Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zoux posted:

I finally started Slay the Spire after being put off by its Newgrounds graphics and art design and it's really good! What a surprise! What else is out there in the deckbuilder genre.

Monster Train is fantastic and is better than StS imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ive heard STS and Hollow Knight criticized for looking like Newgrounds and did people actually play Newgrounds games

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gently caress yeah I did.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Volte posted:

It's not a bad game but the vehicle sections really drag on, most of the physics stuff is very tech-demo-like, and the level design is lacking compared to HL1. I get that they wanted to lean more into real-world open spaces and convey a sense of distance, and I guess they did, but as a result it feels like there's only three or so actual tightly designed levels (Ravenholm, Nova Prospekt, Citadel) connected by very long travel sequences. Whenever I play it, I find myself looking forward to getting through the current area more often than not, whereas in HL1 I am just enjoying the moment most of the time.

I will say, even I think the boat levels drag on for just a bit too long (and obviously if it gives you motion sickness that loving sucks). I vaguely recall the car levels having some minor jank, but otherwise being enjoyable, though. And as a point of contrast, I remember being really underwhelmed by the driving sequences in the episodes.

Kind of the same thing with the physics stuff. In HL2 it's a bit quaint and frivolous at times, but then by the time you get to Episode 2's "biggest physics puzzle ever" and it's literally the same see-saw puzzle from the first minutes of HL2 just scaled up...c'mon.

Tbh, I guess one of the things that confuses me is the idea that HL1 didn't have the same or similar problems. There are some really dogshit levels in HL1 and parts that really drag (and I'm a weirdo that never saw the problem with On A Rail). The games do have a slightly different pace and feel, so if one or the other isn't to taste then hey, but even then I feel like they're more similar than different.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have no idea where else to ask this but does anyone have any idea why the Windows 11 capture stuff might not be working for me? Everything's enabled in the gamebar settings and I've rebooted and resynced the app and all that poo poo but the buttons are all greyed out and the hotkeys do nothing. Every article I find about this problem is some AI generated list referencing the same community articles that are no longer relevant.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ive heard STS and Hollow Knight criticized for looking like Newgrounds and did people actually play Newgrounds games

Hollow Knight absolutely follows the Newgrounds aesthetic. Edward Gorey-esque, edgy, chunky cartoon characters are the Flash game ideal.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad- there are good looking Newgrounds games- but it is on the continuum with “I made you a cookie but I ated it” core.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
maybe it depends when you play it because I mainly think of goanimate-quality sprites and lots of gradient fills. and explosion effects which are just expanding ovals

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hollow Knight started out as a Newgrounds game

that said, I understand the distinction. You associate Newgrounds with tweened animation and Hollow Knight has traditionally animated drawn spritework. And generally when people say "Newgrounds art" they are saying it in a derogatory way

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
really that aesthetic is more "deviantart" than "newgrounds" to me, but I mainly played Newgrounds Shockwave games in like 2002 or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

really that aesthetic is more "deviantart" than "newgrounds" to me, but I mainly played Newgrounds Shockwave games in like 2002 or something.

Yeah these are the newgrounds games I remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvkKeTrq7JA

Fuckin Pico's School, what a disaster. Ate that poo poo up as an edgy teen though.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

I am really in the mood for a good isometric RPG, preferably with turn based combat so I don't have to act quickly. Single character is prefered to a whole party. Replaying Fallout 2 without having a clue about it would be a dream come true.

I didn't finish it, but Encased is very heavily Fallout inspired.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

zoux posted:

Fuckin Pico's School, what a disaster. Ate that poo poo up as an edgy teen though.

my favorite were always the escape room games. i still like escape room games though idk who makes them now that Zero Escape is done

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

zoux posted:

God drat that looks even worse than I remember. But also same.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my favorite were always the escape room games. i still like escape room games though idk who makes them now that Zero Escape is done

Being in the Steam Thread I will throw out a recommendation for Escape Simulator if you haven't tried it yet. I think it was on sale earlier this week to celebrate some new content or something as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:allears:

Rune Factory 4 is really, really good y'all. On par with Stardew Valley and better in some respects, even.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dear Steam-thread,

I am really in the mood for a good isometric RPG, preferably with turn based combat so I don't have to act quickly. Single character is prefered to a whole party. Replaying Fallout 2 without having a clue about it would be a dream come true.

Is there such a thing on Steam? Trying to find things on it is pretty impossible.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

Yours truly,
Kuule

Check out Encased, feels a lot like Fallout 2 while drawing from Stalker/Roadside Picnic.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dear Steam-thread,

Is there such a thing on Steam? Trying to find things on it is pretty impossible.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

Yours truly,
Kuule

Divinity original sin 2

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

One thing I would have really loved to have seen from HL3 would be a robust squad control/strategic command system, either as part of the combat or as a meta-game layer. It would be really cool to see the game gradually expand in scale and scope mechanically in the same way that it does narratively.

Rainbow Six Vegas handles small squad control well while also being a decent shooter. It’s low-key really good despite ditching the sim aspects of the older games.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

explosivo posted:

I have no idea where else to ask this but does anyone have any idea why the Windows 11 capture stuff might not be working for me? Everything's enabled in the gamebar settings and I've rebooted and resynced the app and all that poo poo but the buttons are all greyed out and the hotkeys do nothing. Every article I find about this problem is some AI generated list referencing the same community articles that are no longer relevant.

I don't think anyone really used the Windows 10 version to begin with and given the very low Windows 11 upgrade rates I'm not expecting there to be a ton of support resources out there. Do you have an Nvidia card? The built-in capture support in the GeForce Experience app is fine for most quick and dirty purposes and should require basically no setup. I assume there's an AMD equivalent too.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, Vegas and Vegas 2 kicked rear end.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

goferchan posted:

I don't think anyone really used the Windows 10 version to begin with and given the very low Windows 11 upgrade rates I'm not expecting there to be a ton of support resources out there. Do you have an Nvidia card? The built-in capture support in the GeForce Experience app is fine for most quick and dirty purposes and should require basically no setup. I assume there's an AMD equivalent too.

Oh poo poo I forgot nvidia has their own thing, I should just use that. Thanks!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Divinity original sin 2

Yeah there's a Lone Wolf perk available at character creation that gives you big bonuses for not having a party (or slightly less big bonuses for only running with 2 characters) and not only is it viable, it's like the preferred way to play for highest difficulty min-maxing. I will say though that I usually don't like party management in that kind of game and I didn't mind running with a full stack in Original Sin 2--the 4 member limit and the turn structure keep it from ever feeling too fiddly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feels Villeneuve posted:

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/643636

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This actually gets better past that, frankly embarrassing, opening?

The voice acting alone is incredibly bad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thru the first? area of Hyper Light Drifter, the northern path. beat the boss and did the thing with the platform, found like 4 little pillar things with diamonds in, went back to town. idk how i feel about it so far

the art's nice, the music's very evocative, and the gameplay's fun enough - haven't bought any upgrades yet, decision paralysis rules the day once again

but i don't have a single loving clue what's going on, who anyone is, or why i'm fighting & murdering my way along, and i'm starting to get aggravated by that

(e) also that dark room with the instant death sliding walls was particularly enraging, i nearly alt-f4'd and uninstalled right there. is there gonna be more of that, because if there is i'm stopping now before i poison the well further

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Deakul posted:

This actually gets better past that, frankly embarrassing, opening?

The voice acting alone is incredibly bad.

I played the whole game and would say no, it doesn't get better. It's full of jank, buggy as hell, and aside from a few fun set pieces feels dates and unfun.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Echoing Encased. It’s the only fallout-like I play that really nails it right and have its own innovative systems and inspiration.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Room series is some of the best. Escape Simulator is solid too, and has a lot of community-made rooms.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wasteland 3 has one good joke (the Gippers) and the rest is like Big Bang level meme humor. I tuned out after the Mexican stereotype clowns. The combat is pretty good though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl251UhCrks

Windjammers 2 to be released on January 20. Welcome to the jam!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Dotemu released some shoddy arcade game ports 6+ years ago and never fixed them, thus I will hate them forever :colbert:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Inscryption is getting an endless mode:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1092790/view/3141821139285428848

It's in beta rn but it'll be a small expansion later on with new cards, items, etc.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Wasn't someone talking about Deedlit coming to game pass. Maybe thinking of something else.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1470756040828493824

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

ZearothK posted:

I am going to disagree with this one, Half-Life's campaign is still one of all time greats.

I agree, half-life owns, just saying that if you sat someone down in tyool 2021 that's never played it wouldn't seem anywhere near as cool or groundbreaking to them as it did to us in '99, and similarly Halo isn't ever gonna pop with someone now like it did at your first LAN party in '01. So basically saying yeah I get why people don't understand why Halo was huge. It's hard to explain in the context of what existed in 2001 and how much better it was than anything else at the time because of all of its innovations are just standard now, and have been for decades.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I thought WL3 combat was alright which was an improvement over WL2's bad combat. The environments are a huge improvement over WL2.

I enjoyed maybe a dozen hours with it while I was game pass subscribed but then felt like I'd seen enough and never went back. The humor is pretty bad except the Ronnie bit and the writing is mostly just serviceable.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

tfw your lawyer won't stop drinking or putting his feet on furniture when he's trying to put you in jail

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I played the whole game and would say no, it doesn't get better. It's full of jank, buggy as hell, and aside from a few fun set pieces feels dates and unfun.

i was suspicious of people claiming inxile managed to make a good game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

:allears:

Rune Factory 4 is really, really good y'all. On par with Stardew Valley and better in some respects, even.

It's a much better game except the lack of multiplayer

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Rinkles posted:

i was suspicious of people claiming inxile managed to make a good game

I think the combat and exploration in WL3 is fun, even if the writing is trash. Supposedly it's very reactive to your choices, but since I stopped paying attention at some point I don' t know if that's true.

e: For another Fallout-like, I enjoyed Underrail.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wiltsghost posted:

Wasn't someone talking about Deedlit coming to game pass. Maybe thinking of something else.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1470756040828493824

Deedlit in Wonder Labrynth is there in the bottom right, the tweet just mistakenly calls it Record of the Lodoss War (which was a Dreamcast Diablo clone based on the same D&D campaign and anime)