Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I boosted a war because I wanted to finish all the ShB role quests to put a bow on it before Endwalker. Original plan was to level paladin but I only made it to 50 before running out of time. War was the tank I was least interested in leveling and would gain the most from boosting (level 11 compared to 60 gbr, 50 pal and 46 dk).

So now I've got an 80 war and they have so many buff cooldowns that I have no idea where to start with them... I usually put the tank buffs on my top row hotbar and they spilled over easily. Gonna have to find a guide but once I have the other roles to 90 I'll start by jumping into MSQ roulette to see what they have at 50 and go from there.

If I had to start over I'd main paladin for a number of reasons, especially style and shorter queues. I started in open beta as a gladiator, didn't play for years, came back and got arcanist and rogue to 30, skipped another year, came back and started new as a monk. I like its action pose in cutscenes, and the movement and animations in combat. I'm going to finish out EW MSQ as a monk. I'm using red mage as my secondary class, with the ShB role armor and an amazing top hat + monocle I got early on which is hilariously stylish for doing all the sidequests. I just wish I had Hildibrand quests left to do with it. He's supposed to be back this expansion, right?

Shadowbringers and Endwalker have made great strides in really making me like my character. I meant to fantasia away to change things up since I'm huge at swapping around races and classes in other games and playing alts. But I'm tied to her as the protagonist of the game now and watching other peoples' characters is just flat out weird especially if they are lalafells. I try to make choices to be nice and always up for helping out but occasionally have to pick the dumb choices to see what happens. I'm currently annoyed because (2/3 through zone 5/level 67ish spoilers) I tried so hard to be circumspect when talking to the locals and then my character just blurts it ALL out during an exposition montage. I mean, come on, haven't you watched any genre movies? My new investigation partner after that is awesome though and makes up for it. Man this game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

bagrada posted:

I boosted a war because I wanted to finish all the ShB role quests to put a bow on it before Endwalker. Original plan was to level paladin but I only made it to 50 before running out of time. War was the tank I was least interested in leveling and would gain the most from boosting (level 11 compared to 60 gbr, 50 pal and 46 dk).

So now I've got an 80 war and they have so many buff cooldowns that I have no idea where to start with them... I usually put the tank buffs on my top row hotbar and they spilled over easily. Gonna have to find a guide but once I have the other roles to 90 I'll start by jumping into MSQ roulette to see what they have at 50 and go from there.

For what it's worth, warrior is probably the easiest of the lot to pick up and play. You can actually get a really good feel for button layouts and such without subjecting people to bad tranking just by playing in trusts getting a feel for how they play in Dungeons.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Warrior is absolutely beastly right now with both self sustain and burst damage on demand, and their level 90 is one of the most satisfying buttons in the game to push. Be a warrior, you won't regret it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm hearing very good arguments for both WAR and PLD so I guess I'm gonna level both as I go :v: WAR just seems very satisfying and that's something I love about GNB with all the explosions and self-healing, so that sounds great to me, and then PLD leaning into the "protect everyone" aspect also really appeals to me (Heart of Light is one of my favorite GNB buttons to press).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Seeing Reaper in action makes me sorta bummed about how goofy Machinist looks during Overheat. Gauss Round and Ricochet should have gotten new animations in EW that flow more naturally from Heat Blast - when you watch a Reaper dumping their buttons during the 1.5s GCD phase it looks badass and flowing, but when MCH does it looks really janky and stilted as they snap between dabbing and basically standing rigid with their arm out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm biased against reaper because I think those stink clouds they leave all over the place are very ugly

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

hazardousmouse posted:

I beat em all cause I wanted those sweet sweet check marks saying I did.
Wanderers hard did require some specific shenanigans to win the final boss.
Had to position the party 90° away from me so I could bait the aoes. Had to stay at a specific range for some reason or another. Had to command them to move or attack at specific times. It was very fiddly.

Yeah, I got it eventually. This is pretty much correct.

The boss always targets the player with his cone stun, so as you said it's important to stand away from the NPCs since they don't dodge things, as the healer getting stunned means they fall behind on healing and might not heal you out of doom. In the meantime you also have to use engage/disengage so you can pull the boss off his totem auras. However, the healer doesn't heal while disengaging so that risks the doom, again. Of course, the tank will sometimes randomly decide to run in and hit a totem, pulling the boss back into its aura and forcing another disengage.

Insanely frustrating, glad it's over.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Countblanc posted:

Seeing Reaper in action makes me sorta bummed about how goofy Machinist looks during Overheat. Gauss Round and Ricochet should have gotten new animations in EW that flow more naturally from Heat Blast - when you watch a Reaper dumping their buttons during the 1.5s GCD phase it looks badass and flowing, but when MCH does it looks really janky and stilted as they snap between dabbing and basically standing rigid with their arm out.

Yeah, I really wish they'd smooth out those animations, it looks so goofy. All three of them constantly get clipped by one another, so your character is just flailing around snapping to different positions, it's like I'm playing LotRO again.

It's a shame because most of their animations are great! It's just the spam phase that looks bad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So one of the 'beast tribes' for this expac are definitely going to be (EX dungeon and final zone spoilers):The bar at the end of existance, right?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So one of the 'beast tribes' for this expac are definitely going to be (EX dungeon and final zone spoilers):The bar at the end of existance, right?

Maybe. Could also be custom deliveries. There's definitely gonna be something though since there's the option to find out more about ancient civilizations that only has one choice so far.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

homeless snail posted:

I'm biased against reaper because I think those stink clouds they leave all over the place are very ugly

Is Reaper also really into yelling and grunting and poo poo? I haven't tried the class yet, but I swear the amount of weird little yelps I heard in dungeons skyrocketed when they showed up. (What I could hear over the Sage's one-person arcade, anyway.)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe. Could also be custom deliveries. There's definitely gonna be something though since there's the option to find out more about ancient civilizations that only has one choice so far.

Okay but if they're the crafting one you get to help set up a weird little town by crafting all the things they need to run a cafe

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

PLD is going to be the smoothest and easiest tank youll play thats also going to be roasted in like a month about having the worst damage. I have nothing to support this statement except precedence

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Their damage was perfectly fine in ShB.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DRK has TBN and apparently the highest damage potential right now? But it plays very boring besides TBN being fun to press, so I wouldn't really recommend it even if it IS my personal tank job.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Valentin posted:

Okay back to unrelated 83 spoilers, and a question specifically for lala players, what does the WoL do in the cutscene where you attack Zenos in your body? I can't imagine you do the same running tackle, I feel like it's at the wrong height.

This isn't the best shot on earth but here you go: it looked a little funny but no discordant or janky. It made sense to me that it looked a little awkward since after all my WoL was suddenly piloting a body twice her normal size, so stumbling around and bumbling and blundering felt reasonable

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Thundarr posted:

Friendly advice to people just now getting to 89-90 in the story:

When you get to the final zone, turn off shout chat entirely if you care even a little bit about story or ambiance. All the people with terminal gamer brains waiting on a world FATE may sour the experience for your otherwise.

this is good advice, I'd also reccomend not using mount roulette because while funny, it feels off if you get out your namazu mikoshi.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The nice thing about going through the MSQ as a Warrior is that your 'burst phase' is on demand, so when you need to kill something for a quest you know exactly what buttons to press and you get to just do it right away.
Also Warrior is very good when your healer bites it and the boss has 10% HP left. With Nascent Flash and Shake It Off you can even bring a DPS with you sometimes!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bewilderment posted:

The nice thing about going through the MSQ as a Warrior is that your 'burst phase' is on demand, so when you need to kill something for a quest you know exactly what buttons to press and you get to just do it right away.
Also Warrior is very good when your healer bites it and the boss has 10% HP left. With Nascent Flash and Shake It Off you can even bring a DPS with you sometimes!

This also applies to Bard, I can just blow everything I have at once and the mob is probably down to 25% by the time I'm out of buttons, if not dead outright.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

bewilderment posted:

lol, literally happened to me on my warrior. Last boss of one of the expert roulette dungeons, healer & DPS die with 30ish% on the boss, me and SAM pulled it off with ease thanks to Nascent Flash/Glint

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's going to be the setting of the new Hildibrand quests.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wrestlepig posted:

this is good advice, I'd also reccomend not using mount roulette because while funny, it feels off if you get out your namazu mikoshi.

w-wa... w-wasshoi... :cry:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Someone earlier asked about good AF sets this expansion and I will just once again say that the DNC gear for males is extremely fantastic.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Pigbuster posted:

w-wa... w-wasshoi... :cry:

me when anything in the main story happened

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Able to get a reasonable Jojo vibe out of the final GNB set (with the hat from the last MSQ set before that). Digging it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Someone earlier asked about good AF sets this expansion and I will just once again say that the DNC gear for males is extremely fantastic.

they don't have the hotpants though it loving sucks!!!!

the (formerly) female thavnairian hotpants are a pretty good substitute though

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

About the end of Zone 5 and the dungeon.

I don't really get how Hermes thinks this was "fair" in any way whatsoever and he isn't the greatest monster in history.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

About the end of Zone 5 and the dungeon.

I don't really get how Hermes thinks this was "fair" in any way whatsoever and he isn't the greatest monster in history.

It isn't fair as in "This a good thing to do." It's fair as in "I want to see how this situation would actually play out without us having psychic future knowledge because I need proof that life isn't futile and meaningless." He wants that to be proven. It also has the convenient side effect of erasing his own memory so he doesn't have to acknowledge his crime.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The blm 90 AF has really grown on me. I do miss the casting sets like yafaemi or the WoD set. 70 AF was also really cool. Guess I like big witchy hats

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
re: Zone 5 Hermes also has some justified problems with Amaurotine society and legitimate concerns about it's future fate. And hey here's this wonderful goth bird that can force society to fix its problems or die which sounds perfect for the sad boy with a tendency to act unilaterally. It's why he rejects joining Meteion, he does want his people to live.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

jobtalk: I started the game around 3.0/3.1, started as THM and stayed BLM until SB came out and immediately went RDM and have been since. Powerleveling RDM during SB early access was the super right choice, with all the problems, I didn't even end up that far behind the curve.

I remember when I first started, MCH sounded super cool, and I spent so much of my time leveling through ARR, doing the 2.x series feeling like "when are we gonna get to the fireworks factory ishgard" but when I finally unlocked it, I didn't really want to deal with leveling from 30 again. (Also, that era of MCH wasn't that fun to me.)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

EW PLD is amazing now that it's got some very strong self-sustain. Also big swords. The Holy Sheltron sfx might be one of the coolest in the game. You're just a slab of steel that can pretty much live forever.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This also applies to Bard, I can just blow everything I have at once and the mob is probably down to 25% by the time I'm out of buttons, if not dead outright.

A quality of life thing I didn't think of that comes from divorcing songs and dots? It just keeps ticking. Kill a guy, go back roaming the overworld, and by the time you fight again Apex Arrow is gonna be charged up and ready.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

More ShB playthrough thoughts:

Roles Quests 70-72: I’ve only access to the physical and healer ones. So far Giott rules and the physical catboy is annoying.
I don’t know how I feel about putting down Ardbert’s old comrades. I guess it’s a way for the game to give us their backstory.

I’m curious why Ardbert is still around while they turned

Lead up to the first Trial: We get to do our own gas attack to rescue Minfilia, but it’s sleeping gas, so it’s OK. Ran’jit doing the “I’ve observed your fighting moves and will now defeat you in one strike” is a thematically appropriate for his archetype to win against us, but it feels a bit silly how everyone he knocked out in the first minute of the fight spent the rest of it hunched over. It’s a real fight, you don’t lose by ring out, guys!

The 8th Umbral Calamity Urianger describes feels much more momentous than the 7th. It’s not just a big natural calamity, it also ushers in huge sociopolitical changes. Sorry if I’m hung up about this, it’s still weird to compare the 7th UC to all the others.

The term Umbral Light is making me twitch, but I like how it reconfigures the cosmology. It also clarifies that the thinning of aether is a consequence of the events of ShB and not a prelude to Endwalker as I theorized.

This is an excellent showing for Urianger, between his cool new looks, him tricking the fairies into regularly serving him tea and biscuits, giving the WoL a loaded Checkhov gun in the form of more white auracyte, and being afraid of swimming. He’s really getting fleshed out as a core Scion.

By contrast, Thancred is being a lovely dad. His attitude is clearly sending all the wrong messages to this new Minfilia, and her later outburst shows that she picked up on all of it and is devaluing her own individuality by desperately trying to fulfill some sort of mission the original Minfilia might have for her. I’m pretty sure all the original wants is for the new one to forge her own path though.

The lvl 73 dungeon had exactly what I wanted to see in trusts, with Thancred instantly teleporting over the tightrope path the final boss creates while Minfilia barely crosses half of it by the time it disappears, clearly afraid of heights.

It’s fun how the little blessing we got mid-Stormblood means the WoL is now able to permanently breathe underwater, and that this power comes back several times in the story. They could have let that be a gameplay element that never came back into the story, but instead it’s become an addition to our skill set.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

EW PLD is amazing now that it's got some very strong self-sustain. Also big swords. The Holy Sheltron sfx might be one of the coolest in the game. You're just a slab of steel that can pretty much live forever.

EW Paladin is probably the best version yet for "you don't really NEED a healer in dungeons that often." I've had more than one situation where a Sage ate poo poo and then I just proceeded to tank-slash-heal the rest of the party through the entire fight, which was often possible but EW makes it feel extremely good since you have sustain beyond Clemency.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't fair as in "This a good thing to do." It's fair as in "I want to see how this situation would actually play out without us having psychic future knowledge because I need proof that life isn't futile and meaningless." He wants that to be proven. It also has the convenient side effect of erasing his own memory so he doesn't have to acknowledge his crime.

Zone 5 end again

There's the whole thing where all societies are inherently self-destructive (including Amaurot). I can understand how it would be a proper trial for everyone not to know that and see if they can survive on their own merits. But then Hermes turns Meteion into a Weapon of Mass Destruction/Sadness who will attack with an invisible form of energy that nobody knows about that literally destroys all known laws of nature leading to mass confusion and terror. This is seeing a society teetering on the cliff edge then pushing them off and holding their head underwater. Idk, I would prefer if Hermes was just like actually gently caress everything you people don't deserve to live."

The real dope poo poo of this area is hearing from Emet-Selch the whole last expansion about how Amaurot was this perfect enlightened society and everyone was so wonderful and intelligent but literally everyone you meet but him (and Hermes) is a huge goofball just having a fun time. They all instantly love you and think you are a cool little weird gremlin and think all your ideas and thoughts about stuff are rad. Then their whole society collapsed because they didn't invent therapy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

EW Paladin is probably the best version yet for "you don't really NEED a healer in dungeons that often." I've had more than one situation where a Sage ate poo poo and then I just proceeded to tank-slash-heal the rest of the party through the entire fight, which was often possible but EW makes it feel extremely good since you have sustain beyond Clemency.

My one annoyance is that they removed Req boosting Clemency so you can't do like 5 Benes in a row but I'll take it as a sacrifice that needed to be made to get the rest of the toolkit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

escape mechanism posted:

The 8th Umbral Calamity Urianger describes feels much more momentous than the 7th. It’s not just a big natural calamity, it also ushers in huge sociopolitical changes. Sorry if I’m hung up about this, it’s still weird to compare the 7th UC to all the others.

The thing to note about the 7th calamity is (level 73-ish, before first ShB trial) that Louisoix managed to contain the damage. EVERY other Calamity has basically remade the world and forced mankind (in the generic all-races sense) to start from scratch,

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

escape mechanism posted:

Do Coils of Bahamut some time if you can. But from the Eorzean perspective it did completely alter their continent so it was significant enough to call a Calamity.

edit:

Pwnstar posted:

There's the whole thing where all societies are inherently self-destructive (including Amaurot). I can understand how it would be a proper trial for everyone not to know that and see if they can survive on their own merits. But then Hermes turns Meteion into a Weapon of Mass Destruction/Sadness who will attack with an invisible form of energy that nobody knows about that literally destroys all known laws of nature leading to mass confusion and terror. This is seeing a society teetering on the cliff edge then pushing them off and holding their head underwater. Idk, I would prefer if Hermes was just like actually gently caress everything you people don't deserve to live."

Yeah but if he lets people remember the Meteion stuff they can probably stop her before she actually gathers enough steam to be the sort of existential threat Hermes thinks is necessary, which wouldn't really be "fair". It is an extremely bad thing he is doing though.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

The thing to note about the 7th calamity is (level 73-ish, before first ShB trial) that Louisoix managed to contain the damage. EVERY other Calamity has basically remade the world and forced mankind (in the generic all-races sense) to start from scratch,

Yeah, I think it's worth noting that the 7th Calamity was basically the least destructive calamity to date. Each previous one was basically a biblical level disaster that wiped out most civilization. Bahamut "only" created disasters and changed Ishgard into a frozen hellscape and reshaped the land as opposed to "That one time someone literally made an Ark."