Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

What is this fine contraption?

https://www.fangamer.com/products/flip-grip

note: doesn't work with the OLED switch (yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

With the OLED kickstand you can actually stand it vertically in tabletop mode

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
There are Dread pin sets in the UK and EU my nintendo shop for 500 platinum points:

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en_gb/...f1be4839734e471

https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/c2ca699754edd546

I hope when they come to the US store, they cost the same...I only have 510 points :ohdear:

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
They learned from the WiiU. The next system will be an entirely new gimmick, not a better switch

I somewhat worry about the long term lifespan of the switch. Is Nintendo still going to be fixing joycons in 20 years? Or are working joycons going to be difficult to find?

Maybe switch 2 will have improved joycons that are backwards compatible with switch 1?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, there are $10 kits you can buy right now to replace the sticks in the joycons, and it's supposedly a pretty easy repair to make. They may go up in price once Nintendo stops replacing joycons for free, but I'd imagine they'll still be available for purchase.

Also Nintendo of Japan only stopped repairing Famicom units in like 2007-2008 IIRC.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 22, 2021

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, there are $10 kits you can buy right now to replace the sticks in the joycons, and it's supposedly a pretty easy repair to make. They may go up in price once Nintendo stops replacing joycons for free, but I'd imagine they'll still be available for purchase.

Also Nintendo of Japan only stopped repairing Famicom units in like 2007-2008 IIRC.

I love this little detail. Nintendo manufactured the Famicom from 1983–2003. They offered Famicom repairs until 2007 when parts became too hard to source.

But by that point the Wii and it's Virtual Console had already launched. When it came to the Famicom, Nintendo had your back for decades.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Argue posted:

The puzzle game spinoff of Shovel Knight is out. Anyone played it yet? Reviews I've seen seem pretty positive so far.

It's really cool but it punishes mistakes swiftly and is absolutely beating my rear end.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McCracAttack posted:

I love this little detail. Nintendo manufactured the Famicom from 1983–2003. They offered Famicom repairs until 2007 when parts became too hard to source.

But by that point the Wii and it's Virtual Console had already launched. When it came to the Famicom, Nintendo had your back for decades.

I'm sure they only stopped because they could not compete with Chinese Famicom manufacturers, who continue to make Famicoms to this day

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

McCracAttack posted:

You joke but that's an actual concern for shmup/shooter fans.

Woah

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've replaced joy con sticks fine, but does anyone have experience replacing the rubber part of the stick on the Pro controller? My rabbit nibbled on it and it's annoying to use now. Does the rubber just come off? I don't really wanna try pulling it without knowing I can put a new one on easily.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Momomo posted:

I've replaced joy con sticks fine, but does anyone have experience replacing the rubber part of the stick on the Pro controller? My rabbit nibbled on it and it's annoying to use now. Does the rubber just come off? I don't really wanna try pulling it without knowing I can put a new one on easily.

that's pretty cute

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Rabbit just wants to play Odyssey

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Momomo posted:

If not, you could get some thin stick covers that come with the added benefit of extra grip.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I replaced the sticks 2 months ago and they're drifting already JFC

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rutibex posted:

They learned from the WiiU. The next system will be an entirely new gimmick, not a better switch

idk, obviously this is pure speculation but it would be idiotic for them to abandon the portable market entirely and Idk if they'd separate the two markets again. bring back the 3ds screen imo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rutibex posted:

Nah, what they learned from the WiiU is gimmicks cost them mainstream multiplatform titles. Their next console is MORE likely to be a Switch Pro than anything else. Especially with the current global chip shortage, because custom architecture would be stupid to even consider.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like this is the company who produced the same basic type of handheld from 1989 to like 2004 keeping backward compatibility all the way lol

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Post the rabbit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

idk, obviously this is pure speculation but it would be idiotic for them to abandon the portable market entirely and Idk if they'd separate the two markets again. bring back the 3ds screen imo

Yeah, Nintendo was lucky enough to hold onto the portable market even as the rise of phone games devoured it, and they're not going to get the casual market the same way they did with the DS again. Given the difficulty they've had keeping market share in the home console market at the same time, I think Nintendo's smart to stake out the hinterland they've occupied. They got lucky enough with their major home console competitors getting hosed over by logistical issues.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any recs for a good exploration/adventure game?

I mostly just want to poke around environments, not super concerned with combat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One thing that's interesting about there not being a strictly-handheld platform anymore is that Nintendo hasn't really been developing any 'handheld' quality games.

Before, you had the console games that were of a certain quality, and then the handheld games which I can only assume took less development time. Now that branch doesn't exist.

I mean, it could, but in all seriousness, when was the last time Nintendo released a game that was of a similar scope and quality level to a 3DS game?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A week and a half ago.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

American McGay posted:

A week and a half ago.

Which was what?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Boxboy, brain training, Tetris 99, Mario 35
All fit in the portible quick bite feel and scope of Nintendo's 3ds endeavors

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Argue posted:

The puzzle game spinoff of Shovel Knight is out. Anyone played it yet? Reviews I've seen seem pretty positive so far.

what's this? i lost all my search buttons so you have to link it.

edit: https://twitter.com/yachtclubgames/status/1470461336349904900

yeah this kind of game is not for me. too dumb

big deal fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 14, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Review are positive but it looks confusing and busy to me, like most real time puzzle games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Part-Time UFO has very GBA vibes, complete with reusing Kirby sprites.

Nintendo has gladly adopted at least one aspect of digital distribution in that they can make smaller-scale, cheaper games and release them easily on their own platforms without having to go through retailers.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

part time ufo was on smartphones for two years before they put it on switch. i dont know if thats relevant to the discussion though

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Inzombiac posted:

I mostly just want to poke around environments, not super concerned with combat.

In case you somehow haven't played it, Breath of the Wild.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Inzombiac posted:

Sable is pretty short, but it's got no combat at all, and the vast majority of gameplay is exploration. See if you dig its visual vibe.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

American McGay posted:

A week and a half ago.

lmao

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Subnautica and Abzu if you're happy with the ocean.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Inzombiac posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles isn't an open world game or anything, but it does have a bunch of wide open spaces and cool vistas IMO, Gaur Plains and Satorl Marsh being two of the best.

It is a JRPG rear end JRPG though, so there will be combat, especially if you're exploring off of the beaten path.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Which was what?

I had thought it was a joke about Pokemon BDSP but that came out in Nov so I think he means Big Brain Academy

The Postman
May 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1470755463981633540

Indie World tomorrow!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Google Butt posted:

that's pretty cute

turn your monitor on

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

Boxboy, brain training, Tetris 99, Mario 35
All fit in the portible quick bite feel and scope of Nintendo's 3ds endeavors

Fair.

We should get more of these, especially stuff like Mario 35.

Goddammit, Nintendo, bring back Mario 35 :negative:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
WarioWare just came out this year too, it’s a full $60 but still

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
rhythm heaven when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017