Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1469816863655874561

Woops!

tl;dr - Wizards is going after NuTSR claiming their registration of various trademarks (including TSR) was fraudulent. Who said that lawsuit wasn't going anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Halloween Jack posted:

I forgot about the second game! Now that you bring it up, I must admit that the XXVC cover art is pretty similar to what TSR was doing for Star Frontiers and Gamma World around the same timeframe. Still, it doesn't really scream "transhuman revolution sci-fi across the solar system" to prospective buyers, and probably didn't appeal to people who liked e.g. Cyberpunk 2020.

Yeah, it really doesn't (disclaimer: Cyberpunk 2020 is my favorite rpg of all time, warts and all). I'm sure there's something about the "gaming zeitgeist being 10-20 years behind the actual current trends in fiction" going on there also. PROBABLY also something with rpg designers of the time generally being older dudes that were making games about the sort of fiction that they grew up on in an industry that took a while to actually have any sort of change going on. Contrast to now with a much more diverse set of developers and technology that makes the industry much more agile as a whole than it was back then.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
We're at the "...and Find Out" alternatively the "Win Stupid Prizes" for TSR3.5

And LaNasty's "Don't trust anyone except CLOWNFISH TV" sez it all really.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
"Hoisted by their own grognard."

The prophecy!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
D&D: WotC’s New Batch of Errata Removes Racial Alignments, Retcons Drow

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Good except for making Drizzt white.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

While we can all have a conversation about racism in RPGs and how terrible / maybe-less-terrible WotC is, I'm way more interested in this idea of rewriting RPGs and labeling it "errata". This feels like a very modern thing to do - games are available as PDFs, we've changed them to keep up with the zeitgeist, your printed books are old now.

At what point does something go from being errata to a rewrite?

Also kind of weirdly parallels Magic Alchemy, but I don't want to thread derail.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

While we can all have a conversation about racism in RPGs and how terrible / maybe-less-terrible WotC is, I'm way more interested in this idea of rewriting RPGs and labeling it "errata". This feels like a very modern thing to do - games are available as PDFs, we've changed them to keep up with the zeitgeist, your printed books are old now.

Also kind of weirdly parallels Magic Alchemy, but I don't want to thread derail.

It was a mistake to make the black elves 99.9% evil, so it's errata.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

CitizenKeen posted:

I saw someone chuddy mention that in relation to this earlier, and this is the TG industry thread. What is it?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I saw someone chuddy mention that in relation to this earlier, and this is the TG industry thread. What is it?

MTG is releasing a new digital only format, Alchemy, with a new digital only set, Alchemy: Innistrad. It’s designed to use cards that would be impossibly difficult to do in paper, because they create other cards or permanently alter cards for the duration of a game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Removing racial alignments - good.

Making Drow no longer a weird Curse of Ham race - good.

Combining "Drow - good actually" and "Drow - white actually" into the one errata - oof, lol

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I feel like there's some nomenclature issues here, with white and black referring to both skin tones (closer to light tan and deep brown) and colors.

Honestly new Drizz't looks purple.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

MTG is releasing a new digital only format, Alchemy, with a new digital only set, Alchemy: Innistrad. It’s designed to use cards that would be impossibly difficult to do in paper, because they create other cards or permanently alter cards for the duration of a game.

In this context I think it’s important to note that Alchemy is changing the values on certain cards in digital, exactly like this errata will for dnd. There will no longer be a value for preferred alignment in dnd.

The end of the article mentions 2024 as the probable next rules iteration, I didn’t know about that, do we know anything more right now?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

homullus posted:

It was a mistake to make the black elves 99.9% evil, so it's errata.

It is a less terrible, but still awful, choice to make them lavender.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Magic has started making digital-only cards that would have impossible paper mechanics (like automatically search your deck for a card and put it into your hand without shuffling). A lot of these cards, even if possible in paper, would add a bookkeeping or time expense (doing a lot of searching/shuffling eats up time, especially at tournaments).

A lot of chuddy reactionaries absolutely lost their poo poo about this in toxic ways, very reminiscent of the folks who freaked out over 4th Edition D&D for being too "video gamey".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mors Rattus posted:

Eternal and presumably Hearthstone do this and it's very neat.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Froghammer posted:

I feel like there's some nomenclature issues here, with white and black referring to both skin tones (closer to light tan and deep brown) and colors.

Oh hang on, it says grey with many "hues", not shades. Terrible writing aside this means Drow are rainbow elves now. I am 100% behind this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

This is nothing new for D&D, I have tons of errata printed out and tucked into my 3e books. It wasn’t as common or as sweeping as all this is, but off the top of my head several game mechanics were rewritten in new printings (weapon scaling by size for example). It’s called errata as it’s the changes for new printings, but that’s the only reason.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

Oh hang on, it says grey with many "hues", not shades. Terrible writing aside this means Drow are rainbow elves now. I am 100% behind this.

JEM and the Dancing Lights

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I have nothing of value to add to the discussion but drow have been all kinds of colours over the years.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Froghammer posted:

It would be good if it stopped cosplayers from doing blackface.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mors Rattus posted:

As I understand it, it's not just a digital only format - they're changing the non-digital only format (Standard) but only in the digital game. Or did I misunderstand that?

Toshimo posted:

A lot of chuddy reactionaries absolutely lost their poo poo about this in toxic ways, very reminiscent of the folks who freaked out over 4th Edition D&D for being too "video gamey".

A lot of non-chuddy non-reactionaries also really don't like it, but you paint with the brushes you want.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CitizenKeen posted:

As I understand it, it's not just a digital only format - they're changing the non-digital only format (Standard) but only in the digital game. Or did I misunderstand that?

A lot of non-chuddy non-reactionaries also really don't like it, but you paint with the brushes you want.

They're making a second digital-only 'standard', its Arena's eternal format that's changing with no 'normal' version available.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Arivia posted:

This is nothing new for D&D, I have tons of errata printed out and tucked into my 3e books. It wasn’t as common or as sweeping as all this is, but off the top of my head several game mechanics were rewritten in new printings (weapon scaling by size for example). It’s called errata as it’s the changes for new printings, but that’s the only reason.

Fair. I was just curious what would be "too big to be errata". I think about the differences between 3E and 3.X, and wonder if that distinction would be necessary in today's world. Could D&D get rid of Constitution as a stat, or replace Armor Class with Active Dodge and Armor Rating or somesuch, and still call it "errata".

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

They're making a second digital-only 'standard', its Arena's eternal format that's changing with no 'normal' version available.

Got it, thank you!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Basically, there's a theoretical, paper only format called "Pioneer" that's supposed to be all standard legal sets that have been created since X Date. No one actually plays it because Modern exists. The goal has always been to try and get Pioneer into Arena, and the "Historic" format is them sort of trying to get there, but it's languished in recent years. in a theoretical world where Pioneer is already in arena, them adding Alchemy cards to Historic doesn't really matter. but we do not live in that world. So they're basically screwing over one of Arena's most popular formats because they want to chase hearthstone now?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

CitizenKeen posted:

Fair. I was just curious what would be "too big to be errata". I think about the differences between 3E and 3.X, and wonder if that distinction would be necessary in today's world. Could D&D get rid of Constitution as a stat, or replace Armor Class with Active Dodge and Armor Rating or somesuch, and still call it "errata".

I'm pretty sure that the only lesson WotC learned from 4e was that you can't have edition wars without formal edition change.

Consider how NEXT slid into 5e, then underwent successive revisions. Nobody is going to make a heroic last-posting stand that the Q4 2021 errata is "fake D&D" and eveything after that is a dumbed-down baby game.

We'll probably just see iterative tweaks, with changes collected into future reprints.

Old rules will get the same bad cosmonaut treatment Zak's credit did in the current printings.

For big systems, it's just going to be optional subsystems that get less "optional." Dudes of the Underdark might introduce your Constitution-free defense stat, which might take off and get reprinted in the PHB with CON presented as an alternative system.

Official modules stop using CON, and now D&D doesn't have Constitution - but there's no breaking point for anyone to scream about it. It's a guided evolution, like Intelligent Design but real.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
People absolutely have drawn lines in the sand effortposting on individual releases, like the Tasha's changes and the mere existence of the MtG settings. Never underestimate a DnD player's ability to whine.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

CitizenKeen posted:

Exalted 2e's later errata totally rewrote entire chapters of multiple books!

I don't think there's any locktight definition of errata to question or ponder, really. An erratum is just a correction of a previously printed error. It doesn't even necessarily mean there will be corrected reprints. There have been whole pages and chapters missed and errata'd in all sorts of books.

There's certainly a conversation to be had about errata that gets too immense, though, especially if there are no reprints to incorporate the bulk. Exalted 2e became absolutely farcical, sending the entire game to cross-referencing hell. I get the impression D&D4 tiptoed in that direction, though I never played without the digital tools anyway. It was still errata, though, regardless of how useless it might have been in practice for most readers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Bee posted:

People absolutely have drawn lines in the sand effortposting on individual releases, like the Tasha's changes and the mere existence of the MtG settings. Never underestimate a DnD player's ability to whine.

They're not getting anywhere near the traction they would over an edition change, are they? I assume it's just bravado and then they fold because the alternative is finding a different group or better game.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wizards is doing a ton of hiring rn, so they are about to start ramping up for 6E(5.5E) or whatever they want to call it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dexo posted:

Wizards is doing a ton of hiring rn, so they are about to start ramping up for 6E(5.5E) or whatever they want to call it.

5e Essentials :unsmigghh:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dexo posted:

Maybe a 50th anniversary edition for release in 2024?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CitizenKeen posted:

Could D&D get rid of Constitution as a stat, or replace Armor Class with Active Dodge and Armor Rating or somesuch, and still call it "errata".
I'm pretty sure that would set off a lot of people's Good Ideas Alarm and it would be quickly squashed. I don't mean the fanbase, I mean the people working on D&D.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I for one am incredibly hype for the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Revised 5th edition.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Street Fighter II model would probably work especially well on D&D players, since conditions are met as long as the keyword is there somewhere.

Super Advanced Dungeons & Turbo Dragons Revised Champion 5th Edition would get gobbled up, while 6e would be a new game and ugh guys I already have all the books for 5th.

I mean, they're already doing this with (temporarily, probably) exclusive content in this gift set:

quote:

Includes the debut of Monsters of the Multiverse, a comprehensive resource for players and Dungeon Masters alike, containing over 30 updated player character races and a massive bestiary with over 250 redesigned monsters and stat blocks, all for use in any D&D world

They probably won't do a fun gimmick name, but they're already doing the slow-crawl perpetually morphing rules I was talking about.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is a less terrible, but still awful, choice to make them lavender.

I am not sure why you quoted me but I don't think I disagree. Leaning into the colorism in drow representation isn't great. They may have felt that lavender was less fraught than keeping drow black; I think this is the standard white fear of doing a racism, and it's also not great. They already walked back the essentialism and could (and I think should) have kept them black. Now with "grayish skin of many hues" they've opened the door to drow who can pass as other elves (i.e. white). It's a step back.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

homullus posted:

Now with "grayish skin of many hues" they've opened the door to drow who can pass as other elves (i.e. white). It's a step back.
That was a big ol' plot point in the FR Maztica novels - an (evil!) albino drow infiltrated the expedition by passing as an albino regular elf.

I barely remember anything else about that series but I'm sure it was one of many racisms in the "fantasy Europe colonizes fantasy South America" books.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I prefer the Veinscrawl dark elves, whose skin is distinctive in that it looks like veined marble.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

The Bee posted:

Yeah, but I feel like there's been a definite effort on WotC's part to make as few waves as possible when introducing rule changes. It's really evident in Tasha's in that all of the changes that address longstanding mechanical issues are listed as "optional", most likely to give them some degree of plausible deniability towards their groggier fans who abhor any kind of change. While D&D players will whine about just about anything, Wizards is definitely making an effort to set off as few of them as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure that would set off a lot of people's Good Ideas Alarm and it would be quickly squashed. I don't mean the fanbase, I mean the people working on D&D.

B-b-but their new job posting asks for:

• A track record of developing innovative and balanced game mechanics for published RPG products.
  • An eye for detail and dedication to excellence.

Surely they wouldn't stamp down on new ideas brought by the least senior person they hired!