Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wish Musk and his companies would go all in on space so that at least their money was being wasted on nothing instead of making things worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

how did kid just get up an run away after that lol wasn't he injured

adrenaline keeps you functional as long as your bones aren't broke and the muscles are still attached to them, for a few seconds at least.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

this is an interesting take from alex pareene on tesla autopilot: https://theap.substack.com/p/losing-a-street-fight-to-elon-musk
This is essentially how the car took over the streets in the first place, right?

e: lol that's what the article is about

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

lobster shirt posted:

this is an interesting take from alex pareene on tesla autopilot: https://theap.substack.com/p/losing-a-street-fight-to-elon-musk

He's absolutely right.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

when an Audi becomes a Ford

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/CFDMedia/status/1470498569622855687

A pedestrian slammed into a building

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i hate when i walk so fast it causes me to slam into a building, cars really are safer

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

meanwhile, in the less lovely timeline

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
gently caress. YES.
https://twitter.com/en_dash/status/1470012554890125317?t=XjS8j_hJSlI8MdqWAG4k4Q&s=19

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

with bollards in the legs in case any cagers get cheeky and try to run him down twice.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/14/motorist-jailed-for-running-over-cyclist-who-spat-on-his-car

w/e on the prison sentence but how can you just get a 3 year road ban after you've tried to kill someone with your land rover? he's 74 for should never be driving again

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

everyone pro- or anti-car knows and agrees that the act of driving a car makes you into a frothing demon of hatred, maybe something about it should change somewhat

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
From DC, there were two recent incidents of automotive violence. The kids from the vid we've already seen in the thread survived to tell his tale:
https://twitter.com/JohnHenryWUSA/status/1469855590851751942?t=xA9YRXu-gwZYdLVfRauaTw&s=19

The other one didn't and, after the city temporarily closed the door to safety concerns, drivers moved the barriers to open it back up:
https://twitter.com/JohnHenryWUSA/status/1470613416377257990?t=TM7aSvI85sVLqWt7YKcLhw&s=19

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cugel the Clever posted:

From DC, there were two recent incidents of automotive violence. The kids from the vid we've already seen in the thread survived to tell his tale:
https://twitter.com/JohnHenryWUSA/status/1469855590851751942?t=xA9YRXu-gwZYdLVfRauaTw&s=19

The other one didn't and, after the city temporarily closed the door to safety concerns, drivers moved the barriers to open it back up:
https://twitter.com/JohnHenryWUSA/status/1470613416377257990?t=TM7aSvI85sVLqWt7YKcLhw&s=19

the mayor is really stepping up by saying stuff like 'hey drivers, maybe consider slowing down' and continuing to delay and cancel safety projects. glad we have someone really committed to the goal of vision zero in office.

the more time goes by, the more surprised I am that she made the vision zero pledge in the first place. she won't even pick the low hanging fruit; as we get closer to the end of the ten year period it's only going to generate more and worse headlines for Bowser.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

slowing my M3 down a little so that the "No Cars" sign doesn't scratch the paint

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cugel the Clever posted:

honestly this type of thing isn't getting fixed unless we repair the psyche of the country, which aint happening anytime soon lol

everyone wants everything fast and nobody actually cares about anyone else

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Polo-Rican posted:

honestly this type of thing isn't getting fixed unless we repair the psyche of the country, which aint happening anytime soon lol

we just need to reframe dismantling car culture as being freedom-loving and reactionary

govt grants to have salaried staff chucking bikes into the windshields of passing cars all over the country

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Polo-Rican posted:

correct. everyone is intentionally atomized and self-absorbed to be good little paypiggy consumers to sell things to them to fill the void in their soul with consumer junk. everyone goes home to a 2000 sq ft plywood bubble surrounded on half-acre lot to the next bubble. they stay inside their bubble to get into another 4000 lb plastic+steel bubble to go to another bubble.

other people merely existence to be a personal inconvenience; no one else has sapience they're purely road blocks and meat bags whose only purpose is to facilitate transaction of money to consumer goods.

things like closed signs or speed limits are only for other rubes to follow. it's for the sheeple that you're outsmarting. sheeples are too stupid to realize you can just go around this speed bump and drive 50mph over the elementary school sidewalk instead.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

no matter how many of my brothers and sisters i have to watch get run down by motorists, i will never stop spitting on bonnets

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://twitter.com/DaveWeasel/status/1469483009430614021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
This highlights both the dire need for better infrastructure to mitigate harm, but also just how insufficient it is to expect that drivers will adequately be able to judge risk to themselves and their vehicle. Narrower streets and curb cuts are great and should be fought for! They're just not enough against the huge number of drivers on the road who are sociopathic, have a death wish, and/or are just plain loving morons.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Hubbert posted:

when an Audi becomes a Ford

lol

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Cugel the Clever posted:

This highlights both the dire need for better infrastructure to mitigate harm, but also just how insufficient it is to expect that drivers will adequately be able to judge risk to themselves and their vehicle. Narrower streets and curb cuts are great and should be fought for! They're just not enough against the huge number of drivers on the road who are sociopathic, have a death wish, and/or are just plain loving morons.

They're bent because drunks ran into them.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/henrygrabar/status/1470809181674524685

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Je vous verrai ŕ Paris mdr oů flâner n'est pas fatal hon hon hon hon hon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
europe is so so far above and beyond the lovely hellscape that is america. it's both funny and also very depressing

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/FinestFreedom/status/1470639523898003461?t=EUtSZGFpT07shBoI6zTQCg&s=19

Cool stuff

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Xaris posted:

europe is so so far above and beyond the lovely hellscape that is america. it's both funny and also very depressing

it's super uneven in europe too, there's just a little hope because some places sometimes make progress.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Me when the cops block the bike lane

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1470834541338279939?s=20

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

and there are shops directly across the street! i don't know how school placement works with zoning in the US, but all of the suburban public schools i went to were in the middle of residential neighborhoods, within walking distance of nothing

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Dec 15, 2021

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hope his teeth fall out of his mouth due to his own personal choices

Polo-Rican posted:

and there are shops directly across the street! i don't know how school placement works with zoning in the US, but all of the suburban public schools i went to were in the middle of residential neighborhoods, within walking distance of nothing

how's the contractor going to make his profit if kids are going across the street to buy food at lunch? slash, uh, sahrrey, it is a safetey isseueue

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

My first elementary school was built in the 1920s I think, and it was adjacent to our old downtown. This was a super rural area, but even those had towns back then. Anyway, we were within walking distance of the post office, the old bank, a grocery store, the fire department, some churches, and all the downtown houses.

Then they build a new elementary school in a big field on an empty road and no one could walk to anything anymore.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Police found:
Two AR-15s
1,139 rounds of ammo
Fire uniform equipment
An ounce of pot
Brass knuckles

Tedesco is charged with impersonating a police officer and possession of marijuana.

amazing country that the only thing illegal in that list is the weed.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

there are shops and restaurants in practically every quaint street and side street and alley in Paris. and the best part is that since no one buys anything anyway the shopowners spend most of their day closing for lunch, getting lunch, coming back from lunch and taking a break after lunch

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My first elementary school was built in the 1920s I think, and it was adjacent to our old downtown. This was a super rural area, but even those had towns back then. Anyway, we were within walking distance of the post office, the old bank, a grocery store, the fire department, some churches, and all the downtown houses.

Then they build a new elementary school in a big field on an empty road and no one could walk to anything anymore.

this is great news for all the young families who can send their kids to school and have a big yard for them to play in :downs:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

PeterCat posted:

They're bent because drunks ran into them.
Yup, because we pay mere lip service to being against intoxicated and distracted driving. Some 75% of drivers will nod solemnly about the need for those other, lovely drivers to stay off the road when they've been drinking or to keep off their phones, but they themselves know how to drive responsibly while having had a few too many or texting. Another 20% don't give a single gently caress.

Infrastructure will only reduce the harm of irresponsible driving, unless we're talking waving a magic wand and turning all cars into crushed cubes tomorrow. Current enforcement is effectively non-existent and universally only stands a chance of meaningful intervention after someone's been murdered, if at all. Part of the change must be those who know better building consciousness in those around them that this poo poo isn't a joke.

It would be nice if we also got free rein to completely trash the vehicles of anyone texting behind the wheel or driving in a bike lane. If you rightly think drivers might get scared of their vehicle being damaged when driving in narrower lanes, imagine how quickly things might change if tire slashing were guaranteed.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Police found:
Two AR-15s
1,139 rounds of ammo
Fire uniform equipment
An ounce of pot
Brass knuckles

Tedesco is charged with impersonating a police officer and possession of marijuana.

amazing country that the only thing illegal in that list is the weed.

Yea but Biden is working on the marijuana part right? Right?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Polo-Rican posted:

that’s because in the suburbs nothing is in walking distance

my middle school had a city jail across the street and a landfill next door - maybe try living in a democrat dominated area like we did

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I like that the British call it “drink driving.” I think it’s less tolerant of a phrase than “drunk driving.” Because you can pull the “I’m not drunk” bullshit, whereas yeah, you’ve been drinking so don’t drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

i went to inner city schools my whole childhood and let me tell you arbys 4 for 5 deal on beef and cheddar sandwiches was a godsend on meatloaf mondays