Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/03/22/homepod-mini-has-hidden-unused-temperature-sensor

The HomePod Mini has an undocumented temperature / humidity sensor located near the power cord entrance.

Don't bother looking for it, you'd only see it if you disassembled the Mini..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The Homepod is dead, long live the homepod!

quote:

In a report today focused on an unactivated temperature/humidity sensor in the HomePod mini, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman briefly mentioned that Apple has "been developing new speakers with screens and cameras."

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Sony just released their wannabe OG HomePod. MSRP is $700. They have a cheaper version for $300.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/wireless-speakers/srs-ra5000

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Looks like a pair of boobs at the top.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm sure that sounds great but man, that looks loving ugly.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Looks like a pair of boobs at the top.
I thought it was one of those mannequin torsos at first.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Is there a recommended way to transfer audio back and forth between a homepod and my phone to keep them in sync?

It seems almost haphazardly to keep track of where in a file something is. Just this morning, for example, I was listening to a podcast on my phone but wanted to transfer it over to the homepod but when I did it started from time zero. I opened the now playing screen and used the airplay menu to change devices from 'headphones' to 'kitchen' (the homepod).

I think sometimes it does manage to maintain position which makes this all the more frustrating.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When I take a call and I’m at home, I like to use speaker phone. Pressing the button on my phone to put it on speaker instead opens a menu with the option to switch to speaker or HomePod. This creates an extra step when I just want to use speaker phone. I never want to route my call audio through my HomePod. Is this something that can be disabled?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

LuckyCat posted:

When I take a call and I’m at home, I like to use speaker phone. Pressing the button on my phone to put it on speaker instead opens a menu with the option to switch to speaker or HomePod. This creates an extra step when I just want to use speaker phone. I never want to route my call audio through my HomePod. Is this something that can be disabled?

Maybe disabling WiFi? But no distinct setting I'm aware of.

That button is no longer the "speaker" button, it's the "AirPlay to this device w/ mic capability" button.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren:

HomePod software version 14.7 just came out, manage timers directly from the Home app, performance and stability improvements.

Also, ever see what happens when your HomePod Mini updates? You get to see a swirly light slowly rotating at the top, it's almost hypnotic...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How do these update? I see my minis at 14.6, and don't want them restarting or making noise at midnight or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

IUG posted:

How do these update? I see my minis at 14.6, and don't want them restarting or making noise at midnight or something.

Home app. It should check when you open it, or maybe hold to open a homepod in there. Sometimes it’ll automatically say it at the top of your house page and you hit the update button.

I assume it’ll do it automatically at some point in the next 6 months if you don’t manually trigger it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You can also go in the Home Settings in the Home app itself. There’s a Software Update button/menu in there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any updates to keep siri quiet after hours yet? I’ve stopped using the nightstand homepod to trigger the good night automation because she practically yells “OK IM ON IT!!”

Just use my phone after plugging it in.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

Any updates to keep siri quiet after hours yet? I’ve stopped using the nightstand homepod to trigger the good night automation because she practically yells “OK IM ON IT!!”

Just use my phone after plugging it in.
Not sure if it will help/actually work right, but saw this in the HomePod update notes today:

quote:

- Siri automatically adjusts its speaking level based on the room environment and volume of the user

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

japtor posted:

Not sure if it will help/actually work right, but saw this in the HomePod update notes today:

Awesome! Updating them now.

E: alas, still pretty loud in a totally quiet room at 10pm

priznat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 21, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I haven’t updated yet but is annoying that when a timer is going off and you say “hey Siri stop the timer” she will like 90% of the time say “the timer is canceled” and the rest of the time she just turns it off like how it should be.

Saying the timer is canceled after it’s already finished and going off is a bit weird.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

MarcusSA posted:

I haven’t updated yet but is annoying that when a timer is going off and you say “hey Siri stop the timer” she will like 90% of the time say “the timer is canceled” and the rest of the time she just turns it off like how it should be.

Saying the timer is canceled after it’s already finished and going off is a bit weird.

It’s maddening. I also get totally different behaviour from a mini downstairs vs an OG HomePod upstairs.

One shouts when I ask the time (late at night, in bed). The other doesn’t.

One can play a sports radio station with a simple command, the other fails and says “something went wrong” on the same command.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I now can’t get Siri to do many things without ‘you’ll need to complete that on your personal device.’
Extra frustrating when I have family sharing on and a kid with a child apple account and so it won’t even recognize their voice. It’s like so close to being awesome but nope.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I turned on iCloud Private Relay on on my home wifi to see what it was about then forgot to turn it off, and my Homepod couldn't fine my phone. Which makes sense. So don't do that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I turned on iCloud Private Relay on on my home wifi to see what it was about then forgot to turn it off, and my Homepod couldn't fine my phone. Which makes sense. So don't do that.

My phone hands off audio just fine if I have private relay on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My phone hands off audio just fine if I have private relay on.
Sorry, I meant doing things like adding reminders via the HomePod. Kept telling me it's not on the same wifi.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I'm trying to figure out a good way for my kids to listen to music in their rooms using a music service. If they used Apple Music as part of our family setup, will that work well with the Homepod Minis in terms of being able to have their playlists, history, etc linked to them from a Homepod mini in their room?

They currently have Echos, but apparently no one on the Amazon Music team has children because there's no goddamn way for them keep things like playlists, history, etc between a tablet and a smart speaker using Amazon Music.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm trying to figure out a good way for my kids to listen to music in their rooms using a music service. If they used Apple Music as part of our family setup, will that work well with the Homepod Minis in terms of being able to have their playlists, history, etc linked to them from a Homepod mini in their room?

They currently have Echos, but apparently no one on the Amazon Music team has children because there's no goddamn way for them keep things like playlists, history, etc between a tablet and a smart speaker using Amazon Music.

It’ll keep a history.

I’d say though that HomePod minis sound barely better than a laptop speaker and aren’t worth bothering with for music. Just get Bluetooth speakers or something with airplay support and let them play from a tablet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

wooger posted:

It’ll keep a history.

I’d say though that HomePod minis sound barely better than a laptop speaker and aren’t worth bothering with for music. Just get Bluetooth speakers or something with airplay support and let them play from a tablet.

My minis sound significantly better than any Bluetooth speaker I have ever used. For kids I wouldn’t hesitate at all. Plus they can easily transfer the audio.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I wouldn’t agree with them sounding like a laptop speaker at all. They aren’t going to sound like a Sonos speaker, but they are significantly better than a laptop. My kids all have one for music and they like it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kri kri posted:

My minis sound significantly better than any Bluetooth speaker I have ever used. For kids I wouldn’t hesitate at all. Plus they can easily transfer the audio.

You’ve apparently never used a Bluetooth speaker since 2008 or something.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

wooger posted:

You’ve apparently never used a Bluetooth speaker since 2008 or something.

I mean I've used a few, and any decent speaker that sounds as good is going to be around the price point of a Mini anyways (cheaper certainly, but not by much).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is the Siri functionality of HomePods limited to an Apple Music subscription, or can it interact with shared iTunes libraries (like an Apple TV does with the “Computers” app) or local music on a phone? If it’s the former, can I at least select it as an AirPlay target and then use Siri for playback controls?

Another Siri question… does a HomePod open up voice control of HomeKit devices to anyone in the house? This would be great for my cat-sitting in-laws; right now they have to text me to lower the lights (Philips Hue) and that seems kinda silly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, anyone can control your lights and stuff.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Minidust posted:

Is the Siri functionality of HomePods limited to an Apple Music subscription, or can it interact with shared iTunes libraries (like an Apple TV does with the “Computers” app) or local music on a phone? If it’s the former, can I at least select it as an AirPlay target and then use Siri for playback controls?

Another Siri question… does a HomePod open up voice control of HomeKit devices to anyone in the house? This would be great for my cat-sitting in-laws; right now they have to text me to lower the lights (Philips Hue) and that seems kinda silly.

Yes, Apple Music subscription only.

Siri can control the lights of course, though you should certainly get some hue switches.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

wooger posted:

Yes, Apple Music subscription only.

Sort of, I think. I don't have a current Apple Music subscription and I can play songs I've bought from the iTunes Store on my HomePod by telling it to play that song. Songs that are in my music library but from other sources won't work, Siri just says something like "I don't see that in your Apple Music library."

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I think itunes match would let you get non-store stuff available on your homepod.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: HomePod 15.2 software has been released! :siren:

You have to update to iOS 15.2 to update your HomePod though.

Not sure i like the updates.

Now, when I ask Siri "Hey, Siri, what's the weather for today?"

Old Behavior: "It's currently 52 degrees and sunny, Temperaturea are heading down from 52 degrees to 40 later tonight"

New Behavior: "Weather for where?"

"Here!!"

"Weather for where?"

"Badgerville, New York!!"

"It's currently 52 degrees and sunny in Badgerville, NY. **rest as usual**

If the place you pick is too podunk to have a listing, Siri picks the closest large city.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is incredibly stupid. The fuckin things don’t move so asking about the weather should give the current location unless you specifically ask.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I swear Apple seems to be working hard to make Siri dumber.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
While complaining, the make an announcement command is very mercurial. With the same clear verbiage I get "I can't help you" 50-70% of the time and the other 30 she does it. Are there different verbs?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If you ask Siri if the Revolution will be televised, she gives you the schedule for some bumfuck semi-pro team instead of quoting the lyrics now. :(

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I’ll be happy if I can get Siri to stop shouting at me when I set lighting scenes.

One HomePod in the bedroom: THE SCENE IS SET when I turn off all the lights to go to sleep.

One HomePod mini in the kitchen I can set any scenes I want and it never speaks back to me. Where the gently caress is this setting?

Is it related to the scene name or the fact that it turns out all the lights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It doesn't speak to you if you're in a room that is effected by the scene you just set. I have "goodnight" which turns off all the lights in the house. This doesn't effect my bedroom, so Siri gives me spoken confirmation that the scene is set. If I'm in the kitchen when I tell it to set that scene, it does it silently.