Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Bring back the original axetinguisher, no random crits on miniguns, bring back the original baby face blaster.

Those are the changes I would make. Everything else is pretty sweet. Sniper makes you think about your map positioning and potential verticality. I like not being able to blithely run around with my head exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I swear every time I look back at this game I learn a new horrible change to a weapon. When did the flying guillotine stop critting stunned players!?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bluff Buster posted:

I swear every time I look back at this game I learn a new horrible change to a weapon. When did the flying guillotine stop critting stunned players!?

That happened ages ago at the same time they gutted the Sandman, that weapon is now a pointless joke but the Flying Guillotine is still pretty good and pairs well with most of Scout's primaries and melee weapons, indeed pairing it with the Shortstop and the Wrap Assassin into a surprisingly strong mid range harrasser

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah the bazaar bargain has been basically an upgrade in oubs for years. If i hadnt gotten a strange sniper rifle i would have used it near exclusively since they removed the missed shot penalty, and even then i still used it a lot.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ArfJason posted:

Yeah the bazaar bargain has been basically an upgrade in oubs for years. If i hadnt gotten a strange sniper rifle i would have used it near exclusively since they removed the missed shot penalty, and even then i still used it a lot.

Yeah that's a mystifying change to my mind. Getting two headshot kills without dying is not particularly difficult, and after that it's simply an improved rifle.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
hot take: designing around mitigating the impact of bad behavior is entirely within the purview tf2's original design ethos and if 2007 valve was designing around the existence of ubiquitous aimbots that they were unwilling or unable to stop then yes the sniper's mechanics would be different

that said, it's still more of a mapping issue than anything else.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
quickscopes are the most impressive and coolest looking kills in all of tf2, i do not at all understand the impulse to limit them and i have like under five hour of sniper ever, lol.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

hot take: designing around mitigating the impact of bad behavior is entirely within the purview tf2's original design ethos and if 2007 valve was designing around the existence of ubiquitous aimbots that they were unwilling or unable to stop then yes the sniper's mechanics would be different

that said, it's still more of a mapping issue than anything else.

The solution is, of course, to undo Free 2 Play.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

the bazaar bargain could stand a nerf

Most of the people who use the bargain are really good at quick scopes and if they've been using it long enough almost do nothing but quickscope, you could remove charge from that gun completely and I doubt most of them would even notice

Kaal posted:

Yeah that's a mystifying change to my mind. Getting two headshot kills without dying is not particularly difficult, and after that it's simply an improved rifle.

In Ye Olden Dayes it would reset the meter if you missed while scoped, and no one used it

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Grapplejack posted:

Most of the people who use the bargain are really good at quick scopes and if they've been using it long enough almost do nothing but quickscope, you could remove charge from that gun completely and I doubt most of them would even notice

In Ye Olden Dayes it would reset the meter if you missed while scoped, and no one used it

In Ye Olden Dayes it still had plenty of people using it, just not in Sixes. I used it plenty before I picked up a Strange Sniper Rifle, and that was before any of the many buffs it's received over the years.

That being said, it's been quite a while since I played regularly. I'm sure things have changed quite a bit.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 14, 2021

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Sniper main here, just kill me lol. Easy counter

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

once you get like, 3 or 4 headshots with it you start being able to pretty much quick scope heavies with it, which is not okay

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Sniper now costs $0.10 per life.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VideoGames posted:

Bring back the original axetinguisher, no random crits on miniguns, bring back the original baby face blaster.

Those are the changes I would make. Everything else is pretty sweet. Sniper makes you think about your map positioning and potential verticality. I like not being able to blithely run around with my head exposed.

a lot of the nerfs made in the latter years of tf2 were heavy handed and seem like they were made by cs:go devs who don't understand fun-having. I do kinda accept the "trying to bring the casual experience more into line with comp / reduce the need for ban lists in comp", but it feels like a lot of the funny creative counters people came up with to various tactics don't happen as much anymore. I'm sure it's just rose-tinted glasses but if you asked me I'd go back to like... 2012? 2014 rules? Something like that.

yes, I want my scunt fucker 9000 back, and take the vaccinator away

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
keep vaccinator, but lock it to bullet shield

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Buff Sniper

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

In my opinion Pyro should be the other melee class
i already said they should give the 3rd degree the pompsons uber drain ability,

All pyros melees should have some sprt of debuff making pyro a utility melee instead of the DPS melee that demo is.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hihohe posted:

In my opinion Pyro should be the other melee class
i already said they should give the 3rd degree the pompsons uber drain ability,

All pyros melees should have some sprt of debuff making pyro a utility melee instead of the DPS melee that demo is.

I'll stick back 80% further than normal with my Dragon's Fury, thank you.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If we're talking balance changes for the Pyro, I think a good easy one would be allowing the Thermal Thruster to be equipped in either the primary or secondary slot as it would probably have better synergy with his flare guns than it does with most of his flamethrowers

On a similar note allow Heavy to equip shotguns in his primary slot, so that Fat Scout can be a viable play style(also make the Family Business a multi-class gun, there's literally no reason for it to be Heavy only)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

drrockso20 posted:

If we're talking balance changes for the Pyro, I think a good easy one would be allowing the Thermal Thruster to be equipped in either the primary or secondary slot as it would probably have better synergy with his flare guns than it does with most of his flamethrowers

Thermal Thruster + Backburner has plenty of synergy. In fact, it's the ONLY way to play backburner pyro, as far as I'm concerned. (Detonator can work on some maps, I guess.) Thermal Thruster + Flamethrower also has some synergy, but only really on upward 3rd defense. I'm not really sure what you'd get if you had a pyro who could only use a flare gun and his melee. Like, a gimped axtinguisher build with no airblast?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Thermal Thruster + Backburner has plenty of synergy. In fact, it's the ONLY way to play backburner pyro, as far as I'm concerned. (Detonator can work on some maps, I guess.) Thermal Thruster + Flamethrower also has some synergy, but only really on upward 3rd defense. I'm not really sure what you'd get if you had a pyro who could only use a flare gun and his melee. Like, a gimped axtinguisher build with no airblast?

Admittedly I was mostly thinking with Scorch Shot spam

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

drrockso20 posted:

Admittedly I was mostly thinking with Scorch Shot spam

Give pyro a melee slot parachute and primary slot jetpack so he can lazily fly through the air spamming the scorch shot at the entire team.

But seriously gently caress the scorch shot. I've taken to running the manmelter with the Dragon's Fury most of the time because of people spamming the scorch shot. I hang back, store up a billion crits, and plug everyone with 150 damage shots across the map until the enemy pyro realizes that maybe they should use a different secondary.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

give back the degreaser's global weapon switch speed but make its afterburn penalty apply to flare guns
make the axtinguisher crit again but make the damage scale off of remaining afterburn damage instead of duration so the degreaser combo isn't quite as strong
remove minicrits from the scorch shot
make the reserve shooter actually work again, the new version of airblast doesn't actually make it easy to land those and even if it did it still wouldn't be as good as the panic attack is right now

bring back the insane detonator jumps from the beta

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah if the Scorch Shot did have to get a nerf I'd rather it be through it losing Mini-Crits than say removing it's knockback ability like some people suggest, as that's what makes the weapon fun and interesting to use when compared to other flare guns

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Now I kinda want to go onto a casual server and convince everyone to run Scorch Shot Only pyro. Imagine how horrible that would be.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played Bread Race (the payload map with the bread monster at the end) last night and it was great fun. It reminds me of how much I miss rd_asteroid though. That was a great fun map and I wish it still existed.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

australium soldier and permanently attached medic lover DESTROYED by one backburner pyro w/jetpack

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

australium soldier and permanently attached medic lover DESTROYED by one backburner pyro w/jetpack

Backburner pyro is always wonderful to play because it's basically "Map Knowledge - The Game". Turn on fun hit sounds and listen to it rain.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

VideoGames posted:

I played Bread Race (the payload map with the bread monster at the end) last night and it was great fun. It reminds me of how much I miss rd_asteroid though. That was a great fun map and I wish it still existed.

There really was a time between TF2's peak and TF2's current decline where they just got really weird and experimental, huh? Mann vs. Machine, Mannpower mode, rd_asteroid, probably a ton of stuff I'm missing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

What I would give for a finished version of Asteroid to be added to the game, heck there's a pretty good fan made version on the workshop so Valve wouldn't even have to do any real work themselges

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Kaal posted:

Backburner pyro is always wonderful to play because it's basically "Map Knowledge - The Game". Turn on fun hit sounds and listen to it rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDATrWhmlQQ

and as an added bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKtavOB_d5Q

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Everything I could have ever wanted and more.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
Who wants to make a comp team? I'm down for 6s or highlander. I used to play ESEA open with some cool goons and we also got Steel Highlander 2nd place with a variation of that team. PM or post here!!!

A For Effort fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 18, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

A For Effort posted:

Who wants to make a comp team? I'm down for 6s or highlander. I used to play ESEA open with some cool goons and we also got Steel Highlander 2nd place with a variation of that team. PM or post here!!!

i'm willing to join as long as i don't have to put in effort or be good or download the esea client

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

A For Effort posted:

How do you feel about Prolander as a format?

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth

cock hero flux posted:

i'm willing to join as long as i don't have to put in effort or be good or download the esea client

I think ESEA is dead. The new league is RLG but I have not played in it yet. I'd want to do occasional practices but nothing super intense.

drrockso20 posted:

How do you feel about Prolander as a format?

This was created during the 5 years I stopped playing but I would love to try it. Would be easier to get 7 goons than 9.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ESEA was the league that put bitcoin miners in their match client right?

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth

Reiley posted:

Yeah lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Reiley posted:

Now all the big developers are talking about how play to earn is the next big thing. They’re trailblazers!