Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

D34THROW posted:

Here's a TV-inspired hypothetical for medical lawgoons. A pharm rep on Dopesick used it as a threat to get a pharmacy to continue carrying OxyContin. I'm not 100% sure if the threat was ever really used but Google is giving me bupkis on whether it's plausible.

1) Can a pharmacist really be sued by doctors and/or patients for refusing to carry a particular medication?
2) If so, on what grounds?

Pure speculation, but the only plausible grounds I can come up with are is if the requirement to carry and sell a particular drug, or whatever drug they are told to carry and sell, is somewhere in a general distribution contract between the pharmacy and the supplier.

Something like Walgreens and Pfizer have a national contract that says, "Walgreens agrees to stock and fill orders of whatever Pfizer drugs that Pfizer sends them." And since Oxy falls under that definition, they might be in breach for refusing.

But assuming no such contract, I can't conceive of a legitimate basis for such a lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

daslog posted:

Hypothetically speaking,

I have a friend who has a wife who works at a a new car dealership in Massachusetts. Assume one of the Salesman is black and has decided to sue the dealership for racial discrimination. Also assume that's he's actually not being discriminated against and the General Manager is feeling devastated by the lawsuit because he has been mentoring said employee for a management position and has been called out as someone that has said things that were offensive. "At a BBQ at work, said General Manager told employee "you are going to love my chicken" as he grilled said chicken.

The manager is now upset because no one really seems to cares because the insurance deductible is only $5,000 and everyone expects to just settle it out of court for $75,000 ish.

I find all of this a bit incredulous. Is this normal? Why don't more people just go out and scam businesses for settlements like this?

No way that guy would get close to $75k with those facts, which don't even mention whether he was fired or whatever. Probably $5k tops, and that's after his case is likely dismissed by the administrative agency right out the gate and he has to scrape together money to hire an attorney.

It's incredulous because these cases are almost never as simple or frivolous as people make them out to be. It's often the employment equivalent of the McDonald's coffee spill lawsuit that everyone thinks was just some lady scamming easy money. An outsider hears a simplified or possibly false account of the "facts" and assumes it's all a scam. Unsurprisingly, this is usually the version put forward by employers and their counsel.

If the guy knows he is really not being discriminated against (which the example assumes), then why wouldn't he make up more convincing examples of harassment than one vague reference to chicken? If he believes that it's discrimination, then it's not a scam, and he's entitled to pursue it, but this scenario as presented is even flimsier than the flimsiest sort of cases that usually crop up. Assuming he's earnest about taking legal action, then I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of demeaning or heinous comments and behavior from the manager start to surface that was left out of the anecdote.

There are certainty plenty of very weak discrimination cases, but it's like with the ADA discussion: we put the burden of enforcing anti discrimination laws squarely on the people who are getting hosed over and have the least means to do so. And when a fraction of them are successful to some small degree, we assume they're milking the system at the expense of good, upstanding American companies. Congrats! You can now file a lawsuit (likely years after you began the administrative process)! Oops you're unemployed and made too little for lawyers to take your case on commission. Good luck! The system works as intended.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 14, 2021

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I knew a guy who tried to rob a pharmacy for some xanax. He threatened the pharmacist with a knife. The pharmacist said okay hold on one minute, then walked away from the counter and called the police

The guy stood there, waiting for the pharmacist To give him the Xanax, until the cops showed up

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

I knew a guy who tried to rob a pharmacy for some xanax. He threatened the pharmacist with a knife. The pharmacist said okay hold on one minute, then walked away from the counter and called the police

The guy stood there, waiting for the pharmacist To give him the Xanax, until the cops showed up

I would too if I was in bad enough shape to pull a knife on somebody for a few bars. Benzos withdrawal kills people and it's not fun.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Not a legal question exactly, but relevant to the thread:

quote:

The new owners of the bar are longtime friends and Village regulars Matt Fink, Shawn Quinn, and Tom Oberwetter who hope to reopen the Village Bar — for the first time in more than 18 months — as early as Dec. 18.

All three of the new owners have other professions — Oberwetter is an attorney (his office is next door to the bar);

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hmmm…bourbon…brownest of the brown liquors…what’s that?? You want me to drink you? But I’m in the middle of a trial!

Cf. Care to join me in a belt of scotch?

It’s 9:30 in the morning.

Yeah but I haven’t slept in days.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thesaurus posted:

No way that guy would get close to $75k with those facts, which don't even mention whether he was fired or whatever. Probably $5k tops, and that's after his case is likely dismissed by the administrative agency right out the gate and he has to scrape together money to hire an attorney.

It's incredulous because these cases are almost never as simple or frivolous as people make them out to be. It's often the employment equivalent of the McDonald's coffee spill lawsuit that everyone thinks was just some lady scamming easy money. An outsider hears a simplified or possibly false account of the "facts" and assumes it's all a scam. Unsurprisingly, this is usually the version put forward by employers and their counsel.

If the guy knows he is really not being discriminated against (which the example assumes), then why wouldn't he make up more convincing examples of harassment than one vague reference to chicken? If he believes that it's discrimination, then it's not a scam, and he's entitled to pursue it, but this scenario as presented is even flimsier than the flimsiest sort of cases that usually crop up. Assuming he's earnest about taking legal action, then I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of demeaning or heinous comments and behavior from the manager start to surface that was left out of the anecdote.

There are certainty plenty of very weak discrimination cases, but it's like with the ADA discussion: we put the burden of enforcing anti discrimination laws squarely on the people who are getting hosed over and have the least means to do so. And when a fraction of them are successful to some small degree, we assume they're milking the system at the expense of good, upstanding American companies. Congrats! You can now file a lawsuit (likely years after you began the administrative process)! Oops you're unemployed and made too little for lawyers to take your case on commission. Good luck! The system works as intended.
Remember that this guy is a car salesman, so there's a good chance given his moral foundation and relationship with the truth that the actual fact pattern is closer to "put on a white hood and burned a cross on the guy's lawn with my buddies."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

Say you got a guy with 3,000,000 in assets and 2,500,000 in liabilities staring down a likely 1,000,000 judgment.

I assume the guy would declare bankruptcy at some point but would he maybe do it before the trial just to delay things? What would the advantages be of declaring bankruptcy beyond the normal "preserve your primary home" stuff?

It seems to me like it would absolutely be better for the guy to sell some assets and come up with at least 200 grand to try and avoid a much worse outcome but maybe its so hard to extract money out of judgments the guy figures he'll be dead and it'll be his estate coughing up the money and doesn't give a poo poo.

Okay same question but instead of 3m in assets and 2.5m in liabilities its 3m in assets and only 1m in liabilities.

None of this poo poo make any sense. I think the guy might be mentally disabled or maybe his lawyer is.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Remember that this guy is a car salesman, so there's a good chance given his moral foundation and relationship with the truth that the actual fact pattern is closer to "put on a white hood and burned a cross on the guy's lawn with my buddies."

no joke, the craziest harassment cases always seem to arise from sales jobs in general, and car dealerships in specific. They're hotbeds for crazies

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

blarzgh posted:

Pure speculation, but the only plausible grounds I can come up with are is if the requirement to carry and sell a particular drug, or whatever drug they are told to carry and sell, is somewhere in a general distribution contract between the pharmacy and the supplier.

Something like Walgreens and Pfizer have a national contract that says, "Walgreens agrees to stock and fill orders of whatever Pfizer drugs that Pfizer sends them." And since Oxy falls under that definition, they might be in breach for refusing.

But assuming no such contract, I can't conceive of a legitimate basis for such a lawsuit.

Let me add more context. The key part of the lawsuit is this: 2 years ago, a customer came in and asked for his salesman, Paul. The person he spoke to said something to the effect of "We have two Paul's here, Paul X and Paul Y. " the customer replied I don't know which one. The person then replied was he white or black?" The customer said "Black" and the employee said ,"ok Paul Black then."

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

This is pretty vague as I don't remember the details and don't personally know anybody involved.

Several years back, two guys in a bar got into it and both willingly stepped outside to fight. One of the guys hit the other, and the other fell down and cracked his head open on a parking block and died. The hitter got charged with murder or manslaughter or something. Not sure how the trial went.

The question here is: how is that different than two boxers stepping into the ring or two MMA fighters who are both willingly fighting each other? Is it as simple as signing a disclaimer?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

D34THROW posted:

Here's a TV-inspired hypothetical for medical lawgoons. A pharm rep on Dopesick used it as a threat to get a pharmacy to continue carrying OxyContin. I'm not 100% sure if the threat was ever really used but Google is giving me bupkis on whether it's plausible.

1) Can a pharmacist really be sued by doctors and/or patients for refusing to carry a particular medication?

I don't think you can sue your vet for not selling you your Invermectin.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I dunno, Donald gave us the Right to Try (Horse Dewormer) law.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

SkunkDuster posted:

This is pretty vague as I don't remember the details and don't personally know anybody involved.

Several years back, two guys in a bar got into it and both willingly stepped outside to fight. One of the guys hit the other, and the other fell down and cracked his head open on a parking block and died. The hitter got charged with murder or manslaughter or something. Not sure how the trial went.

The question here is: how is that different than two boxers stepping into the ring or two MMA fighters who are both willingly fighting each other? Is it as simple as signing a disclaimer?

It's going to depend on the laws of the state. Some have "mutual combat" laws where you more or less can consent to a fight, up to various limits that might prohibit consent to a fight that involves weapons or continues after one person gives up. Some might have a law that says "no fighting period, unless you have a permit signed by the Office of Fight Approval". In practice though, if somebody dies even in a fully sanctioned and lawful sport, there's going to be legal fallout at least at a civil level.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
It depends.

Off the top of my head the question would be whether death or serious bodily injury is a reasonable consequence of your actions. Like I can throw a surprise party and the surprisee can die of a heart attack. Even though my actions contributed to causing his death, nobody could have reasonably foreseen that and there was a secondary cause (heart disease) that contributed also. At a certain point everything on the planet and every action we take is theoretically capable of causing or contributing to someone's death, but there is a limit to whether the law holds someone criminally responsible for unforeseen consequences.

Crimes also require a mental state. Manslaughter typically requires reckless state of mind. The hallmark of recklessness is whether the conduct or consequence constituted a gross deviation from the standard of care of a reasonable person. The "gross deviation" part is what separates accidents from crimes. Think random traffic car accident vs drunk driving death. Did the person throwing the punch do so in a manner that was a gross deviation from what a reasonable would throw in that situation?

In that scenario I would ask if the puncher was wearing, say, bread knuckles. My auto correct said bread knuckles and that's fantastic. Brass knuckles. Or got on top of the decedent and landed several blows while the guy was unconscious laying on the pavement. Or whether the decedent tripped on some external thing. The devil is in the details.

And the devil is in the details of the criminal statute. Is this in a state with extremely strict laws where reckless killing is a Murder 1*? Or in Alaska where a reckless killing gets you two years on an ankle monitor? Or in NY where the police ain't got time for something like two idiots in a fist fight, they have fifteen gang executions today they need to solve?

*In these states it tragically depends on skin color of those involved too.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SkunkDuster posted:

This is a very brass and butter question, knuckles.

Firstly, those situations are not equivalent. Two contracted professional fighters entering into a professional bout of athletic competition in accordance with a strict set of rules, under supervision and with a referee matters a lot compared to a drunken, spur of the moment piece of criminal street violence between two people who wish eachother actual harm. And then you add a death.

From a societal standpoint the second is an overall source of unrest, injury and usage of societal health and police resources and is criminal behaviour at the outset for that reason.

That said, it is jurisdiction dependent. If there is consent like mentioned previously, it matters what type of consent and if that consent is even legal. For the longest time boxing was technically illegal in Norway because you couldn't consent to be hit and or injured. They changed it, but it's still kinda iffy in relation to severe athletic injuries.

So, mental gymnastics where in one is a societal no no and the other is "sports". Basically the difference. That said, having been into MMA it's really not the same as a drunken brawl in the street. The amount of control and athleticism that goes into a bout is un loving real and injuries are way less common than any kind of brawl situation.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nice piece of fish posted:

For the longest time boxing was technically illegal in Norway because you couldn't consent to be hit and or injured.

Being Norway, the nonconsensual burning, murdering, raping and pillaging was just fine though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

joat mon posted:

Being Norway, the nonconsensual burning, murdering, raping and pillaging was just fine though.

They made sure to do that outside of Norwegian jurisdiction.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Several Australian jurisdictions introduced legislation specifically to make sure it was a criminal offence to kill someone in one drunken punch since manslaughter wasn't working so well for that situation. In general you can't consent to grievous bodily harm or death though so even if you're mutually fighting that doesn't mean you get to kill someone.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

D34THROW posted:

Plan B, but the legal consequences came from the pharmacist refusing to fill even though the pharmacy had it stocked and refusing to return the prescription. Not sure if this is what you had in mind though.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

DTaeKim posted:

Plan B, but the legal consequences came from the pharmacist refusing to fill even though the pharmacy had it stocked and refusing to return the prescription. Not sure if this is what you had in mind though.

No, that completely makes sense, with it being in stock and refusing to return the script. I'm talking about refusing to stock a medication on XYZ grounds (personal, ethical, moral, etc). I thought it sounded like a bullshit threat and that's what it is.

This poo poo is why my wife hates watching TV with me sometimes :v:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I mean they make it pretty clear in the show that it was a bullshit threat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

They made sure to do that outside of Norwegian jurisdiction.

Yeah there's a reason they called it the "Dane Law"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sullat posted:

Yeah there's a reason they called it the "Dane Law"

No that was because nobody could understand it

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

D34THROW posted:

No, that completely makes sense, with it being in stock and refusing to return the script. I'm talking about refusing to stock a medication on XYZ grounds (personal, ethical, moral, etc). I thought it sounded like a bullshit threat and that's what it is.

This poo poo is why my wife hates watching TV with me sometimes :v:

Still would be Plan B. In the United States, some states have laws requiring pharmacies to stock it while other states have conscience clauses allowing a pharmacist to refuse to stock certain medications. That said, you're likely to run into this with independent pharmacies rather than a chain pharmacy.

So the answer is it depends on the state.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Suppose someone living in oklahoma, who is elderly and infirm, and had an apartment fire and had to move to a temporary place without internet, had their son "get the internet working" which involved tethering their computer to their cell phone using Google Fi, which normally costs next to nothing but if you use your computer all day every day for a month on it, runs up a $900 bill.

This hypothetical cancer-surviving grandmother who has just lost everything and has no renter's insurance and is drat near destitute, has her paypal cleaned out by the phone provider because it was set on autopay. She appeals but they immediately deny the appeal because she admits she really did tether her phone and use all that data. They have a program called Bill Protection which if grandma had, would have limited her to $80 maximum (and throttled her data connection after a certain limit). Apparently without that enabled, the sky is the limit.

Could there be any sort of federal or state laws that limit what a phone company can bilk from a sickly near-homeless woman who didn't know what the implications were of running her internet over her phone for several weeks? I know the answer is probably "nope" but I am hoping I'm wrong.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Could there be such a law? Sure!

Will there be? Ehhhhhh…

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Whoever put a clueless grandma on Fi should be paying for that, jesus christ

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Javid posted:

Whoever put a clueless grandma on Fi should be paying for that, jesus christ

Hypothetically let's say it was was her other son, who doesn't have Fi, or maybe her daughter, I'm not sure. Neither of them have any money either. Probably in this story, both of them assumed she had that protection turned on too, or that it was the default.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hypothetically they should cover the bill, jeez.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The phone company provided a service for a month that was paid for, they aren't going to walk that back. Those kids need to set up an installment plan with grandma.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Is there any actual legal bar on using the title "Dr." without having a doctorate? I don't plan on giving expert advice in any regulated field, I just think it'd be kinda cool if my utility bills were addressed to Dr. Thuryl instead of Ms. Thuryl. I'm in Australia but I'm also not planning on actually doing this so I'm mostly curious if a law regulating the use of titles exists anywhere.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
No clue about Australia, so here's some useless information about America. You can call yourself whatever you want. I can say I'm a board-certified brain surgeon if I want to impress people at my high school reunion. But if I try to perform brain surgery, I'm going to jail because I am not in fact a doctor. It's the doing that gets you in trouble, not the bragging. There may be exceptions. I'm not actually a lawyer.

There was for instance a law against pretending to be a veteran, and the supreme court killed it on free speech grounds. It's still illegal to pretend to be a veteran and fraudulently get some benefit from it, but calling myself a Navy Captain at the high school reunion is not going to get me in (legal) trouble.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Thuryl posted:

Is there any actual legal bar on using the title "Dr." without having a doctorate? I don't plan on giving expert advice in any regulated field, I just think it'd be kinda cool if my utility bills were addressed to Dr. Thuryl instead of Ms. Thuryl. I'm in Australia but I'm also not planning on actually doing this so I'm mostly curious if a law regulating the use of titles exists anywhere.

(Not a lawyer, but a health practitioner so somewhat familiar with this area of Australian law)
In Australia, the title Medical Practitioner or Medical Specialist is a protected title under the health practitioner regulation national law (like Psychologist, Pharmacist, etc.)

'Doctor' isn't (and is an honorific for medical practitioners, as it is for most health professions that use it), and doesn't have any inherent restrictions in use (but might in specific contexts, e.g. engaging in misleading and deceptive conduct in trade or commerce in violation of a state Fair Trading Act; or committing fraud).

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Captain von Trapp posted:

No clue about Australia, so here's some useless information about America. You can call yourself whatever you want. I can say I'm a board-certified brain surgeon if I want to impress people at my high school reunion. But if I try to perform brain surgery, I'm going to jail because I am not in fact a doctor. It's the doing that gets you in trouble, not the bragging. There may be exceptions. I'm not actually a lawyer.

There was for instance a law against pretending to be a veteran, and the supreme court killed it on free speech grounds. It's still illegal to pretend to be a veteran and fraudulently get some benefit from it, but calling myself a Navy Captain at the high school reunion is not going to get me in (legal) trouble.

What's the right joke for this?

We all already know you aren't a navy captain, Mr. von Trapp.

If you hadn't spent all your time picking little white flowers high in the Alps perhaps you could have learnt to sail a ship.

Yeah but it might get you conscripted by the Germans.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 16, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thuryl posted:

In Pennsylvania which is somewhat north west of WA:

Section 422.10 - Unauthorized practice of medicine and surgery
No person other than a medical doctor shall engage in any of the following conduct except as authorized or exempted in this act:

(1) Practice medicine and surgery.
(2) Purport to practice medicine and surgery.
(3) Hold forth as authorized to practice medicine and surgery through use of a title, including, but not necessarily limited to, medical doctor, doctor of medicine, doctor of medicine and surgery, doctor of a designated disease, physician, physician of a designated disease, or any abbreviation for the foregoing.
(4) Otherwise hold forth as authorized to practice medicine and surgery.
63 P.S. § 422.10

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Some people call Steve Miller the Doctor of Love and I don't think he has faced any legal repercussions even though he does not, in fact, have a degree in Love.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They don’t say the medical doctor of love

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SkunkDuster posted:

Some people call Steve Miller the Doctor of Love and I don't think he has faced any legal repercussions even though he does not, in fact, have a degree in Love.

Much like I am a doctor of law and will someday be a doctor of philosophy, I cannot hold myself out as a medical doctor.

Similarly, a medical doctor would get in trouble for advertising themself as a lawyer if they are not also a lawyer.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Mr. Nice! posted:

Much like I am a doctor of law and will someday be a doctor of philosophy, I cannot hold myself out as a medical doctor.

Similarly, a medical doctor would get in trouble for advertising themself as a lawyer if they are not also a lawyer.

Yeah. They wear white coats, we wear white shoes.