Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't understand why my post made you angry, I was only posting a fact: there is only one confirmed death from omicron.

Should I not post facts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's amazing how continuously angry this makes you.

No one even mentioned anything about that, you are just spontaneously yelling it now.

This is you though?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

VitalSigns posted:

I don't understand why my post made you angry, I was only posting a fact: there is only one confirmed death from omicron.

Should I not post facts?

What point were you trying to get across with your post? It was completely disconnected from the post you were quoting.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Would anybody here actually be upset if it turns out omicron is actually less deadly but can compete with delta? I feel like this is assumed of some posters by others and I'd really just like to do a census to be entirely sure I'm not the mistaken one here.

Seems like the push and pull here is between believing or not the incomplete, early data, and like...okay there's good reasons to do both? Nobody's in a position to take any victory lap quite yet

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

enki42 posted:

What point were you trying to get across with your post? It was completely disconnected from the post you were quoting.

It's just a fact.

Epic High Five posted:

Would anybody here actually be upset if it turns out omicron is actually less deadly but can compete with delta?
No

Well I can't speak for everybody, but I doubt it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

VitalSigns posted:

It's just a fact.

No

Well I can't speak for everybody, but I doubt it

Dunno you already sound angry about it

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Epic High Five posted:

Would anybody here actually be upset if it turns out omicron is actually less deadly but can compete with delta?

I'd be pretty happy. That sounds ideal.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Who gives a gently caress if someone is mad about some COVID minutae anyway? I'm mad about a lot of this stuff too. Knock it off, it's already devolved into "lol ur mad" posting

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Epic High Five posted:

Who gives a gently caress if someone is mad about some COVID minutae anyway? I'm mad about a lot of this stuff too. Knock it off, it's already devolved into "lol ur mad" posting

Yes please. I asked nicely for people to stop the stupid slapfighting last night; I'm done asking.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Epic High Five posted:

Would anybody here actually be upset if it turns out omicron is actually less deadly but can compete with delta? I feel like this is assumed of some posters by others and I'd really just like to do a census to be entirely sure I'm not the mistaken one here.

Seems like the push and pull here is between believing or not the incomplete, early data, and like...okay there's good reasons to do both? Nobody's in a position to take any victory lap quite yet

If I wasnt taking 5 bodies down to the morgue every other shift in a 15 bed ICU I sure as gently caress would love it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Epic High Five posted:

I think Snowglobe of Doom and the rest of the CSPAM thread would need to be put on suicide watch if that was the case.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I post in the other thread and only lurk here but if Omicron turns out to be the turning point for covid-19 becoming another flu in terms of yearly deaths I'll moonwalk all the way to brunch.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cold on a Cob posted:

I post in the other thread and only lurk here but if Omicron turns out to be the turning point for covid-19 becoming another flu in terms of yearly deaths I'll moonwalk all the way to brunch.

:same:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Same but I'll make a pit stop at the local Denny's for u know what.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

Same but dusting off my old 5/3/1 logbook as I return to the gym

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
misspost, removed

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cold on a Cob posted:

Yearly deaths alone? Or do you also mean if it also puts the same number of people in hospital, and doesn't permanently disable, and doesn't cause 12+ months of long-covid, like the flu?

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Epic High Five posted:

If "less deadly" turns out to mean "fewer deaths total" then sure, sign me up for the victory party. As long as the party is virtual because I'm not attending any parties in person.

My worry is that "less deadly" could, counter-intuitively, turn out to mean "more deaths total."

How? If Omicron turns out to be so much more transmissible, and so much better at immune escape, that it infects lots and lots more people than Delta ever did, then even if a lower percentage of those infected end up dead, we could have more deaths, both directly from Omicron and indirectly because hospitals are overloaded.

That's not even getting into the possibility of a twindemic, with both Delta and Omicron in widespread, active circulation. My understanding is that the Mu variant basically disappeared because Delta outcompeted it, but there's no guarantee that sort of thing will happen every time there's a hyper-competitive new variant.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Please don't try to start cross forums drama in here, I don't think anyone wants the 'rona to get more deadly.

Victar posted:

If "less deadly" turns out to mean "fewer deaths total" then sure, sign me up for the victory party. As long as the party is virtual because I'm not attending any parties in person.

My worry is that "less deadly" could, counter-intuitively, turn out to mean "more deaths total."

How? If Omicron turns out to be so much more transmissible, and so much better at immune escape, that it infects lots and lots more people than Delta ever did, then even if a lower percentage of those infected end up dead, we could have more deaths, both directly from Omicron and indirectly because hospitals are overloaded.

That's not even getting into the possibility of a twindemic, with both Delta and Omicron in widespread, active circulation. My understanding is that the Mu variant basically disappeared because Delta outcompeted it, but there's no guarantee that sort of thing will happen every time there's a hyper-competitive new variant.

Yeah, that would be my concern as well, especially given the strain hospitals are already under. I do hope none of the worst case scenarios play out and it'll be nice to see more data as it comes out.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Victar posted:

My thoughts exactly. Deaths shouldn't be the only metric for people to start brunching.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd say that transmissibility is about the only variable with some room to move there...if it's both more transmissible AND the vaccines aren't very good against it, I'd assume the death numbers wouldn't be noticeably lower. I'll note that I'm saying this is happening or that, deep down, I feel it's likely just on the weight of how everything's been worst case scenario since 2015 or so, just wanting to clarify the positions of people since things were getting murky.

I too hope to moonwalk to brunch, if only as a symbol of victory or just good luck, but we're a ways from knowing anything even if Omicron is a perfect unicorn in this regard

slorb
May 14, 2002
The recent South African data that showed Omicron is 29% less likely to put people in hospital than D614G sunk the whole "Omicron is going to be mild enough to save us from Covid" thing for me.

If the reduction in people needing ICU treatment is more like 80-90% over Delta I think we might be able to get through the coming tidal wave of Omicron cases without hospital collapse because it's relatively easy to put up a giant tent where people get oxygen.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The real answer (maybe):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1889%E2%80%931890_pandemic

Where common cold virus OC43 seems to have diverged from cow virus at the exact same time a deadly pandemic was happening in 1889 that was called flu at the time but had few flu like symptoms and had exactly like coronavirus symptoms (loss of taste and smell).

This was an interesting piece on that:

https://www.slowboring.com/p/d89f1f08-5e86-4739-b723-c291bfb64e0b

quote:

But if the Covid-1889 theory is true, I think that helps illustrate some themes we should think about going forward. Realization seems to be spreading that even with vaccines available, it is very unlikely that we are going to reach Covid Zero. For context, Mark Honigsbaum and Lakshmi Krishnan wrote in The Lancet that “although H. Franklin Parsons, the medical investigator for England's Local Government Board, completed his final report on the ‘1889–92 epidemic’ in 1893, further severe recrudescences were observed in 1893, 1895, 1898, and 1899–1900.”

That is a frustratingly long time. And obviously, it was not possible then and would not be possible today to keep things shut down across a decade of variants and new strains and breakthrough infections. Individual people might want to raise their personal level of caution. But in terms of a society-wide response, the only thing that makes sense is acting to “bend the curve” to prevent outbreaks from becoming so large that they stress hospital capacity.

The good news, though, is that even though Covid-1889 never really ended, it also obviously did end.

After kicking around the human population for long enough, the 1889 virus — whatever it was — stopped being a big deal. Very possibly, it’s still with us, and we’re now so adapted that we barely notice. And these days we do have vaccines that we know accelerate that process of rendering Covid-19 less harmful; booster shots could further speed that process. So could increasing the pace at which we get shots into arms in poor countries. Anything we can do to boost vaccine production is good in terms of saving lives and helping restore normalcy.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Has there been any news about vaccines for kids under 5 lately?

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
vaccine bad

natural immunity good

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

EngineerJoe posted:

Has there been any news about vaccines for kids under 5 lately?

Clinical trials are currently underway iirc, but I don't think we've gotten any estimates outside of "sometime in the first half of 2022."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I've started citing the guy who got 10 vaccines in one day as proof the vaccine isn't bad.

I've been successful in getting 2 people to go get poked because stupidity prevails

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
HR person at work sent out an email that an unnamed employee was exposed to someone who has COVID. The employee has so far tested negative. I sent back a reply asking if that employee will be quarantining themselves. Waiting to hear back. Curious to see if they're just going to pretend that everything is fine and let everyone continue to go unmasked.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I know I was probed here, but just to clarify, somebody compared several of the good twitter experts with Monica, and she's utterly trash fire.

Here's a great thread diving into it.

https://twitter.com/KindAndUnblind/status/1470389931679883268?s=20

mgreen42
Oct 22, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

I think Snowglobe of Doom and the rest of the CSPAM thread would need to be put on suicide watch if that was the case.

gently caress you. the CSPAM thread has done a ton of good for me, and my family, with regards to mask guidance.

Go gently caress yourself - I'd be ecstatic if this was the case.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
I have a really dumb question, but just thought I would ask because I'm sure someone in this thread will know.

I was just going over the news and there were some health officials stating nervousness over a "triple whammy" or omicron, delta, and the flu all surging at the same time. Obviously this would be problematic in the sense that all three can lead to the need for hospitalization on their own, which would in turn overrun and already badly battered healthcare system. What I want to ask is, is it possible that one can be infected with flu and delta at the same time, and if so, would this increase the severity of illness or probability of death? I did a preliminary search and only found some stories saying it is possible, but what I found said it hasn't been researched enough to know how common it is. I am not literate in the field, so I didn't just want to start diving into possible research articles without the ability to judge on their accuracy. I wasn't sure if there are goons who might have good information on this.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mgreen42 posted:

gently caress you. the CSPAM thread has done a ton of good for me, and my family, with regards to mask guidance.

Go gently caress yourself - I'd be ecstatic if this was the case.

The other thread has saved lives.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Irrespective of the thread’s virtues, it’s a dick move to say that your rhetorical opponents revel in mass death and would kill themselves if they didn’t get to see it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I have a really dumb question, but just thought I would ask because I'm sure someone in this thread will know.

I was just going over the news and there were some health officials stating nervousness over a "triple whammy" or omicron, delta, and the flu all surging at the same time. Obviously this would be problematic in the sense that all three can lead to the need for hospitalization on their own, which would in turn overrun and already badly battered healthcare system. What I want to ask is, is it possible that one can be infected with flu and delta at the same time, and if so, would this increase the severity of illness or probability of death? I did a preliminary search and only found some stories saying it is possible, but what I found said it hasn't been researched enough to know how common it is. I am not literate in the field, so I didn't just want to start diving into possible research articles without the ability to judge on their accuracy. I wasn't sure if there are goons who might have good information on this.

sure it's possible and would probably be worse

Good news is you take the same precautions for all of them. Vaccinate/boost, wear an appropriate mask, avoid close indoor contact. With the flu you have the added concern of surface transmission I believe, so make sure you're washing your hands thoroughly before they go anywhere near your face.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

sure it's possible and would probably be worse

Good news is you take the same precautions for all of them. Vaccinate/boost, wear an appropriate mask, avoid close indoor contact. With the flu you have the added concern of surface transmission I believe, so make sure you're washing your hands thoroughly before they go anywhere near your face.

Yeah I get that. I'm not worried about myself. More about the general state of the pandemic. I was more curious about what kind of consequences the situation might have for the coming months. Has there been any data to show that getting both at the same time increases danger, that it could lead to a more severe surge, more people in the ICU, or anything of that sort? Or is it kind of an unknown at this point and we are going to be finding out over the next few months?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

DaiJiaTeng posted:

Yeah I get that. I'm not worried about myself. More about the general state of the pandemic. I was more curious about what kind of consequences the situation might have for the coming months. Has there been any data to show that getting both at the same time increases danger, that it could lead to a more severe surge, more people in the ICU, or anything of that sort? Or is it kind of an unknown at this point and we are going to be finding out over the next few months?

I think it's hard to say at this point given lack of prior data from how essentially non-existent the flu season was last year with all the masking and hand washing.

Like in Canada we normally have around 52,000 confirmed cases of the flu in a given season. In the last flu season we had only 69. Turns out the precautions people take for COVID are even better at stopping the flu.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

DaiJiaTeng posted:

My guess is it depends on where you are. If you're in a deep red part of the US that never took any precautions and has a low vaccination rate, the double/triple whammy is going to hit hard. If you're in other parts of the world that are still doing masking and social distancing to some extent, flu will be greatly blunted.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just a heads up that I'm not giving any more warnings for cross forum drama bullshit going either way. This is not the thread to take potshots at your perceived posting enemies and make snide insinuations about them. This is the DND Covid thread, discuss Covid, not CSPAM vs DND grudge bullshit.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Fritz the Horse posted:

My guess is it depends on where you are. If you're in a deep red part of the US that never took any precautions and has a low vaccination rate, the double/triple whammy is going to hit hard. If you're in other parts of the world that are still doing masking and social distancing to some extent, flu will be greatly blunted.

yep :shep: areas that didnt get hit hard in the intial or second wave are right now eating literal mountains of poo poo. Its great and not making an already bad situation worse :shep: :gun: sidenote going to the top level 1 in the area and expecting that its worse, specially cause during my interview 3 people died in a span of an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think it's hard to say at this point given lack of prior data from how essentially non-existent the flu season was last year with all the masking and hand washing.

Like in Canada we normally have around 52,000 confirmed cases of the flu in a given season. In the last flu season we had only 69. Turns out the precautions people take for COVID are even better at stopping the flu.

Does the flu normally start to tick up in autumn? Are we seeing any of that now?