Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
*Insert obligatory Tarantino joke here*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The "train tracks" in this video are really tram tracks. This is not to say that a collision with a tram couldn't ruin your day, but there's a pretty big difference between "turning onto a paved lane with rails running in it" and "trying to drive down a rail line over rail ballast and ties."
I've seen another video from a while back where one does try to drive onto actual train tracks!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Volmarias posted:

Huh, you mean sort of how bank accounts are in most cases just numbers, and financial transactions are just numbers moving around instead of any physical exchanges occurring, with periodic true-ups as appropriate?

Weird, that sounds almost like a thing that the banks they scream about Fiat Currency do????

Indeed. That's why moving to something other than POW makes sense, because the original idea of decentralized transactions isn't workable when the fees and delay becomes excessive.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1470302575236841472

Has anyone sold an NFT of a kidney yet? What's taking so long?!

Also, I'm dying to know what the fourth application is. Well, I'm not dying, but if I were, I'd hope that blockchain could save me.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"we're sorry but according to the blockchain your lungs belong to a guy named FuttBucker2234 so please stay still while we get those out of you"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Scratch Monkey posted:

"we're sorry but according to the blockchain your lungs belong to a guy named FuttBucker2234 so please stay still while we get those out of you"

Is REPO! The Genetic Opera getting rebooted already?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yes public ledger medical records are surely the killer application we've all been waiting for. Lmao.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1470302575236841472

Has anyone sold an NFT of a kidney yet? What's taking so long?!

Also, I'm dying to know what the fourth application is. Well, I'm not dying, but if I were, I'd hope that blockchain could save me.

The sad thing is that there's some niche applications like medication chain of custody up to delivery to healthcare provider is actually useful here, but we won't see anyone "disrupt" an industry with that so

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Volmarias posted:

The sad thing is that there's some niche applications like medication chain of custody up to delivery to healthcare provider is actually useful here, but we won't see anyone "disrupt" an industry with that so

How would it be useful then?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Explain, in detail, how a database is not a better answer than blockchain for regulated chain of custody tracking.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Can't they just do a 51% attack on the block chain and rewrite it, rendering it useless for this purpose?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The “idea” is that the records are tied to a blockchain that is too big for a malicious actor to reasonably reach 51% in either a proof-of-work or proof-of-stake system. Alternatively, there are non-public blockchains (IBM has one) that do the distributed data thing but without a currency attached, and since getting on such an import system would require divulging your real identity then there’s serious disincentives to sue. Of course, buying into a private blockchain removes the whole “independence” thing but paying attention to details is against the spirit of the blockchain.

There’s also the problem of MAKING YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS PUBLICLY VIEWABLE but, again, details.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Motronic posted:

Explain, in detail, how a database is not a better answer than blockchain for regulated chain of custody tracking.

Only this example:

Our dog's vet's office closed without any notice and all the records are HISTORY.

And yeah that happened with doctors too.

The problem with most of the blockchain stuff is it's inefficient and sucks for storing lots of data. But a level 2 chain (no excessive energy/fees) with IPFS (decryption keys in the BC, encrypted data in IPFS) might be a good thing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What if, and I'm just spitballing here- The American government/state-run healthcare were responsible for hosting people's medical records instead of individual private enterprise

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Only this example:

Our dog's vet's office closed without any notice and all the records are HISTORY.

The problem with most of the blockchain stuff is it's inefficient and sucks for storing lots of data. But a level 2 chain (no excessive energy/fees) with IPFS (decryption keys in the BC, encrypted data in IPFS) might be a good thing.

So blockchain is a better solution than........having your state vet board maintain an EMR system? Require better recordkeeping/retention/policies on dissolution? Have them required to provide you personally with copies of the records each time they are updated?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mister Facetious posted:

What if, and I'm just spitballing here- The American government/state-run healthcare were responsible for hosting people's medical records instead of individual private enterprise

That sounds like OVERREACH

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Motronic posted:

So blockchain is a better solution than........having your state vet board maintain an EMR system? Require better recordkeeping/retention/policies on dissolution? Have them required to provide you personally with copies of the records each time they are updated?

I'm just giving an example, not rating it.

Sadly the state vet board doesn't do that and literally the office (a large one) closed with zero warning or any effort to get us records. No one to call etc.

Oh and my wife told me the same thing happened with one of her regular doctors as well. Closed office. New doctor can't get the records. No one to talk to.

Medical record keeping isn't that well organized at many offices in the USA.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
The blockchain doesn’t solve this problem. A distributed system will only stay that way as long as people are interested in maintaining it (either through mining coin which means it gets progressively expensive to maintain medical records or inflationary pressure means system periodically disappear) or it fractures and fails like streaming provider have. Either way someone is going to lose their medical records. Or you have a centralized government maintain records cheaply in a sql (or if your feeling fancy nosql) database.

e: gently caress it, a lovely excel spreadsheet would be better than blockchain

Ulta fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 14, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Blockchain is a solution searching for a problem to fix. Its not going to find any. Its been nearly a decade now and its still a useless buzzword.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
If your dog was on the blockchain you'd still need to carry the key somewhere to access it. If you are being required to store a key file or not be able to access the records why not just store the dog records yourself? Either way it's a file that if you lose it you can no longer have the records but one requires a nuclear power plant to run and one doesn't.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If your dog was on the blockchain you'd still need to carry the key somewhere to access it. If you are being required to store a key file or not be able to access the records why not just store the dog records yourself? Either way it's a file that if you lose it you can no longer have the records but one requires a nuclear power plant to run and one doesn't.

We can call this project the barkchain

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Guys, every time I use my oven it sets the kitchen on fire, so instead of fixing the oven to not set my kitchen on fire, I've decided to cover my entire kitchen in flame retardant material.

I'm disrupting!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

VideoGameVet posted:

Only this example:

I'm afraid sir that this hospital uses the 'weCare' blockchain. We cannot currently import your data from the 'healthCoin' chain from your previous doctor. Sorry.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VideoGameVet posted:

Only this example:

Except even in your example your records would be gone because these records aren;t public so the private block chain they were stored would have been deleted to free space....
Exactly what happened with the physical records.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Blockchain is terrible at verifying something happened in the real world because people can just lie to the blockchain and now their lie is the immutable “truth”

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
My doctor wrote to blockchain that I'm a hypochondriac with drug addictions and now I can't get any care from anywhere, please help I'm dying

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
doc chain

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Jose Valasquez posted:

Blockchain is terrible at verifying something happened in the real world because people can just lie to the blockchain and now their lie is the immutable “truth”

Countdown till someone sends cash to a random wallet with a note saying "Here's the ransom please let my son live" to test this?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Also like, is the idea doctors alone would hold the key meaning if they went out of business they would simply not give you the key making the situation identical to if they did not exist to give you the record.

OR

is the idea that you would hold the key yourself, have free edit rights to your medical records and just live in a world where leaked medical records is not only a thing but also leaked medical editing rights? Like will I be going to the doctors explaining every time that 4chan is giving me butt cancer over and over because someone hacked my email once?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also like, is the idea doctors alone would hold the key meaning if they went out of business they would simply not give you the key making the situation identical to if they did not exist to give you the record.

OR

is the idea that you would hold the key yourself, have free edit rights to your medical records and just live in a world where leaked medical records is not only a thing but also leaked medical editing rights? Like will I be going to the doctors explaining every time that 4chan is giving me butt cancer over and over because someone hacked my email once?

You buy treatment as non-fungible tokens that link to a .jpg in Wikipedia that shows what kind of tumour you have?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Also how do you revoke editing rights? My old doctor from when I was 4 can still edit my records because he had the key when I was 4? When he dies and his kids go through his stuff do they have the key now?

The answer can't be "just make new records every time" because again, if you do that then it's just the same as transfering the records at all!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Obviously the issues with medical records isn’t technology it’s our f’ed medical system.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Nenonen posted:

You buy treatment as non-fungible tokens that link to a .jpg in Wikipedia that shows what kind of tumour you have?

NFT x-ray and biopsy pictures, of course!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Blockchain is a solution searching for a problem to fix. Its not going to find any. Its been nearly a decade now and its still a useless buzzword.

Let's be fair here, it's really streamlined asset-based money laundering

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

Let's be fair here, it's really streamlined asset-based money laundering

Blockchain is slightly different from most cryptocurrency stuff, but yes you are correct otherwise.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

its actually blockchain's monster

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This thread doesn't seem to lack for quality thread titles

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

as a break from blockchain bullshit have some tech child exploitation, featuring child labor, digital scrip, gambling4kids and pedophile gamedevs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXlauRB1EQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMF6xEiAaY

roblox is currently valued as the highest-value gaming company in the world, beating activision-blizzard and nintendo

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Stexils posted:

as a break from blockchain bullshit have some tech child exploitation, featuring child labor, digital scrip, gambling4kids and pedophile gamedevs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXlauRB1EQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMF6xEiAaY

roblox is currently valued as the highest-value gaming company in the world, beating activision-blizzard and nintendo

Lawfare Podcast did an interesting episode about content moderation in video games that touched on some Roblox problems. It's pretty fascinating and also horrifying.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/lawfare-podcast-video-games-cannot-escape-content-moderation-reckoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only silver lining to the Roblox bullshit is that it'll fizzle out after a while. I know it's been around for a while but they'll fizzle out when the current crop of kids grow out of it and move onto the next thing.

Do they even make those toys anymore? I remember seeing physical Roblox toys at comic book shops back in 2008. For the longest time I figured the video game was the side thing with the toys being the main business but it looks like it shifted at some point.