Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is a real good Elite Dangerous stick

Got told that today too. FIgured some of you nerds would like a cheapy to get going on. Seemed to great of a deal to not pass along here.

The Walrus posted:

aw thanks. I will get back into Soundboxing, despite my last post. Ebola likes to poo poo on it but for what it is and what it delivers in terms of a workout it's still the best despite a more barebones presentation. If you wanna challenge that Ebola, play one or two of my 15-30 minute maps and tell me it wasn't the best workout you've had in VR. I guess maybe let's say SteamVR as Supernatural does look pretty good at emulating what I try and do in a map (lots of squats, needing to use the full area around you without needing to take steps)

I poo poo on the game because its ugly, old, and hasn't had any QOL updates in forever. Theres multiple other games out there that dot punch just as good and if your maps were shoved into a few of those, they'd be better all around.

Soundboxing was my first music game. I really liked it. But relying on YOU alone to map is bonkers to recommend a game to someone. And heads up, you are the only person worth a poo poo mapping for that game since Ruu stopped playing.

Your maps are not going to "work me out more" than powerbeats does in the same time. Powerbeats on middle difficulty, with any song I want is about 1000 squats an hour + lots of core work. Its not a matter of taking a challenge, in fact I've done 90 min solid of the challenge crap in boxvr. Its more "do I really want to spend more than 5 min in this ugly game when theres multiple other cardio based VR games that do the same thing?"

Its awesome you still love the game. But its dead to me and should be to anyone else as well. If it ends up free to play great. Until then, its too much money for a game that hasn't had an update in almost 3 years. So please don't take this as a poo poo post against you or something, but lets be realistic here. The games dated af.

With that said, Yeah if you have this game, Walrus maps are "the" maps anymore.

The Walrus posted:

No, I do a lot, despite being in decent shape and it's made me stop working out with VR pretty much. I don't want my electronics to die and while Quest controllers are easier to replace than Vive I had to replace SO many of those stupid expensive things due to sweat damage.

The day 'water resistance' is a selling point on one of these things is a day I will mash the purchase button. Frankly I think it's irresponsible and lovely to the consumer to make so much of the marketing about fitness while you can so easily kill your controllers or headset. Everybody sweats and once you're actually doing a proper workout everyone sweats a lot, I'm not sure why it doesn't get talked about as an issue more.

I've been hella lucky (still powering up and tracking) with my vive wands with sweat but god drat do they let water in easy. Yeah mine all mostly "work" still but touchpads are all pretty jank from it. They've all turned into pistol whip or beat saber controllers at this point.

My index controllers shockingly have been fine with sweat, same with all my oculus ones.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I sweat more than anyone I know IRL and I've never had issues with my controllers or any Oculus headsets for that matter due to sweat. As a reference, here's the back of an Elite headstrap after an average-ly sweaty session:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
HTC deluxe audio strap is on sale now, too. Both from Amazon as well as direct from HTC.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

I poo poo on the game because its ugly, old, and hasn't had any QOL updates in forever. Theres multiple other games out there that dot punch just as good and if your maps were shoved into a few of those, they'd be better all around.

bro its ten bucks and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of great beatmaps for it. Sure it's kind of dead but the content is still there and the creator is still paying a ton to host the way-too-large mapping files.

Who cares if it's ugly? It's perfectly serviceable. It's orbs flying at you. The game you recommend as an alternative on Steam, Powerbeats, has automatically generated maps for your own music. That sucks compared to a human-generated one, you know it does, so why even recommend it as an alternative?

I don't care if you play the game and its certainly not about getting recognition or plays for my maps, I haven't booted the game in months - my challenge was just hoping to head you off well-actuallying the recommendation of people who enjoy the game every time it comes up.

edit: I guess for 15 when there's newer games for 20 is a harder sell but still, like I said the game is expensive to host so I don't begrudge the dev. Definitely turn off the fireworks in the options though, I forgot watching the Steam video those even exist. Really ugly.

Lemming posted:

I sweat more than anyone I know IRL and I've never had issues with my controllers or any Oculus headsets for that matter due to sweat. As a reference, here's the back of an Elite headstrap after an average-ly sweaty session:

Ok, good to know. I'm not exaggerating when I say I can wring out my shirt after a 30 min soundboxing session. I guess the lower cost of the quest will make it less painful if it does break and no support can be worse than HTC's. so I guess I'm back on the soundboxing train.

LLSix lemme know if there's any songs you want me to do I need some motivation to get back in

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 14, 2021

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

edit: I guess for 15 when there's newer games for 20 is a harder sell but still, like I said the game is expensive to host so I don't begrudge the dev. Definitely turn off the fireworks in the options though, I forgot watching the Steam video those even exist. Really ugly.

This is exactly why I don't recommend paying money for it. The dev has abandoned it entirely, and the community is sadly dead. Yes theres existing maps, but they mostly play like garbage (outside of a handful of peoples maps anyways and GL searching stuff you wanna play and have a good map of it) if you've played any of the other dot punchers. Even boombox is a better game and I hate that drat game.

I know powerbeats auto gen isn't better than hand mapped stuff man. But its entirely serviceable and BETTER than the average random map in soundboxing. Its also going to be a better workout if thats the goal, over the random map on soundboxing. In fact, my biggest complaint with that game was in general there was a handful of people who made good maps and that was about it. Lets take Synth Riders. It has a map editor, it has better built in maps by default, and its a dot puncher. Why spend 15 on soundboxing when that exists? Audio Trip, While not my thing, similar deal. And both of those games are actively updated and SR has a pretty thriving community for "stuff".

And thats just dot puncher style games. Audica is a better music game in general, and fitness wise, I sweat/burn as many calories as I do with most games outside of powerbeats (and thats simple because it forces so many god drat squats).

On sale, 5 bucks. Buy soundboxing. For sure. Any more than that is a waste of cash imo. To be 100% clear, I LIKED soundboxing a lot. One of my first "Gifs" that got made when I was streaming was me wildly wacking dots in that game for a "GET HYPE" emote. But its a really really hard sell in 2021-2022.

Beat Saber side note.

The playlist manager thingy works again but god drat is it slow downloading a full playlist.

Also one of timbos new maps is rad as hell. https://beatsaver.com/maps/1b26a

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 14, 2021

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014

GutBomb posted:

The maximum resolution probably isn’t laggy because of wireless bandwidth, it’s likely because you’re asking your computer to generate a much higher resolution set of images and the video card is not able to do it. Maximum is very overkill. With my q2 on a 3080 and 9900k I was doing 1.2x to 1.4x at 90hz both on a cable and through airlink. Anything higher than that was too much for my video card.

Oh, I just assumed a 3090 would be able to handle the max settings. Any suggestions on what I should try it at? 5800x with 3090.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

pineapple3k posted:

Oh, I just assumed a 3090 would be able to handle the max settings. Any suggestions on what I should try it at? 5800x with 3090.

Well, it will depend on the game, right? It isn't the same moving HL Alyx than Superhot VR.

When you said you put it 'to the max', you refer to the Oculus resolution setting? That means 5408x2736 pixels, instead of the default of 3616x1920 (from here).

3616x1920 =6942720 pixels
5408x2736 =14796288 pixels

That's a bit more than twice the gpu power required than default.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm on a 5600X and a 3060 and I'm running my Quest at max res and 120hz, and everything seems smooth and clear to me. A 3080 should absolutely not be struggling. If it appears to be struggling over AirLink then in the leftmost menu in Link (where you exit back out to the Quest) you can set the bitrate for AirLink to either dynamic or fixed; try setting it to fixed, crank it as low as it will go, then experiment with bumping the bitrate until it's consistently sharp and steady.

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014
Yea, that's what I mean max, 120 hz and 5408 x 2736. I was getting bad lag or choppyness playing beat saber through the airlink. I also set the bitrate thing to 200 in the headset (honestly no idea what it did, just pumped it up), so I'll try bringing that down again and testing it out again.

Also I know my pc should be wired to my router for the best results, but I am going to see if I can get something useable before running ethernet all the way to my pc.

pineapple3k fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 14, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, do not pump up the bitrate as high as it will go. Go as low as possible, bump it until the quality doesn't seem to be getting any better, and leave it there. I think mine is on 25mbps, but unfortunately the wired network for my PC is an old-rear end 100mbps connection and wired through the walls of the house, so I don't have a lot of options to change it. You might well be able to go higher than that but it also might not be necessary.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm on a 5600X and a 3060 and I'm running my Quest at max res and 120hz, and everything seems smooth and clear to me.

Look , no offense, but the 'to me' is pretty important part of your post. Because unless your 3060 is powered up by fairy dust, there is no way it's going to do 120 fps at that resolution for lots of games out there. Not for most. How much power it has it's more on the objective, quantifiable side than anything else.

What I'm getting at is, surely is doing 60 fps and retroprojecting to 120 fps.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh, probably, but I can't tell the difference frankly.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think mine is on 25mbps, but unfortunately the wired network for my PC is an old-rear end 100mbps connection and wired through the walls of the house, so I don't have a lot of options to change it.

Even Pentium 4 motherboards had gigabit networking.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, tell me about it. 😕 I think I'm going to do a bit of DIY and upgrade it, it'll take an afternoon to run the new cables and fix them to the wall but won't cost much, so gently caress it, I've got plenty of time off coming.

The current cables are CAT5, not even CAT5e, to give you an idea of how old they are.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
On a 3080 I run at max res 90hz over airlink plenty fine. The only games that end up reprojecting are modded flat screen games for the most part.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, do not pump up the bitrate as high as it will go. Go as low as possible, bump it until the quality doesn't seem to be getting any better, and leave it there. I think mine is on 25mbps, but unfortunately the wired network for my PC is an old-rear end 100mbps connection and wired through the walls of the house, so I don't have a lot of options to change it. You might well be able to go higher than that but it also might not be necessary.

Out of curiosity - why? I just understood it to be effectively identical to "bandwidth" but admittedly I don't know a ton about the nitty-gritty or anything, so I just set mine to 200 and it works fine for me (3600 and 3080 here).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

George RR Fartin posted:

Out of curiosity - why? I just understood it to be effectively identical to "bandwidth" but admittedly I don't know a ton about the nitty-gritty or anything, so I just set mine to 200 and it works fine for me (3600 and 3080 here).

The higher the bitrate, the higher the latency for compression/decompression. That said, "bump it until the quality doesn't seem to be getting any better, and leave it there." means reaching 100-150 mpbs, not 25 mbps.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Finally upgraded to a new computer with an 3080ti and a 5950x after getting frustrated with my old computer stuttering in VR all the time. Is the Index still considered a top/very good VR system?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Finally upgraded to a new computer with an 3080ti and a 5950x after getting frustrated with my old computer stuttering in VR all the time. Is the Index still considered a top/very good VR system?

Frankly I don't even know how you were running it on a 3dfx card to begin with

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone played Bean Stalker?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1704080/Bean_Stalker/
It's on sale right now.

The idea seems good to me, although I don't know about the implementation (the combat seems very clunky for example)

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Reminder that Quest Day starts in about a half hour. Idk what it is and I don't think i know what 6dof is, but I'm here for it!

edit: I think maybe it's the mustache guy from the page?

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 14, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/969477673/arpara-worlds-first-5k-micro-oled-all-in-one-vr-headset

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Reminder that Quest Day starts in about a half hour. Idk what it is and I don't think i know what 6dof is, but I'm here for it!

edit: I think maybe it's the mustache guy from the page?

He is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"6dof" is VR nerd talk for "6 degrees of freedom" which means translation is tracked in addition to rotation. The Oculus Go was a 3dof headset (rotation only) whereas Vive, Quest, Index, etc are all 6dof headsets. Just for anyone who doesn't know.

Why they decided to name a marketing character 6dof, you'll have to ask Zuckerberg.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Ok that's what I thought, it was some kind of tracking ability, although I forgot the acronym

Anyway I guess my partner got a thing that shoots pet treats out and notifies you on quest? Wtf lol. Maybe I should have waited to try something cooler. Well the cats might like it

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Is there a good place to get the KIWI straps that is not Amazon? I'd like to get one for my nephew for Christmas, but gently caress Amazon.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Brocktoon posted:

Is there a good place to get the KIWI straps that is not Amazon? I'd like to get one for my nephew for Christmas, but gently caress Amazon.

Yup, everything should be on their site.

https://www.kiwidesign.shop/products/q1-pro-2-pro-version-knuckle-grip-cover-for-oculus-quest-2-touch-controller

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, tell me about it. 😕 I think I'm going to do a bit of DIY and upgrade it, it'll take an afternoon to run the new cables and fix them to the wall but won't cost much, so gently caress it, I've got plenty of time off coming.

Just get one of the recommended tp-link routers and put it between current cable and pc. You will get proper speed from pc to router and dedicated wifi to quest

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Just checking back in to update everyone on the fact that Valve actually sent me a free replacement Index headset and I actually have it now and that's loving crazy and they are really good guys.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some help with RE4, as I am a new player .

There is this boss which is basically an alien clone, sent by Salazar to kill you (his right hand, Leon makes a dad joke about it).
Did I waste half my ammo trying to kill it? It seemed to me I had to freeze it with the no2 and then shoot it for extra damage, but in the end he still doesn't die and the elevator comes and you finish the chapter.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

There is this boss which is basically an alien clone, sent by Salazar to kill you (his right hand, Leon makes a dad joke about it).
Did I waste half my ammo trying to kill it? It seemed to me I had to freeze it with the no2 and then shoot it for extra damage, but in the end he still doesn't die and the elevator comes and you finish the chapter.

At least you didn't waste all your ammo trying to kill it

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Turin Turambar posted:

Ammo drops based on need. So fire away.

You can screw yourself in sections with limited drops, but I hadn't really had an issue.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

If you save your shots for when it's frozen, it is possible to kill it, even on hard mode, the first time through the game.

I think when I went through on normal NG+ it took 5-6 RPGs to kill him still, without freezing him at all. But it is hilarious, once he dies everything unlocks/finishes right away.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I finally secured a 5ghz wifi router. how the hell do I set this up for VR with the quest 2 lol

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Well poo poo...

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/1470899190339457027?s=20

And yes, already gone of course.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

drat

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

god drat it, i just missed it by 4 hours

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
#QuestDay was almost a masterclass in how not to do online marketing events. They did well enough building interest, but the end result was drops of fake products followed by real swag drops. Things appeared about every half-hour or so with a countdown. Items like socks with grippy Oculus Os on the bottom to help you not slip while playing. You had to click on what was set up like a retail website checkout.

And that's where they lost a bunch of people I think. Because gamers have spent the last year fighting website issues, cart verification problems, or scalpers. Only to see the dreaded "Out of Stock" message after time spent refreshing. And that's exactly what happened here. On top of it, their social feeds had several people posting excitedly about how they had gotten all of the drops, rubbing salt into fresh wounds.

I'd rather have, I don't know, a day where Oculus celebrates and highlights developers big and small. Let them show off things in development to get people excited about what's to come to the headset they've bought. All this event did was make a small number of people happy and remind everyone else of larger issues plaguing the gaming industry.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Companies shouldn't give limited free stuff because statistically only 0.1% of the fans will get some and 99.9% will not and will be unhappy is a take that feels both weird and dumb but also perfectly logical, because it takes in account the entitled nature of fans.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
They should have done a lottery with something simple like hit like to enter. It's frustrating seeing you already missed your shot