Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Captain Walker posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion > Games > Traditional Games › Notable Gaming Experiences: The Gospel According to CobiWann's DM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Emptyquote + new page snipe in the same post? That's so stupid I'm definitely allowing it

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

+1 to the CobiWann's DM title

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My DM says "heh."

And good news - recaps will be coming back. We're wrapping up Curse of Strahd in the next few weeks before embarking on an entirely original campaign with new characters - The Crown of Azalin.

My DM made Ravenloft legit scary and creepy - I lost count of the number of times one of us went "aw, what the gently caress?" or fell into utter silence. Hell, the most unnerving thing in the entire campaign has been a loving WEDDING CAKE.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CobiWann posted:

My DM says "heh."

And good news - recaps will be coming back. We're wrapping up Curse of Strahd in the next few weeks before embarking on an entirely original campaign with new characters - The Crown of Azalin.

My DM made Ravenloft legit scary and creepy - I lost count of the number of times one of us went "aw, what the gently caress?" or fell into utter silence. Hell, the most unnerving thing in the entire campaign has been a loving WEDDING CAKE.

Your DM sounds like a gift to the world. I will never not be jealous of your games.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

the_steve posted:

Your DM sounds like a gift to the world. I will never not be jealous of your games.

Seriously, if there's a "behind the magic" post somewhere where they explain how they did such a top-notch campaign point me to it, I need to up my DM game hardcore

If no such post exists it would be hugely appreciated

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Seriously, if there's a "behind the magic" post somewhere where they explain how they did such a top-notch campaign point me to it, I need to up my DM game hardcore

If no such post exists it would be hugely appreciated

"There's plenty of sidequests you guys missed and threads you didn't pull on. Why would I tell you about them when I could just repurpose them in the next campaign? It gives me more time to come up with new stuff."

I swear, when he dies, remember the old Disney Movie Midnight Madness? It'll be a scramble across the Tri-State area for his notebooks.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I swear, when he dies, remember the old Disney Movie Midnight Madness? It'll be a scramble across the Tri-State area for his notebooks.

His final campaign was the greatest one of all....

And I'm already planning to be a recurring antagonist

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

Hell, the most unnerving thing in the entire campaign has been a loving WEDDING CAKE.

Have you seen how much those things cost? That would unnerve anyone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Had another session of my Rolemaster campaign in which one of the characters has superstitious as a flaw he bought to buy additional background options.

The player does a really good job of playing the superstition as every time he crosses “a threshold “ he has to ask permission from “the spirits”. It’s all left wonderfully vague and ripe for role playing shenanigans.

So anyway tonight the PCs move into their new home that they bought for a steal because I [ad-libbed] ruled that the man and woman living there were hot to sell and leave town because “their daughter died of the fever in this house and now it is haunted.”

It was a purely made-up-on-the-spot thing to explain away the fact that I was giving away the house so the players would have an anchor to the town at a low level. So the superstitious player decides he’ll roll to see how cursed the superstitious character thinks the home really is. Well the dice explode in a negative direction, indicating a critical fail. I interpret this to mean that the house actually IS because the superstitious character managed to draw the evil eye on himself and now something has crept into the house with them…

And we ended the session there.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

BTW, what's your avatar from?

It's from the wrestling company AEW. The three males are Trent?, Chuck Taylor, and Orange Cassidy who are part of a group known as the Best Friends (along with Kris Statlander and Wheeler Yuta). During the pandemic, AEW ran a bunch of shows in Jacksonville, and Trent?'s mom Sue would make random appearances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tff-JIxxn2E

https://youtu.be/ojbUMhCPFVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siyUvx-ViIU (go to 4:30, but I recommend the whole clip)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, Chaotic Hungry is absolutely an alignment.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We're at a brothel, right after the DM read a vague list of prices, ranging from 5-50 silvers

The rogue decides to try to bribe the lady at the front desk for info with a 1 silver coin and is pitiably rejected

"Can my friend Abe Lincoln change your mind?"

"How about our other friend Mr Commemorative State Quarters?"

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 7, 2021

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

CobiWann posted:

That's my daughter.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

CobiWann posted:

In Kobolds Ate My Baby! it is...or at least was, at once point. With others such as "awful stupid," "chaotic awful," and "blonde."

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Cobalt-60 posted:

In Kobolds Ate My Baby! it is...or at least was, at once point. With others such as "awful stupid," "chaotic awful," and "blonde."

blonde axis: legally blonde, basic blonde, illegally blonde

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I once was grouped with an ogre character who had Int 4 and whose alignment was 'chaotic stupid'

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/MemesDnd/status/1468880566661615622?t=r6OeLx3s119WUJRmIBAyBQ&s=19

According to Cobiwann's DM...

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

No, no - tell me more about Transmute Idaho.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

No, no - tell me more about Transmute Idaho.

Until Epic levels you can only transmute it into a Private Idaho.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kavak posted:

Until Epic levels you can only transmute it into a Private Idaho.

To be clear, it's Private Duncan Idaho, who may or may not serve you loyally, depending on your charisma, reputation, and treatment of him.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That's not Fred Schneider.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

I choose to believe that the top left corner is telling me the price for an adventure, so I should free the book by stealing it.

Yes, I'm pretty sure not paying for goods is what this author intended.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Railing Kill posted:

I choose to believe that the top left corner is telling me the price for an adventure, so I should free the book by stealing it.

Yes, I'm pretty sure not paying for goods is what this author intended.
Oh the PDF for this is drat easy to find. Price of Freedom itself is a stone-faced satire of Red Dawn and other "America gets hosed by Communist invaders" stories of the 80s by Greg Costikyan published by West End Games and "Your Own Private Idaho" is the only supplement/adventure that got released for it. It's alright. It's very old-rear end 1986 RPG design if you're into that and is mostly just encouraging you to be rampaging insurgents blowing things up for fun in-game.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Hostile V posted:

Oh the PDF for this is drat easy to find. Price of Freedom itself is a stone-faced satire of Red Dawn and other "America gets hosed by Communist invaders" stories of the 80s by Greg Costikyan published by West End Games and "Your Own Private Idaho" is the only supplement/adventure that got released for it. It's alright. It's very old-rear end 1986 RPG design if you're into that and is mostly just encouraging you to be rampaging insurgents blowing things up for fun in-game.

Ok, now you're speaking my language. I'll have to check this out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Reading this thread over the pandemic really makes me want to try being a DM again, especially since some family and friends are trying to get a game going as a bunch of first-timers.

Maybe an Eberron game where everyone's secretly an advanced Warforged, solving crimes and investigating mysteries?

Edit: Uh, poo poo, right, experiences.

Back in high school we had a gun run a campaign that involved Gundam or Mechs for some reason and I recall the one solitary session being so intensely railroaded (Nothing can touch the DM's antagonist, hits with all attacks, runs away without any chance of following) that everyone collectively refused to acknowledge we did that for the next decade.

Had another game, DND 3.5 iirc, where we had a newbie join our group as a Paladin. We're in a dungeon trying to delve some treasure and the rogue is busy disarming some traps when suddenly the Paladin stabs the "miscreant" because they were casting detect evil and CLEARLY knows the rogue is bad (no way I can remember what their alignment actually was) so the rogue fumbles the trap, gets poisoned and hurt, the fighter is fighting the paladin and, I think, someone fell down a pit and was dying? Bad time all around.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 10, 2021

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Did he actually know the rogue was bad or was that some weird metagamey wanting-to-start-poo poo thing? I would suspect, and Google seems to back me up, that most rogues would tend toward chaotic neutral (I guess because they're in it for themselves and for treasure and poo poo). That guy was a dick.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D34THROW posted:

Did he actually know the rogue was bad or was that some weird metagamey wanting-to-start-poo poo thing? I would suspect, and Google seems to back me up, that most rogues would tend toward chaotic neutral (I guess because they're in it for themselves and for treasure and poo poo). That guy was a dick.

Oh yeah, like, he was a completely new guy to our group, along with his friend (iirc, its been drat near two decades) and he just wanted to be an antag. That or really wanted to stick to his Paladin's "Must be good and always hate evil" background? :shrug:

I remember trying to play the Final Fantasy RPG that was like... not official but had a lot of work put into it for early 2000s? Our sessions would always kinda fizzle out because 1-hour lunch breaks don't give you as much time to explore and have fun as like 10 duels in Magic. I think I always tried to be an elementalist because you had a lot of diversity based on where you were, and that seemed like a great way to just have a party member feel different wherever you went. Along with sliding scale of utility :v:

The last time I played DnD (4e), some 8 years ago maybe, I was the DM and, after having spent weeks working on a campaign, we got a gang together and I ran through about 2 sessions before getting a 12 paragraph-long email about everything I did wrong. Left such a bad taste in my mouth that I just quit on the spot.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Bad time all around.

I hope your GM kicked the paladin’s player and retconned the entire session into a bad dream that never actually happened.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Agrikk posted:

I hope your GM kicked the paladin’s player and retconned the entire session into a bad dream that never actually happened.

Oh I think we just immediately pulled the chute on that particular free fall and did something else like MtG or Yugioh or whatever. We werent as smart back then to do things to recover a bad start.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh I think we just immediately pulled the chute on that particular free fall and did something else like MtG or Yugioh or whatever. We werent as smart back then to do things to recover a bad start.

Eh, you stopped someone else from ruining your fun and you found something else fun to do instead. Seems like a successful recovery to me.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The last time I played DnD (4e), some 8 years ago maybe, I was the DM and, after having spent weeks working on a campaign, we got a gang together and I ran through about 2 sessions before getting a 12 paragraph-long email about everything I did wrong. Left such a bad taste in my mouth that I just quit on the spot.

Was any of it useful or constructive, or was it all just lovely nitpicky stuff? And was it from one guy or more of a group effort?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CzarChasm posted:

Was any of it useful or constructive, or was it all just lovely nitpicky stuff? And was it from one guy or more of a group effort?

One guy and very nitpicky stuff. I got whiplash from it because it escalated so fast.

Now I just look at all my 4e, mechwarrior/battletech, Paranoia stuff and curse covid :(.

BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014

CobiWann posted:

This is the RN I work under, we routinely have to bribe her with a spinach and feta pizza

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

CobiWann posted:

My DM says "heh."

Would he care to weigh in again?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

CobiWann posted:

The Crown of Azalin.

oh gently caress oh poo poo oh crumbs

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

oh gently caress oh poo poo oh crumbs

...oh Gods drat IT.

I didn't think anyone else knew of this game. We played it a few times in college as a beer-and-pretzels version of Twilight 2000.

You know what isn't on my DM's banned spell list? Living Cloudkill. That's what we ended our last session with - in a forest seeping with chaos magic, surrounded by two Living Lightnings, a Living Color Spray, and a Living Cloudkill...

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CobiWann posted:

...oh Gods drat IT.

I didn't think anyone else knew of this game. We played it a few times in college as a beer-and-pretzels version of Twilight 2000.

You know what isn't on my DM's banned spell list? Living Cloudkill. That's what we ended our last session with - in a forest seeping with chaos magic, surrounded by two Living Lightnings, a Living Color Spray, and a Living Cloudkill...

Sounds like you need a scroll of Transmute Idaho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I have no idea what is going on here