Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Stringent posted:

yeah it's a lot more difficult than it looks

i think the main problem was that the 100 yen knife just wasn't sharp enough, the slime that covers the inside of the octopus' skin was too tough to cut with that and i imagine it's the same with a lot of other fish parts, i ended up just cutting off an entire layer of the skin itself just to get rid of the slime layer, there were also some weird hard parts that i wasn't expecting. at least i didn't have to deal with the eyes and guts. the abalone actually went alright, but it was still freaky, we thought it'd be at least dead in the packaging but the thing was alive and it looks like a giant quivering pussy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

i think the main problem was that the 100 yen knife just wasn't sharp enough, the slime that covers the inside of the octopus' skin was too tough to cut with that and i imagine it's the same with a lot of other fish parts, i ended up just cutting off an entire layer of the skin itself just to get rid of the slime layer, there were also some weird hard parts that i wasn't expecting. at least i didn't have to deal with the eyes and guts. the abalone actually went alright, but it was still freaky, we thought it'd be at least dead in the packaging but the thing was alive and it looks like a giant quivering pussy

i never noticed the likeness to pussy, but yeah they're pretty gross. even with a decent knife it takes a fair amount of practice.

it's harder than it looks.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That sashimi story is worth a :five:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

my wife thought we could save money and get better quality sashimi by buying raw fish from the local market and cut it ourselves with a knife and cutting board from daiso, she thought if it was advertised as "meant for sashimi" it would be a matter of making a few cuts and serving it up

i just spent half an hour at our hotel room desk dissecting a raw octopus head and shanking a live abalone. my hands are covered in slime and i smell like fish, ftw

I don't envy the cleaner who takes care of your room tomorrow. I at least hope you have an apartment hotel? Good christ.

Try not to send yourself to the emergency room while shanking an abalone (if it's as hard as oysters anyway). I think you meant "shucking" too, but I like the mental image of someone shanking a shellfish.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can ask them to cut it for you at the store.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Saladman posted:

I don't envy the cleaner who takes care of your room tomorrow. I at least hope you have an apartment hotel? Good christ.

Try not to send yourself to the emergency room while shanking an abalone (if it's as hard as oysters anyway). I think you meant "shucking" too, but I like the mental image of someone shanking a shellfish.

Abalone are much, MUCH later than oysters, and in addition to being shucked have to also be cut into pieces (usually by slicing, sort of like a cold cut).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lmao

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Saladman posted:

it was a dormy inn, but i cleaned up the mess

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Groverhaus, but with sashimi

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Lmao my dude great story but next time ask the old lady/dude to cut it for you. Also the shops near me sell sashimi-用tuna and salmon that’s basically a boneless fillet and would be pretty easy to cut.
Good experience though.

Next try pan searing some salmon with the steam iron.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

also visited the statue of dr clarke (the "boys be ambitious" guy), turns out he was a psychopath who'd respond to students complaining about the cold by taking them outside and shoving their heads in the snow and sitting on them. i don't really recommend going up there since it's just his statue, a memorial hall eulogizing him and an open field that's probably very spectacular to a japanese domestic tourist who's never seen a grassy field before but not to anyone else

Dr. Clarke was apparently only in Japan like 9 months, but man he sure left a hell of an impression.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pegnose Pete posted:

Lmao my dude great story but next time ask the old lady/dude to cut it for you. Also the shops near me sell sashimi-用tuna and salmon that’s basically a boneless fillet and would be pretty easy to cut.
Good experience though.

Next try pan searing some salmon with the steam iron.

im normally in charge of cutting sashimi out of blocks of tuna at new years and i figured itd be easy like that, i guess we couldve asked them to cut it

the next day we went to a marching penguins thing at otaru aquarium (great place) and i swear one of the penguins came to me and nibbled my hand because they probably still smelled faintly like octopus

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It begins

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
This was inevitable. I guarantee we've had undetected community transmission going on for at least a couple weeks now. In spite of the borders being closed specifically to contain Omicron.

I'm sure they'll reopen to my marooned students any day now, lol.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

This was inevitable. I guarantee we've had undetected community transmission going on for at least a couple weeks now. In spite of the borders being closed specifically to contain Omicron.

I'm sure they'll reopen to my marooned students any day now, lol.

could you speak to the state of your "marooned" students? i'm curious what all this entails since i've been hearing so much about it.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stringent posted:

could you speak to the state of your "marooned" students? i'm curious what all this entails since i've been hearing so much about it.

They can't enter Japan because Japan isn't issuing any student visas. I have at least one class per semester with entirely international students, and the poor freshmen who started their study in April have been stuck taking my class on Zoom with no idea as to when they'll be able to get in. There was a sliver of hope back in November, but that's totally dashed. I don't give any fucks if tourists can't get in, but the government really needs to get its head out of its rear end and find some way to get international students in to the country, because a lot of them are just flat out giving up on Japan.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah tourists are whatever, but the govt is dumb as poo poo to not find a way to get uni and above students in. They're relatively small in number, could be managed relatively easily, and govt has good leverage over them because they could say one quarantine fuckup and you'll never study here again.

But nope. Gotta keep on fuckin up that soft power and wrecking your next gen of multilingual workers.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

They can't enter Japan because Japan isn't issuing any student visas. I have at least one class per semester with entirely international students, and the poor freshmen who started their study in April have been stuck taking my class on Zoom with no idea as to when they'll be able to get in. There was a sliver of hope back in November, but that's totally dashed. I don't give any fucks if tourists can't get in, but the government really needs to get its head out of its rear end and find some way to get international students in to the country, because a lot of them are just flat out giving up on Japan.

so what are your thoughts on why the japanese government might be adopting this position? i'm not just "asking questions" i'm trying my best to not be an rear end in a top hat about this since i already have pretty strong feelings in favor of the travel ban, and maybe you can change my mind.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stringent posted:

so what are your thoughts on why the japanese government might be adopting this position? i'm not just "asking questions" i'm trying my best to not be an rear end in a top hat about this since i already have pretty strong feelings in favor of the travel ban, and maybe you can change my mind.

I think the government has broad popular support for continuing the border restrictions, especially as having fewer foreigners around doesn't really have much of an immediate affect on the economy. Sure, tourism from abroad is utterly tanked, but I don't think it was such a significant part of the economy that the LDP would suffer at all for it. Indeed, they won a clear victory a couple months back, so the Japanese government is maintaining this hard line with the border because it hasn't cost them electorally nor economically. Somehow or another the Japanese economy is limping along much as it has for the past 30 years, and the inflation that's plaguing the West hasn't materialized here. I'm sure there will be some bills coming due for Japan's corona policies, but if the can is able to be kicked down the road, it absolutely will.

Now I personally I disagree with such strict entry bans from a pedagogical standpoint (I'd much prefer to teach all of my students in person, and for them to have full access to the physical campus and international study experience they're paying full tuition for. I also happen to think they're of dubious public health benefit, especially given the goal of mass vaccination against corona has been largely achieved, the development of treatment protocols for those who do fall ill with it, and the fact that numerous public health officials around the world are blatantly telling us that the infectiousness of Omicron means everyone in the world will be exposed to it.

You may feel free to disagree with me on all of that. I'm not really trying to change your mind on how to feel about the travel bans. I think Omicron is going to catch fire here much as it has in the UK and the USA, and in a few weeks we'll be discussing something very different depending on how it all shakes out.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
fair enough

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Student visas are tricky because it covers everything from Waseda to fakeass language schools.
(My opinion is that) They need to recategorize and prioritize full-time university students. But that involves classifying schools and students into tiers (discrimination) and it will cause just as much uproar as a blanket ban.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah, that. For every white kid that wants to come to Japan and study at some big-name university, there are probably twenty kids from other places in Asia that want to come here even if the conditions are lovely and they have to work at 711 for minimum wage to support themselves. My guess is the government considers student visas to be a privilege, not a right. And certainly not some key to a brighter economic future for the country.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Even at big-name universities the white kids are rare. They should just prioritize people going for full-time undergrad programs at the very least; that's an easy win and pretty uncontroversial.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'd say if they're gonna allow students in it should be from countries with covid infection rates as low or lower than Japan's

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

some woman on twitter went viral for making a thread related to this. she was american I think gave up on a fellowship she'd received in like 2020 to do some anthropological research. she never managed to get in due to covid stuff. apparently she had to be physically in japan to get the money and university support for the fellowship, even if (due to covid) she'd basically be in her apartment doing all her research/interviews remotely anyway.

felt bad for her but there was a real feel of entitlement in tweets so idk.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

grad school sucks

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stringent posted:

i'd say if they're gonna allow students in it should be from countries with covid infection rates as low or lower than Japan's

I can only chuckle that I was allowed in back in late August. Even given as bad Japan's situation was at that moment, America's infection rate was far, far worse.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Stringent posted:

Are you actually surprised? Their attitudes toward foreign students and workers sucked before covid. You can get multiple tests and quarantine and, believe it or not, the covid situation of your home country won't spontaneously change the results of multiple negative tests to positive.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

In a perfect world they would have enough resources to do a true enforced quarantine for everyone coming in that was eligible, but the current situation is they know not everyone coming in is taking it seriously and they don't have enough government-run hotels even with limited flights. Since they can't stop Japanese citizens from coming back in, blocking new residents is their only real option.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It seems that some companies are pressuring employees to ignore quarantine on return. I guess it's not surprising it would come to that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gabriel Grub posted:

It seems that some companies are pressuring employees to ignore quarantine on return. I guess it's not surprising it would come to that.

That sounds like a way for those companies to eventually get in real trouble.

FWIW, mine put out a strong warning against international travel. I’m glad we didn’t brave it this winter, because the US Embassy dropped this today:

https://twitter.com/acstokyo/status/1473814629663096836

Wonder why Hawaii is there :v:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

free bentos free hotel hell yeah

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Kinda like a discount spa vacay

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
I'm sending a friend in Japan a New Year's gift and googling is showing multiple ways to say Happy New Year depending on whether it's before or after Jan 1st etc. What's the best way to say it if it's accompanying a gift that will be received before Jan 1st? Looking for the casual way to say it to a close friend- thanks!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
あけましておめでとうございます

should be fine whatever the specifics

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Stringent posted:

あけましておめでとうございます

should be fine whatever the specifics

Cool, thanks Stringent.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Do u aisatsu bro?????!

In December
よい おとし を

In January
あけまして おめでとう ございます

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
sorry i missed the part about it getting there before the first, peanut is right

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Right on, Cheers peanut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I haven't been on the shinkansen since covid started. Is it still cool to eat while riding now?