Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Beachcomber posted:

A fact I knew but never clicked in the right way.

There's no such thing as a cuckoo's nest.

There are nests with Cuckoos in them though
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Beachcomber posted:

Ok wise guy then tell me what the hell i just flew over

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

christmas boots posted:

Ok wise guy then tell me what the hell i just flew over

ur mom :owned:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Beachcomber posted:

Well why don't you explain what all these people are all singing about then, smart guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcSg9GxBueY

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I like that song. :shrug:
My best friend and I share the same birthday, so it's appropriate.

I like it too, but my wife doesn't, and I guess I can understand why. All the yelling does get a bit repetitive and grating. Probably better as an instrumental.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Beachcomber posted:

Only certain species of the cuckoo family are brood parasites. While the Common Cuckoo in Europe is one of them, most cuckoos, including the species in North America, raise their own young. (Roadrunners are also cuckoos. They can fly but they don't feel like it.)

There are parasite birds in North America but those are Cowbirds.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Beachcomber posted:

A cuckoo's egg is real though and a great read

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cuckoo%27s_Egg_(book)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Laopooh posted:

A cuckoo's egg is real though and a great read

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cuckoo%27s_Egg_(book)

I will never not love Cliff Stoll, dude is living his best life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08RckIMQ984

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

YggiDee posted:

Only certain species of the cuckoo family are brood parasites. While the Common Cuckoo in Europe is one of them, most cuckoos, including the species in North America, raise their own young. (Roadrunners are also cuckoos. They can fly but they don't feel like it.)

There are parasite birds in North America but those are Cowbirds.

Interesting! Probably not something a lot of writers know, though.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I discovered today that the company that makes printers and whatnot is called Brother, not Bother. I've been reading it in Winnie the Pooh's voice for two decades.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Now you can say it in a Buster Bluth voice

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Samsung laser printer is named Annyong on our network, and the Brother all-in-one is Hermano.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

The Samsung laser printer is named Annyong on our network, and the Brother all-in-one is Hermano.

We're gonna find this "Hernano" fellow, mon frere

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Hirayuki posted:

It’s more amusing when you have a less-than-stellar grasp of Spanish (it’s not widely taught in the UK) and assume alongside the characters that ‘Hermano’ MUST BE a Latin cognate of ‘Herman’.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Brawnfire posted:

Now you can say it in a Buster Bluth voice

Sister mother?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Chicken drumsticks are called "jamoncitos" in Spanish because they look like tiny legs of ham.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain Splendid posted:

Chicken drumsticks are called "jamoncitos" in Spanish because they look like tiny legs of ham.

hosed up, because they actually don't look like ham at all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I see it

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Chickens with trotters :gonk:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Username checks out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well now I'm just disappointed there aren't tiny little legs of ham that I can eat while pretending I'm a giant, like those little candy corn pumpkins

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pigs with chicken's talons :gonk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well now I'm just disappointed there aren't tiny little legs of ham that I can eat while pretending I'm a giant, like those little candy corn pumpkins

lets give growth hormone to piglet fetuses so they get big hams while still being tiny

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Carthag Tuek posted:

lets give growth hormone to piglet fetuses so they get big hams while still being tiny

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wellp i um

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Holy poo poo they made 3 of these?!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I imagine getting a bunch of money to gently caress around and play action hero it’s hard to say no.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TK-42-1 posted:

I imagine getting a bunch of money to gently caress around and play action hero it’s hard to say no.

theyre gonna do you like brendan fraser tho.. you dont get to gently caress around until you have like 10+ blockbusters under your belt

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Carthag Tuek posted:

theyre gonna do you like brendan fraser tho.. you dont get to gently caress around until you have like 10+ blockbusters under your belt

That is Stallone on those covers, right? And Batista is a Marvel Boy now, he'll be fine.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Memento posted:

That is Stallone on those covers, right? And Batista is a Marvel Boy now, he'll be fine.

yeah those guys are probably fine. im saying if you wanna show up like TK-42-1, youre gonna do your own stunts until you cant too bad

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah those guys are probably fine. im saying if you wanna show up like TK-42-1, youre gonna do your own stunts until you cant too bad

Shoulda stayed at their post then

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Memento posted:

Shoulda stayed at their post then

thats all im saying

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

it’s a living

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TK-42-1 posted:

it’s a living

until you gently caress up your back or some exec gets handsy, now your career is over & it isnt a living

just listen: get someone to look over your contract before you do the stunts ok?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
"The first Noel the angel did say was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay"
Because of the way the line is stressed, I always just assumed that "to certain" was a verb, and that it probably meant something like "to make certain" or "to reassure". But no, it's just the regular determiner as I'm used to it being used.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Oh that reminds me of one.

When I was a kid and just learning to read, I would read everything, as one does. The side of the milk bottles we got would say "keep refrigerated or below 4°C. Contents will then keep until use by date".

I assumed "contents" was a funny word for parent or guardian, and that they would keep the milk but knew to get rid of it when it went off.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh, I like those very much!

I'm sure I've done something similar myself, but all that comes to mind is that, as a kid, I thought the full phrase was "Silence is golden, speech is silvern", until I used "silvern" in a novella writing competition and got gently teased that it's not a real word.

Although...

*google* *google*

https://www.jordantimes.com/opinion/ahmad-y-majdoubeh/%E2%80%98speech-silvern%E2%80%99

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/silvern

MotherFUCKER! I WAS RIGHT!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I also just found out that "spendthrift" means the exact opposite of what I thought it meant.
I don't think I've ever used it in a sentence, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lady Disdain posted:

"The first Noel the angel did say was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay"
Because of the way the line is stressed, I always just assumed that "to certain" was a verb, and that it probably meant something like "to make certain" or "to reassure". But no, it's just the regular determiner as I'm used to it being used.

I've had this same line of thought years before ty