Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (200%)

I know someone liked my posts about Circle and wanted to check it out afterwards, so do I recommend Harmony? Yes, I do; take a look, go in with an open mind, turn off the soundtrack and take in everything except the center of the screen. It's a grand tour of two weird-rear end castles, don't except the best gameplay but you can have a good time with this. It's absolutely still a skippable game tho don't get me wrong

Harmony’s the only handvania I’ve started and not finished. At least I think, I’ve somehow played maxim mode. It’s been at least ten years but I feel like it might have some sleeper status, just controlling so differently from the more rpg focused ones is cool (kinda jump like Samus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Completely forgotten when in October I beat it but

14) SMT III Nocturne. True Demon. don't need to talk about how amazing this game is.

12/13:
15) SMT V: Hard, Law. Ditto, probably, but anyway amazing game. Nothing was bad, maybe the cast is a little mediocre in comparison to Nocturne and there are some slower parts but everything else is amazing. I want to see even more demons in 3d

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 14, 2021

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Metroid
i'd beaten this before, but it was fun to come back to. not that it's easy, but it's easier than i remember it being. i remember falling down into places and getting trapped a lot more. this game was nothing like anything else at the time, IMO. no other US NES release had a big, explorable map where you could navigate in all four directions. all the powerups stay with you and the password system saves them nicely. mother brain is an awesome ending boss and the surprise count-down timer right afterward amps up the pressure. the screw attack remains one of the greatest goomba stomps in all gaming. my biggest complaint about this game is that getting one of the missile upgrades in ridley's lair involves freezing an enemy and jumping on him without hitting him with the spin attack - the whole thing feels stupid. it's pretty telling how good this is that my biggest complaint is one hidden upgrade. yeah, almost every other metroid game is better, but this paved the way for them. also, it's wild to think that samus being a woman was a big reveal you earned by beating the game quickly enough. some minor complaints that i think are just the learning curve for doing something this innovative: ridley and kraid are jokes. recovering missiles is kind of a pain, even with the things you can farm. some of the hidden floor and ceiling tiles feel a little obnoxious. really glad this was after all those micronics ports and stuff to remind me what a really good game looks and feels like. next up: the legend of zelda.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

no other US NES release had a big, explorable map where you could navigate in all four directions.

Bicyclops posted:

next up: the legend of zelda.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

up until Metroid, I meant, lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's insane they came out almost together. must have absolutely lit the gaming world on fire.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Simply Simon posted:

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (200%)

I know someone liked my posts about Circle and wanted to check it out afterwards, so do I recommend Harmony? Yes, I do; take a look, go in with an open mind, turn off the soundtrack and take in everything except the center of the screen. It's a grand tour of two weird-rear end castles, don't except the best gameplay but you can have a good time with this. It's absolutely still a skippable game tho don't get me wrong

Harmony's the only handheld Vania I have bad memories of. Just hours of dashing backwards (or whatever it was that made you go stupidly fast) and beating trivially easy bosses.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Dungeon #5.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

39b. SMTV, 100% Compendium, All Endings. A tremendously good game, better than i was expecting since shifting to pure open world designs can be a death sentence for games that dont handle it well. Incredibly areas, incredible atmosphere, incredible demons. I love it so much. ill do this all again in like 6 months bc i wanna play with a different nahobino + i didnt have any of the DLC. i bet the fiends are cool.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

probably the last game ill beat this year. 2021 was some good poo poo, here's to 2022 all.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

A little bit of Eagle in my life
A little bit of The Moon by my side
A little bit of Manji is all I need
A little bit of The Snake is what I see
A little bit of Lizard in the sun
A little bit of Dragon all night long
A little bit of The Demon, here I am
A little bit of Lion brings me t' Death Mountain

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fungah! posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Lougend of Bega

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Lougend of Bega

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Lougend of Bega

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Lougend of Bega

lmao

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Lougend of Bega

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Lougend of Bega

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Lougend of Bega

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Here's my list for 2021:

Xenogears
Vagrant Story
Ultimate Doom
Doom II
Grandia
Grandia 2
Grandia 3
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior VII
Link's Awakening DX
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
Shin Megami Tensei V

I can't choose between Grandia and Grandia 2 as my favorite

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

I got the tude now posted:

Harmony’s the only handvania I’ve started and not finished. At least I think, I’ve somehow played maxim mode. It’s been at least ten years but I feel like it might have some sleeper status, just controlling so differently from the more rpg focused ones is cool (kinda jump like Samus)
I think the jump is really bad, but it is very funny that Maxim has literally the screw attack - maybe you're thinking of that, haha

Anyway, I went and took some screenshots to illustrate what I mean with the backgrounds being really beautiful and worth checking out

this has parallax scrolling

there's a lot of these arrangements suggesting depth. I also really like the colors here

the contrast between Juste's hideous jumping sprite and the insanely detailed stained-glass window (one of many different designs in this one room, mind) is striking

boss arena. you might not even notice how much effort they put into this single room because you're busy fighting

Finally, a video showing more faux 3D (like the actual 3D in Symphony!), and the completely extra animation for switching castles

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1470883997911642119?s=20

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Grand Prix ALL CUPS IN 50CC, 100CC, 150CC, MIRROR AND 200CC 3 STARS)
2. Sonic Advance (Sonic)
3. Alien Syndrome (US version, 1-ALL 1CC no death, reached 2-6) - video
4. Sonic 3 Complete (Knuckles, Tails)
5. Super Mario World (96 exits)
6. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. (no warps, no continues)
7. Truxton II (1-ALL, 1CC) - video
8. Bonk's Adventure (NES)
9. Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (NES, no death)
10. Persona 4 (Normal ending)
11. Castlevania (NES, 1-ALL, no death, game over at 2-4) - video
12. Yakuza Kiwami
13. Super Mario Galaxy (3D All-Stars version, 120 stars)
14. Suikoden
15. Donpachi (Japan, 1-ALL, dead at 2-2) - video
16. Super Metroid (Control Freak hack, 4:00, 60%, saved the animals)
17. Doom (E1, E2 on UV, E3 on HMP, no mid-level saving, pistol start on death)
18. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
19. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
20. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All
21. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
22. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)
23. Super Mario Odyssey
24. Sonic Colors Ultimate
25. WarioWare: Get it Together!
26. Super Mario 3D World (Switch)
27. Metroid Dread
28. Star Fox 64
29. Kirby's Adventure
30. Mega Man 9
31. Rockman (no death, no pause glitch) - video

was a bit harder than i thought, took lots of attempts that ended in various ways but mostly in plummeting into pits or spikes

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
likely to be my final list

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mycophobia posted:

likely to be my final list

No don't. You have so much to live for

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Arrhythmia posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Arrhythmia posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Watching Herzog’s Stroszek and listening to The Idiot before posting my final games beat 2021 list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

16 days left in the year lotta underachievers itt