Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

eyes emoji eyes emoji eyes emoji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

third eye being represented by a GOOGLY eye - chefs kiss

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm having a lot of trouble seeing what y'all are going nuts about in the Everything Everywhere All at Once trailer. It looks like Jet Li's The One meets Dr. Strange. Neither of those are a complimentary comparison in my book.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's those movies except it looks good, unlike either of those movies.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

How dare either of you mock the movie with the greatest ending of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws8JocOpkvY

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
With actual far out variances of reality, including the 2d one. How thet stich it all together will make or brake it, also an actually good story will help.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble seeing what y'all are going nuts about in the Everything Everywhere All at Once trailer. It looks like Jet Li's The One meets Dr. Strange. Neither of those are a complimentary comparison in my book.

V:shobon:V it just looks really really fun to me

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fair enough. Maybe the MCU's just burnt me out on multiverses.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble seeing what y'all are going nuts about in the Everything Everywhere All at Once trailer.

It's Michelle Yeoh in a A24 movies, that's all the info I need.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

but there's no Christmas message here.

Counterpoint:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

feedmyleg posted:

well I mean thats the thing right? There are some concepts that are really fun, like multiverses, but most commercially available movies about multiverses are going to be somewhat limited due to their corporate created nature. That doesn't stop the concept from being fun and from people wanting movies about it, so when something comes along that is more creator driven and with a fun cast and the trailer bangs, you're gonna get a lot of hype on it.

who looks at michelle yeoh in what appears to be an authentic "very asian mom" role mixed with the mindbending antics of a multiverse and goes "Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh spiderman already did this!!! boring!!" - you know its gonna have different vibes!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I laughed a lot when they did that "slide your hands in between mine and open it up to see a weird little butthole opening" thing to peer between universes

e: also this has kind of a neat Sense8 take on the multiverse that I think will be cool. And seeing James Hong still popping up in stuff makes me very happy.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 14, 2021

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

edogawa rando posted:

I guess trans acceptance is more of a thing now than it was even as recently as 10 years ago (consider the fact that Arrested Development, a show that is absolutely beloved, had a pretty crass transphobic joke in season 2, aired around 04/05 - you probably know the one), and they can't deal with the fact that they're getting called out for poo poo that they got away with then.

That, and because they're operating under this delusion that trans folk are somehow a privileged lot who live lives of luxury and comfort, apparently, I guess there's an element of believing that they're standing up for the marginalised and vulnerable - while completely oblivious to the irony.

wait what was this joke I cant even remember it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

feedmyleg posted:

Don't worry, DC is getting in on multiverse movie mania as well!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'll watch anything the Swiss Army Mans make

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vegetable posted:

It’s from the guys who did Swiss Army Man which y’all should totally watch if you haven’t.
Ok, now I'm also in

Otherwise I was just politely intrigued

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Superb.

Michelle Yeoh is a treasure.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/KingsmanMovie/status/1470800760749318144

lmao

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol I wonder what Disney paid to license that.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Personally I feel like 'multiverse' in the superhero-style excuse to throw a billion established characters together into a blender, and 'multiverse' in the sense of visiting a vast array of different scenarios, settings, cultures, biomes or what-have-you, aren't even remotely similar concepts. You couldn't pay me to watch anything in the former category, whereas I'll happily consume anything you got of the latter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I bought the Green Knight rpg they made.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lol https://shop.a24films.com/products/toni-pin

edit: lol https://shop.a24films.com/products/charlies-head-mini-puzzle

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

feedmyleg posted:

It’s a movie about a working class immigrant family and a woman with an extremely active fantasy life. Dr. Strange is a movie about a rich dickhead saying catchphrases

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Insurrectionist posted:

Personally I feel like 'multiverse' in the superhero-style excuse to throw a billion established characters together into a blender, and 'multiverse' in the sense of visiting a vast array of different scenarios, settings, cultures, biomes or what-have-you, aren't even remotely similar concepts. You couldn't pay me to watch anything in the former category, whereas I'll happily consume anything you got of the latter.

Yeah

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I enjoy both superhero schlock and interesting creative works of art. It's more fun to enjoy things

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And forget the classic A24 merch item (that sold out pretty instantly from memory) https://shop.a24films.com/products/bear-in-a-cage%e2%84%a2-preorder

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bows1 posted:

wait what was this joke I cant even remember it

This one.

https://arresteddevelopment.fandom.com/wiki/Sh%C3%A9male_shirt

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I enjoy both superhero schlock and interesting creative works of art. It's more fun to enjoy things

My post was less a general dig at superhero stuff and more genuine confusion that the term 'multiverse' is being used to heterogenize both of these concepts, as for me they can't be any more different. I mean fundamentally, the Marvel-style multiverse will always be focused on things you have already seen, because obviously the stories primarily want to bring together big, famous superheroes from different settings. Even stuff like Thanos who may technically be 'new' to the movie-franchise through the multiverse is still a storied comics character. Meanwhile the entire wonder of the concept as used in 'Everything, With Way Too Long A Title To Quote But I Just Made It Longer For This Joke Oops' is that you really don't know where it could go next. I mean a few of those scenes looked like relatively familiar genre-pastiches as is inevitable, but several others were twists or just stuff that I could vaguely recognize aesthetically but have no idea how it would tie into a movie.

Importantly, the way multiverses are used in superhero movies brings with it baggage, you always have to please the fans and every time you visit fuckin Asgard or whatever you have to tie in the Asgard crew and the fans get pissy if they don't have enough screentime, etc, etc. Just simply Not Having That makes the entire thing as a concept like a billion times different to me. There are actually some advantages to the way Marvel uses it even if I don't like them like less risk of alienating the audience due to not having to work with little to no worldbuilding. But that's just more reasons why they're super different.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They actually produced and sold these for Midsomar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNz9nkQYag4

And these for Uncut Gems.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol it looks like there's a scene of her Ratatouille-ing someone.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

My post was less a general dig at superhero stuff and more genuine confusion that the term 'multiverse' is being used to heterogenize both of these concepts, as for me they can't be any more different. I mean fundamentally, the Marvel-style multiverse will always be focused on things you have already seen, because obviously the stories primarily want to bring together big, famous superheroes from different settings. Even stuff like Thanos who may technically be 'new' to the movie-franchise through the multiverse is still a storied comics character. Meanwhile the entire wonder of the concept as used in 'Everything, With Way Too Long A Title To Quote But I Just Made It Longer For This Joke Oops' is that you really don't know where it could go next. I mean a few of those scenes looked like relatively familiar genre-pastiches as is inevitable, but several others were twists or just stuff that I could vaguely recognize aesthetically but have no idea how it would tie into a movie.

Importantly, the way multiverses are used in superhero movies brings with it baggage, you always have to please the fans and every time you visit fuckin Asgard or whatever you have to tie in the Asgard crew and the fans get pissy if they don't have enough screentime, etc, etc. Just simply Not Having That makes the entire thing as a concept like a billion times different to me. There are actually some advantages to the way Marvel uses it even if I don't like them like less risk of alienating the audience due to not having to work with little to no worldbuilding. But that's just more reasons why they're super different.

ah, yes. Fascinating

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

James Hong is still alive?

Also, is that Rocket Raccoon?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah and yeah.

He started doing smaller stuff in between the guardians movies

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I feel like this is the movie that should have been made, Rasputin’s adventures being Russia’s greatest love machine set to Boney-M’s song

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gatts posted:

I feel like this is the movie that should have been made, Rasputin’s adventures being Russia’s greatest love machine set to Boney-M’s song

I would see that movie. I’m not sure about the movie they’re actually making.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m glad Alan Moore is finding ways of keeping busy after quitting comics.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m glad Alan Moore is finding ways of keeping busy after quitting comics.

I know you're joking but the movie Moore wrote and starred in, The Show, is actually pretty good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thrawn527 posted:

I would see that movie. I’m not sure about the movie they’re actually making.

I’m always down to see what kind of crazy poo poo Matthew Vaughn does. Even if it doesn’t work.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It"s fascinating how Rasputin went from being a realigious figure who maybe hosed the tsarina to the Napoleon of crime.