Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bruceski posted:

The thing to note about the 7th calamity is (level 73-ish, before first ShB trial) that Louisoix managed to contain the damage. EVERY other Calamity has basically remade the world and forced mankind (in the generic all-races sense) to start from scratch,

Yep this is exactly it. Ironically I think that this caused the Ascians to get too greedy. Oh boy we can get two rejoinings done basically back to back! Only without a destroyed world, everyone remembered their poo poo and were much more prepared to work against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The blm 90 AF has really grown on me. I do miss the casting sets like yafaemi or the WoD set. 70 AF was also really cool. Guess I like big witchy hats

it makes me sad you can only dye the cuffs and not the nails

also I have been maining BLM since I started, since HW when they got Fire 4 I feel like BLM is just really fun to play. all the hits are so huge and hearing a Flare go off is the best. my only complaint, which I have had since the very first time I saw it, is that the visual and sound effects for Despair suck and they need to make it more explodey

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Btw if you are getting hit hard emotionally by some parts of the MSQ do the sidequests around those areas.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

e: ^^^ A very well timed post made while I was typing mine.

Man the story this time around is giving me emotional whiplash.

Going from cute rabbits to Urianger having one of the saddest (but also best) moments so far just wrecked me last night.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Btw if you are getting hit hard emotionally by some parts of the MSQ do the sidequests around those areas.

I would recommend Doll Dash in Old Sharlayan and (I think Level 88?) Sandwiches and Pretzels also in Old Sharlayan.

Most of the aether current questlines are good too.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 15, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Have the devs said anything about improvements to the queuing situation, at least for stability? I'm getting pretty sick of coming home from work just so I can wait 3 hours in a queue and play for 30 minutes before I need to go to sleep.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Trying not to spoil anything, but the zone you're in around 86-87 is so drat boring. Back and forth between flowers for the last 5 hours. story is great, quests are terrible so far.

Just that zone I mean. I've loved everything else and couldn't stop playing. But the last two nights here ooof I log out early and play switch

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Have the devs said anything about improvements to the queuing situation, at least for stability? I'm getting pretty sick of coming home from work just so I can wait 3 hours in a queue and play for 30 minutes before I need to go to sleep.

Nothing further's coming down the pipeline, in all likelihood. Addressing the remaining 2002 errors in queue would probably require fundamental rewrites to their login backend, and it's probably not worth the programming/QA time to implement immediately. I assume they're expecting for typical trends to take hold and for queues to slowly ease through natural player diffusion, and there's some signs this is taking place: aside from the expected weekend spikes, peak players during the weekday have been slowly but consistently dropping on Steam Charts, with only a peak of 78k today (versus the 95k on early access launch). I would expect that either this week or next week will see queues stabilize, though I expect they'll still be in the 1-2k range for prime time.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
my summoner seems to have lost half her buttons, i'm only 67 though. does the class work at this level? I'm not even sure how to play it anymore with all that poo poo gone

Vermain posted:

Nothing further's coming down the pipeline, in all likelihood. Addressing the remaining 2002 errors in queue would probably require fundamental rewrites to their login backend, and it's probably not worth the programming/QA time to implement immediately. I assume they're expecting for typical trends to take hold and for queues to slowly ease through natural player diffusion, and there's some signs this is taking place: aside from the expected weekend spikes, peak players during the weekday have been slowly but consistently dropping on Steam Charts, with only a peak of 78k today (versus the 95k on early access launch). I would expect that either this week or next week will see queues stabilize, though I expect they'll still be in the 1-2k range for prime time.

i am half expecting it to get worse during the holiday weekend(s)

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Tabletops posted:

my summoner seems to have lost half her buttons, i'm only 67 though. does the class work at this level? I'm not even sure how to play it anymore with all that poo poo gone

Your Energy Siphon / fester just works and doesn't need dots
You have no dots BTW.
You hard cast ruin 1/2/3
You get 1 Ruin 4 every minute from Energy Siphon. this is either for the raw potency buff (Replace a Ruin 3) or for the free movement (Its instant cast)

You Demi Summon every minute (Well for you its Dreadwyrm Trance). You press the button that does the Akh Morn. And then once that's over you get your legos.

Your legos let you summon Ruby/Topaz/Emerald for big damage. You'll want to hit all three.

Ruby is slow cast (Full 2.5s GCD cast). Topaz is insta cast movement. Emerald is insta cast wildfire. These three phases are interchangeable and there's no worry about losing dps switching one or the other.

Once you're done with those you'll do a few Ruin 3 casts until Demi Summon/Dreadwyrm Trance is up and repeat.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Summoner is significantly less complicated than it used to be, but it functions just fine at that level. Just summon bahamut, make sure to Enkindle and use Deathflare during Bahamut's summon, then summon an egi, use that gem version of your single target/AoE spell where applicable, then repeat twice.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tabletops posted:

i am half expecting it to get worse during the holiday weekend(s)

It's hard to tell, honestly. Engagement usually drops off rapidly after people've finished up the MSQ and done the easier post-MSQ content like the new expert dungeons, which is why they keep up a consistent 3-month patch cycle and have a mini-patch at the 1.5 month mark to try and draw people back in for a bit.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

:suicide:

I am loving crushed. 90002 halfway through the 89 dungeon into a 5569 person queue. People can talk about how understandable and reasonable it is for the technological state of the world, but nothing will ever fix how much this has stained my initial impression of this particular dungeon just due to how gutted I feel in this moment that now I have to wait until straight up tomorrow or longer to finish a dungeon I was halfway done. Worst part is?

Wired connection and Connection: Excellent my aetherically-charged tail.

Just middle of the ramp up to big ending plot stuff and get shot right in the gut with a "come back tomorrow" like I ran out of tokens at the arcade

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jade Mage posted:

:suicide:

I am loving crushed. 90002 halfway through the 89 dungeon into a 5569 person queue. People can talk about how understandable and reasonable it is for the technological state of the world, but nothing will ever fix how much this has stained my initial impression of this particular dungeon just due to how gutted I feel in this moment that now I have to wait until straight up tomorrow or longer to finish a dungeon I was halfway done. Worst part is?

Wired connection and Connection: Excellent my aetherically-charged tail.

Now imagine if you were homeless

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I'd like to think my post was fairly reasonable complaint wise. It's not that they did anything wrong, but it also really hurts the delivery. I even limited the comment to this particular dungeon experience.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jade Mage posted:

I'd like to think my post was fairly reasonable complaint wise. It's not that they did anything wrong, but it also really hurts the delivery. I even limited the comment to this particular dungeon experience.

You'll live. The homeless won't.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jade Mage posted:

I think it's a completely reasonable complaint, and I'd be deeply frustrated in the same situation.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Barreft posted:

You'll live. The homeless won't.
Your posts are giving me AIDS though so we'll see if I make it

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Fiye posted:

Your Energy Siphon / fester just works and doesn't need dots
You have no dots BTW.
You hard cast ruin 1/2/3
You get 1 Ruin 4 every minute from Energy Siphon. this is either for the raw potency buff (Replace a Ruin 3) or for the free movement (Its instant cast)

You Demi Summon every minute (Well for you its Dreadwyrm Trance). You press the button that does the Akh Morn. And then once that's over you get your legos.

Your legos let you summon Ruby/Topaz/Emerald for big damage. You'll want to hit all three.

Ruby is slow cast (Full 2.5s GCD cast). Topaz is insta cast movement. Emerald is insta cast wildfire. These three phases are interchangeable and there's no worry about losing dps switching one or the other.

Once you're done with those you'll do a few Ruin 3 casts until Demi Summon/Dreadwyrm Trance is up and repeat.
thanks! I'll try to figre it out whenever i can play lol

Vermain posted:

It's hard to tell, honestly. Engagement usually drops off rapidly after people've finished up the MSQ and done the easier post-MSQ content like the new expert dungeons, which is why they keep up a consistent 3-month patch cycle and have a mini-patch at the 1.5 month mark to try and draw people back in for a bit.

yeah, no idea what the backlog for msq for the majority given the queues and people not being able to progress much during prime time. I have no idea what the playerbase of ffxiv is in terms of age groups, i assume it skews older like all mmos these days

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 15, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tabletops posted:

yeah, no idea what the backlog for msq for the majority given the queues and people not being able to progress much during prime time. I have no idea what the playerbase of ffxiv is in terms of age groups, i assume it skews older like all mmos these days
It's hard to tell exactly, but there was a poll in Japan for 'favorite final fantasy game' that had the player-base as majority 19-30, and a poll for favorite MMO in Korea where the average FF14 player was pegged as a 27 year old woman. Both of those feel fairly accurate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Furnaceface posted:

e: ^^^ A very well timed post made while I was typing mine.

Man the story this time around is giving me emotional whiplash.

Going from cute rabbits to Urianger having one of the saddest (but also best) moments so far just wrecked me last night.

kinda general spoiler but mostly moon stuff Urianger's arc this expansion being 'I don't regret my choices, I feel I did the best I could, but being 'the shady guy who always kinda betrays his friends' loving sucks even if you guys forgive me and understand why I do it' was not what I expected but boy was it good.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Endorph posted:

It's hard to tell exactly, but there was a poll in Japan for 'favorite final fantasy game' that had the player-base as majority 19-30, and a poll for favorite MMO in Korea where the average FF14 player was pegged as a 27 year old woman. Both of those feel fairly accurate.

seems about right. I wonder what the NA(+europe, maybe?) pop is compared to japan. I feel like NA mmo populations tend to be mmo boomers who got hooked in the mid 2000s and never stopped chasing the high

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

sexpig by night posted:

kinda general spoiler but mostly moon stuff Urianger's arc this expansion being 'I don't regret my choices, I feel I did the best I could, but being 'the shady guy who always kinda betrays his friends' loving sucks even if you guys forgive me and understand why I do it' was not what I expected but boy was it good.

My favorite part of that is (moon spoilers) he specifically feels bad because the lopporits pegged him as the shady guy immediately. These adorable bunnies could tell that he was the one who could keep a secret and would be willing to conspire on tricking his friends, and they're the most naive people in the universe (besides the namazu).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wrestlepig posted:

this is good advice, I'd also reccomend not using mount roulette because while funny, it feels off if you get out your namazu mikoshi.

I did the entire MSQ with my Jibanyan Couch

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I did the entire MSQ with my Jibanyan Couch

my favorite mount i've gotten

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Macaluso posted:

The problem is it's probably gonna be quite a while before it gets to the point where the boss will spawn and then everyone will wait while a call is sent out so everyone interested can come kill it. Right now there's three separate instances of that zone, and the spawn is different on all of them. And there's only so much room for an instance so even if folks did wait and a call went out, the instance would fill up and then folks wouldn't be able to get in. So now everyone has resorted to just camping and killing it the moment it spawns. I almost think it would've been better to hold off even allowing those two bosses to spawn at all until after things have died down a lot. It also kind of sucks there's a huge segment of the playerbase that is in the game but effectively doing nothing but AFKing on a platform while thousands of players are struggling to get in.

Anyway I have 6 bolts, I just need one more kill.

Shockingly, Adamantoise was very well behaved about waiting for the call to go out in both of the kills I was in. The one where I got my last bolts, we waited fifteen minutes, it was ridiculous.

Also it might out-seat Model O as my favorite mount, it's so ridiculous.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Badger of Basra posted:

it makes me sad you can only dye the cuffs and not the nails

also I have been maining BLM since I started, since HW when they got Fire 4 I feel like BLM is just really fun to play. all the hits are so huge and hearing a Flare go off is the best. my only complaint, which I have had since the very first time I saw it, is that the visual and sound effects for Despair suck and they need to make it more explodey

If you look closely at Despair you can see it's basically a Flare (pink and orange explosion shot through with lightning) compressed at the target's feet until it fountains upward into a geyser, so I've got no complaints about its visuals. But, I agree that the sound is underwhelming - I like how it's less of an explosion and more of an unearthly shriek, but I wish it was a biiiit louder and sharper.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Tabletops posted:

seems about right. I wonder what the NA(+europe, maybe?) pop is compared to japan. I feel like NA mmo populations tend to be mmo boomers who got hooked in the mid 2000s and never stopped chasing the high

NA is far and away the largest region (was even prior to WoW collapsing), which sucks when we have 8 servers to a DC instead of 10-11 like japan. That said, the single largest server is a JP server, but that's because it's carrying most of what will be the Materia DC's population.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 15, 2021

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I’m giving up on hunts until things calm down. I can’t get to instances fast enough before they’re congested. The queue’s a lot more annoying now that I just want to play for an hour or two instead of binging all day.

That aside, I’m having a wonderful time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tabletops posted:

Folks have typed something up by now but I'm visual...

So here's what I've got:

Green: Bahamut/Phoenix. 0 summons them (and lights up the primals), - is a VERY strong one-time oGCD, 8 is summon-specific (Bahamut is damage, Phoenix is heal, the primals will get an ability here too at 86), they will turn Ruin into an instant-cast stronger version for 15 seconds.
Red: single-target attacks. 1 is Ruin, your time-filler GCD, 2 is the special version of that which popping a Primal gives you (wind is fast and instant, earth is instant but normal cooldown, fire is slow cast time but hard hitting), 3 is the oGCD unlocked by 4, and 5 is a strong GCD unlocked by 4.
Yellow: AoE versions of red. That's it, nothing else. Act the same, share resources, everything.
Blue: your primals. Unlocked by hitting Bahamut/Phoenix. Some small nuances in each one's type of AoE but basicly during the downtime between the big summons you hit a primal, use their specific attack until the charges run out, hit the next primal and repeat.
Pink: debuffs/buffs. 1 reduces enemy damage, 2 is a self shield, 3 is a 30s damage buff to the party. 2 and 3 can only be used by Carbunkle, so unavailable when in a Bahamut/Phoenix phase or for a few seconds after hitting a Primal, they transform back to Carby after their summon attack (don't need to spend all charges).

So basically your flow is to summon Bahamut/Phoenix (at lower levels this gets replaced by a button that powers Carbunkle up in a similar way to unlock the gems), hit their Ruin/Tri-disaster until the buff wears off, hit primals, and then Bahamut/Phoenix will be back up soon sop you can do a few slowcasts or hit energy drain for a Ruin IV in there. At lower levels the rotation stays the same. There's a lot more abilities to try and parse but everything gets replaced by something else as you level up so once you get it all sorted there's no need to shuffle when you downlevel.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
One of the fun little things I've noticed about Summoner is that your Astral flow abilities at level 86 aren't on a time limit. So if you summon Ifrit Eggy and clear a trash pull before you get to use your big fire punch combo, you can hold onto it for the next pull. Which means you can bank it for your next pull, where you can use Searing Light and then burn up your ifrit punches before going into Bahamut mode. The same would apply for Garuda's Slipstream, which is also a pretty powerful attack. It's less useful for Titan, where the rock clap attack is like Continuation and has a pretty modest attack power on its own.

I want to say that it's probably a DPS gain in an AOE situation to have Ifrit's fire punches available before launching into Bahamut. I'm not sure if it's a DPS gain against a single target though.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
This might be nothing, maybe anecdotal, or perhaps a sign of improvements: when I log out from FFXIV for the night, I don't shut the client down right away. I hop to the login screen and check the queue (3500 on Primal at the moment). Since Early Access, character appearance has failed to load for me at the character select screen whenever there's a significant queue. Until tonight, at least. Also, earlier today, I progressed through a 1200 person queue without any problems.

Sure, a 3500 person queue is still wild, and this could've been a one-off. Will keep an eye on it moving forward

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I think you’re more likely to see a 2002 error during the “max” part of a rush far more than during the ramp up and far far more than during the ramp down at the end of the night.

The most recent stuff from Reddit said the queue “rebuilds” every 15 minutes. And if there are more than max people trying to hit the login servers, then it can dump people in queue by mistake.

During the ramps up and down at the start and end of the night, you’re not going to see max people hitting login servers, hence less likely to see a 2002 error.

This is my theory.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Mordiceius posted:

the queue “rebuilds” every 15 minutes

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Endwalker - 2.002 You Can (Not) Advance

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mordiceius posted:

So I think you’re more likely to see a 2002 error during the “max” part of a rush far more than during the ramp up and far far more than during the ramp down at the end of the night.

The most recent stuff from Reddit said the queue “rebuilds” every 15 minutes. And if there are more than max people trying to hit the login servers, then it can dump people in queue by mistake.

During the ramps up and down at the start and end of the night, you’re not going to see max people hitting login servers, hence less likely to see a 2002 error.

This is my theory.

This matches my experience, I usually hop in the queue at about 7:30 or 8 PST, wait about an hour and get in without a single error. I had a lot the first week, couldn't play at all in the evening, only in the morning.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barreft posted:

Trying not to spoil anything, but the zone you're in around 86-87 is so drat boring. Back and forth between flowers for the last 5 hours. story is great, quests are terrible so far.

Just that zone I mean. I've loved everything else and couldn't stop playing. But the last two nights here ooof I log out early and play switch

The quests are the story though?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Bruceski posted:

Folks have typed something up by now but I'm visual...

So here's what I've got:

Green: Bahamut/Phoenix. 0 summons them (and lights up the primals), - is a VERY strong one-time oGCD, 8 is summon-specific (Bahamut is damage, Phoenix is heal, the primals will get an ability here too at 86), they will turn Ruin into an instant-cast stronger version for 15 seconds.
Red: single-target attacks. 1 is Ruin, your time-filler GCD, 2 is the special version of that which popping a Primal gives you (wind is fast and instant, earth is instant but normal cooldown, fire is slow cast time but hard hitting), 3 is the oGCD unlocked by 4, and 5 is a strong GCD unlocked by 4.
Yellow: AoE versions of red. That's it, nothing else. Act the same, share resources, everything.
Blue: your primals. Unlocked by hitting Bahamut/Phoenix. Some small nuances in each one's type of AoE but basicly during the downtime between the big summons you hit a primal, use their specific attack until the charges run out, hit the next primal and repeat.
Pink: debuffs/buffs. 1 reduces enemy damage, 2 is a self shield, 3 is a 30s damage buff to the party. 2 and 3 can only be used by Carbunkle, so unavailable when in a Bahamut/Phoenix phase or for a few seconds after hitting a Primal, they transform back to Carby after their summon attack (don't need to spend all charges).

So basically your flow is to summon Bahamut/Phoenix (at lower levels this gets replaced by a button that powers Carbunkle up in a similar way to unlock the gems), hit their Ruin/Tri-disaster until the buff wears off, hit primals, and then Bahamut/Phoenix will be back up soon sop you can do a few slowcasts or hit energy drain for a Ruin IV in there. At lower levels the rotation stays the same. There's a lot more abilities to try and parse but everything gets replaced by something else as you level up so once you get it all sorted there's no need to shuffle when you downlevel.

this is very helpful, thanks. I havent played in a year+ and my memory for this stuff is a sieve, so 90% of the words about summoner rotation stuff means absolutely nothing to me. a graphical guide is great!

LAMB LESSONS
Jun 27, 2003

show me ur feet

Farg posted:

eyyy I'm endwalkin' here

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I appreciate the Hitchhiker's Guide moments in this expansion.