman's character a handjob in the bathroom?

or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw54-yDc6Jg

Philip Seymour Hoffman was so drat good

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

pretty sure it's "bayonetta", champ

trying to imagine a Verhoeven directed Bayonetta movie...

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

well, **I** think anita's cute

coulda done without the vocal lessons

prefer her work pre-kickstarter

Serf
May 5, 2011

these people would lose their minds if someone showed them "harold and maude"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

ah yes fantasizing about random middle school students in the streets loving adults this extremely normal thing that all of us do

i dont think he did that much

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1470246532108619776?s=20
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1470246533719158785?s=20
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1470246535334031365?s=20
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1470246536885927943?s=20

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
death of the author, birth of a moron

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Someone needs to introduce Anita to cumtown.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm glad hellthread posters still have a place to share their gross opinions in 2021.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Honestly I appreciate how Anita was one of the few people from yesterday's internet culture war who didn't use her increased profile to punch left or "join the club". She just mostly stayed in her corner of the internet, wanting to just (poorly) talk about how sexist pop culture is long after it stopped being cool to do so.

Shame she's sticking she's sticking her neck out on a weird hill to die on.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm glad hellthread posters still have a place to share their gross opinions in 2021.

did you get covid? because your brain is just one big hole

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wow nice to see so many posters who are not asian proclaim that asian jokes are definitely not a problem and if you have a problem with it you're just a stick in the mud SJW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

death of the author, birth of a moron