Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Flesh Forge posted:

see that stuff is what I can absolutely do without, it pushes you very hard towards exploiting the zombie pathing and building really dumb looking poo poo, also the bomb zombies are just ridiculous imo. thankfully you can disable that if you don't care for it.
Yeah, when I was trying to figure out what I did wrong, I looked up some tutorials. They only came in two flavors: either super decked out bases with endgame materials covered head to toe in traps, or really basic ones that literally exploited the AI and sloped building blocks such that zombies could never reach you even if you were AFK. There was no middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We always build castles in 7 days instead of anything too gamey because we want a sprawling chaotic battle of helms deep and not be booping zombies in a little hallway (this is also how I play Rimworld gently caress the killboxes). We always plan for multiple fallback points and trying to stay mobile while defending. Since our bases are bigger we usually don't use the best materials because we don't want to grind mats that much. If half our base isn't wrecked by the end then the server settings are too low. 7 days has no ending/story/whatever so it's just about having fun in the chaos.

I played with a friend once who's the type to do only youtube/reddit approved builds and such so they had a gamey one that exploited pathfinding and I thought it was pretty boring.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I saw a guy on twitch who would just chug coffee, walk out into the middle of a street, and strafe jump and kill all the zombies for hours until morning. If I'm being honest, that didn't look all that fun either. I don't know, weird mechanic, can't really get into it. I feel like they want there to be a reason to participate in basebuilding though, which I like in theory but the outcome seems miserable.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

there isn't really such a thing as a game mechanic people won't optimize into a depressing chore, the good games just don't require you to do that for you to do okay and ideally gently discourage the really tedious solutions for maximizing number and minimizing risk

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There's a separate mechanic that produces wandering hordes and combined with a mod that makes those hordes larger it's a pretty good alternative to the Blood Moon mechanic, you will still get assaulted by large, powerful groups but it's a lot more organic and doesn't cheat.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
But its fantastic when you go afk while melting some brass/iron and come back and that enlarged horde has taken out the entire corner of your base.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

But you don't have to sit and babysit things unless you're being really careful shoving specific items into the forge. With the workbench, with the small crafting queue in the character, I don't think I've ever gone afk for things in multiplayer without making sure someone else was at keyboard able to call me back.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Once you know what you’re doing in Icarus and especially once you have a decent amount of talent points in the bow tree the “minimum viable build” is getting a crafting bench, making a longbow, and then just finishing the rest of the mission by wrecking everything with a longbow & bone arrows. The workshop oxygen tank + canteen means you never have to worry about oxygen or water for basically the rest of any mission. Other than that the basic 3d knife is good because it lets you skin larger animals, but even then you get more bone with the stone knife so I just use it most of the time.

You can farm a crafting bench, bags, and an oxidizer within 15 minutes of most missions and then you’re basically set. I’ve only run into one mission that took longer, simply because it required tier 4 tech to complete. I have 11 unspent talent points and 70+ unspent bp points that I just haven’t needed. Game is definitely in alpha state.

Edit: also kinda bullshit that they brag about “35 missions!” and half of those are the same mission just in slightly different biomes (or even the same biome, since riverlands & forest are loving identical), plus 4-5 missions are 30-day free play “exploration” missions.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 15, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
In case you weren't yet sick of Icarus, this person on Reddit found out that it's basically just an asset flip and... lol. Just lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/ICARUS/comments/rikfl8/icarus_what_couldve_been/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't have any issues with game devs doing that kind of thing when it's appropriate, just, you're going to an alien planet that looks like Colorado and has wolves and bears and poo poo

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Me, trying to terraform a new breadbasket world: "Okay so where are we putting the bears?"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
And make sure the bears and wolves are even more aggressive maneaters than the ones we copied them from back on Earth.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Having access to basically unlimited creative possibilites by adding the space ship metagame layer and then instead settling on the most uninspired biome and enemies of them all is probably the only red flag I ever needed. The asset flip news doesn't really surprise me.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Buying assets doesn't bother me at all but a sci-fi setting turning out looking like Earth most of the time is very :effort:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't have any issues with game devs doing that kind of thing when it's appropriate, just, you're going to an alien planet that looks like Colorado and has wolves and bears and poo poo
Toronto is more traditional

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I care a bit about the asset buying, not necessarily because they bought stuff but because its one more indicator of the half baked, cash gtab status of the game.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The fact that it is still poorly optimized, it's a coin flip if RTX actually works on my 3070, and every update absolutely thrashes your hard drive tells me they don't really know what they're doing with Unreal Engine, either.

Most of my favorite games these days are Unreal Engine games and they don't have any problems like these.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the $90 $100 "supporters edition" cash grab offering is pretty damning, imo

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, 7DTD has got me by the balls. I've thoroughly enjoyed becoming an ironclad flaming hammer wielding wastelander riding around on a motor scooter. It's pretty repetitive grinding out jobs for the trader but the power creep is satisfying. I'm just trying to unlock the crucible for steel at this point because it seems like all the high tier poo poo requires it, but once I start to run out of crafting goals the fun might dry up. For now though, christ I can't put it down.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's in a pretty good state, it has a lot of replay value that you don't really get in pretty much any of the other survival sandbox games because of all the hand crafted POIs. they really leaned into that with this update, pretty smart.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I have been circling through all the traders trying to find a damned crucible on every refresh.
Or a silencer. Both a no show.
What is the toughness route for areas?
Going to assume Forest area, Desert, Snowy and the Wasteland.
Took a tour earlier trying to find new traders and found the wasteland area on my map.
Lots of those weird bubbly guys wandering and explody cops.
Haven't even come across those weird bubbly guys yet outside that area and I must have seen 6-7 just driving through.

Even though i'm on lvl 4 missions with Jen, I may have to move down there and start over in the hopes of better loot.

Sadly its like a 20 minute motorcycle ride from my main base.
I guess a secondary base never hurt anyone.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay well gently caress I hadn't gone into the wasteland until today and I just got owned by the goo spitting cops trying to ride my moped to the next trader while some mutant grizzly bear mauled me. I've been getting used to not dying so that came as a surprise!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

OgNar posted:

I have been circling through all the traders trying to find a damned crucible on every refresh.
Or a silencer. Both a no show.
What is the toughness route for areas?
Going to assume Forest area, Desert, Snowy and the Wasteland.
Took a tour earlier trying to find new traders and found the wasteland area on my map.
Lots of those weird bubbly guys wandering and explody cops.
Haven't even come across those weird bubbly guys yet outside that area and I must have seen 6-7 just driving through.

Even though i'm on lvl 4 missions with Jen, I may have to move down there and start over in the hopes of better loot.

Sadly its like a 20 minute motorcycle ride from my main base.
I guess a secondary base never hurt anyone.

I hope you have all levels of 'secret stash' because it's the only way to get traders to have the top-tier items. Otherwise you'll just eventually loot one randomly from a hardware store when your gamestage /lucky looter is high enough.

I don't know what counts as 'top tier' trader items but I think the solar panel array is one of them, it makes sense that the crucible is one too.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick
Crossposting this goon Empyrion server thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987501

I think most people have started on Haven

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

explosivo posted:

Okay well gently caress I hadn't gone into the wasteland until today and I just got owned by the goo spitting cops trying to ride my moped to the next trader while some mutant grizzly bear mauled me. I've been getting used to not dying so that came as a surprise!

I was up to lvl 2 trader missions in the Wasteland today and decided to do the night mission with the power generators.
Bad decision.
At some point after I had completed it, i'm still in there looting and I can only assume that I got a swarm spawned with a few screamers.
I killed at least 2 but there could have been more.
They just kept coming, so many zombies streaming through the door.
Went through over 300 7.62 and had to move to the shotgun.
I can only assume there was at least 1 more screamer spawning these things before I was eventually overwhelmed.
My biggest mistake was not getting to the roof or some kind of high ground during a short lull when I patched up and kept thinking it was over before another wave started.
And this was just a standard night mission.
The wasteland doesnt screw around at night.
And i was considering adding the mod that adds more wandering zombies and wandering hordes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

try it, it's fun :3

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zomboid's devs just released a nice highly polished trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPbsDmzZ3Oc

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Protocol7 posted:

In case you weren't yet sick of Icarus, this person on Reddit found out that it's basically just an asset flip and... lol. Just lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/ICARUS/comments/rikfl8/icarus_what_couldve_been/

I don't actually have an issue using purchased assets if the rest of the game holds up. Gamers have this really loving weird obsession with things being made in house all the time. From their careers website, they're looking for animators/artists/programmers.

Not that i'm defending Icarus specifically, but purchasing assets isn't the big own people think it is and companies typically can't afford to sit around and do nothing while they find the right candidates.

Flesh Forge posted:

This is the big agree from me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Find me a survival game that is made from nearly 100% asset flips that isn't complete garbage.

Also I'm confused where I said the assets have to all be made in house - it's just hilarious that the lovely new Dean Hall survival game which is a generic copy of every other survival game made is also a lovely asset flip.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 20, 2021

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Look at Stationeers (which I admit is one of my favorite survival games). I just don't think Rocketwerkz has the talent in-house to create the level of graphics that they purchased for Icarus.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Flesh Forge posted:

Zomboid's devs just released a nice highly polished trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPbsDmzZ3Oc

Ok, this finally sold me on the game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That's a great trailer! Highly recommend the game. After a few years break, our survivor game group has been going hard on Zomboid lately. The hordes are literally everywhere whenever you try to go into towns and even hardened veterans will die if they overextend, get stunlocked or make that one mistake that lets a zomb get in your face.

One thing that bothered me is that you NEED salt to make bread, which none of us have managed to find yet. Just make it a bit more tasteless! Also would be nice if you could grind animal meat into minced meat and make meat patties, since after electricity goes down, you can't anymore.

Has anyone managed to make good use of trapping? I can regularly catch squirrels with peanut butter, but so far getting rabbits (with same kinds of crate traps) with cabbage hasn't given anything yet. Even worse zombs thend to break the traps.

Also finding a sledgehammer seems really rare at the moment so no redecorating sadly for now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the whole thing with certain tools being an absolute binary bottleneck and also being really rare is a bit of a stupid feature in that game, imo just use a mod that gives you craftable sledgehammers. it's a heavy weight on the end of a stick, it's not the product of advanced manufacturing

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

the whole thing with certain tools being an absolute binary bottleneck and also being really rare is a bit of a stupid feature in that game, imo just use a mod that gives you craftable sledgehammers. it's a heavy weight on the end of a stick, it's not the product of advanced manufacturing

Right, I feel the same about various items or ingredients, so I have added a mod which gives the ability to make new things - like sowing wheat and grinding it to flour, or making wood ash and processing it into potassium salt as a salt replacement - to fill those gaps.

Soul Filcher's mods are good adds, and I'm still a fan of Long Term Survival.

TeaJay posted:

Has anyone managed to make good use of trapping? I can regularly catch squirrels with peanut butter, but so far getting rabbits (with same kinds of crate traps) with cabbage hasn't given anything yet. Even worse zombs thend to break the traps.

To get rabbits regularly you need to be someplace that has a good forest nearby. Urban and suburban rabbit catching isn't all that good. Since you've succeeded with squirrels you know how to do it. In my games I usually get 3-4 traps going in a good nearby forest patch and get 1-2 rabbits daily, supplementing that with an occasional fishing outing.

In West Point, the picnic area near the gas station and warehouse is a great place to hole up to focus on trapping. I've not tried near Twiggy's yet, but going to. In Rosewood, the area south to the construction site near the firehouse is a great rabbit place. Riverside, the forest to the south of the gated community.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Arven posted:

Look at Stationeers (which I admit is one of my favorite survival games). I just don't think Rocketwerkz has the talent in-house to create the level of graphics that they purchased for Icarus.

Stationeers is probably my favorite survival game as well. It's just so nerdily perfect and I actually kind of dig its aesthetic.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I tried to like stationeers except it seemed you needed some convoluted tutorials to be able to figure out how to get oxygen and I eventually ran out.
Was fun up until then.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I was watching Raptor play Zomboid and it seem pretty fun.
I'm kinda stuck on whether I want to play one of either:
Zomboid, Valheim or Grounded.

I'm a solo player.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kraftwerk posted:

I was watching Raptor play Zomboid and it seem pretty fun.
I'm kinda stuck on whether I want to play one of either:
Zomboid, Valheim or Grounded.

I'm a solo player.

Zomboid is very different from the rest because it's a very slow game. You have to be cautious because once you draw attention to yourself by being loud and sloppy you can get really messed up, and there is no respawning. It's a game of boaring up the entire bottom floor of a house and using bedsheets to tie a rope to the second floor window in order to sneak in and out of.

Basically, Zomboid is a stealth survival game, Valheim is not good to play solo, and Grounded is more your typical crafting "build a torch, build a base, explore" kind of survival game and fairly forgiving.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

OgNar posted:

I tried to like stationeers except it seemed you needed some convoluted tutorials to be able to figure out how to get oxygen and I eventually ran out.
Was fun up until then.

It's very much a game that you benefit from having someone knowledgeable about it's mechanics around. The built-in tutorials are lackluster and also out-of-date.

Oxygen comes from a few sources, depending on planets. Mars and the Moon are the "starter" planets normally, so if you're on those, the easiest method is locating "Oxite Ice", which is something like 90% O2/10% N2. Mine it up and leave it in your mining belt, it can sublimate away if you take it out early. Next, build an Ice Crusher, some pipes, a pressure regulator, a canister filler, and a spare canister. These are all built in the Hydraulic Pipe Bender constructor.

Build the Ice Crusher, then use pipes to go from the gas output at the top to a pressure regulator, then from the regulator to the canister filler. Power the ice crusher and the regulator, then set the regulator to 6000 kpa or so. Place the spare canister in the filler, and the oxite ice into the ice crusher, then turn on the regulator and the ice crusher. You can use your tablet with an Atmo Cartridge in it to monitor the fill level of the canister. You may also need to attach a pipe heater to the pipe going into the canister filler as well, and turn it on and monitor it until the temperature is close to 20-30c.

The gas will be an O2/N2 mix, so to use it safely in your suit, you'll need to replace one of your CO2 suit filters with an N2 filter.

This is a really rough way of doing it early on, if you're getting low and haven't created a supply before your lander tank has run out. The lander usually has a big white tank attached to it. Just use the wrench to pop it off, then take your suit tank out and slot it into the fill port on the big white lander tank, then take it back out and put it back in your suit. You can survive tankless for the few seconds it takes to do this, and you can do this for a decently long time before the lander tanks pressure is too low for it to work like this.

Edit: I'm not an advanced Stationeers Nerd by any means but if anyone wants little quick tutorials on how to do certain things, I'll gladly make quick videos and post them to YouTube to help demystify stuff. I *really* like the game and would be happy to.

Warrior Princess fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"The game is so convoluted, idk man"

"Oh its cool, just do these fifteen steps, you know what a kilopascal is right"