Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Argas posted:

Fortunately/unfortunately climate change doesn't obey provincial borders.

Eh, regular localized pollution would do it too.

If I recall right, Alberta is facing a $100 billion remediation bill from conventional oil wells that the owners declared bankruptcy and walked away from. That's not even counting fracking or the tar sands.

(Lol if you think that isn't ultimately going to get paid for by the federal government, and/or just left to poo poo things up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Let's not forget the novel strategy of simply declining to pay local property taxes because they don't want to.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 11, 2021

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Eh, regular localized pollution would do it too.

If I recall right, Alberta is facing a $100 billion remediation bill from conventional oil wells that the owners declared bankruptcy and walked away from. That's not even counting fracking or the tar sands.

(Lol if you think that isn't ultimately going to get paid for by the federal government, and/or just left to poo poo things up.)

Hey, if Royal Oak and Miramar can do it, anyone can.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The Quebec opinionsphere has formulated the international news of a teacher being forced out of the classroom because she is muslim and wears a hijab.
https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2021/12/11/le-canada-anglais-en-ebullition

And the response is: English Canada is in turmoil. That's the headline anyway.

quote:

Fatemeh Anvari est une diplômée en littérature anglaise de l’université d’Ottawa. Sans être complotiste, on est en droit de s’interroger sur la décision de la commission scolaire de l’engager comme enseignante. Il est légitime de se demander si cette femme surqualifiée pour enseigner au primaire et qui porte le hidjab dans la vie n’est pas une militante engagée qui mène le combat à titre personnel, mais aussi collectif contre la loi 21, loi que le premier ministre du Canada appuyé par la majorité des Canadiens considère comme inique et raciste.

Here it is suggested that the teacher who was removed was a plant. See, she was too qualified for this position. And to be clear, the author is not a conspiracy theorist for stating that the anglos hired a highly qualified person for the sole purpose of making Quebec natioanlists look bad (according to the author). The explanation being that the person removed from the classroom was too well qualified, which doesn't make sense for a teacher. No joke, that's the reason. This is something of a go to move by the author (Denise Bombardier). She has a pattern of claiming that when an anglo or a visible minority is discriminated against because of Quebec nationalist publicity, those qualifications are evidence they they should be removed because they were only there to cause trouble.

quote:

La pandémie nous a suffisamment fatigués. Où prendrons-nous l’énergie supplémentaire pour encore mener le combat de notre identité malmenée, voire méprisée ?

There's a lot of nonsense, but the conclusion is a killer. We're all tired from the pandemic, how can we keep up the fight for our abused and despised identity. That is, explicitly, an argument that accusing Quebec nationalists of vilifying and abusing minorities constitutes oppression of Quebec.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 12, 2021

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Maneck posted:

The explanation being that the person removed from the classroom was too well qualified, which doesn't make sense for a teacher. No joke, that's the reason. This is something of a go to move by the author (Denise Bombier).

Overqualified to teach Grade 3, so shifted to... a position in the same school?

"In an ironic twist, Anvari continues to work at the school on a literacy project for students targeting inclusion and awareness of diversity, although she acknowledges it is still a teaching opportunity." https://ici.radio-canada.ca/rci/en/news/1846417/quebec-teacher-removed-from-classroom-for-wearing-hijab-under-law-banning-religious-symbols

Wowzers. Denise is going for the gold in mental gymnastics there, eh?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Syfe posted:

Kenney to change COVID-19 rules, says his own Christmas plan would violate current restrictions

quote:

EDMONTON -

Alberta will relax COVID-19 restrictions next week so more people can gather together for Christmas, Premier Jason Kenney said.

Kenney detailed his own Christmas plans Friday, which he said would not comply if he left current fourth-wave restrictions in place.

"We're not a police state. Unlike Australia and other places, we are not going to put a cop on every corner to check people's papers," he said.

Don't want to change my plans, don't want to be found out, may as well change the rules.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tochiazuma posted:

Overqualified to teach Grade 3, so shifted to... a position in the same school?

"In an ironic twist, Anvari continues to work at the school on a literacy project for students targeting inclusion and awareness of diversity, although she acknowledges it is still a teaching opportunity." https://ici.radio-canada.ca/rci/en/news/1846417/quebec-teacher-removed-from-classroom-for-wearing-hijab-under-law-banning-religious-symbols

Wowzers. Denise is going for the gold in mental gymnastics there, eh?

The school boards statement was interesting, basically 'we don't support this dumb law but someone complained and our hands are tied' and she still appears to be employed by the school

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
So where can a person complain?

Like 80% of Quebec schools are doing Christmas pageants of some kind in the province, or Christmas activities, so it would be nice to have all those shut down at the same time.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

One of many things that bugs me about the Quebec racist bill indeed, if you're going to be secular, then dammit be secular, none of this Christians are the default, it's fiiiiine, bs.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Alctel posted:

The school boards statement was interesting, basically 'we don't support this dumb law but someone complained and our hands are tied' and she still appears to be employed by the school

English school boards sued to be exempted from the law and were very publicly not down with it; I lost track of where the legal saga is at.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Under the currently in place ruling, the English school boards would be entitled to hire persons wearing religious garb. However, that decision is under appeal. For reasons why are not clear to me they're enforcing a law which has been held to be contrary to the Quebec charter notwithstanding that finding.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Maneck posted:

Under the currently in place ruling, the English school boards would be entitled to hire persons wearing religious garb. However, that decision is under appeal. For reasons why are not clear to me they're enforcing a law which has been held to be contrary to the Quebec charter notwithstanding that finding.

The English school boards were denied a stay on the law while the QC government appeals is what I’m seeing in all the news, like https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/school-board-should-not-have-hired-quebec-teacher-who-lost-job-for-wearing-hijab-premier-1.5702674

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If the Quebec government doesn't keep the Francophone population riled up about foreigners and Anglos, there's the possibility that people will notice they're doing a really poo poo job at governing, or at least focus on issues that matter and could be handled differently.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Have any of my fellow Canadians living abroad come back home for a few weeks, and if so, did you get some kind of travel or temporary health insurance?

I know that Ontario instituted some rules last year to make it easier for Canadians to qualify for OHIP and to get care while uninsured, but it's not incredibly clear to me what this means if someone actually gets sick and requires a hospital stay, other than that the bill won't be as stiff as in the US. I still have my ancient red-and-white OHIP card but my wife only has a long-expired photo card.

I'm certainly willing to get travel insurance just to be safe but a lot of the popular ones seem to be scammy traps.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

There is no greater proof that Canada is a fake rear end country than the grey cup halftime show.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ARACHTION posted:

There is no greater proof that Canada is a fake rear end country than the grey cup

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

ARACHTION posted:

There is no proof that Canada is a country

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Luckily things are looking good for the true test of being a real country, qualifying for the world cup

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Alctel posted:

Luckily things are looking good for the true test of being a real country, qualifying for the world cup

:hmmyes:

The team looks legit for the first time in ever OP

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Another Canadian athlete, Nicholas Latifi, horribly defiled our country today in indirectly causing one Max Verstappen to win the F1 WDC, and therefore I think he should be banished. That is my Canadian sports opinion of the day because just loving lmao if you actually watch CFL.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I watch the Grey Cup because I'm a patriot, you swine.

And I'm cranky about it because I woke up at 5:45 to watch the FIA gently caress around and hand Verstappen the championship in an absolute shitshow of sport officiating.

So that's why I want the Ti-Cats to win, because one Hamilton has already been done dirty today.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pleads posted:

I watch the Grey Cup because I'm a patriot, you swine.

And I'm cranky about it because I woke up at 5:45 to watch the FIA gently caress around and hand Verstappen the championship in an absolute shitshow of sport officiating.

So that's why I want the Ti-Cats to win, because one Hamilton has already been done dirty today.

...acceptable post and a reason to cheer for the Ti-Cats.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Also Tim Hortons field will host the Americans in January in World Cup qualifying so I hope it's -30 and drunk Hamiltonians (like there is any other kind) get rowdy and pelt the Yanks with frozen TimBeibs

stab fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 13, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

ARACHTION posted:

There is no greater proof that Canada is a fake rear end country than the grey cup halftime show.

The what?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Arkells and Lumineers. Not my cup of tea but my SIL loves em so I had to text her to watch that part at least.

To each their own.

People are gonna cry next month when Dre and Snoop hit up the Super Bowl.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Who?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

People are gonna cry next month when Dre and Snoop hit up the Super Bowl.

This shows how out of touch with society the NFL is. I mean, I love their music but they are old men now and Snoop would be better off smoking a joint with Martha Stewart, giggling while watching the game at home before going to bed at 9 o'clock. Same with the Rolling Stones when they did it a few years back, to be fair.

Also Dre is an abusive piece of poo poo.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Dre and Snoop are legendary rappers.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

stab posted:

Also Tim Hortons field will host the Americans in January in World Cup qualifying so I hope it's -30 and drunk Hamiltonians (like there is any other kind) get rowdy and pelt the Yanks with frozen TimBeibs

That's CONCACAF baby!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

stab posted:

I love how Canada is just trolling our opponents with the qualifier venues. Mexico playing in -10 weather in Edmonton and the States playing in Hamilton. Vancouver was all ready to host a qualifying game but Soccer Canada shut that down pretty much saying that our weather is too nice.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

stab posted:

I admire your ability to believe that any sporting events - or indeed any events at all - will be taking place in January. It’s starting to look like all that will happen in that month is the beginning of a lockdown that will make March 2020 look wide open.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

St. Dogbert posted:

I admire your ability to believe that any sporting events - or indeed any events at all - will be taking place in January. It’s starting to look like all that will happen in that month is the beginning of a lockdown that will make March 2020 look wide open.

Not likely. Conservatives have been testing the limits of what people will accept with each wave, and it seems triage, tent hospitals and morgue trucks are preferable to not being able to pack stadiums to watch men kick balls or slap pucks.

17% of NHL players have tested positive and gone through covid protocol this season. ~9 games have been postponed out of around 400.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

eXXon posted:

Have any of my fellow Canadians living abroad come back home for a few weeks, and if so, did you get some kind of travel or temporary health insurance?

I know that Ontario instituted some rules last year to make it easier for Canadians to qualify for OHIP and to get care while uninsured, but it's not incredibly clear to me what this means if someone actually gets sick and requires a hospital stay, other than that the bill won't be as stiff as in the US. I still have my ancient red-and-white OHIP card but my wife only has a long-expired photo card.

I'm certainly willing to get travel insurance just to be safe but a lot of the popular ones seem to be scammy traps.

Yes, and I now get travel health insurance through Atlas Travel insurance. Coverage for my wife and me for 1.5 months was only $142, so it's not too onerous.

I certainly wouldn't take a chance with not getting insurance if you're no longer a resident of Canada.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think there's a critical mass of people who think covid is over, or at least they're done caring or worrying about it. I'm not talking anti-vaxxers or conspiracy folks, just people who have their 2 or 3 jabs and are going back to normal after 2 years of this poo poo. They'll mostly mask up if told they have to, but otherwise expect to return to normal pre-covid life and are not willing to deal with any more lockdowns or canceled activities.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

I think there's a critical mass of people who think covid is over, or at least they're done caring or worrying about it. I'm not talking anti-vaxxers or conspiracy folks, just people who have their 2 or 3 jabs and are going back to normal after 2 years of this poo poo. They'll mostly mask up if told they have to, but otherwise expect to return to normal pre-covid life and are not willing to deal with any more lockdowns or canceled activities.

I think a lot of those people are backing away from that attitude as case numbers climb back up. I played poker a few weeks ago with friends. We’re all vaxxed but we weren’t masked. I won’t do that again until numbers are back down.

Like I’m doing Christmas this year, but the caveat is everyone needs to do a test the day before, in addition to everyone being 2-3 shot vaxxed.

People are tired after 2 years of doing mostly the right things and want to figure out how to, if not get back to normal, at least see friends and family again in person. That might mean going back to outdoor gatherings, or masked events, or more rapid tests.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Hopefully Omicron will turn out to be less dangerous. It's going to make drat sure everyone has COVID antibodies, anyway.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Maneck posted:

Hopefully Omicron will turn out to be less dangerous. It's going to make drat sure everyone has COVID antibodies, anyway.

In August, they (David Fisman specifically but other members of the Ontario covid science round table too) were saying Delta would make sure 100% of people would be vaccinated or infected by Christmas. I'm taking the Omicron warnings with a grain of salt...

That said, I'm not convinced right now that schools will reopen in Ontario following the winter break.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

schools will re-open. The Coward Douglas Ford is far too bitchmade to do something effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

This is me. Lots of variation across friend groups though.