Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I don't understand sea ice gifs, can't these eggheads just tell me which year I'm gonna die yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Decades posted:

I don't understand sea ice gifs, can't these eggheads just tell me which year I'm gonna die yet?

whats the fun in knowing that

you don't get the luxury of a quick and knowable death

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Decades posted:

every year. we dying every year

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Someone needs to rise up and DO SOMETHING! But until that happens I'll be right here, farming for clicks, likes, and followers." :v:

TBF the guy had a pretty prestigious career and is torpedoing it with his brain breaking

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

loving oof. But not likely wrong!

The fact that minorities are in every likelihood more likely to be disproportionately hurt by climate change almost certainly is a huge part of why the right wing's been jerking off to it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
theres been a zillion news articles precipitating out of it but the thwaites presentation itself is the best source and a good summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBbgWsR4-aw

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

amusingly the climate scientists will be the ones blamed if that ice shelf collapses at 2.9 years

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/buttpraxis/status/1470532741984886794

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's better than it being burned... right?

Right??

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
should we agree on a HAM radio frequency now to keep this thread going for as long as possible once the broader internet ceases to function?

does Jeffrey of YOSPOS have enough money to put a fleet of goon-repeater satellites into orbit, and issue all pre-2010-reg-date posts a free orbital receiver/transmitter? (Post-2010s welcome to but on a sliding price scale based on reg date).

Xaris posted:

whats the fun in knowing that

you don't get the luxury of a quick and knowable death

Bro do you even have horse tranquilizer?

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Dec 14, 2021

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Cabbages and Kings posted:

should we agree on a HAM radio frequency now to keep this thread going for as long as possible once the broader internet ceases to function?
It's 420.69, come on

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
ive had the amateur radio thread bookmarked forever. i haven't opened it in a long time tho. maybe we should designate frequencies for the various threads in cspam. i think 66.6 would suit this thread better, but only so the gay thread can have 420.69.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

absolutely, the solution to climate change is more monocultures

we can replant multiple species of genetically engineered trees duh

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

accurate

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Yeah, 70mph

https://twitter.com/AlexJLamers/status/1470750228068319235

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m around two family members who are teens and they are stressing about college and what schools they’re going to and their parents are very worried about grades. it takes a lot for me to not go, “don’t worry about it. like at all. enjoy being upper middle class and being 16 and 14 while you can.”

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

enjoy being kids for the rest of your life

what does that mean

don't worry about it, yet

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Life is short [extremely prolonged and dramatic wink]

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Heat Dome is old news; welcome to ... Wind Dome

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

it's currently only 10 degrees colder in Hartford, CT than in Los Angeles, CA, 14 days into December

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Kinda feels like adults have been children for their whole lives so far and it's the children who are going to be forced to grow up to deal with the mess they've been left

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Raine posted:

you forgot BOE

Blue Ocean Event is the band who does the hit songs from the movies

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Booourns posted:

Kinda feels like adults have been children for their whole lives so far and it's the children who are going to be forced to grow up to deal with the mess they've been left

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
And now, Blue Ocean Cult with their hit song "(Don't Fear) the Reaper"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

been a minute since i checked in

yup

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I'm planning on dying the way I live, with my dick firmly lodged in a sex toy. This will be my offering to the roving bands of survivors.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/alfonslopeztena/status/1470806996794462209

good details I haven't seen before about how hosed the southern ocean is. in short there is a lot of CO2 coming up from old organic matter all around Antarctica. This is surprising as until recently they used to think this ocean absorbed CO2

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

You sort of, kinda, in a weird roundabout way, have to admire just how thoroughly we're hosed.
Every stupid, shortsighted, greedy decision we've ever made is now doubling back and ramming itself up our collective asses at the same time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

because i'm standing at the edge of tomorrow
the whole future looks poo poo for me
yeah i'm standing at the edge of tomorrow
it's my chance to make my grave

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Ssthalar posted:

You sort of, kinda, in a weird roundabout way, have to admire just how thoroughly we're hosed.
Every stupid, shortsighted, greedy decision we've ever made is now doubling back and ramming itself up our collective asses at the same time.

yeah it owns

could we have hosed things up better if we had tried?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

yeah it owns

we could actually be polluting more but only by a bit - every industrialized country could look like India's bad days if we tried

that said the difference would be fractional, we're already burning everything we economically can

but we've based all of our infrastructure and invested centuries of productivity into making GBS threads all over the planet and boy howdy are we reaping dividends now

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

yeah it owns

Absolutely if we kept slamming the gas pedal on coal until the lights went out. Surely some idiot planet somewhere has managed it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ssthalar posted:

pretty much everything with nature has consequences, at least anytime any sort of equilibrium is disrupted

you dump all your piss n poo into a lake, oops now you all die of cholera.
you cut down all the forests, oops now animals disapear and you have nothing to eat and the land becomes barren and creates dust storms and landslides destroy your town
you create mega-ag meat factories, oops now they all die of being crammed in unsafe unsanitary conditions breeding super viruses
you pump antibiotics into animals and humans to stop them from dying to maximize profit, oops you bred super turbo resistant viruses that also infect people
you plant mono-cultural agriculture, oops all the topsoil has been killed off and nothing grows there anymore
you introduce zillion barrels of 100+ million years of sequestered carbon into a closed loop system, oops now the equilibrium is thrown way off and the planet is burning down and nothing is reliable anymore
you dump gigatons of endocrine disrupting chemicals/polymers into the ecosystem, oops now all humans and animals are obese, have cancer, and can't reproduce

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Booourns posted:

alwayshasbeen.jpg

I'm struck in retrospect by how *bad* my ideal life choices back in ~1999 would have been if I'd achieved them.

B-52/B-1 bomber pilot: killing brown people for 20+ years.
Airline pilot: :rubby:
"Something on Wall Street": wouldn't have had seniority at any firm in 2008 and probably would've been let go with a near-worthless CV.

That being said, I ended up in the business of omnicide anyway so :shrug:.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Dec 14, 2021

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That being said, I ended up in the business of omnicide anyway so :shrug:.

Same here lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/voooos/status/1470784672607219730

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

yeah it owns

Yes. We could have been forced to wear respirators leaving our homes since the 70s if we'd tried.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah if you try to boil ice water it melts the ice before heating the water so when all the ice is gone its gonna be pretty f'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

yeah it owns

pretty sure we're trying pretty drat hard

i've seen people saying "i want to die" while trying to overdose that aren't trying as hard as humans are at destroying any hope for a livable climate