Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He could use his idol possibly to control a tribal vote to save someone or mess up someone's plans maybe but yeah I don't think he's a big win threat anyway. Still hoping the idol is used to create a little chaos but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't much like Ricard but I'm definitely now in "you all deserve to lose to Ricard" mode.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Just finished Australian: Champs vs Contenders 2, and the final two was almost exactly like Chris/Twila from Vanuatu. One person just gave no reasons to vote for them and the other gave an amazing argument.

And I’m happy to learn who some of these folks in all-stars is

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Capsaicin posted:

Just finished Australian: Champs vs Contenders 2, and the final two was almost exactly like Chris/Twila from Vanuatu. One person just gave no reasons to vote for them and the other gave an amazing argument.

And I’m happy to learn who some of these folks in all-stars is

To be perfectly fair, you looked at the F3 and who won immunity and go 'ah okay, so who do you choose to die to at FTC?'.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

I don't think Xander has a high chance of backing into a win in this particular season. He does have the nice moment he blocked an idol steal but otherwise he's been mostly a non-entity. He could beat Heather but I don't know who else, so I think they're probably right to mostly ignore him and his idol.

I actually think Xander has the biggest resume this season. S41 has been such a lame-duck that Survivors haven't had much room to maneuver, it's hard to hand out any accolades. Xander is the last member of Yase and was on the bottom the entire time, couldn't even vote for a while there. He's been an important swing vote and has won important immunity challenges. There was also that time he gave up immunity participation so the tribe could have rice. He isn't even old enough to drink in the US.

I'm not Xander's #1 fan, just saying that he has done a lot more than ppl give him credit for. What has Erika done besides time-travel? Heather and Deshawn are the 2 people everyone should want to sit next to. Ricard has a few things under his belt like important immunity win and critical vote, other than that I think he just went along with Shan's game. I don't really give him credit for blindsiding Shan since she brought all that on herself.

Zzz

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I don't much like Ricard but I'm definitely now in "you all deserve to lose to Ricard" mode.

https://twitter.com/truedorktimes/s...oQY8ELRwJQoARxk

According to this tweet, "Ricard has four wins and two third-place finishes across six individual challenges, for an 86.7% mean % finish. That's the fourth-best total in a season for people with 5 or more challenges played (1. Tasha, S28 - 88%, 2. Ozzy, S13 - 87.8%, 3. Mike Holloway, 87.7%)."

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I once heard someone say that in their experience the jury really thinks about the winner as a reflection of their season. There is no world where this jury is voting for the mediocre young white guy to win, even though he seems very nice and pleasant otherwise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This season is weird because it doesn't feel like anyone's really getting themselves out of fixes so much as everyone else is just choosing to let them live. Xander's idol/advantage play stands out because it was one of those rare moments someone fought back instead of just taking the path of least resistance. And not just for Xander. Its also one of the last times someone tried to make a big move and take out a big target.

So Ricard's just got all the momentum because he not only made the big move but is actually actively saving himself with immunities. Everyone else feels passive. Thats not entirely fair but its how it feels.

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

Popero posted:

I once heard someone say that in their experience the jury really thinks about the winner as a reflection of their season. There is no world where this jury is voting for the mediocre young white guy to win, even though he seems very nice and pleasant otherwise.

Mediocre wouldn't be the adjective I'd use for Xander, he seems seriously impressive for a 21 year old in my opinion.

I'd like him to win, but I get the feeling that against Ricard and Deshawn, he'd get wiped out.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think Ricard has the strongest case to win, followed by Xander then Erika then Deshaun then Heather. But there are two more immunity challenges... so who knows.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I really can't tell if Deshawn has reached goat status or if he's a bigger threat to win than Xander or Erika.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think Ricard has the best resume but is also the most likely to be overly condescending to the jury

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
See, I'm calling it Rope-a-goat because I think he's going to get dragged to the finals and then kill it once he gets there.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Rick posted:

See, I'm calling it Rope-a-goat because I think he's going to get dragged to the finals and then kill it once he gets there.

So what Coach or Philip would have done if they'd admitted their persona was a gimmick in order to deceive everyone and get dragged to the finals only for the master reveal.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Remember in recent votes, Shan was concerned about Erika and thought she was dangerous, but then Erika was immune, Heather was saved, and they voted out Naseer. Meanwhile, the same night, Xander got blindsided and Evvie went home. They came back together and after a whole lot of moving pieces, Shan again wanted to target Erika. Nobody cared about Xander. Ricard made the big move, and it was Erika who got her hand in to split the votes onto Liana so she’d still be safe in case of an idol. The next vote, Xander plays his extra vote to protect the biggest threat Ricard as a shield, even though nobody cares about Xander, and now Ricard is one challenge win away from fire.

And this is after Xander spent the entire premerge clueless that he was going home if they lost a challenge, then upon finding out spurned original tribemate Tiffany to such an extent she hates him now. Along the way he also voted in the minority for Deshawn and Naseer.

He seems a lot more impressive on the TV show than he probably really is because he’s gone deep into the game and has a lot of TV friendly moments, like winning immunities and not playing idols and the whole thing with Liana.

There’s still game left to play, and Erika’s game isn’t exactly overwhelming, and Deshawn has had some fairly ridiculous moments (the Heather tribal, this past one), so Xander might have some room to work with if Ricard gets taken out, but I do think he’s an underdog that needs to do something like beat Ricard at fire to raise his respect level.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

IcePhoenix posted:

I wish they had managed to show that conversation. I want to say that if they were really so tight they could have trusted each other to go with it but honestly when you're that close to the end the paranoia that the other guy is gonna do it so you also have to has got to be off the charts.

I was also wondering about the three way tie and that explanation is kind of lame by Danny. They should have showed the conversation.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I dunno it's the exact case of the prisoners dilemma, which has already been heavily featured for them this season so I can understand the fear or agreeing to that and just getting axed by your partner.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

It's not exactly prisoners dilemma though, because a bad actor can face serious consequences for their betrayal: losing their partners vote at final tribal and having them tell their story to other voters at the Ponderosa.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Fast Luck posted:

Remember in recent votes, Shan was concerned about Erika and thought she was dangerous, but then Erika was immune, Heather was saved, and they voted out Naseer. Meanwhile, the same night, Xander got blindsided and Evvie went home. They came back together and after a whole lot of moving pieces, Shan again wanted to target Erika. Nobody cared about Xander. Ricard made the big move, and it was Erika who got her hand in to split the votes onto Liana so she’d still be safe in case of an idol. The next vote, Xander plays his extra vote to protect the biggest threat Ricard as a shield, even though nobody cares about Xander, and now Ricard is one challenge win away from fire.

And this is after Xander spent the entire premerge clueless that he was going home if they lost a challenge, then upon finding out spurned original tribemate Tiffany to such an extent she hates him now. Along the way he also voted in the minority for Deshawn and Naseer.

He seems a lot more impressive on the TV show than he probably really is because he’s gone deep into the game and has a lot of TV friendly moments, like winning immunities and not playing idols and the whole thing with Liana.

There’s still game left to play, and Erika’s game isn’t exactly overwhelming, and Deshawn has had some fairly ridiculous moments (the Heather tribal, this past one), so Xander might have some room to work with if Ricard gets taken out, but I do think he’s an underdog that needs to do something like beat Ricard at fire to raise his respect level.

Outside of Ricard I don't really see how anyone else has played a significantly better game than Xander. That Evvie vote is kind of a hard sell to call it a blindside since it was Liana, Deshawn, and Danny on the other side who were all tight at that point.

I don't think he's played an amazing game or anything but I don't really see Erika or Deshawn doing all that much to set them apart. Deshawn is getting all the blame for that alliance blowing up and no strategic credit. He kind of just rolled over on this last vote and let his last ally get taken out after having a meltdown prevote. Erika has partial credit for the Shan vote split but really not much else. Erika also wanted to keep Ricard as a shield in that vote.

I do think stepping up to face Ricard in fire is a game winning move for any of them if it comes to that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sand Monster posted:

So what Coach or Philip would have done if they'd admitted their persona was a gimmick in order to deceive everyone and get dragged to the finals only for the master reveal.

Yeah although I'm not even sure if he has to say it's a persona. Just citing all the very real stress he has been under is something at least this jury could possibly understand.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Very excited for... Helen? to win Survivor 41. And hell, 42 too!

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

woah woah woah, how did I not know Russell played a 4th time on Aus Survivor?

Omg and of course he finds an idol on day 1 after looking for 5 minutes. Anyways, I finished Season 4 and it was pretty good. The Australians definitely seem to have a better grasp on the game and the challenges in Season 4 were all great, 90% of them were completely original (compared to what I've seen watching US Survivor). Lots of great players, great personalities, and big hearts. Very refreshing, US Survivor could stand to learn from the down under crew.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AU does some things really well, but they're also let down in other aspects by editing, forced non-elimination episodes and twists. Of course, US Survivor hasn't had the best track record with twists lately, so...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stolen from reddit regarding stats about each remaining player if they win

quote:

Ricard - he will be the 3rd LGBTQ winner after Richard Hatch and Todd Herzog. He’ll also be the second flight attendant winner, also after Todd (by any chance, is Ricard Mormon?). In addition, Ricard would be the first disabled winner, but regardless of finish he is the highest placing disabled person in this game’s history.

Erika - she will be the first non-American to win. However, she’d be the second Canadian citizen to win, as Todd held dual citizenship when he won (though he had to renounce his Canadian citizenship in order to claim the million). She would also be the third Asian winner after Yul Kwon and Natalie Anderson, as well as the first of Filipino and Southeast Asian descent.

Deshawn - He will be the fifth black person and fourth black man to win, and would continue a pattern of black men winning every 5 seasons (Jeremy in 31, Wendell in 36). In addition, he would be the second med student to win after Sophie Clarke and third postgraduate student to win after both Sophie and John Cochran.

Xander - he will be the youngest to ever win at the age of 20 years 9 months on day of FTC. This will surpass Jud “Fabio” Birza for the distinction, as he was 21 years 1 month on day of FTC. He will also be the third college student to win after Fabio and Jenna Morasca.

Heather - she will be the oldest female winner and the second person in their 50’s to become Sole Survivor after Bob Crowley. She would also be the second winner from South Carolina after Chris Underwood.

just thought it was neat and wanted to share

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat, how hard is it to get canadian citizenship after you renounce it for a million bucks? IIRC he basically blew the money on a bender and was in worse shape after than before winning, and can't return to canada!? bummer.

I wonder how survivor winners fare compared to lotto winners. I guess lotto wins are a lot bigger and you don't "earn" them in anyway so maybe not the most comparable, just thinking about how that windfall of cash often spells doom in one form or the other for the receiver.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Well let's go through every winner and see how they did after their time on Survivor.

We'll start with Richard Hat- oh god.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Adam Klein blew a ton of his cash on a weekend in Vegas for the cast, which I think is pretty neat.

I don't think you can compare it to the lotto because Survivor money isn't lotto money. It's enough to buy a house and make life easier for a while, but it doesn't come with the pitfalls of eight figures.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

yeah a million dollars (or 500k after OBAMA :argh: is done with it) isn't really life changing money anymore. Life stabilizing for sure and definitely sets you up to have a much easier life going forward but it's not really quit your job money imo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Enough to pay off my student loans and buy a house and become one of those filthy owners of things, but yeah million bucks far from what it was even when I was a kid. Which cracks me up when there are shows out there offering sub million prizes, sometimes for longer commitments than survivor.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Khanstant posted:

Which cracks me up when there are shows out there offering sub million prizes, sometimes for longer commitments than survivor.

It makes me sad that people are willing to suffer more for, for less money.

500k these days is life changing not because it enables you to buy a mansion or quit your job, but because it might just allow you do something that we'd regard as so basic and automatic, like own a house, or pay off student loans.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

yeah a million dollars (or 500k after OBAMA :argh: is done with it) isn't really life changing money anymore. Life stabilizing for sure and definitely sets you up to have a much easier life going forward but it's not really quit your job money imo.

500k isn't quit your job money, but it's actually have a retirement instead of grinding away paycheck to paycheck forever money

Still drat good

Actually taking home a mil would still be quit your job money, though

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Does Survivor have the same contestant-to-influencer pipeline that Bachelor/ette has nowadays? That's where the *real* quit-your-job money comes from, imo

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Does Survivor have the same contestant-to-influencer pipeline that Bachelor/ette has nowadays? That's where the *real* quit-your-job money comes from, imo

Probably not to the same extent, but a lot of former contestants are constantly participating in Survivor related events. I think generally the kind of people that are influenced by influencers aren't aware that Survivor is still a thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think if you're young and hot the door is at least open, but Survivor has more diverse casts and a different kind of obsessed audience. So you gotta kind of make it happen.

And then there's Big Brother...

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

ninjahedgehog posted:

You come to a fork in the road: The Challenge or OnlyFans.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Shneak posted:

You come to a fork in the road: The Challenge or OnlyFans.

That's true. Michael Yerger from Ghost Island has had a lot of success on Only Fans. Ozzy has dipped into Only Fans at first too, he recently did a video with two guys.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

When you say Ozzy did an OnlyFans video with 2 guys....? I mean, what?.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 14, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Seems pretty self explainatory to me.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Another Bill posted:

When you say Ozzy did an OnlyFans video with 2 guys....? I mean, what?.

Yeah, there are photos and clips available on twitter, I haven't seen it, I heard he charged like $30 for the video. Apparently the video is just them showering naked together, it's not clear if they did anything sexual beyond that.

I think basically that a lot of male performers on onlyfans have realized that their market generally isn't straight women, it's gay men. So a lot of straight onlyfans performers will tailor their videos to the gay community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm not trying to judge, just genuinely surprised. :kiddo: