Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay, please let's just drop it before I do need to make a rule about discussing new variants. All I am asking is that you engage with what posters are actually saying instead of what you think they are saying. If you want to post a tweet or article with news in it, give some commentary or analysis of your own. I gently caress that stuff up too, I'm not magically immune because I have buttons, but I am trying to recognize it and keep this thread useful and readable for folks that want to discuss Covid.

Thanks for your participation and understanding.

e: Cats pondering orb

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They keep a whole lot of tweets on twitters, you want to find an opinion you made up? Go look on twitter and it's gonna be there
drat sho nuff

https://twitter.com/hateball_sa/status/985748863863500801?s=21

https://twitter.com/anti_minotaur/status/803041450648702976?s=21

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

See, you can just think up any wrong opinion and type it into twitter and it'll get some hit on some nobody with 1 likes that said it.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I don’t read this thread to hear about twitter drama. Shut up and post optimistic things that are way too optimistic but keep people from going crazy. It’s important to read opinions you don’t agree with because otherwise you end up reinforcing your craziest views. That’s why you should read all the different Covid threads and keep an open mind that a) the world isn’t ending and b) everything isn’t just fine and Covid isnt over

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nexous posted:

I don’t read this thread to hear about twitter drama. Shut up and post optimistic things that are way too optimistic but keep people from going crazy. It’s important to read opinions you don’t agree with because otherwise you end up reinforcing your craziest views. That’s why you should read all the different Covid threads and keep an open mind that a) the world isn’t ending and b) everything isn’t just fine and Covid isnt over

I can post this chart:

And this cat I saw in south africa:

And this sign from SA I saw that I keep wanting to post because it's funny but seems mocking:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

When your response to objectively terrible news is "lol" and "lmao" and "yeah baybee!" it is possible that readers may assume that you are a terrible nihilist who revels in death and suffering, even if you were posting iRoNiCaLlY or whatever.

For the record, I'm not claiming that you *are* a terrible nihilist who revels in death and suffering. I don't believe that at all. I just think that cspam has broken your humor calibration.

Castaign fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 14, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Castaign posted:

When your response to objectively terrible news is "lol" and "lmao" and "yeah baybee!" it is possible that readers may assume that you are a terrible nihilist who revels in death and suffering, even if you were posting iRoNiCaLlY or whatever.

For the record, I'm not claiming that you *are* a terrible nihilist who revels in death and suffering. I don't believe that at all. I just think that cspam had broken your humor calibration.

Can't speak for VS but

slorb
May 14, 2002

Castaign posted:

When your response to objectively terrible news is "lol" and "lmao" and "yeah baybee!" it is possible that readers may assume that you are a terrible nihilist who revels in death and suffering, even if you were posting iRoNiCaLlY or whatever

Absurdist humour is a valid and time honoured response to governments deciding to kill millions of their own citizens for no rational reason, whether through wars or refusing to take diseases seriously.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

mobby_6kl posted:

Can't speak for VS but

I mean... Sure? But:

THERAPIST: you've started calling objectively awful things "insanely good" to protect yourself from how awful the world is
ME: lol that owns
THERAPIST: I do not find this to be an enjoyable or useful conversation

(Perhaps more to the point: I don't think that the D&D Covid thread should be playing the role of the therapist in this exchange. YMMV.)

Castaign fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 14, 2021

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

slorb posted:

Absurdist humour is a valid and time honoured response to governments deciding to kill millions of their own citizens for no rational reason, whether through wars or refusing to take diseases seriously.

I guess my point is that the humor at hand is less "absurdist" and more "tepid."

Some of what gets posted is legit hilarious (Wang Commander's giga vax posts for example). "lmfao, can't wait for the upcoming death tolls to be posted!" doesn't meet that standard (for me at least).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

slorb posted:

It’s not really absurdist humor to just cheer bad things like a team or act like you personally won if people die. It’s just treating suffering like entertainment. Like you have to make some actual joke to be humor.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

mobby_6kl posted:

Can't speak for VS but

Yeah I've never found this particular thing very helpful at all.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Like even detached irony seems better than intentionally seeking out bad news because it makes you feel good. Like deflecting suffering You happen to encounter with jokes is less awful than directly liking to see suffering so you can do more weak comedy material to yourself at it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I'm actually wondering whether this is an awesome troll or an absolute moron.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s a new option in masks for kids.

https://twitter.com/masknerd/status/1470564921045884929

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gynovore posted:

I'm actually wondering whether this is an awesome troll or an absolute moron.

Please don't peel off my stickers they are very popular in chud country.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Castaign posted:

For the record, I'm not claiming that you *are* a terrible nihilist who revels in death and suffering. I don't believe that at all. I just think that cspam has broken your humor calibration.

What are you talking about

I didn't lmao or do any of that at any terrible death or suffering.

Castaign posted:

"lmfao, can't wait for the upcoming death tolls to be posted!" doesn't meet that standard (for me at least).

I did not say this either

What is wrong with you, why are you just making poo poo up

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 14, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here is a case study in science working as it should, eventually.

https://twitter.com/GidMK/status/1468349812084908034

A sneak preview from the middle of the thread:

https://twitter.com/GidMK/status/1468349828723712003

Normally we talk about “garbage in, garbage out”, but here we have its twin: a model that can be fed perfectly good data and get garbage out.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Platystemon posted:

Normally we talk about “garbage in, garbage out”, but here we have its twin: a model that can be fed perfectly good data and get garbage out.

This explains Twitter

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Here is a case study in science working as it should, eventually.

https://twitter.com/GidMK/status/1468349812084908034

A sneak preview from the middle of the thread:

https://twitter.com/GidMK/status/1468349828723712003

The final tweet:

https://twitter.com/GidMK/status/1470552995091783683

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Now that they're talking about a multi shot omicron booster potentially, has there been any research into original antigenic sin? I feel like we've had multiple, multiple boosters for wild type and I hope it's not causing issues.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/qldhealth/status/1470591561096327170?s=20

NSW:

is it too late for the borders to go back up

UK is putting the boosters at 3 months+ but we're on 5+ months (now) so I guess we're going to find out who's got it right!!!!

freebooter posted:

Western Australia has announced it will reopen its borders to the rest of the country and the world on February 5. Unless I'm mistaken, by that point it will be the last place in the Western world to have relinquished a COVID-zero strategy and status quo. The only remaining places will be China/HK/Taiwan and a handful of tiny South Pacific nations.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-13/wa-border-open-date-announced-by-mark-mcgowan/100683620

we have 1.5 months of what i assume will be omicron turning the rest of the country into lcl to change our mind

edit: or as a preview of what we'll get.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 14, 2021

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Wang Commander posted:

I feel like we've had multiple, multiple boosters for wild type and I hope it's not causing issues.

no, you've had multiple boosters causing issues. i'm still on just one, personally

fnox
May 19, 2013

So what are we looking at, like, 2-3 more years of this poo poo every other season?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

fnox posted:

So what are we looking at, like, 2-3 more years of this poo poo every other season?

The virologists at work who have worked for decades with the other coronaviruses have talked about how it will probably become like the other ones. Which is to say that it would be something you catch as a young kid and the subsequent reinfections during youth and adulthood will make the symptoms milder over time.

Fun fact, the best negative controls for common coronavirus serology is the blood of infants! Because everyone else appears to have been exposed to them all and only babies of a certain age are likely to fill both the criteria of "have no maternal antibodies against coronaviruses left" and "likely not infected by the virus yet".

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1470684351151157252
First data out of South Africa, as expected VE takes a hit but Omicron appears milder, normal caveats about preliminary data etc.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1470684351151157252
First data out of South Africa, as expected VE takes a hit but Omicron appears milder, normal caveats about preliminary data etc.

Seems nearly all good news. The children datapoint is the only concerning one and another post in that thread mostly dispels it in that the same pattern predated omicron

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Zudgemud posted:

The virologists at work who have worked for decades with the other coronaviruses have talked about how it will probably become like the other ones. Which is to say that it would be something you catch as a young kid and the subsequent reinfections during youth and adulthood will make the symptoms milder over time.

Fun fact, the best negative controls for common coronavirus serology is the blood of infants! Because everyone else appears to have been exposed to them all and only babies of a certain age are likely to fill both the criteria of "have no maternal antibodies against coronaviruses left" and "likely not infected by the virus yet".

The last coronavirus iirc took 20,000 years to "attenuate" via selection pressure... On humans

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wang Commander posted:

The last coronavirus iirc took 20,000 years to "attenuate" via selection pressure... On humans

There is no coherent way to twist "East Asians seem to have acquired a gene that makes them less susceptible to coronaviruses 20,000 years ago" into "it TOOK 20,000 years for a virus to become less severe"

Even the claim east asians have some sort of increased coronavirus immunity at all is controversial (and politically is mostly just pushed to explain china's success as being something other than policy)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The real answer (maybe):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1889%E2%80%931890_pandemic

Where common cold virus OC43 seems to have diverged from cow virus at the exact same time a deadly pandemic was happening in 1889 that was called flu at the time but had few flu like symptoms and had exactly like coronavirus symptoms (loss of taste and smell).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
We have finally lost an important friend:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/omicron-deaths/

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The real answer (maybe):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1889%E2%80%931890_pandemic

Where common cold virus OC43 seems to have diverged from cow virus at the exact same time a deadly pandemic was happening in 1889 that was called flu at the time but had few flu like symptoms and had exactly like coronavirus symptoms (loss of taste and smell).

Yeah, and this also doesn't tell anything about how fast or if a new circulating coronavirus will mutate into a milder variant. OC43 is not necessarily that much milder than than it was before either, just that nowadays almost everyone has already had OC43 when they were young and more prone to have a mild infection (and the general health of the global population is probably better nowadays too, making it appear milder). Then as people have gotten older they have been reinfected every now and then and their aquired immunity from younger days helps them to cope with each new circulating OC43 strains, which have settled into a somewhat stable antigen profile.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/14/health/pfizer-covid-pill-paxlovid.html?referringSource=articleShare

Pfizer says its Covid pill will protect against severe disease, even from Omicron.

quote:

The results, based on an analysis of 2,246 unvaccinated volunteers at high risk of severe disease, largely match the company’s initial, smaller analysis of the clinical trial, released last month.

Pfizer said that 0.7 percent of patients who received Paxlovid were hospitalized within 28 days of entering the trial, and none died. By contrast, 6.5 percent of patients who received a placebo were hospitalized or died.

Pfizer also released preliminary data from a separate trial looking at people with a lower risk. These volunteers including vaccinated people who carried a risk factor for severe disease, as well as unvaccinated patients with no risk factors.

Among this group of 662 volunteers, Paxlovid reduced the risk of hospitalization and death by 70 percent, the company said.

This is the manufacturer saying this so it's a bit of a publicity article for Pfizer and the drug is only going to be widely available in wealthy areas I'm sure, but some good news on their antiviral pill.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Double post correction

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Is this something you came across in a weird attempt to doxx me?

Simmer down, Creamcups.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/EdTubb/status/1470470633251385345

Not looking good where I am.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
They need a new colour to represent a Rt of 4, maybe with sirens beside it or something.

But yeah, our 7 day growth % is up above 40% now and that's only going to get higher when Omicron is more widely established. And it sounds like most of the action from the government is going to be making small changes around the margins, like LTC home restrictions and maybe expanding booster availability (without expanding staff to adminster them most likely, so may the odds be ever in your favour i guess).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ah but omicron has only killed one person

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think anything about Ontario's stats says anything about relative severity, just that it spreads like a motherfucker (of course, it would be ridiculous to assume we're not going to see hospitalizations and deaths from having way, way more cases).

The share of omicron has apparently come up from minimal in only the past week, so it's impossible to say anything about the severity one way or another at this point, it's way way way too early in Ontario at least.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

It's amazing how continuously angry this makes you.

21 days after south africa went from 300 cases a day to 20,000 a day, but their total death toll yesterday was.... 11, none confirmed omicron.

Like at the end it's probably going to be some sort of fluke, or reporting issue, you will win in the end and get the deaths and get to yell "I told you so" at people that really pretty much agreed with you. But it's hilarious how much this is leaving you fuming in the meantime.

No one even mentioned anything about that, you are just spontaneously yelling it now.