Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

jisforjosh posted:

When UPC codes first came out there was a moral panic on the Christian Right about the "mark of the beast" and it being needed to buy and sell. The "guard bars", the three pairs of longer bars at the beginning, middle, and end of the bar code, were claimed to be 6s and the religious folk ate it up lol

it's really funny how every new thing is The Mark Of The Beast to these cranks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

one time I made fun of the paint job on some wire management assembly I was using and the guy I was working with quietly informed me they were made by mentally disabled people

I used to buy material for my employer from a workshop employing mentally disabled people (I'm not a doctor but I took the same bus to work as it was on the way, and I'm fairly confident in my unofficial diagnosis. One of them used to always wake me up at their stop and shout "HERÄÄ HERÄÄ, HÖLMÖLÄSSÄ OLLAAN!"* because I guess he thought I worked there too), and the paint job on everything was always immaculate. The numbers were always wrong but the paint was great.

Then the workshop disappeared so now my colleague orders the same stuff from India, and the paintjob is always complete poo poo. Moral of the story? IDK.

*) "WAKE UP WAKE UP, WE'RE IN DUMBVILLE!"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Ron Paul having a stroke on live internet television

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Quebec Bagnet posted:

United States craft-goods chain store Hobby Lobby purchased looted ancient artifacts from the Islamic State

also they were fake so they were just supporting IS for no real gain

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The best and worst thing about evangelicals is that they’re all complete and total credulous rubes

The founders of Seventh Day Adventism put a specific date to the end of the world, that day came and went, and the congregation just... kept showing up to put money in the plate.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
They now run one of the biggest health systems in the country!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

it's really funny how every new thing is The Mark Of The Beast to these cranks

Is The Mark Of The Beast part of the bible or is it expanded universe content?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Mark/Number The Beast is from the Book of Revelation

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

It comes from the Book of Revelation, Chapter 13:

(The first part doesn't have the relevant stuff so just skip the italics if you don't feel like reading it all)

quote:

And I saw a beast rising out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads; and on its horns were ten diadems, and on its heads were blasphemous names. 2 And the beast that I saw was like a leopard, its feet were like a bear’s, and its mouth was like a lion’s mouth. And the dragon gave it his power and his throne and great authority. 3 One of its heads seemed to have received a death-blow, but its mortal wound[a] had been healed. In amazement the whole earth followed the beast. 4 They worshiped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?”

5 The beast was given a mouth uttering haughty and blasphemous words, and it was allowed to exercise authority for forty-two months. 6 It opened its mouth to utter blasphemies against God, blaspheming his name and his dwelling, that is, those who dwell in heaven. 7 Also it was allowed to make war on the saints and to conquer them.t was given authority over every tribe and people and language and nation, 8 and all the inhabitants of the earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb that was slaughtered.[c]

9 Let anyone who has an ear listen:

10 If you are to be taken captive,
into captivity you go;
if you kill with the sword,
with the sword you must be killed.

Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.

The Second Beast

11 Then I saw another beast that rose out of the earth; it had two horns like a lamb and it spoke like a dragon. 12 It exercises all the authority of the first beast on its behalf, and it makes the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose mortal wound[d] had been healed. 13 It performs great signs, even making fire come down from heaven to earth in the sight of all; 14 and by the signs that it is allowed to perform on behalf of the beast, it deceives the inhabitants of earth, telling them to make an image for the beast that had been wounded by the sword[e] and yet lived; 15 and it was allowed to give breath[f] to the image of the beast so that the image of the beast could even speak and cause those who would not worship the image of the beast to be killed. 16 Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, 17 so that no one can buy or sell who does not have the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. 18 This calls for wisdom: let anyone with understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a person. Its number is six hundred sixty-six.[g]

Who or what the beasts are is stuff denominations argue about in addition to whether or not Revelation is meant to be a book foretelling the future or whether it's just supposed to be invoking apocalyptic imagery to explain why states are rear end and why the world is hosed until One Day God comes down, unfucks it, and everybody gets what they deserve one way or the other.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It’s a legitimate pretty metal thing from Revelations but they interpret it in the lamest way they can.

quote:

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Oooh yeah, we have this sweet prophesy about people having to get satanic marks which could be idk tattoos or brandings or all kinds of horrific stuff that’ll terrify people. Let’s make it about bar codes

Benagain posted:

They now run one of the biggest health systems in the country!

loving owns

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkliinjFeA8

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

I read that as "Is The Mark Of The Beast the best part of the Bible?"

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the best part about the wackos freaking out about The Number of the Beast is that they usually consider themselves biblical literalists, except for that specific part which they instead think is a vague metaphor warning about bar codes or driver’s licenses or basically any person or organization whose name can in any way be related to the number 6, no matter how tenuously

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mister Bates posted:

the best part about the wackos freaking out about The Number of the Beast is that they usually consider themselves biblical literalists, except for that specific part which they instead think is a vague metaphor warning about bar codes or driver’s licenses or basically any person or organization whose name can in any way be related to the number 6, no matter how tenuously

they also think the number of the beast is 666 lol

according to a bunch of translations, its actually 616

But then every translation that isn't the King James is heresy :commissar:

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Dec 15, 2021

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I know people irl who think the covid vaccine is the mark of the beast. Not any of the other vaccines from the last century, mind you, just the covid one

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

chaleski posted:

I know people irl who think the covid vaccine is the mark of the beast. Not any of the other vaccines from the last century, mind you, just the covid one

Same. Pensacola is weird.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Feldegast42 posted:

wtf have I found

Christ almighty

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

The founders of Seventh Day Adventism put a specific date to the end of the world, that day came and went, and the congregation just... kept showing up to put money in the plate.

Is that the one where after several failed doomsdays the leadership was like, "God was so impressed by our faith He decided to spare the world as long as we keep our cult going!"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Jehovah’s Witnesses have had so many failed doomsdays they’ve stopped giving a date.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Seems like it would be easier to form a cult around your rock that keeps tigers away rather than predicting that the tigers are inevitable and being constantly humiliated.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Seems like it would be easier to form a cult around your rock that keeps tigers away rather than predicting that the tigers are inevitable and being constantly humiliated.

Logically yes but logic isn't the big driver of religion. Urgency and fear are much bigger motivations for people to do poo poo (like say, donate to your hookers and blow church fund). Also see people's reactions whenever people/groups/governments take intelligent and necessary precautions and thus (possibly/likely) avert disaster. Like say, flu vaccines or the Y2K bug.

People aren't impressed when you keep away actually existing tigers, let alone imaginary ones. But you can cry wolf an apparently endless amount of times and at least some people will continue to take you very, very seriously. Because there might be a wolf and that's dangerous.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 11:16 on Dec 15, 2021

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Trup got filled with so many rare occult covid treatments that he thought he was invincible

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

A reminder that the KJV was specifically made because the Vatican was going to excommunicate King James for having too much gay sex so he gave them a new translation as a bribe.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

Trup got filled with so many rare occult covid treatments that he thought he was invincible

so high on drugs he offered to kiss all the men in the crowd

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Imagine the kind of gutless worm staffer who talked him out of going out on the balcony and ripping his shirt off Hulk Hogan style to reveal a superman logo underneath

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

RIP

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

A reminder that the KJV was specifically made because the Vatican was going to excommunicate King James for having too much gay sex so he gave them a new translation as a bribe.

Is this true? Wasn’t James a Protestant so why would he care about excommunication and didn’t the Catholic Church oppose translating the Bible out of Latin?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Is this true? Wasn’t James a Protestant so why would he care about excommunication and didn’t the Catholic Church oppose translating the Bible out of Latin?

Yeah the KJV came about after the Anglican split

I mean that split came about because Henry VIII wanted to divorce his wife because she wasn't producing heirs for him which is its own funny politics thing

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Dec 15, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Orange Devil posted:

Jehovah’s Witnesses have had so many failed doomsdays they’ve stopped giving a date.

They're also second only to the Catholic church when it comes to raping children and covering it up. Literally tens of thousands of cases.

Not so much "funny" but it's amazing how no one cared.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They're also second only to the Catholic church when it comes to raping children and covering it up. Literally tens of thousands of cases.

Not so much "funny" but it's amazing how no one cared.

I know, one of my neighbours who was also my classmate for 12 years converted and it still breaks my brain a little bit.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erfurt_latrine_disaster

quote:

In July 1184, Henry VI, King of Germany (later Holy Roman Emperor), held court at a Hoftag in the Petersberg Citadel in Erfurt. On the morning of 26 July, the combined weight of the assembled nobles caused the wooden second story floor of the Peterskirche to collapse and most of them fell through into the latrine cesspit below the ground floor, where about 60 of them drowned in liquid excrement. This event is called Erfurter Latrinensturz (lit. 'Erfurt latrine fall') in several German sources

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

60 nobles drowned in poo poo? sounds like it should be called the Erfurt latrine Miracle

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah the KJV came about after the Anglican split

I mean that split came about because Henry VIII wanted to divorce his wife because she wasn't producing heirs for him which is its own funny politics thing

Oh the Catholic part is apparently me falling for it, but he was definitely gay as gently caress https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_VI_and_I#Personal_relationships

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Democrat Party (epithet)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"HERÄÄ HERÄÄ, HÖLMÖLÄSSÄ OLLAAN!"

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

12/14 never forget

https://mobile.twitter.com/democracynow/status/1470760487876972553

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
What was the get out the vote stuff to Hispanic voters used for the Hillary campaign again? The cringe one

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

abuela?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Thanks much!