Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Is AI Slack still a thing and if so may I have an invitation?

Leeloo says hi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Raluek posted:

stupid question: is this a common opinion? i usually hold up the VQ35/37 as being an excellent example of how terrible V6s tend to sound, since i think they sound even worse than most. nobody has corrected me yet, but maybe they're just too polite to point out that it's a bad and wrong opinion.

I always thought they sounded good (stock at least) but do recognize many feel the opposite.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

stupid question: is this a common opinion? i usually hold up the VQ35/37 as being an excellent example of how terrible V6s tend to sound, since i think they sound even worse than most. nobody has corrected me yet, but maybe they're just too polite to point out that it's a bad and wrong opinion.

I'm on your side. I've always thought that the VQ sounds like absolute rear end.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I am nearing the end of my 2009 Toyota Matrix saga.
Turns out the head gasket is hosed, so compression in cyls 3-4 is way low. I think this repair is beyond my skills (and my wife might put her foot down at my automotive self-education for this one since it's her car), and the shop's estimate is $2900-3500 depending on condition of cyl 3-4 valves and other stuff. At ~157,000 miles, the cost of this repair is approaching the value of the car, based on a quick and dirty KBB figure. I've just spent a lot of time and a little money doing new struts, brakes, coils, and plugs, for which I'm pretty irritated now. The shop inspection says that other than this one massive problem plus the need for an ATF flush, everything is in great shape. When the car warms up, the misfire goes away and it runs fine, but a problem like this seems to be a major failure waiting to happen at a bad time.

So what do I do now?

1.) Try to get a dealership to buy it as is? If I disclosed the head gasket problem, I assume they'd just say "lol no thanks."
2.) Fix it and try to sell it? Seems like if I pay for the repair, the sale price of the car would just put me at zero.
3.) I've got USAA insurance, and they do a guaranteed price thing, should I sell it to them? I got about $2100 for my 98 Ford Ranger in decent condition about 4 years ago.
4.) Get it fixed and just keep driving it? I wanted to get it to about 200,000 until my family gets its finances back together and then get a new car. Seems like after this gets fixed we'd be pretty good for quite a while. When it's not being repaired, it's a great car and cheap to own and drive.

I'll probably try to get quotes for selling it in a couple different ways just so I have a little better idea of its potential value.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Call other shops and get quotes for head gasket replacement on your car. That estimate sounds far too high. I'd expect to pay $1500 or so.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Generally I'm in favor of making that repair. If the car is in otherwise good condition, and you can reasonably expect to get at least 18 more months out of it after the repair, I say go for it. You would probably get another 3 to 4 years out of the car if you fix it.

Replacing the car is going to be expensive in this messed up used car market right now.

What's the price breakdown from the shop? I'm guessing if they're doing the headgasket they're going to be replacing a bunch of other stuff while they are in there. I'm not familiar with that engine, but I would guess all the seals, water pump, timing set, etc would be swapped out with new parts as well.

Do you plan on replacing the car if you get rid of it? If so, with what?

I rather repair an otherwise known good car I have a history with, rather than buying something used and rolling the dice on it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

We want to get a cuv, and like the RAV4, CRV, and CX5. But that’s in down the road for when we’re financially sound again (wife is in school, single income at the moment). The plan was for the next car to be long term, so low mileage and recently made, hybrid if possible.

The price breakdown includes oil, atf, timing adjustment, and possible cleaning, polishing, and valve work at the high end. Labor is $2400, I think, I don’t have the quote in front of me. I haven’t gotten competing estimates for this repair specifically, but I’ve cross-shopped other big auto repairs in my town over the years and labor cost is almost always within a couple hundred bucks regardless of the job.

e: I got basically the same estimate from another well-regraded shop in town.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 14, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When buying a new car, is there generally much of any negotiating space on the "internet price"?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

skipdogg posted:

Generally I'm in favor of making that repair. If the car is in otherwise good condition, and you can reasonably expect to get at least 18 more months out of it after the repair, I say go for it. You would probably get another 3 to 4 years out of the car if you fix it.

Replacing the car is going to be expensive in this messed up used car market right now.

What's the price breakdown from the shop? I'm guessing if they're doing the headgasket they're going to be replacing a bunch of other stuff while they are in there. I'm not familiar with that engine, but I would guess all the seals, water pump, timing set, etc would be swapped out with new parts as well.

Do you plan on replacing the car if you get rid of it? If so, with what?

I rather repair an otherwise known good car I have a history with, rather than buying something used and rolling the dice on it.

Worst case labor is $2441, worst case parts list comes to $1049. Both those values include machining the head at $450, which is the biggest single line item. Other stuff is as follows:
-gasket - $337
-head bolts - $108
-oil change - $50ish
-coolant - $15
-timing chain tension - $47
-thermostat - $47

They quoted me $2900 if there's no head machining or valve replacement, so labor doesn't seem to vary much.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When buying a new car, is there generally much of any negotiating space on the "internet price"?

Right now, a.k.a. the worst time in recent history to purchase a car, unless they are completely gouging you or it's a brand nobody wants there's going to be little room for negotiation considering how low inventories are. If you don't take the deal the next person surely will.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Worst case labor is $2441, worst case parts list comes to $1049. Both those values include machining the head at $450, which is the biggest single line item. Other stuff is as follows:
-gasket - $337
-head bolts - $108
-oil change - $50ish
-coolant - $15
-timing chain tension - $47
-thermostat - $47

They quoted me $2900 if there's no head machining or valve replacement, so labor doesn't seem to vary much.

Honestly make some calls to wreckers and see how much a replacement engine would be, it's a lot easier and will be far less labour. You need the wrecker to have a gaurantee that the engine works and ideally they could tell you when the timing belt etc was done.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Right now, a.k.a. the worst time in recent history to purchase a car, unless they are completely gouging you or it's a brand nobody wants there's going to be little room for negotiation considering how low inventories are. If you don't take the deal the next person surely will.

Thanks for the perspective, that's helpful. They're offering $3k above MSRP for a Nissan Leaf. And yeah, I'd rather not be buying a car right now. But my current car is 18 years old, and is starting to get pretty unpleasant to drive. Carvana offered me $400 for it :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thanks for the perspective, that's helpful. They're offering $3k above MSRP for a Nissan Leaf. And yeah, I'd rather not be buying a car right now. But my current car is 18 years old, and is starting to get pretty unpleasant to drive. Carvana offered me $400 for it :v:

$3k over MRSP out the door? Or what other surcharges will they be adding? Please tell me your $7500 federal tax rebate isn't part of that price.

E: also, please remember that Nissan is not a car company. They are a high risk credit retail lending institution that happens to sell cars.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
3k over plus taxes and DMV fees, so the actual out of pocket would probably be in the 40k range. And I'm planning to pay straight up, no financing.

I'll make sure the rebate is not part of that number.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And I'm planning to pay straight up, no financing.

You should get a price for financing it. That's where they make their money.

Then pay it off a month later.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Noted, thank you!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

3k over plus taxes and DMV fees, so the actual out of pocket would probably be in the 40k range. And I'm planning to pay straight up, no financing.

I'll make sure the rebate is not part of that number.

that sounds awful. Do not pay that much for a LEAF, it’s a decade-old car with a bunch of problems—including some that can bork the battery if you aren’t careful.

Please go to the EV thread, they will set you straight there on what to buy (probably a Model 3 or a plug in hybrid of some sort if you want something right now ~$40k. But both will be much, much better ownership experiences than a LEAF. Do not get a LEAF, its resale value will plummet and you will want to resell it in five years when literally every other EV on the road outclasses it bigly.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 14, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get a Mach-E GT

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
please do not pay more than $20k for a LEAF in 2021/2022. Please do not buy a LEAF brand new. You will take a big bath on a car with a small range.

The only less sensible EV buy I can think of is the ten ppl who paid $60k for a brand new i3 in 2019.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 14, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
With respect, I have to work within what is available and what I'm willing to pay. I don't need lots of range, I am categorically not getting a Tesla of any kind, and used EVs cannot be had for love or money. I have done a reasonable amount of research, and while I won't pretend that this is the perfect vehicle, it's the best I've found.

"Just buy a different car that costs 15k+ more" is not a good answer

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Buy a Bolt instead.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

With respect, I have to work within what is available and what I'm willing to pay. I don't need lots of range, I am categorically not getting a Tesla of any kind, and used EVs cannot be had for love or money. I have done a reasonable amount of research, and while I won't pretend that this is the perfect vehicle, it's the best I've found.

"Just buy a different car that costs 15k+ more" is not a good answer

go to the EV thread and tell them that you plan to buy a LEAF for $40 thousand cash. I’ve said my piece. If you want to take a $20k bath on a car that will experience battery degradation if you leave it plugged in for too long then that’s your prerogative.

If the EV you want isn’t available yet and you need a car right now, there isn’t any shame in driving something hybrid-powered or ICE-powered for 2-3 years and then flipping it/trading it in on your next 20 year car.

You can get a clean Prius or Civic from 2010-2015 for $10k, you’ll get excellent fuel economy and reliability, and in two years you can sell it for $7k when Hyundai Group, VAG, etc really start to ship their EVs. I would much rather be selling/trading in a Civic in 2023-beyond than a LEAF.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Buy a Bolt instead.

This, or the 10-15k used market for a few years. Do not buy a Leaf.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Have you seen if the Kia Soul EV (used) is available in your area? I'm still seeing an OK inventory on Autotempest and not terrible prices. They're better than a Leaf (marginally) and most people don't consider them when thinking of EVs. They were only sold in certain states and I would not advise one if it has to sit out the heat, but that problem is even worse with a Leaf. 2015-2017 have a 93 mile rated range highway and 2018-2019 111 miles. Quite a bit more city

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

go to the EV thread and tell them that you plan to buy a LEAF for $40 thousand cash. I’ve said my piece. If you want to take a $20k bath on a car that will experience battery degradation if you leave it plugged in for too long then that’s your prerogative.
Oh believe me, I spent a lot of time watching the EV thread. The complaints I saw about the Leaf's battery aren't to be discounted, but the alternates on offer are not compelling for a variety of reasons. And frankly, I had trouble disentangling the tech-happy accelerationists (who didn't like the Leaf because it's a boring car) from the people with legitimate complaints.

Also remember the rebates. The rebated price is a Leaf is about 13k lower...but only if you buy new.

Edit: Kia and Hyundai are hard to get new in my area. I'm extremely leery of the used market because I can't help worrying that most of the used cars, at this point, are lemons. Thr market is in a very weird period right now.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 14, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oh believe me, I spent a lot of time watching the EV thread. The complaints I saw about the Leaf's battery aren't to be discounted, but the alternates on offer are not compelling for a variety of reasons. And frankly, I had trouble disentangling the tech-happy accelerationists (who didn't like the Leaf because it's a boring car) from the people with legitimate complaints.

Also remember the rebates. The rebated price is a Leaf is about 13k lower...but only if you buy new.

Edit: Kia and Hyundai are hard to get new in my area. I'm extremely leery of the used market because I can't help worrying that most of the used cars, at this point, are lemons. Thr market is in a very weird period right now.

Get a used i3 for <$20 grand :getin:, otherwise I seriously encourage you to just get a used hybrid or ICE car and wait it out for another 2-3 years.

I don’t think you need to worry about being stuck with a lemon because of what the market is doing right now. A lot of people are taking advantage of crazy trade in offers, switching to EV, selling their car to Carvana, etc so there is a supply of used cars trickling in, it’s not just like exclusively the dregs or anything like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The degradation of a battery on a Leaf is a real concern but it also depends on your climate and / or can keep it in a modestly temperature stable garage.

Edit: also it does poorly on the small overlap crash test, but not everybody cares about that.

Edit 2: it's also a problem on the Soul but it at least will use a dedicated fan for cooling and can use the cabin air to cool the battery. Also it has a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the battery.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Or if it just exists in a place that's too hot, plugged in or not!

I literally would have already owned a Leaf by now if their battery degradation was not so awful - but between that and the fact that I couldn't charge at the office, I couldn't guarantee that a Leaf would have enough range for my commute by the end of a three year lease. They're a perfectly competent car otherwise, as is the Bolt, and as are most other non-Tesla cars occupying the low end of the EV market.

Bolts have the whole "oops might possibly ignite" problem but literally every Bolt is getting a new battery to account for that. There also haven't been any major reports of degradation, and they have far more range to begin with anyway.

This feels like you're leaning way too hard on the value of the rebate, and not enough on the actual value of the car whether or not the feds and state are paying for part of it. Paying $27k for a Leaf is not getting a great deal on a "$40k car", it's getting a list-price deal on a car that has managed to sell so poorly over 11 years that Nissans still qualify for the federal tax rebate that both GM and Tesla long since sold out of.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, I have my car back from its oil change followup, they actually did a really good job cleaning the mess and the replaced parts look great.

But. :lol:

Apparently somewhere along the line, something caused my tire pressure monitor to stop reporting any of the tires? Lol, come on. Can I fix this by some process at home? I really don’t feel like going back again. :downsgun:

This is on the ‘21 Ascent. Each tire just shows the --- as if it hasn’t read any data yet, but it’s still doing that after driving all the way home.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, I have my car back from its oil change followup, they actually did a really good job cleaning the mess and the replaced parts look great.

But. :lol:

Apparently somewhere along the line, something caused my tire pressure monitor to stop reporting any of the tires? Lol, come on. Can I fix this by some process at home? I really don’t feel like going back again. :downsgun:

This is on the ‘21 Ascent. Each tire just shows the --- as if it hasn’t read any data yet, but it’s still doing that after driving all the way home.

So they probably disconnected the battery when they were doing all that. The TPMS disconnect is maybe related? I dunno! I'd be calling them and asking about it.

e: The second you start doing any of this yourself is when they'll start playing the card about how it must be your fault for xyz issue. I'd try to get them to do absolutely everything or at least get their instructions.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I get that, I was just hoping there was a simple reset I could trigger instead of 30 minutes of driving each way just to have them hit the reset for me. Sigh.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I get that, I was just hoping there was a simple reset I could trigger instead of 30 minutes of driving each way just to have them hit the reset for me. Sigh.

From google:

"With the vehicle off, turn the key to the “on” position, but don’t start the car. Hold the TPMS reset button until the tire pressure light blinks three times, then release it. Start the car and wait 20 minutes for the sensor to refresh. The TPMS reset button is usually located beneath the steering wheel. If you are unable to find it, refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual."

Maybe see if you have one of those buttons?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, saw that on Google as well but it’s not that it’s telling me I have a flat, it’s just reporting nothing…and no such button seems to exist. :haw:

Ah well, I’ll just call them in the morning and ask. Grumble grumble.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If experience has taught me anything, it’s going to start working again on the drive to the dealership and then quit again on the drive home.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well…that’d save me the wait while they reset it for me 🤣

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid - blows cold air at stoplights, warm when moving with ICE on.

I haven't actually looked at it yet but I'm not familiar enough with the hybrid system to know if there's anything unique like a resistive heater element I should look for in my troubleshooting.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, saw that on Google as well but it’s not that it’s telling me I have a flat, it’s just reporting nothing…and no such button seems to exist. :haw:

Ah well, I’ll just call them in the morning and ask. Grumble grumble.

Subarus don't seem to have that setting, but any tire shop can fix it

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, happily enough, it kicked back in this morning while dropping the kids off at school. I’m just surprised it took, like, 20 miles of driving to make it happen, but I guess now future me knows it takes longer after a (probable) battery disconnect.

All good!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any brands of combination strut/spring that aren't garbage? Not for performance use, just for a Camry so it's easier for DIY and doesn't involve me telling someone else to use a spring compressor. The car is also at like 170k miles and 13 years so there's probably a bit of sagging in the springs so it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any brands of combination strut/spring that aren't garbage? Not for performance use, just for a Camry so it's easier for DIY and doesn't involve me telling someone else to use a spring compressor. The car is also at like 170k miles and 13 years so there's probably a bit of sagging in the springs so it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

What year is the Camry? I wanna check Rockauto and see what they offer.
Edit I punched in 2009 and they at least have Monroe and KYB, established brands.

I think STR has done combos before, maybe he can chime in.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 15, 2021