Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just went round all 4 pharmacies in town and not a LTF to be found anywhere.

I had the same issue on Saturday - ended up driving over the border to get one in England. You can mail order them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Question IRL posted:

Just because it's a piss take doesn't mean it's not a thing.
My friend sent me this just after I read that Wang Commander tweet. It's like there is a culture of people who are mainlining Covid vaccines.

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1470161631430778886?t=QwKzDyTZh5oNNirKLpx95Q&s=08

First they say he's selfish for not getting the vaccine. Then they say he's selfish for getting too many vaccines. There's no pleasing some people. :v:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My doctors just cancelled all but emergency appointments because the staff got put on vaccination work.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Andoman posted:

I had the same issue on Saturday - ended up driving over the border to get one in England. You can mail order them though.

Been like this all day:

https://test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/order-lateral-flow-kits/service-unavailable

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

That sucks.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
lol

quote:

UK falls off second spot in global ranking of pandemic preparedness

US retains its number one position (:psyduck:) despite a Covid response 'generally viewed as extremely poor'

The UK has been knocked off its coveted second spot in a prestigious global ranking of pandemic preparedness.

The latest edition of the Global Health Security Index – a two-yearly assessment of 195 countries’ ability to respond to pandemics – ranks the UK seventh overall after its poor response to Covid exposed serious gaps in the country’s preparedness.

The fall in the rankings will come as a blow to ministers, who, particularly in the early days of the pandemic, boasted of the UK’s position as the second best prepared country in the world.

The 2019 index, published just months before the emergence of Covid, gained notoriety for putting the United States and the UK, which went on to become the worst pandemic performers among the richest nations, in first and second place.

The index, published by organisations including the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security at the Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Economist, ranks countries in six categories: their ability to prevent, detect and respond to a pandemic; their health system; commitment to international norms and practices; and their risk environment, which covers areas such as trust in government and social cohesion.

According to Jessica Bell, one of the authors of the report, a range of factors let the UK down.

“The UK had a low score in the epidemiological workforce… whether that’s people that can do contact tracing or laboratory support. The UK scored zero out of 100 for epidemiological workforce capacity,” she said.

It also scored poorly in access to healthcare, a reflection of the UK’s overwhelmed hospitals and GPs, and funding for pandemic preparedness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look I know our previous report was absolute horseshit but we've done a new one and you better care about it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“It also scored poorly in access to healthcare, a reflection of the UK’s overwhelmed hospitals and GPs,“

Yeh it wasn’t because the GPS were overwhelmed though was it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Underfunded. The word she's looking for is 'underfunded.'

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
wonder how many out of 100 we scored for government competence

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The fall in the rankings will come as a blow to ministers, who, particularly in the early days of the pandemic, boasted of the UK’s position as the second best prepared country in the world.
They forgot that you have to actually do stuff as well.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Turns out it doesn't matter how prepared you are if your stupid-haired leader shoves his dick in the gears of the machine.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Technically I am completely, 100% prepared for work tomorrow because I don't intend to go

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Ministers usually like it when blow comes to them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Underfunded. The word she's looking for is 'underfunded.'

You didn't clap hard enough at 8pm.
The clapping for the NHS should come back, every night until the NHS cures covid.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For a walk in session where it's a fixed timed session (not open all day). Do you reckon there is a good time to show up where it will be the least busy? Does every one bum rush it at the start?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I would go early just so there's less chance of them running out, but be prepared to wait at any time

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Endjinneer posted:

If it's looking like a shambles at the mo, it's because the vaccination programme staff had a couple of hours of non-specific warning that some thing was going to be announced on Sunday night.
"Compress your 7 week booster rollout into 3 weeks" is a pretty big thing to ask.

Tesseraction posted:

What are they losing the staff to? Burnout?

There was a huge drive to train volunteer vaccinators a year ago, and then lots of them couldn't get a shift, because you had to go through a site induction ("here is the first aid kit and the fire escape" etc), shown how to use the computer system to update patients' medical records*, and then be supervised vaccinating the first few patients. Meanwhile, bank NHS staff were signing up for (paid) shifts, and they took priority. One nurse mocked volunteers for doing for free what they were getting £20/hour for. Very quickly, the NHS started limiting or refusing to accept volunteer vaccinators who hadn't previously been to the particular site, there because they didn't want to waste time doing the inductions. There were a few stories in the national press about it.

What this meant was that thousands of people either gave up out of frustration or because it had been so long they didn't have confidence that they would remember their training. Then by autumn the volunteer vaccinators began to go back to work/university, but it was OK because the programme was slowing down for adults and the volunteers couldn't vaccinate under-18s anyway. Some of the larger sites that had given over their premises for vaccination centres wanted them back now they were allowed to re-open.

A lot of the volunteer vaccinators still around are the ones who have been doing what they can for months, whether they are retired or fitting in shifts around their work and personal commitments. Boris mentioned training up more people, but there's no guarantee that the ones who trained and dropped out will come back, and I can't imagine there is an untapped pool of millions who simply forgot to volunteer the first time around. But in making this announcement without ensuring anyone involved in doing the work was prepared, the Government has set the NHS up to fail.

* The story of the goon who got 30 jabs is nonsense, you can literally see the date of previous covid vaccinations. The system will flag up a warning if it thinks they're too close together. You could do it under other people's names though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/cafucatfood/status/1470465097323659264?s=19

Lazy posters in this thread saying there's no work to be done, have you ever considered getting the rich to pay you to smash up their houses for Christmas?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh so this is what we got

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/cafucatfood/status/1470465097323659264?s=19

Lazy posters in this thread saying there's no work to be done, have you ever considered getting the rich to pay you to smash up their houses for Christmas?

Hire Grinch get Grinched?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's "fairy up liquid" and where exactly does it go up?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Some people just call it that, I suddenly remember seeing a thing about it online years ago.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I think if you believe in it enough it appears at the bottom of the garden, so presumably the only way from there is up?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's what you get if you mix tinkerbell dust into water and then boil it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I imagine peter kay saying that in a bit about his gran.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I call it fairy-up liquid, but ironically.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

For a walk in session where it's a fixed timed session (not open all day). Do you reckon there is a good time to show up where it will be the least busy? Does every one bum rush it at the start?

From the walk-in centres I've worked at, there's normally a queue outside at opening, a pretty intense rush until about 0830 of people on the way to work, then a lull until about 0915 when parents who've dropped their kids off and WFHers who've done their work for the day come in, then the quietest period is about 1000-1100 when you start to get the ramp up to lunchtime, then another lull from 1400 to 1500 when you start getting the afternoon school run and after-work crowd in.

At weekends it's pretty much a linear increase from opening time until closing time, so just get there about half an hour after opening to get the best chance of a short queue.

(This is all for mid-large size venues, but I've no reason to believe that the smaller ones wouldn't be the exact same as those are also roughly the flows for just about any retail premises - if you're not sure, check on Google Maps what the quiet times for the nearest shops are)

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

then a lull until about 0915 when WFHers who've done their work for the day come in,

I've been discovered!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh you're one of those who actually starts work at 9 instead of just logging into Teams from bed to be visible and then browsing the Internet until the first actual meeting?

Pathetic.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Aidan_702 posted:

My GP shamed me into getting a flu shot in like, ten minutes when I was calling about Asthma. Funnily enough they won't do an asthma check up in person lol. I had a horrible time on the first az jab and haven't had a flu jab in possibly ever so not looking forward to potential side effects

I had terrible side effects from my first vaccination, and have had even worse side effects in the past from flu jabs. I had my booster and flu on the 4th, and felt fine since.
Ymmv, but I hope you're OK too

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

IllusionistTrixie posted:

I've been discovered!

I thought it was funny when people playing Forza Horizon 5 were getting freaked out, thinking their boss was calling them, because the devs added the MS Teams Call chime as a 'horn'.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Remember hugo's house of horrors and it's /boss command that would make it look like you were working?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://get-home-lateral-flow-testing-kit.service.gov.uk/

Tests available again.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lady Demelza posted:

The story of the goon who got 30 jabs is nonsense, you can literally see the date of previous covid vaccinations. The system will flag up a warning if it thinks they're too close together. You could do it under other people's names though.

some goons - in fact most goons - aren't based in the uk, and there might be other systems at play

it's still likely a joke, but it is a CSPAM poster and thus you can't really rule out the chance that it's real

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
So COVID response is now divide and conquer isn't it? Whilst I'm pro vaccinating and science and stuff. I understand that poo poo info and government policy could leave you worrie about your business or livelihoods.

I think the Tories are trying to recreate the society divide which led to Brexit winning then the election. It doesn't matter how rubbish Keir stsrmer is I'd he's for to be one side or the other. I mean it does cos he doesn't offer anything because he's a centre bell end .

Arguing about vaccines and lockdowns and you aren't fighting the cuntd in charge .

And it's working for them. Meh

poo poo innit?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ben Soosneb posted:

So COVID response is now divide and conquer isn't it? Whilst I'm pro vaccinating and science and stuff. I understand that poo poo info and government policy could leave you worrie about your business or livelihoods.

I think the Tories are trying to recreate the society divide which led to Brexit winning then the election. It doesn't matter how rubbish Keir stsrmer is I'd he's for to be one side or the other. I mean it does cos he doesn't offer anything because he's a centre bell end .

Arguing about vaccines and lockdowns and you aren't fighting the cuntd in charge .

And it's working for them. Meh

poo poo innit?

The Brexit title stands, friend. "We're hosed"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it honestly doesn't matter how badly the Tories gently caress things up with Covid etc. Come the next election, if they hold to their usual promise of protecting the gains of older homeowners and landlords, while Labour solemnly affirm that, if elected, they'll do absolutely nothing for anyone, the Tories still win hands down, 'cos their core vote will turn out, while the Labour vote won't.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1470506750193422339

Please do(n't) delete anything about the parties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Got up early to go to the vaccine centre I was told yesterday did booster drop ins.
They tell everyone theyr not doing booster drop ins but the local pharmacy is, local pharmacy is not doing drop ins.

Its funny that the UK gov announced under 40s boosters without telling anyone or having planned anything but also sturgeon did her typical thing of announcing UK policy like 6 hours earlier to pretend the scottish government is real but also hadn't planned anything

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 14, 2021