Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Everyone who went into this expansion expecting it to validate their hatred of characters got eternally BTFO and I am very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This expansion (overall spoilers) turned me around on Zenos as a character entirely. I was annoyed when they brought him back from the dead because I thought he was fine in Stormblood but should've stayed dead. But then I loved the fakeout about him being the main expansion villain and his actual role in the story was both entertaining and thematically appropriate. And, in the end, he achieved the most important thing of all: he was fun.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Harrow posted:

This expansion (overall spoilers) turned me around on Zenos as a character entirely. I loved the fakeout about him being the main expansion villain and his actual role in the story was both entertaining and thematically appropriate. And, in the end, he achieved the most important thing of all: he was fun.

Yeah, I didn't have strong opinions on Zenos besides finding him to be boring except for during that one bodyhopping stalker phase post-Stormblood, so EW leaning harder into the bodyhopping stalker really made him more entertaining. Absolutely lost my poo poo when he did all his shenanigans.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Everyone who went into this expansion expecting it to validate their hatred of characters got eternally BTFO and I am very happy.

I don't get why this keeps happening, its a fun anime adventure game stop dragging your personal hangups into it!!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I dunno, with as cool as the 83 solo duty was, it was also extremely horrifying. Maybe just because I am trans and the body you are put in, while fully covered, uses male animations, it made it extremely horrifying and such a violation that I kind of hated that it doesn't faction in how you can treat him later on. Probably the single most disturbing thing that happens to your character in this game, and I hate that it's just forgotten.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hazardousmouse posted:

You were determined to hate EW months before it came out, Cythereal.

EW has had the most powerful emotional (in a good way) moment I've ever gotten from this game.

EW has also had the worst gameplay experience I've ever gotten from this game.

Both occurred in the same quest, no less, and the latter doubly irritated me because it undercut the impact of the former.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

multijoe posted:

I don't get why this keeps happening, its a fun anime adventure game stop dragging your personal hangups into it!!
yeah lol. i can get thinking zenos is a kind of boring character but the searing hatred people have for him is weird. hes your vegeta. if you dont like vegeta whatever but if someone made 5000 posts about how they hope the next arc of dragon ball super finally takes vegeta to task id think they were a weirdo and an idiot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

see also the multiple people who spent all of shb convinced thancred is some kind of weird sexist pick-up artist

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Eimi posted:

I dunno, with as cool as the 83 solo duty was, it was also extremely horrifying. Maybe just because I am trans and the body you are put in, while fully covered, uses male animations, it made it extremely horrifying and such a violation that I kind of hated that it doesn't faction in how you can treat him later on. Probably the single most disturbing thing that happens to your character in this game, and I hate that it's just forgotten.

Whoa, I'm trans too (my av maybe tipped this off) and that angle didn't occur to me, but I'm sure it had some background role in how unnerving and unsettling I found it. That's a good read-- I like the duty but I think it does speak to the respective positions of the writers/scenario designers that that the existential griminess of the situation is less played up than the immediate urgency and desperation of suddenly being that helpless.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Eimi posted:

Well, I think it was more Fandaniel's idea, Zenos doesn't even continue trying to attack using your body when he clearly could. I took it as him being kind of annoyed at the whole thing but going along with it because Fancy Dan was really into it. Part of why he just gives up on trying to make you hate him later on, that was the ultimate way to do it and it still didn't get him what he wanted.

But really, it's just part and parcel with MMO storytelling. The WoL has to be stoic because they can't account for the wide variety of possible reactions, thus all the head nodding and palm punching.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eimi posted:

I’m surprised that it also never comes up again. Like, I was expecting some downtime quest in the main story where you come across a relative of the random grunt you were forced to possess, but you don’t immediately realize it simply because Garlemald’s a war zone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

wouldn't that just be him moving the way he's used to, not some kind of sex/gender thing? like the body is still gonna have muscle memory

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The scene after the 89 dungeon where Asahi got some limelight kinda felt like he got treated with more respect than he deserved imo

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Harrow posted:

Ah, see, I am very stupid myself so that makes it easier to identify with the WoL.

Hey, me too!

My WoL started as a Conjurer/White Mage and because I was stubborn and hyperfixated on the story, I kept on White Maging it up until about... 53-54 in HW despite the field enemies really kicking my rear end. I wound up back in Ul'dah, unlocked Samurai on a whim, and fell in love with actual honest to goodness DPSing. Played SAM and WHM interchangeably up through to the start of Shadowbringers, picked up Black Mage because explosions are cool after beating 5.0, and then ran Endwalker with WHM and BLM rather than WHM and SAM as planned because the changes to Enochian made it actually fun to play again. So I see her as someone with much more innate talent for casting spells and being supportive who had to learn how to get her hands dirty and take out threats before they became a problem, and then it all came back around again with finally 'mastering' Black Mage as of late.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

The scene after the 89 dungeon where Asahi got some limelight kinda felt like he got treated with more respect than he deserved imo

I didn't really see it that way. (EW, 89-90) It's ironic, karmic comeuppance for Amon/Fandaniel, and Asahi is the only villain in the entire expansion portrayed with zero sympathy or even a note of tragedy. You can't even meet him halfway in dialogue like you do with Zenos; your only dialogue options both amount to some form of, "gently caress you too, pal."

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Nah, alphs response pretty much echoed what I expect to be the majority's feelings. "gently caress off and I hope we never see each other again"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It is just a little bit of a shame that (89 dungeon spoilers) in a dungeon full of defeated enemies being punched out a second time, we still don't get to punch Asahi ourselves. Then again, letting him be a boss fight would be more respect than he deserves.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Fucker stole my kill! I aint respecting that either!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Chillgamesh posted:

I thought that moment was rather anticlimactic after what had just come before lol, almost comedic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my lala started as a gladiator/paladin, did heavensward as dragoon, stormblood as samurai, shadowbringers as dark knight, and was reaper in endwalker. so ig shes just extremely literal about her fighting style. 'i need to kill dragons? alright. i got beat up by a guy with a katana? alright. warrior of darkness? alright. everyone is dying? alright.'

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

90 SAM basically feels like they just went down a wishlist and checked everything off. Pretty much all of the jank is gone, and it feels like you have a lot less downtime before something comes off cooldown. Only kind of weird thing is the 90 ability, and that’s mainly because it’s your only other move with a cast time.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought that moment was rather anticlimactic after what had just come before lol, almost comedic

My take on it was: Asahi was an rear end in a top hat, but he was also wronged at least a little in all this. Having him be the one to drag Hermes off to Hell was a nice touch.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dragoon, Samurai, Reaper Viera. Very much a we must kill our foes as hard as possible type guy. Dragoon in particular was me going how would Viera fight in the woods and came up with jumping off trees spears in hand bouncing back and forth at speeds as fast as the rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I started as a pugilist because this was back when you had to multiclass to get your job stone and I knew I wanted to work towards bard. So, I was a bard from late 3.1 to 5.0, when the rotation just started to hurt my hands and I wanted to a job I could play with a more compact button layout. I still really liked the playstyle and aesthetic of ranged physical DPS and dancer just seemed to fit since I see my WoL as kind of a whimsical little weirdo and just spinning and twirling around the battlefield felt right. Honestly I probably spend more time as gunbreaker but canonically I see dancer as my WoL's "vocation."

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My progression went MRD -> PLD -> DRG -> WAR -> SCH in ARR, before I eventually settled into SCH for all of Heavensward, then AST for all of Stormblood, then WHM for all of Shadowbringers, and now SGE for Endwalker. I just like healing. v:shobon:v

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I started playing pretty late in ARR, so I went rogue -> ninja main and have stayed that way ever since (obviously with a detour through pugilist on the way since that was required at the time, but I haven't ever unlocked monk even all these years later), though I'm tempted to switch to reaper. The main barrier is that, while I'm not really any good at playing ninja after all these years, it's the one that feels most natural to play, and secondly I'll probably have to keep it leveled for a retainer anyway. One upside of switching is that I could shift into trying to play better without years of bad habits to overcome at least though. And so far reaper seems like it's probably an easier time? I kinda feel like the last thing I needed was another melee dps, but oh well.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

My story is that I started with the ARR betas, and I was set to be a scholar, but the static I applied for needed caster DPS so I ended up going summoner instead. I'm pretty sure I actually did most of the story as scholar, however. I stayed a summoner throughout ARR raiding and patches, though I swapped to black mage for certain Final Coil fights because gear for summoners sucked in the last tier. Since then I've largely remained a summoner main, though I did Stormblood and Shadowbringers stories as red mage (and raided a bit as red mage at the start of Stormblood before swapping back to summoner), and I did Endwalker story as paladin. Shadowbringers was the first time I leveled every job to max, and for Endwalker I intend to raid on summoner once more, even if the class has completely changed.

One artifact of 2.0 that has survived and is interesting in some minor ways is arcanist, as leveling either summoner or scholar lets you play as either one. I still think that's pretty neat. A few months ago I did a NG+ run where I went through each expansion as that expansion's poster job, starting with ARR as Warrior. I'll probably repeat that sometime now that Endwalker is out, whenever they add it to NG+. I'm looking forward to experiencing it again as one continuous story.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Harrow posted:

This expansion (overall spoilers) turned me around on Zenos as a character entirely. I was annoyed when they brought him back from the dead because I thought he was fine in Stormblood but should've stayed dead. But then I loved the fakeout about him being the main expansion villain and his actual role in the story was both entertaining and thematically appropriate. And, in the end, he achieved the most important thing of all: he was fun.

The Zenos storyline is why I brought up the question of "do you see the WoL as their own character". Because while I liked Zenos, I could never envision my WoL liking him. I also have a habit of filling in interpersonal dialogue to liven up all the head nods. And pretty much every meeting with Zenos starting with the Menagerie had my WoL getting more and more irrate as she basically had the same reaction that all the Zenos detractors had.

So when I came to that dialogue option, all I could think was "Zenos is right, but there's no way she would admit that to him."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I got to the part where Quintus ate his gun.

I need to lay down now...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For me, CNJ->WHM in ARR, then AST in HW and StB. Didn't like ShB's rework of the class, so went back to WHM where I've stayed since.

I think it's part of my disconnect with the narrative. I think of my WoL as a healer first and foremost, someone here to heal and support who fights only as a last resort. Treating the WoL as an adrenaline junkie or someone who enjoys the battles that have consumed their life has not, and never will, sit well with me. I play with the idea of my WoL feeling that it takes far more strength and courage to set down your weapon than it takes to pick that weapon up.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 14, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I started ARR thinking I was going to be a summoner, but ended up a scholar. Swapped to Astrologian in HW while leveling Warrior on the side, stayed that through ShB. Maxed out Scholar and worked on rogue and white mage post-ShB, then swapped to Sage when EW hit. I like thinking of Sage as kind of a synthesis Arcanist/Scholar and Astrologian, since a lot of Arcanist stuff is biologically oriented and Astrologian is way more mystical in nature. The Warrior stuff is obviously just for exercise since all Elezen are contractually obligated to be ripped.

I personally like to imagine he was a Rogue before starting the game though, because Arcanist college is expensive.

SirPhoebos posted:

The Zenos storyline is why I brought up the question of "do you see the WoL as their own character". Because while I liked Zenos, I could never envision my WoL liking him. I also have a habit of filling in interpersonal dialogue to liven up all the head nods. And pretty much every meeting with Zenos starting with the Menagerie had my WoL getting more and more irrate as she basically had the same reaction that all the Zenos detractors had.

So when I came to that dialogue option, all I could think was "Zenos is right, but there's no way she would admit that to him."

I felt similarly, but also I felt that the top option wasn't signifying that you liked Zenos in any real way. If you can't be honest with a soon to be dead man at the ends of the universe, when can you be?

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
My WoL certainly started out that way, in part because healer and in part because I was a huge weenie when it comes to MMOs. Then I actually found I liked doing content, then I bumbled into Samurai, and then I was very much on board with the "somewhat reluctant but genuine adrenaline junkie" interpretation of the WoL.

For as much of ourselves or our own interpretations of the story we can put into our characters, there are a few baseline traits that the Warrior of Light undoubtedly has. Doesn't say much, glad-to-tolerant of doing odd jobs, and at least somewhat excited to throw down when it comes time to throw down are traits that I don't tend to budge on regarding them. The Warrior of Light is my version of a broadly-painted existing character, not my entirely unique character that the game then must accommodate.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

One reason I love the choices for your answer to Zenos is that it's one of the few places in the game that allows a true divergence in interpretation of the WoL's character. For most of the game, this expansion and all previous expansions included, the things the WoL can say always have to fit the hero's role. You can be light hearted, or sentimental, or serious, but you're always the person who saves the day, and inspires everyone else while doing so. In the last scene with Zenos, the day is already saved, and there's no one else around with expectations for how you should behave. This was the one, best, shot at establishing some darker motivations for the WoL, and I'm so glad the writing team was willing to offer an unrepentantly unheroic option for it

my interpretation of my WoL is that she absolutely is a Zenos, just one that figured out that becoming a steward of the weak would have all the most powerful gods and tyrants of the world lining up to fight her

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nodosaur posted:

I got to the part where Quintus ate his gun.

I need to lay down now...

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever been this viscerally affected by the game before. My heart is still beating heavily and it’s hard to breathe.

I think there should have been some kind of warning cuz I am NOT okay after that

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

TGLT posted:

While I haven't done any extreme shield healing yet, I think that's the idea yeah. In boss fights you wanna primarily rely on your various gall heals, like Kerachole, with zoe + E.Diagnosis when it's up or when you need to provide room for the regen effects to work. I've seen some people say Haima + E.Diagnosis shields stack, but I'm not sure about that. It may just be they keep the Haima buff so that'll kick in for you when the first E.Diagnosis shield breaks.

I think E.Diagnosis is better for single hit tankbusters while Haima works better if it's going to be a multi-hit. Same with E.Prognosis and panhaima for raid-wides.

Yes, the various shields stack. We can stack Haima and Panhaima too, doing so saved my bacon once in T2Ex when we went in to a repeated stack aoe with 4 people alive and I managed to come out the other end alive with LB3 available.

Zoe should in 90% of cases be used with Pneuma. Occasionally you'll want it for one of the GCD shields, but it's an exception even on single target. The goal with (Eukrasian) Diagnosis and Prognosis is, like with any GCD heal, to play so you never have to use them except for downtime when the boss is untargetable or between pulls. Don't preshield tankbusters (or anything else) unless the damage is potentially lethal otherwise. Do spam out 3 Eukrasian Diagnoses during downtime so you get Addersting stacks for use during movement.

You can't really compare the oGCD Haimas to your GCD heals. Also even on single hits the Haimas are very good: a 300 potency shield and 600 potency heal is a lot for a not-Benediction oGCD. Likewise a 200 shield and 400 heal Panhaima is still one of the stronger oGCD aoe heals in the game. Always prefer them over resorting to GCD heals unless you're certain that saving them for later will save you from casting two Prognoses or Diagnoses.

In general, for tank damage the main thing to bear in mind is to use Krasis and Physis first in your heal sequence, to put up the +healing done. Then apply Haima or Panhaima, Taurochole or Kerachole, etc in subsequent weave windows. Krasis + Physis II + Haima is something like 2700 potency on the tank over their duration, plus a 30% boost to the tank's self-healing. Sage is generally very bad at quickly getting a tank to full health, but very good at keeping them from dropping quickly in the first place with proper planning. With undergeared tanks or low dps you're still reduced to Eukrasian Diagnosis spam in some cases in which case using Zoe on one of those instead of Pneuma is reasonable; so it goes. Generally don't use Zoe for the pure pre-shield uses of Diagnosis when running between pack.

For raid damage, Kerachole is almost always going to be your first choice. The breakpoint where the 10% reduction is worth more than a tick of the hot is at a little over 20k damage, far as I can tell. That's on about the scale of most raidwides so if everyone is at full health you get about the same value out of using it before the raidwide as you do after and don't have to sweat the timing (ideally, of course, you'd not have everyone at full health). If you're combining Kerachole with Physis then prefer using Physis + Kerachole after the raidwide for the potency boost. If you need instant healing, prefer Zoe + Pneuma, then Ixochole, then Eukrasian Prognosis if you absolutely must.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever been this viscerally affected by the game before. My heart is still beating heavily and it’s hard to breathe.

I think there should have been some kind of warning cuz I am NOT okay after that

At some point I want to double check the cinematics for that room. And see if the pistol had been there the whole time.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I went SCH > SCH > SCH > SCH > SMN, because I like books.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

Yes, the various shields stack. We can stack Haima and Panhaima too, doing so saved my bacon once in T2Ex when we went in to a repeated stack aoe with 4 people alive and I managed to come out the other end alive with LB3 available.

Okay that's good to know. I had been doing it, but since I didn't sit down and test it myself I didn't want to say for sure that's how it worked. I also forgot that yeah Pneuma is a high amount of AoE healing that is probably a better candidate for Zoe.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I have no idea what to level next. My summoner is i575 so that’s maxed out. Maybe a healer that isn’t scholar like WHM or maybe a melee dps...hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Theoretically, if I used Zoe on Eukrasian Diagnosis (which I know is probably not a great idea most of the time anyway), I would be kind of screwing myself by giving myself a bigger shield to break for an Addersting charge, right?