Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Oh, also, I've played it. It's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
nuclear throne, jupiter hell, dungeonmans, monster train, gunfire reborn, streets of rogue, rift wizard, modern doom wads (play a map or two!), dead cells, warpips, griftlands, binding of isaac, kingdom rush, defense grid, enter the gungeon, ftl, into the breach, loop hero, curse of the dead gods, mindustry, bloons td, creeper world, teardown, risk of rain 2, hitman (the new trilogy), heat signature, thumper, plague inc

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Samopsa named it, but my reply is Heat Signature as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heat Signature is absolutely stellar.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Heat Signature is the answer, yes.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'd like some help with breaking out of my comfort zone and try a new game that is not an Ubisoft or Rockstar inspired 3D open world action adventure. Or, more specifically, I just finished Far Cry 5 and would like to play something different for a while before getting into Horizon Zero Dawn or RDR2, neither of which I've played yet.

I'm open to buying something not too expensive or even to play something from my backlog.

From looking at my backlog, the following games stand out a bit, but not enough to break out of the funk of having to actually pick one.

XCOM 2, Tyranny, My Time at Portia, Frostpunk. Maybe also Night in the Woods.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Night in the Woods

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Night in the Woods

Seconded.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Hades

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

All cool possibilities, but Night in the Woods is probably the best if you want to try a self-contained game with a defined end point that isn’t an open world checklist kind of thing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

So I'm looking for a recommendation for games that are fun to play, but not long to play. The sort of game where you can just play it for an hour in the evening and not feel pulled to play more of it -- they have neat stopping points and they don't pull you in with a drip-drip-drip of upgrades and features.

I'm getting pretty exhausted with a lot of RPG's and even multiplayer games where you need to spend hours of your time just to get to play with the cool upgrades and mechanics, and the little skinner box design where new features or upgrades are drip-fed to you. I want something where progression is relatively fast and you have free rein to experiment.

Some games I've enjoyed in the past have been Age of Empires II, Slay the Spire, Nova Drift. These are games where I can play them for around an hour at most, quickly play around with different playstyles, and then when I'm done, I can drop it and go do other things without feeling the urge to go back and score some new upgrade or whatever.

Games I've enjoyed but don't want are Factorio, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Rimworld. These games suck up a lot of time, and it's easy for me to fall victim to that "Just one more turn" mentality.

Give inscryption a try

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

You said you enjoy Nova Drift, so maybe give Monolith a try? Runs are fairly short and fairly intense, so you'll probably feel done after just one or two in any session. Streets of Rage 4, Post Void, and ZeroRanger are also fantastic games where after an hour of play I'm completely satisfied to put it down for a while.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I would like to fly a helicopter around delivering stuff and completing missions. I'm not looking for a simulator, more like something in which you hold space or shift or whatever to take off and climb rather than 10 different hotkeys. I recall when the Operation Flashpoint demo came out, a number of modders created helicopter-based missions in which you would drop soldiers into combat and provide fire support for them, then turn around and go home. I enjoyed that more than the ground-based play. SimCopter would also be a good example. I've checked out the "*-Simulator" games and they've all got pretty bad reviews. I'm playing Frontier Pilot Simulator right now, which is what gave me the itch, but it's pretty janky and not great. I'd really prefer if flying around is the focus of the game rather than something secondary you can do if you want or buy the DLC like the Arma games.

Any ideas, or am I being too picky in a niche subgenre?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It’s old, like really old, but army men: air tactics (not to be confused with army men: air combat, which inexplicably has the same cover art but is an entirely different game) is an isometric helicopter game where a large gameplay loop is picking up allies and supplies from around the map and dropping them around at other locations so they can capture or defend positions etc.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BrianRx posted:

I would like to fly a helicopter around delivering stuff and completing missions. I'm not looking for a simulator, more like something in which you hold space or shift or whatever to take off and climb rather than 10 different hotkeys. I recall when the Operation Flashpoint demo came out, a number of modders created helicopter-based missions in which you would drop soldiers into combat and provide fire support for them, then turn around and go home. I enjoyed that more than the ground-based play. SimCopter would also be a good example. I've checked out the "*-Simulator" games and they've all got pretty bad reviews. I'm playing Frontier Pilot Simulator right now, which is what gave me the itch, but it's pretty janky and not great. I'd really prefer if flying around is the focus of the game rather than something secondary you can do if you want or buy the DLC like the Arma games.

This is a long shot but Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising is an old RTS where you can take direct control of your units, including helicopters.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BrianRx posted:

Cloudpunk

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

It’s old, like really old, but army men: air tactics (not to be confused with army men: air combat, which inexplicably has the same cover art but is an entirely different game) is an isometric helicopter game where a large gameplay loop is picking up allies and supplies from around the map and dropping them around at other locations so they can capture or defend positions etc.

Oh man, you just brought an old quest to find something back to life: an army man third person shooter for a post-PS1 console with multiplayer in which you set up allied army men to basically act like defensive towers.

It doesn't look like downloadable copies of air tactics are available for purchase. Oh well, I think I'm looking for something a little more modern.

Hwurmp posted:

This is a long shot but Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising is an old RTS where you can take direct control of your units, including helicopters.

I think I played this! Similar to above, I'm not sure I would be able to handle the ancient graphics and probably controls.

Winner! I forgot that this is on my wishlist, but it's pretty much what I'm looking for. Might as well grab it now.

Thanks folks!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there any Commandos-style games known for being easy or kid-friendly?

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
I played that Radiohead exhibit and now I'm in the mood for a nice, atmospheric walking simulator, in the vein of The Beginner's Guide or Dear Esther. I also played Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and the Stanley Parable and enjoyed both. I like walking around and experiencing a light sprinkle of storytelling above a blanket of atmosphere.

Xanderkish posted:

Some games I've enjoyed in the past have been Age of Empires II, Slay the Spire, Nova Drift. These are games where I can play them for around an hour at most, quickly play around with different playstyles, and then when I'm done, I can drop it and go do other things without feeling the urge to go back and score some new upgrade or whatever.

Slipways is explicitly designed to be a "3X", aka a 4X without combat, where you can finish a game in an hour. It's more of a puzzle game than a 4X, but I enjoy it quite a bit and it can scratch a strategic itch.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Updog Scully posted:

I played that Radiohead exhibit

The what now???

edit: Oh, badass. I hadn't heard of that or the album being released. I'm a shameful fan.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 15, 2021

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Updog Scully posted:

I played that Radiohead exhibit and now I'm in the mood for a nice, atmospheric walking simulator, in the vein of The Beginner's Guide or Dear Esther. I also played Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and the Stanley Parable and enjoyed both. I like walking around and experiencing a light sprinkle of storytelling above a blanket of atmosphere.

The rec for Cloudpunk just above fits this perfectly too. While there is gameplay and deliveries to do, it's drenched in atmosphere with a story told through the deliveries but a lot you find out just by walking around (and there's minimal challenge other than occasional time constraints on deliveries)

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Updog Scully posted:

I played that Radiohead exhibit and now I'm in the mood for a nice, atmospheric walking simulator, in the vein of The Beginner's Guide or Dear Esther. I also played Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and the Stanley Parable and enjoyed both. I like walking around and experiencing a light sprinkle of storytelling above a blanket of atmosphere..

Thanks for reminding me about Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - I love those types of games too and The Beginners guide is an easy favourite of mine. I remember thinking it looked great when it came out on PS4 but I've only got a PC and had it in my head that it was always a PS exclusive. So I'm going to be 5 years late, but I've got something else to look forward to now.

Have you played Tacoma? It's another game from the creators of Gone Home, set on a space station where you're going around and viewing 3D recordings of all of the crew in different situations and piecing things together. It's been a long time since I've played it but it's very much in the same vein as all the games above.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 15, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Updog Scully posted:

Adios has a bit more immediate story than most of those but it's a good one

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Have you played the DLC? How does it hold up compared to the base game?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Updog Scully posted:

Have you played the DLC? How does it hold up compared to the base game?

I've got it, but not actually played it yet so can't say :smith:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Updog Scully posted:

Capsule Silence XXIV

Umurangi Generation

Exo One

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Good one. I'm only partway through but the environments are awesome. The gameplay isn't much more complicated than rolling a ball down a hill, but that just means you can relax and enjoy the scenery.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Good one. I'm only partway through but the environments are awesome. The gameplay isn't much more complicated than rolling a ball down a hill, but that just means you can relax and enjoy the scenery.

Speaking of rolling a ball down a hill, Venineth is another game in a similar space, where you're rolling and jumping a big old marble through nice-looking alien environments with a good soundtrack.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

is there a megathread for co-op games? I tried searching and looking a the first 4-5 pages but didn't find anything.

Elsewise, my friend and I are burned out on Vermintide and a lot of the other more common/well-known co-op games, so recommend me an online co-op thing (or games that work well with Parsec). Bonus points for co-op games that aren't talked about much, or have a particularly novel gameplay experience. Assume we've played all of the major franchises. Old games are welcome so long as they're not a pain in the rear end to set up. Thanks!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Appoda posted:

is there a megathread for co-op games? I tried searching and looking a the first 4-5 pages but didn't find anything.

Elsewise, my friend and I are burned out on Vermintide and a lot of the other more common/well-known co-op games, so recommend me an online co-op thing (or games that work well with Parsec). Bonus points for co-op games that aren't talked about much, or have a particularly novel gameplay experience. Assume we've played all of the major franchises. Old games are welcome so long as they're not a pain in the rear end to set up. Thanks!

Monaco is a fun heist game with each player having a specific ability.

Satellite Reign is a real time tactical cyberpunk game that is a spiritual successor to Syndicate.

Streets of Rage 4

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Appoda posted:

Streets of Rouge

its like a little bit of everything

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Appoda posted:

I'm gonna recommend Deep Rock Galactic and Snow Runner. You're gonna look up a trailer for Snow Runner and think I'm messing with you but I'm not. Snow Runner is like going over to your friend's house to help them haul out some old furniture and someone drops a couch and it ends up tumbling hundreds of feet down a hill and clobbering someone's shed. Everything goes wrong but somehow everyone has a blast.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

suggestions posted:

Monaco, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rogue, Deep Rock

Thanks, but we've played those; I wasn't joking when I said we've been through all the well-known stuff!

suggestions posted:

Satellite Reign, Snow Runner

These look interesting, however. I think I have Satellite Reign on... Something. Sounds like something that got buried in a humble bundle years ago. My friend likes physics games so we might give Snow Runner a shot! I'm assuming that one is better with a controller?

Are there other turn-based co-op games aside from stuff like Divinity: Original Sin? I've always liked the idea of an old-timey dungeon crawler but they're surprisingly rare, and usually action-focused Gauntlet-likes

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Appoda posted:

I play more action games with my video games friend, but we enjoyed the Division 2 and Sniper 4. Sniper is particularly good because there are at least three coop modes. Green Hell and the Forest are great if you like survival games. Valheim is fantastic if you like games at all, it has a little bit of a lot of good things.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

You tried SC2 coop? It’s free.

Outward is supposed to be a really unique experience and it has coop.

I really enjoyed Nuclear Throne online coop (has a Steam mod IIRC) on PC. The local coop on consoles doesn’t work well, but having your own screen does.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Appoda posted:

https://www.co-optimus.com/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The subreddit r/localmultiplayergames also has lots of suggestions.

edit: gently caress I forgot they wanted online coop

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Appoda posted:

There's this though it's more couch focused

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Appoda posted:

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Earth Defense Force 5
Ultimate Chicken Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Looking for a good Switch game. I have Metroid, DKC, Zelda, Mario. I heard good things about Hollow Knight, Ori Will of Wisps, Celeste, Hades, Bloodstained.

I like interesting games (could be stories, worlds, settings, gameplay) with good music, something memorable. Favorite games of last few years are Nier Automata, Last of Us 2, FF7 Remake, Metroid. Didn’t like Astral Chain and got bored of Zelda Botw.