Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
As long as it’s being done at a Kia-certified/endorsed repair facility then I wouldn’t expect any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

President Beep posted:

As long as it’s being done at a Kia-certified/endorsed repair facility then I wouldn’t expect any issues.

yep

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

President Beep posted:

Good. Took it to the dealer's recommended shop.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

FINALLY and the prices are good!

https://insideevs.com/news/553922/2022-hyundai-ioniq5-pricing-revealed/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's interesting manufacturers have matte paints more and more now.. What's the downside on a matte paint? Is it tougher to keep looking good?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Wow, those prices ARE good!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

7 trims lmao why not. Hyundai please come to Ohio.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

priznat posted:

It's interesting manufacturers have matte paints more and more now.. What's the downside on a matte paint? Is it tougher to keep looking good?

I ve been reading that it’s super easy to screw up the matte paint by washing it wrong. It looks great but I’m lazy so I’ll avoid it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Wow, those prices ARE good!

VOLUME!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

VOLUME!

Oh, crap, I was supposed to wait for you to ask how they do it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

I ve been reading that it’s super easy to screw up the matte paint by washing it wrong. It looks great but I’m lazy so I’ll avoid it.

Yeah I was worried if I would gently caress it up if I got lazy and just took it through a carwash or something. The Ioniq 5 colours are so BORING though :sigh:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

7 trims lmao why not. Hyundai please come to Ohio.

Yeah that’s where I’m at. I’d love this or an EV6.

By the way, the more and more I read about vision only on new Model 3s has me really rethinking my order. Granted I have at least a month until it’s estimated delivery, but still. I don’t plan on using FSD at all, but having an unreliable adaptive cruise and literally nonexistent dumb cruise is kind of a big turn off.

Edit: Plus I can’t go back to gas because owning an EV has spoiled me. Otherwise I’d just like buy an Accord or K5 or whatever

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I don’t foresee ever having an ICE vehicle again. Maaaaybe a plug in hybrid, but likely not.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

By the way, the more and more I read about vision only on new Model 3s has me really rethinking my order. Granted I have at least a month until it’s estimated delivery, but still. I don’t plan on using FSD at all, but having an unreliable adaptive cruise and literally nonexistent dumb cruise is kind of a big turn off.

Edit: Plus I can’t go back to gas because owning an EV has spoiled me. Otherwise I’d just like buy an Accord or K5 or whatever

The ACC on the Mach-E is pretty good. Even the hands-free BlueCruise stuff was pretty solid on the drive to Seattle and back that we did, though I mostly kept my hands on the wheel anyway just to be safe.

If you don’t already have a deposit on the Hyundai it will probably be really tough to get one any time soon.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

priznat posted:

Yeah I was worried if I would gently caress it up if I got lazy and just took it through a carwash or something. The Ioniq 5 colours are so BORING though :sigh:

You aren't kidding. The ionic 5 colors are awful although I need to see the teal in person because everyone says it's amazing. Sucks to have such a good looking car but such awful colors to choose from.

Kia has all their colors for the EV6 on their US website now and I like both of the blues, and the red a lot. Wish they had some other bright colors though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The ACC on the Mach-E is pretty good. Even the hands-free BlueCruise stuff was pretty solid on the drive to Seattle and back that we did, though I mostly kept my hands on the wheel anyway just to be safe.

If you don’t already have a deposit on the Hyundai it will probably be really tough to get one any time soon.

I don’t think I could when I looked a while back. Not offered in Ohio I think

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The 77.4 kwh RWD version is a great deal. 300+ mile range and really fast charging.

About the same base price as my Kia Niro EV.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

The 77.4 kwh RWD version is a great deal. 300+ mile range and really fast charging.

About the same base price as my Kia Niro EV.

Yeah, Americans get cars cheap for some reason, I love it. No I don't want to know why we pay less for cars but I bet it's bad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

You aren't kidding. The ionic 5 colors are awful although I need to see the teal in person because everyone says it's amazing. Sucks to have such a good looking car but such awful colors to choose from.

Kia has all their colors for the EV6 on their US website now and I like both of the blues, and the red a lot. Wish they had some other bright colors though.

Yeah the red is what I'd get on that Kia for sure, it is annoying they haven't put it on the .ca website at all other than the interest page and a blurb about how online presales are over. I tried to get onto the site out of curiosity when they opened it up for that but the site kept crashing and by the time I got on it was over, dammit.

I'm just hoping by the time orders start coming up there are people backing out of their preorders so there are a few available to choose from.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So I have a new, and honestly highly specific question, not even really expecting anyone to know the answer but:

My wife recently got a 2022 Hyundai Tucson PHEV. It came with its own trickle charger, but it is different than the one that came with my 2020 Ioniq PHEV. Different in the sense that it's seemingly half as powerful. When I use my charger on her car, the display says it's charging at 1.3 kW and will take 11 hours. When I use the one that came with her car, it says it's charging at 0.6 kW and will take 23 hours. I tested this out on my Ioniq. With my charger, it would take 7 hours to charge to full. With hers, 14 hours. This is with the same exact outlet being used, to be clear.

I have no idea why they would include a weaker charger for a SUV with a bigger batter than my little hatchback. But the odd thing is that her charger has a small digital readout, and when you press a button on it, it says "06". Does this imply that it can charge at higher rates, but is "choosing" not to? I will eventually dig through the manual to see if that clears anything up (just don't have time tonight) and she's going to call the dealership, but it having been established that dealers are often full of poo poo, I just wanted to see if there's any Goon Wisdom about this hyper specific oddity.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I still have my reservation from way back on the Ioniq and I live in CT so I think I might be able to get one.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

GunnerJ posted:

So I have a new, and honestly highly specific question, not even really expecting anyone to know the answer but:

My wife recently got a 2022 Hyundai Tucson PHEV. It came with its own trickle charger, but it is different than the one that came with my 2020 Ioniq PHEV. Different in the sense that it's seemingly half as powerful. When I use my charger on her car, the display says it's charging at 1.3 kW and will take 11 hours. When I use the one that came with her car, it says it's charging at 0.6 kW and will take 23 hours. I tested this out on my Ioniq. With my charger, it would take 7 hours to charge to full. With hers, 14 hours. This is with the same exact outlet being used, to be clear.

I have no idea why they would include a weaker charger for a SUV with a bigger batter than my little hatchback. But the odd thing is that her charger has a small digital readout, and when you press a button on it, it says "06". Does this imply that it can charge at higher rates, but is "choosing" not to? I will eventually dig through the manual to see if that clears anything up (just don't have time tonight) and she's going to call the dealership, but it having been established that dealers are often full of poo poo, I just wanted to see if there's any Goon Wisdom about this hyper specific oddity.

I would say RTFM but I'll be nice and do it for you since I have a couple minutes and can google a PDF as good as anyone else.
The charging speed of your mobile connector is configurable and can be set to 6A, 8A, 10A or 12A. Yours is currently set to 6A. To change the setting, press and hold the button for more than 2 seconds. Once the desired charging speed has been reached, hold the button again for more than 1 second to save it.

quote:

How to Set the Charge Level of the Portable Charger
1. Check the rated current of the electric outlet prior to connecting the plug to the outlet.
2. Connect the plug to a household electric outlet.
3. Check the display window on the control box.
4. In ready or charging state where the Fault indicator does not blink, press the button (1) on the control box for more than 2 seconds to adjust the charge level. (Refer to charging cable type and example for setting the charge level.)
5. The display window on the control box changes From 6A and 8A and 10A to 12A every time you press the button (1).
6. When the charge level you want is displayed in the display window, press the button (1) on the control box for more than 1 second to apply the desired charge level. If you do not press the button within 10 seconds, it will return to the previously set charge level.
7. When setting the charge level is complete, start charging according to the trickle charge procedure.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 14, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

priznat posted:

Yeah the red is what I'd get on that Kia for sure, it is annoying they haven't put it on the .ca website at all other than the interest page and a blurb about how online presales are over. I tried to get onto the site out of curiosity when they opened it up for that but the site kept crashing and by the time I got on it was over, dammit.

I'm just hoping by the time orders start coming up there are people backing out of their preorders so there are a few available to choose from.

I don't know how it is in Canada, but have you checked with some of the local Kia dealerships about it?

My parents reserved a EV6 first edition, but they only did it a few weeks ago on a whim when they were out looking at options to replace their 21 year old Acura daily driver, as the local KIA dealership itself reserved 3 of the EV6 first editions when they originally made it available. They didn't of course get to reserve a specific color (someone already took the neat matte silver one the dealership reserved, so they had to go with the dark blue), and didn't get to select the "bonus" item choices because the dealership just went with the home charger for all 3 they reserved, but there were still 2 cars available when they went in and could still be one available right now for all I know.

Worth a phone call to your local dealerships to look into it at least?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know how it is in Canada, but have you checked with some of the local Kia dealerships about it?

My parents reserved a EV6 first edition, but they only did it a few weeks ago on a whim when they were out looking at options to replace their 21 year old Acura daily driver, as the local KIA dealership itself reserved 3 of the EV6 first editions when they originally made it available. They didn't of course get to reserve a specific color (someone already took the neat matte silver one the dealership reserved, so they had to go with the dark blue), and didn't get to select the "bonus" item choices because the dealership just went with the home charger for all 3 they reserved, but there were still 2 cars available when they went in and could still be one available right now for all I know.

Worth a phone call to your local dealerships to look into it at least?

Yeah I think you can do that I’m just not one to preorder without test driving and an agonizingly slow process of shopping and comparing features etc. My usual car buying process takes anywhere from 6 months to a year, lol. I haven’t even really started in earnest because my existing car is still fine. Getting the dealership in the loop would just be wasting their time, potentially.

I just want them to put the full build and price up online especially for the GT! Hoping there is more info on the EV9 too as that would be a potentially even better option with kids and dogs and whatnot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Ionic 5 colors look better in the flesh, IMO. It's like the Polestar 2, the greys look more like cool bare metal than a boring coat of paint. Don't think I've seen a teal yet.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

priznat posted:

Well the absolute biggest drawback is that you cańt paint correct it with polishing like glossy paints. This means that even minor swirls and scratches are there for the duration. The only time I’d choose matte finish is wrapping it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

It needs a heater control unit which is back ordered so I am now in a base model Macan loaner, which is objectively a decent car but feels like a huge downgrade.

It's now all fixed up and looking very shiny. Good service from the dealer as you should probably expect.

So much nicer to drive than the Macan, just in a totally different league

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

For what it's worth in the 4 months I've had my Y I really haven't experienced any major issues with ACC that couldn't be explained by the horrible construction that is happening where I live. Just like anything else though you're only going to hear about the worst experiences, no one wants to hear about the hour long drive I took using ACC without any issues.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ola posted:

The Ionic 5 colors look better in the flesh, IMO. It's like the Polestar 2, the greys look more like cool bare metal than a boring coat of paint. Don't think I've seen a teal yet.

For some reason Hyundai has gone with the plain white or plain black for all but one of the Ioniq 5 demos they've bought over. Looks okay in white but black really doesn't suit it.

The exception is a light gold one which I'm going to go and look at this weekend.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 6, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I get my R1T on Friday!!!!

do a tank turn!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Congrats, you bastard.

Now where are the pictures?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Are you going to tell us what color, at least?

I'm assuming you're going to have the entire thing plated in gold to try and spend down some of your massive capital gains for 2021. But white gold or gold gold?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does anybody know if I can transfer the Ioniq 5 "reservation" to somebody else? It's barely a reservation, just the opportunity for the conceriege to put you in contact with a dealer. No markup prevention either. :rolleyes: I don't see any restrictions in the legalese. I was gonna just cancel but I know how many people want the car.

Also please give me an R1T or R1S 🥺

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

do a tank turn!

Sadly, it's disabled in software for now. :smith:

cruft posted:

Are you going to tell us what color, at least?

I'm assuming you're going to have the entire thing plated in gold to try and spend down some of your massive capital gains for 2021. But white gold or gold gold?

Launch green with the black interior and the off-road package. I can't exercise my options for another 4 months and it's killllllinnnngggg me. I don't plan to take much out, just 20k for all of my outstanding debt (minus the truck.)

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Congrats, you bastard.

Now where are the pictures?

You'll get your pictures when I get mah truk.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Thank you for telling us the color of your ne...

DoomTrainPhD posted:

You'll get your pictures when I get mah truk.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH :argh:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I don't plan to take much out, just 20k

:homebrew:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Sadly, it's disabled in software for now. :smith:

booooooooooooooo!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

mattfl posted:

For what it's worth in the 4 months I've had my Y I really haven't experienced any major issues with ACC that couldn't be explained by the horrible construction that is happening where I live. Just like anything else though you're only going to hear about the worst experiences, no one wants to hear about the hour long drive I took using ACC without any issues.

That’s a good point. I get the one review of the Y that the AP performance dragged the entire thing down to “not recommended” and seeing people on the TMC forums lodging complaints to NHTSA has me spooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cruft posted:

Thank you for telling us the color of your ne...

NOT GOOD ENOUGH :argh:

That's all I got! :argh: