Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, when I think "outside the WWE mold" I think "beautiful blonde fitness model"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/GreatBrianLast/status/1470437409686970369

Last ecstatic at somebody setting the bar even lower.

I'm pretty sure Cato the Elder got to talking mad poo poo about Hannibal first, as I assume that must be who this tweet is talking about.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
But weren't people mainly on him before for being a poorly-researched interviewer?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, when I think "outside the WWE mold" I think "beautiful blonde fitness model"

hey gently caress you

she's brunette now

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/WrestleCringe/status/1470588325207719936?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alaois posted:

hey gently caress you

she's brunette now

Why would I watch the show Alaois?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm pretty sure Cato the Elder got to talking mad poo poo about Hannibal first, as I assume that must be who this tweet is talking about.

AEW delenda est

- Brian Last, ~150BC

davius_xw
Aug 23, 2021
WWE fan goes to WWE show, has a lovely time and posts about it on Reddit. The response:

quote:

Eh, I some rebuttals to explain some of your disappointments that honestly you, as a fan, should have known about going into it -

Venue advertising Mysterios vs Street Profits, didn't happen - how do you not know that every show is 'subject to change'. Also, did you know that you can go to the information table and ask for a refund if your favorite star is not wrestling that night? I believe you have to leave once you do this, but you are always allowed to do that. In this case, 2 wrestlers were 'injured', so that's why it didn't happen.
Bianca vs Becky dark match with no stakes - you do realize the only reason for the dark match at all is to usually have the fans 'go home happy' usually with the face winning in a short match. You can't have a dark match for the title or anything like that. It's equivalent of a house show match.
Commercials - I can't fault you there...but think of what you do when you're home and watching...do the commercials give you time to run to the bathroom, hit the concession stand, text someone, eat said food? A lot of times, during commercial, you get to see how WWE operates with their ring crew, bringin a new ref down, or see how the commentators take their breaks. Point being, if you're bored, that's on you, not the show.
Show is 'fake'. Well, it's 'fake' in AEW, ROH, Impact, etc. You seem to have gone to and enjoyed AEW, so you have to understand the models are NOT the same - sure there is buildup in AEW (like MJF vs Punk is a buildup, but neither are wrestling one another...that's probably the closest thing to explain WWE. The biggest guys in WWE usually don't wrestle one another unless they need to advance the storyline. Like, Brock is not going to wrestle Roman, maybe scuffle, but not wrestle until a PPV. AEW clearly doesn't do it that way. Each week, on LIVE tv, they HAVE to have matches because their model is only 4 ppv's a year. So in order to advance the storyline every 3 months, there is 'ppv-worthy' matches given away for free on AEW. WWE doesn't think like this. There's merit in both ways - AEW wants viewership on their tv show, while WWE is aiming at higher volume of ppv buys....which is also why they have more ppvs in general. In today's WWE, it's more about the network and streaming subscriptions (peacock now), but the concept is the same.
Even with WWE's focus 'not on the matches', you still got Riddle vs Otis, Bianca (future of WWE women's divison) vs Doudrop, Lashley vs Owens, scuffle with Liv vs Becky, a tag match with Balor and Priest, Rhea Ripley (another future of WWE women) vs Zelina, Lashley vs Rollins, Edge scuffle with Miz, and Big E vs Lashley. For a show with not a lot of wrestling, that's a lot of wrestling.
It sounds like you bought a ticket thinking you were expecting an AEW show and you got a WWE show.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/rg5m5h/i_tried_raw_tonight_in_person_ringside_and_i_have/hoil1ey/

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why do people feel the need to spend their free time defending WWE's poo poo?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Same reason people defend sports teams and politicians and their favorite frozen pizzas

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Kosmo Gallion posted:

That's what happens when you replace having a personality with fandom.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

davius_xw posted:

WWE fan goes to WWE show, has a lovely time and posts about it on Reddit. The response:

https://old.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/rg5m5h/i_tried_raw_tonight_in_person_ringside_and_i_have/hoil1ey/

The Chris Regal Memorial Bad Takes Thread: Point being, if you're bored, that's on you, not the show.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Its 2021 and people are still spending their free time defending Russo-era WCW

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

1glitch0 posted:

The Chris Regal Memorial Bad Takes Thread: Point being, if you're bored, that's on you, not the show.

How dare you not be entertained watching Corey Graves check his phone?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

There are literally house show matches for the titles all the time!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Man watches Rhea Ripley get beat in 45 seconds and goes "Yup that's definitely someone they're strapping a rocket to"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

1glitch0 posted:

My favorite part of live shows is being able to see when the announcers take their breaks and when a new nameless ref comes to the ring

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I hope they tape a Raw in my town, I would love to see how WWE production works and how they manage to change refs in between matches.

I really hate the view that “Card subject to change” is an excuse to false advertise. It’s really intended for circumstances beyond the promoters control. I am not sure if there were injuries in this case but if not, then it’s lovely to promote a match that you don’t intend to deliver.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I hope they tape a Raw in my town, I would love to see how WWE production works and how they manage to change refs in between matches.

I really hate the view that “Card subject to change” is an excuse to false advertise. It’s really intended for circumstances beyond the promoters control. I am not sure if there were injuries in this case but if not, then it’s lovely to promote a match that you don’t intend to deliver.

In this case it makes sense but WWE has definitely advertised matches/appearances they definitely knew were never going to happen. The whole build to Bianca getting squashed by Becky was WWE advertising a match with Sasha Banks despite knowing for like a full month in advance she wouldn't be there.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Lid posted:

Its 2021 and people are still spending their free time defending Russo-era WCW

Russo-era WCW was so much more entertaining than anything WWE has done in the last 5 years

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What a loving demented thing to think and then put on the internet

https://twitter.com/WrestleCringe/status/1470547116661612553

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Ganso Bomb posted:

What a loving demented thing to think and then put on the internet

https://twitter.com/WrestleCringe/status/1470547116661612553

https://youtu.be/VOaGRkQ_350

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I appreciate that this isn't the usual flavor of bad take for this thread. This guy isn't expressing a horrible view or justifying something gross/bad. It's fine if you like Mandy Rose, hell there might even be some point in comparing her to The Miz (I dunno because I don't watch WWE)

But saying Mandy Rose 'doesn't fit the mould' for WWE is like the purest wrong statement. It's just false. It's not coming from a broken worldview or defensiveness or any other psychological flaw. It's simply not true.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I remember reading for a while that the policy of not giving the women last names was to make them seem more “available”. Nowadays half the men don’t have last names either though, so who knows.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

this seems like a good opportunity to post nxt superstar Elektra Lopez's husband lol

those weird stans that reply to every to Sasha Banks or Alexa Bliss tweet have the game all wrong: the true way to a woman's heart is to be an old hotdog-skinned chud

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Why do they always look like muscley toddlers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

D.N. Nation posted:

Why do they always look like muscley toddlers.

Prussia marched all the tall ones into a ditch and got them shot.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
chuuuuuuuuudzzzzzzz

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

"she has no ego and does everything that she's told" made a weird chill go up my spine, just a creepy, NPC rear end take to have.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

coconono posted:

Prussia marched all the tall ones into a ditch and got them shot.

lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dsriggs posted:

AEW delenda est

- Brian Last, ~150BC

Only thing that would make it more perfect would be if he made a forum* post saying this when everybody there was talking about, I don't know, problems with getting wine stains out of togas

* A literal, actual forum.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If only it wasn't for that darned Board of Directors! If not for them holding back Vince, we'd have unscripted promos in WWE!

https://twitter.com/Machobeard4life/status/1470801471465824258?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheColdBoneShow/status/1470825509810491398?s=20

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Wrestling sucks now because fans aren't bringing guns to the arenas so they can literally murder the bad guys in cold blood

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Best Heel thing is completely untrue, Rude actually did win Best Heel in the Observer in 1992, and I doubt this guy would say Rude, Piper, DiBiase, Flair, or Vader are lesser as heels for having won that award.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I Before E posted:

The Best Heel thing is completely untrue, Rude actually did win Best Heel in the Observer in 1992, and I doubt this guy would say Rude, Piper, DiBiase, Flair, or Vader are lesser as heels for having won that award.

i think this guy would call the observer a dirt sheet and dismiss it off hand

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Davros1 posted:

If only it wasn't for that darned Board of Directors! If not for them holding back Vince, we'd have unscripted promos in WWE!

https://twitter.com/Machobeard4life/status/1470801471465824258?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheColdBoneShow/status/1470825509810491398?s=20

lmao the investment bankers on the earnings calls probably don't even know who roman reigns is, they don't give a single gently caress about what's going on in the product

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i do think that scripting promos exist in part because of corporate branding. you don't want anyone saying something that could hurt the brand, but i also think that even if vince had zero oversight, we'd still have scripted promos because he's a control freak

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Smoking Crow posted:

i do think that scripting promos exist in part because of corporate branding. you don't want anyone saying something that could hurt the brand, but i also think that even if vince had zero oversight, we'd still have scripted promos because he's a control freak

they script jokes about dismembership shortly after they went to saudi arabia to do propaganda which was shortly after kashoggi was murdered. they employ multiple rapists and put people in tv main events on smackdown the same week they get a dui. there are zero consequences for anything they do because absolutely no one pays attention to whats happening on wwe shows and no one gives a gently caress what they're doing, especially the investors, as long as they're pulling in money. its scripted because vince is a control freak there's no other reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Apparently that dude didn't see the promo MJF cut on Brian Pillman