Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HelleSpud posted:

If you find a decayed guardian on water and use the cryonis rune to knock it over it drops more parts than if you just used "Examine".

Also there was a way to bug it so it'd spew out an unlimited number of guardian pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

HelleSpud posted:

If you find a decayed guardian on water and use the cryonis rune to knock it over it drops more parts than if you just used "Examine".

There are only a few locations do do this (Swamp of Ash is the best) and doggonnit I am doing this ASAP!

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
There's also places where puddles form during rain

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tunicate posted:

Also there was a way to bug it so it'd spew out an unlimited number of guardian pieces.

Oh! I actually(sort of) know this one! So, as was said, if you find decayed guardians, you can examine them and get an ancient item. However, some of them have physics, and if you flip them over, you get a few items instead of one. However, there's exactly 4 decayed guardians that are marked with special code in the game files. Why these 4, I have no idea. Anyway, this code tells those 4 guardians that, when they're flipped over, they should drop a set of items from a list in the code. The list is a dynamic list that changes based on which sector of the map you're in. Every time you move to a sector, that sector's list is added to the drop list. Every time you move far enough away from a sector you were in, that sector's list is dropped. This list effects anything you'd get drop loot from, like chests, broken pots, and yes, those guardians. Now, normally, this isn't a big deal, since you open a chest or whatever in its home sector, get your poo poo, and move on. But what happens when you bring the loot pinata out of its sector, to some other sector? What happens when you bring that item far enough away from its home sector that its drop list is no longer part of the currently loaded drop list?

Well, the net effect is that, if you take these specially coded guardians, and you move them far enough away from their home location, their drop list is no longer part of the local drop list. So when you flip them over, they drop their poo poo, and I assume the game goes "hey, did you drop poo poo from this list? No? Drop your poo poo then." over and over and over, resulting in an endless spew of infinite guardian parts that lags the game to hell and can crash it, but also allows you to pick up a full inventory's worth of them, and then sell them off for more money than god.

People primarily use this glitch to easily stock up on all the various arrow types they'll ever need, as well as finish a few guardian part related quests and the like.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nordick posted:

Man, I really miss Zorencoptering.

(For those not in the know: Doing a spin attack with your melee weapon actually propelled your character forward somewhat. Not just that you moved forward as part of the animation, but it actually added to your forward momentum. And for some reason, this added momentum scaled up with your melee attack speed. For a time, the fastest melee weapon was a pair of axes called Dual Zoren, and fully modded for added attack speed, a spin attack with those would launch you hilariously far. Hence, Zorencoptering. It was actually used as a means to traverse maps quickly. Then at some point the whole "parkour system" got a total overhaul, which sadly included the end of Zorencoptering although it was an improvement overall.)
As I understand, coptering (you could do it with some other weapons too) was better for moving horizontally in a straight line, but the current system is better for literally anything else.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

As I understand, coptering (you could do it with some other weapons too) was better for moving horizontally in a straight line, but the current system is better for literally anything else.

Pretty much, but given that, they fully embraced the new movement system created and this ended up leading to some really awesome map design as a result.

I mean, it's still Digital Extremes though, so there's still bugs. I fully expect some hilarious ones to be brought in with their new major patch on the 15th.

For content: A titania went into their ultimate which turns them into a very tiny version of the warframe that has archwing (i.e., flying) mechanics in regular missions. They then swapped to their nechramech and their warframe ran out of energy. For some reason this reverted their frame out of the ultimate power mode so they weren't flying anymore, but kept them tiny sized.

When they interacted with objects in the railjack (ship) the objects themselves became tiny as well:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What else do you expect from the queen of fae?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

DelphiAegis posted:

Pretty much, but given that, they fully embraced the new movement system created and this ended up leading to some really awesome map design as a result.

I mean, it's still Digital Extremes though, so there's still bugs. I fully expect some hilarious ones to be brought in with their new major patch on the 15th.

For content: A titania went into their ultimate which turns them into a very tiny version of the warframe that has archwing (i.e., flying) mechanics in regular missions. They then swapped to their nechramech and their warframe ran out of energy. For some reason this reverted their frame out of the ultimate power mode so they weren't flying anymore, but kept them tiny sized.

When they interacted with objects in the railjack (ship) the objects themselves became tiny as well:

... Totally can't even see what you're talking about over the exploded clown room there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/r9s00y/im_actually_so_confused_right_now/

not sure how to embed videos from reddit

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

... Totally can't even see what you're talking about over the exploded clown room there.

no, I can see it, it's this tiny starship enterprise flying away

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember Halo 2 sword flying? It's back, in infinite form

https://twitter.com/MintBlitz/status/1467839509291167744

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I read this in a different thread so I don't have a source but lol

Cythereal posted:

New World, uh, just accidentally deleted their entire US East region and it may not be recoverable.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
whoa, did New World cause the AWS outage or did they lose stuff because of the outage

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

new world somehow causing the entire us-east-1 outage (which is affecting a lot of online infrastructure, not just games) would be funny beyond words

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

whoa, did New World cause the AWS outage or did they lose stuff because of the outage

Well, makes no difference either way.

The team has been getting one wake-up call after another, but they just keep pressing the snooze button.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
An hour of Grand Theft Auto Trilogy bugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rd2huQTNh0

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Goddamn, just a few minutes into that video and it looks like the game randomly spawns vehicles travelling at warp 10.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sestze posted:

thank you for this

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm sad, I spent a few days in San Andreas and the worst I saw was that goofed up rain implementation and some mildly buggy reflection textures when walking up towards the ocean :smith:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Goddamn, just a few minutes into that video and it looks like the game randomly spawns vehicles travelling at warp 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rd2huQTNh0&t=81s
The super high speed ghost car is pretty great

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Sestze posted:

I know there is probably a lot of good poo poo in here, but I don't know what's gonna be better than a little airplane just small enough to fit into an alley and hitting an important character right in the head. That might not even be a glitch, but goddamn is it funny.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Dec 12, 2021

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I know there is probably a lot of good poo poo in here, but I don't know what's gonna be better than a little airplane just small enough to fit into an alley and hitting an important character right in the head. That might not even be a glitch, but goddamn is it funny.

The suicide planes are absolutely a thing. I can only imagine that glitch's dial got turned up to "cowabunga it is then" with the def ed.

https://gta-myths.fandom.com/wiki/Suicidal_Airplanes

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1470085637386776581

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
The death sound makes the clip, honestly.

Booourns posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rd2huQTNh0&t=81s
The super high speed ghost car is pretty great
I thought it was weird geometry that caused that, i didn't even realize it was a supersonic sedan punting them into space.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zereth posted:

Yeah you could copter with any fast weapon, it's just that AFAIK at the time when it became a thing, the Zorens were the best choice for it.

And you're exactly right, it was great for very quickly crossing wide open spaces or speeding through long hallways, but the current system is much, much better overall. I just kinda miss coptering because it was funny.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvZp0joc3Q

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Why is this so frightening

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

DKC2 is a very glitchy game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEMe3ypXX3U&t=1969s

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Aidan_702 posted:

Why is this so frightening

It has that necessary quality that a lot of the older and smaller-code game glitches had best, which is a combination of a specific forbidden action you must not take, a feeling like sudden/instant death with the immediate crash and freeze on a deformed screen, the unpredictability of the outcome, and the music ending/shrieking/distorting. It feels like you’re making something angry when you do it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Someone post that story of the engineer for a game (Sonic maybe?) where the error handling screen pretended to be a secret cheat screen, so if there was a bug during QA it would still get passed.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Devor posted:

Someone post that story of the engineer for a game (Sonic maybe?) where the error handling screen pretended to be a secret cheat screen, so if there was a bug during QA it would still get passed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9bkKw32dGw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Devor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZs2HUW9tDA

The Chris Houlihan room in LTTP is also an error handler of sorts

kirbysuperstar has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Dec 14, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Along similar (but not identical) lines is Wing Commander. They were nearing the end of development, and one of the things they had to deal with was a crash that would only occur when you went to quit the game. The practical upshot of this is that when you quit, your DOS prompt would show an error message. Pretty harmless, but ugly. The fix was to build the game as normal, then go into the binary and replace the error message text with "Thank you for playing Wing Commander!"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:laffo:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Similarly different, I always liked the I'M FREE!!!! crash when a moving block hits map boundaries in Rise of the Triad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9lhkvs3kZQ

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been trying out last year's Avengers game (which is surprisingly decent) but I've been running into an oddball glitch. It's not really hilarious enough to bother capturing, but for some reason none of the laptop screens or holodisplays show up for me. So plot-critical cutscenes with Kamala Khan looking at her laptop just keep cutting to black screens, and people working with virtual displays are just wagging their hands around in the air while nothing shows up in front of them.

It's also aggravating because I can't find the right search keywords to find any mention of it, I just find search results for run of the mill general display issues and such.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/Zero2Turbo/status/1474277254012313601?t=lhPzuIrlbdSSN9SAFrWB8A&s=19

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who knew the Yaris game was still playable, and got a current-gen graphics upgrade

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Yaris's Revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What was the game that named its exe the same as some critical file, so uninstalling would brick your pc?