Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
you think that's Jimmy Dean you're talking to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
are you saying i'll be able to dodge heart disease

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dipshit morpheus

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Welcome to the desert of the veal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...I know kung pao

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

haveblue posted:

...I know kung pao

Nuts

Lots of nuts.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Welcome to the desert of the veal

xD

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Neal Stephenson, eat your heart out
https://twitter.com/drewstruzan/status/1470435770498371589

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chris Knight posted:

Neal Stephenson, eat your heart out
valerie bertinelli and conrad bain?!?

:pusheen:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ive never heard anybody say a good thing about the wheel of time books. even my friends that were reading them when i was in college were like "nah dont bother starting, its all sunk cost at this point"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah even when I was commuting 3 hours a day and buying books specifically for length I got warned off of jordan

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

ive never heard anybody say a good thing about the wheel of time books

the complete series can level out up to twenty badly wobbly tables or chairs.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the fundamental problem with the Wheel of Time is that Jordan was so successful he was able to dictate to his publisher that his wife should be his editor and then the amount of unnecessary viewpoint characters ballooned while the time covered in each continued to shrink to nothing while the page count stayed the same

but The Magicians and The Expanse were also bad and turned into great TV shows, so we'll see what happens

I'm curious to see how the show deals with the very Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus attitude towards gender roles, which is baked into the magic system itself. especially since one of the male villain characters gets killed off by the hero and then is resurrected by satan in a female body but can still use male magic.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Moar like Waste of Time :smugbird:

srsly there aren't even gratuitous boobs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i want to see that bimbo forsaken

pseudorandom name posted:

especially since one of the male villain characters gets killed off by the hero and then is resurrected by satan in a female body but can still use male magic.

and the bimboified forsaken

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

but The Magicians and The Expanse were also bad

the expanse books were good, actually, until like ... idk, the 3rd or 4th one?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
landscapers on hbo is a delight

i will warn you that it’s a crime drama of sorts, but it is definitely not a procedural, and the cops are not at all heroic

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

the fundamental problem with the Wheel of Time is that Jordan was so successful he was able to dictate to his publisher that his wife should be his editor and then the amount of unnecessary viewpoint characters ballooned while the time covered in each continued to shrink to nothing while the page count stayed the same

A lot of author's work seems to decline somewhat as soon as they're more powerful than their editor.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
if you set the harry potter books up in order you can literally see the precise moment when rowling had enough power to push back against her publisher about being edited

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rotor posted:

the expanse books were good, actually, until like ... idk, the 3rd or 4th one?

I stopped reading a few chapters into book 4, which apparently everybody agrees is the worst book in the series of 9 books

the first three were at best adequate. overly long, not particularly innovative, the viewpoint character was an insufferable idiot, etc.

it turns out if you trim all the fat from the books to make eight TV episodes and you don't have to listen to the protagonist's internal monologue, the story gets much better

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh and I want to see how the Wheel of Time show handles the invasion of the doms and subs from the BDSM empire

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i want to see that bimbo forsaken

good news, Graendal is one of the 8 of the 13 Forsaken that the show has acknowledged

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
hell yeah dude

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

but The Magicians and The Expanse were also bad and turned into great TV shows, so we'll see what happens

I'm curious to see how the show deals with the very Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus attitude towards gender roles, which is baked into the magic system itself. especially since one of the male villain characters gets killed off by the hero and then is resurrected by satan in a female body but can still use male magic.

when i got to the end of the first book my reaction was "...wait, he's the kwisatz haderach? that's the ending to this book?? :wtc:"

i did not read any further

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I stopped reading a few chapters into book 4, which apparently everybody agrees is the worst book in the series of 9 books

the first three were at best adequate. overly long, not particularly innovative, the viewpoint character was an insufferable idiot, etc.

it turns out if you trim all the fat from the books to make eight TV episodes and you don't have to listen to the protagonist's internal monologue, the story gets much better

its a pulp sci-fi page-turner and it's good at it

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

rotor posted:

its a pulp sci-fi page-turner and it's good at it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
started blind watching Hellbound after I saw the title mentioned somewhere (maybe here) but couldn’t remember anything else about it. wasn’t sure what I was expecting based on the title, but I sure as gently caress wasn’t expecting this. two episodes in, it’s awesome, really fun and well acted.

I won’t say any more cause I think going in not knowing poo poo was a fantastic experience, but if you read this thread there’s a real good chance you’ll enjoy it. don’t feel bad about bailing if it doesn’t hook you in the first 7-10 minutes though, by that point you’ve got a pretty good representation of what the show is

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Moar like Waste of Time :smugbird:

srsly there aren't even gratuitous boobs

No braids tugged, no hands crossed beneath breasts, none of Robert Jordan's kinks scattered throughout, no gratuitous boobs. Why even make it into a tv series at this point???

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

no gratuitous boobs

this sucks poo poo actually. there should be gratuitous dick and balls and boobs. it makes things more fun. it has to be truly gratuitous though, it can’t be sleazy or exploitative or part of a sexual assault

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

like the best example of fully gratuitous nudity I can think of is the coed showers in Starship Troopers. there’s no need for it at all, you could have that scene anywhere, but it’s an excuse to get boobs and butts in. studio probably wouldn’t let anyone hang dong cause they’re cowards

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

No braids tugged, no hands crossed beneath breasts, none of Robert Jordan's kinks scattered throughout, no gratuitous boobs. Why even make it into a tv series at this point???
I feel like there was at least one hair readjustment at some point during the season but I can't remember when and I might be making it up.

indigi posted:

like the best example of fully gratuitous nudity I can think of is the coed showers in Starship Troopers. there’s no need for it at all, you could have that scene anywhere, but it’s an excuse to get boobs and butts in. studio probably wouldn’t let anyone hang dong cause they’re cowards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers_(film)#Production

quote:

The cast agreed to do the co-ed shower scene only if Verhoeven agreed to direct the scene naked, which he did.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 14, 2021

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

that scene is not gratuitous in the slightest. all of our characters are so brainwashed by the military-fascist society they live in that they can have a big group shower with a bunch of young hot people, and rather than anyone showing a hint of arousal, they all just talk about their duty to the state. it might be the most pivotal scene in the movie.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Truman Peyote posted:

that scene is not gratuitous in the slightest. all of our characters are so brainwashed by the military-fascist society they live in that they can have a big group shower with a bunch of young hot people, and rather than anyone showing a hint of arousal, they all just talk about their duty to the state. it might be the most pivotal scene in the movie.
I think if people were just used to co-ed showers it wouldn't be that big a deal?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I mean that might be the case realistically but in the context of a movie where michael ironside has to order rico to have sex I think the significance of the shower scene is quite clear

e: to be clear I agree with indigi about everything else, just not that this example is really gratuitous

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the scene is intended to be somewhat shocking to the viewer and highlight the difference from what we would expect from teenagers, but I'm just saying the fact that they have coed showers is not inherently a indictment of their culture.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

yeah, of course not. the indictment of their culture is that they would rather serve the state than gently caress each other.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what a loving Chad

Truman Peyote posted:

that’s an interesting perspective, it does make sense. although don’t they talk about Rico’s ex in there?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mystes posted:

I feel like there was at least one hair readjustment at some point during the season but I can't remember when and I might be making it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers_(film)#Production

quote:

In a 2016 interview, Casper Van Dien revealed in an interview about a funny incident when he was picking up his two daughters from school, "I went by the line at school to pick up my kids. You know, you drive up to the school and when I get there and there are these six 10 and 8 year old boys hanging out with my daughters. I pull up in the line and the boys go, 'Johnny Rico! Why didn't you tell us your dad was Johnny Rico?' And I said, 'What are you boys doing watching STARSHIP TROOPERS?' And they said, 'Our dads made us watch it with them!' Then my daughters get in the car and my 10-year-old says, 'Dad, were you really naked in STARSHIP TROOPERS?' And I said, 'Yeah,' and she said, 'How could you do that to me?!' Then my 8-year-old says, 'Wait, like naked naked?' And I said "Yup," and she said, 'Oh my God, my life is ruined!' That was the longest three minute ride home I have had in my life."

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
watched maniac on Netflix, it was a pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good. i’d describe it as philip k dick lite? jonah hill actually has range and alternate realities were fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lmao. my friend told me a story about going to a friend’s 8th birthday party in second grade and meeting her uncle Kurtwood Smith who he got to autograph a napkin because he loved him in Robocop. he said Kurtwood asked all concerned “do your parents know you saw that movie, it’s rated R” and he’s like yeah my dad took me opening weekend