Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Martman posted:

Not with Halo, but only once I've had the console start to get really bogged down in general (slow, random crashes, etc.) and had to do a hard reset. The "Turn Console Off" function from the controller was only putting it to sleep, but when I forced a restart in the settings it fixed everything. I think something had gone weird during some installations or something.

Ok yeah, I just got this thing and was wondering if it might be related to the fact that I have not truly turned it "off" since I got it it a couple weeks ago, and have perpetually had 4-12 games suspended. Was kind of wondering if it was actually Halo or if it's the series X cause the menus will randomly lag too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The next Halo spinoff should be a monster hunter clone but you're all grunts

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would love to see a list of all the voice files used in Infinite, the amount of barks from the enemies seems... infinite. It's so good not hearing the same phrases over and over again like in literally every other game ever made.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

veni veni veni posted:

Ok yeah, I just got this thing and was wondering if it might be related to the fact that I have not truly turned it "off" since I got it it a couple weeks ago, and have perpetually had 4-12 games suspended. Was kind of wondering if it was actually Halo or if it's the series X cause the menus will randomly lag too.

i had one freeze like that for Halo, just give it the old turn it all the way off and then back on again. Your games all still stay suspended so you don't have to worry about losing progress or anything.

The Matrix demo is pretty drat cool.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

Anyone else get this 17GB! update of Skyrim!?

They're still not doing delta patching?! :psyduck: Was something like 2 gigs on my PS5.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

univbee posted:

They're still not doing delta patching?! :psyduck: Was something like 2 gigs on my PS5.
Pretty much every Master Chief Collection changelog is funny for this reason.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1470755878760435712

Coming to Game Pass: https://bit.ly/3IOgWUP

12/15
-Among Us

12/16
-Ben 10: Power Trip
-Broken Age
-Firewatch
-The Gunk
-Lake
-Mortal Kombat 11
-PAW Patrol Mighty Pups Save Adventure Bay
-Race with Ryan
-Record of Lodoss War
-Transformers: Battlegrounds

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also, the following games are leaving December 31:
Pro Evolution Soccer 2021
The Little Acre
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami 1
Yakuza Kiwami 2

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

gently caress, there go the Yakuzas.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
drat, been meaning to try Yakuza's out but never got round to it. Guess I have to get to it soon

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Gonna get 1000 cheevos in paw patrol, motherfuckers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

External Organs posted:

Gonna get 1000 cheevos in paw patrol, motherfuckers

I'm gonna race you.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Barudak posted:

I'm gonna race you.

Race with Ryan

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crafty posted:

drat, been meaning to try Yakuza's out but never got round to it. Guess I have to get to it soon

If you play any, play Yakuza 0, it’s so good.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
This review is for a different Paw Patrol game but I can't imagine there are significant gameplay differences.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I couldn't get into Yakuza. I tried 0 and then the other one with the guy with the hair, forgot the name.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

drat, they're really going for the little kid market. Ben 10, Paw Patrol, Ryan, Mortal Kombat...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cloks posted:

This review is for a different Paw Patrol game but I can't imagine there are significant gameplay differences.

Paw Patrol on a Roll is a sidescrolling platformer and this isn't.

They're both trash but why not have all achievements im both?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm interested in these :

-Broken Age
-The Gunk
-Lake

I played the demo of Lake and it seemed nice and relaxing, but hesitated about buying it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the gunk seems to have zero marketing spend whatsoever :smith:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Record of Lodoss War is supposed to be pretty good, part metroidvania part bullet hell with the Ikaruga polarity mechanic.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
give me that wonder labyrinth

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the gunk seems to have zero marketing spend whatsoever :smith:

The Steamworld games never did either, but I believe they all sold well, and they're some of the best games I've ever played.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah dig 1/2 are great

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Is that Transformers: Battlegrounds game worth taking a flyer on? It seems like Transformers XCom, sorta, which is extremely my poo poo.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I'll def try The Gunk and Poorly Titled Lodoss War.

I remember hoping Lake was more like a delivery game than a small town life chat game, but IIRC, reviews state it was the latter. Might give it a try anyway.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

The Midniter posted:

Is that Transformers: Battlegrounds game worth taking a flyer on? It seems like Transformers XCom, sorta, which is extremely my poo poo.

i have it for switch but still havent tried playing it.
The box basically says you are the commander and it has couch co-op

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

How long do I have to finish Yakuza Like A Dragon if 0 is rolling off now? They were added quite a bit a part right? Like 6 months?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

King Burgundy posted:

How long do I have to finish Yakuza Like A Dragon if 0 is rolling off now? They were added quite a bit a part right? Like 6 months?

Yakuza 0 was added February 2020, Like a Dragon was added June 2021 so if they're on the same timeline you still have over a year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Yakuza games are all very long, so get on them sooner rather than later. Especially Yakuza 6, and Like a Dragon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Imo you can jump straight into like a dragon but playing at least 0 will make some of it land much harder

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Y0 is the best to start with by a decent margin imo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Coming to Game Pass: https://bit.ly/3IOgWUP

12/15
-Among Us

12/16
-Ben 10: Power Trip
-Broken Age
-Firewatch
-The Gunk
-Lake
-Mortal Kombat 11
-PAW Patrol Mighty Pups Save Adventure Bay
-Race with Ryan
-Record of Lodoss War
-Transformers: Battlegrounds
I guess 4 cheap licensed shovelware games is the price to pay for getting actual good indie games like Deedlit in Wonder Labrynth

elf help book posted:

give me that wonder labyrinth

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 14, 2021

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Game Pass thinks it can gently caress with me by taking away my Yakuza games?? Well, I'm just going to buy those 2 they're taking away! And if they try and take the other ones away I'll buy those too! Your move, GP!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

Game Pass thinks it can gently caress with me by taking away my Yakuza games?? Well, I'm just going to buy those 2 they're taking away! And if they try and take the other ones away I'll buy those too! Your move, GP!

They're taking 3 of them away (0, 1 and 2).

The chronological sequence of Yakuza games is a bit weird due to how each was remade for newer consoles but 0 is still considered the best place to start. It was the last game made on the old engine. 2 and 6 are on the newer engine, although 6 was the first game made with it and is lacking in extra content when compared to most of the other titles in the franchise.

You will learn about life in a country at a time when the economy was insanely good, with a lot of authentic things from that era. Also you will help make Michael Jackson's Thriller video and have a dance-off with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFbjv3PiLBM

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

0 is the funniest game I’ve played in my life. The translation/localisation is amazing.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

univbee posted:

The chronological sequence of Yakuza games is a bit weird due to how each was remade for newer consoles but 0 is still considered the best place to start. It was the last game made on the old engine. 2 and 6 are on the newer engine, although 6 was the first game made with it and is lacking in extra content when compared to most of the other titles in the franchise.

You will learn about life in a country at a time when the economy was insanely good, with a lot of authentic things from that era. Also you will help make Michael Jackson's Thriller video and have a dance-off with him.

Well I'll buy all 3 then!

I started with 0 and I have no regrets. I'm on 2 right now. It's hard to picture playing 1 and 2 without 0 first. Playing 0 and thinking that Nishiki is going to be like your best bud for the next 6 games and that other characters would be mainstays made 1 feel crazy high stakes.

edit: There needs to be a Yakuza 0-2 which shows how Kiryu lost the hundreds of billions of dollars I painstakingly made for him in the 80s!

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 14, 2021

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

univbee posted:

I’ve only played like a dragon but isn’t 0 and origin story? Would it be better to play Kiwami 1 and 2 to get some background maybe before going to 0?

Also is 0 significantly better than Kiwami 1 and 2? Would suck to go to lesser games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

0 is the funniest game I’ve played in my life. The translation/localisation is amazing.

This is also worth highlighting, all of the games have some of the best localizations there are for Japanese games, the team that handles the English version is extremely talented and takes their work on this franchise very seriously. 3-5 actually got new translations compared to their PS3 versions, too.

Bum the Sad posted:

I’ve only played like a dragon but isn’t 0 and origin story? Would it be better to play Kiwami 1 and 2 to get some background maybe before going to 0?

Also is 0 significantly better than Kiwami 1 and 2? Would suck to go to lesser games.

Kiwami 1 was specifically tweaked to work as a sort of epilogue to Yakuza 0 so it's definitely recommended to play 0 first.

0 basically has the best balance of content overall:

- It has a very engrossing story that's very Japanese and very 80s, and is probably the best introduction to the two characters that will see the story through for the next 6 games. The storyline also utilizes a few seasoned Japanese actors who are excellent and among the most memorable antagonists in the franchise.
- It does an excellent job where the main story is extremely serious drama content and the side stories are some seriously silly comedy with a lot of those extras being extremely memorable in the franchise.
- It has a very high amount of high-quality extra content so it's a very deep game you can play for a long time if you want.
- It doesn't really have any significant weaknesses, the worst I can really say about it is "it's not on the new engine" but it does an excellent job with what the old engine is capable of.
- It's a very good representation of how 0-6 work overall while being an excellent introduction to the concepts in a way that's relatively low stakes, while in some of the other games things like deaths or making incorrect dialogue choices can carry harsher penalties.

1 suffers from being literally the first game in the franchise and originally being a PS2 game. They did a good job on remastering it but it still has some rough spots, and it can be frustratingly difficult if it's your first game in the franchise, getting a feel for how the fighting works through Yakuza 0 is extremely helpful for this. The first boss is notably bullshit if you don't really know what you're doing especially because enemies have a self-healing mechanic you don't see in the rest of the franchise and that you have to interrupt a specific way (doing a heat action of the stance matching their aura's color, or if it's red you equip a weapon and heat action with that).

2 is overall fine but it was designed somewhat as a story sequel, to the point where there's a mechanic at the very beginning to get a "previous on Yakuza" retrospective of the events, and it will work a lot better if you've actually experienced those first-hand.

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I hadn't gotten around to the Yakuza series until last year and expected to seriously enjoy it. So I started with 0 and it was occasionally funny but mostly boring and sexist. Was not expecting that. Thought I had several games worth of good time waiting for me.