Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Arsenic Lupin posted:

drat, I loved my Palm. I got my first one when it was still called a Pilot. Won it in a Web contest. Bought all the others.

There was a rumor that Xerox PARC had to make a rule about no writing on whiteboards in Graffiti because some of the scientists couldn't read it.

I had a III, a V, a Handspring Prism, and a Treo 650 phone (I still have the Prism and the Treo in a drawer somewhere). Awesome pieces of tech for their time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not sure it's been talked about in this thread before, but in the midst of X-mas shopping for my young nieces and nephews, and all the new, exciting, electronic gizmos that are around, I remembered an old toy I had as a kid in the 80's.

It was basically a sort of proto-Leapfrog? It was a book that would have a small interactive portion...either asking you to pick an answer to something, or a multiple choice, and you "picked" what you wanted with a small electronic "pen" that you touched to the electronic section on the right of the book, not on the pages itself. And the pen would react sometimes with a red LED and "BAD" noise, or green LED and "good" noise.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not sure it's been talked about in this thread before, but in the midst of X-mas shopping for my young nieces and nephews, and all the new, exciting, electronic gizmos that are around, I remembered an old toy I had as a kid in the 80's.

It was basically a sort of proto-Leapfrog? It was a book that would have a small interactive portion...either asking you to pick an answer to something, or a multiple choice, and you "picked" what you wanted with a small electronic "pen" that you touched to the electronic section on the right of the book, not on the pages itself. And the pen would react sometimes with a red LED and "BAD" noise, or green LED and "good" noise.

Sounds like any number of V-Tech toys. Did it also have interchangeable cartridges/ pages that were keyed differently?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

tribbledirigible posted:

Sounds like any number of V-Tech toys. Did it also have interchangeable cartridges/ pages that were keyed differently?

I don't think it was Vtech? Just took a quick look at their history page and didn't see it featured there, but doesn't mean it wasn't them.

And I don't think so to the latter point. I think each book was just it's own book, no cartridges. The only one I remember the content of was a "Berenstain Bears" story.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Sounds a little like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZHA3qTc6c

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

That reminded me of a really primitive interactive book I had as a kid and I actually managed to find a youtube video about it: Big Bird Beep books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbCPiJIQkJI

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Buncha Electro "board games" like that as well.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

drat, I loved my Palm. I got my first one when it was still called a Pilot. Won it in a Web contest. Bought all the others.

There was a rumor that Xerox PARC had to make a rule about no writing on whiteboards in Graffiti because some of the scientists couldn't read it.

I got on the Palm train with the Palm IIIc (either the first or one of the first colour ones) and stuck with it up until the T|X. I think I kept using that all the way until my first smartphone in 2010 or thereabouts. Really well built devices for their time, although the power button had a tendency to give out after a few years (thankfully you could remap it to any hardware button).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ours always broke when the touch screen stopped tracking.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Never had that happen, although by the time I upgraded there were always very visible scratches on the screen on the onscreen keyboard home row (I never got the hand of Graffiti) and where the letters in Text Twist were.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

New CRD is very much thread relevant and great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POSPaiutNlQ

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I miss the palm pre. I really wish HP had let that product line live. I’d love to see where it went if they’d kept making phones. I even had an unreleased Palm Pre 3 that was dumped on eBay by someone that worked at HP and used it for about a year.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I got on the Palm train with the Palm IIIc (either the first or one of the first colour ones) and stuck with it up until the T|X. I think I kept using that all the way until my first smartphone in 2010 or thereabouts. Really well built devices for their time, although the power button had a tendency to give out after a few years (thankfully you could remap it to any hardware button).
I've used my Palm (Tungsten 5, i think? One with persistent memory) in university, partially for gaming (it had simple 3D graphics!), paritally for organizing stuff.

Palm had some neat accessories, like a notepad. You'd write with ink on paper, but your writing/drawing/whatever was automatically transmitted to the Palm. I cannot remember if it was _good_ quality, but I didn't care and neither should you.

Wipfmetz has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Dec 15, 2021

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Besides, Google seem to be trying to lock android down further. As of the most recent increase in minimum API level, it's now much harder to use one app to provide storage for another: if you try to set a file from syncthing as your password database, you now have to manually browse for it every time you launch the password manager, for "security" reasons. Google drive just works, though. Of course.

Yes, I recently learned about this; I spent the weekend trying to write an Android application in Go. My plan was to use it with files synchronized via syncthing, but as you point out, that's Difficult now.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Wipfmetz posted:

I've used my Palm (Tungsten 5, i think? One with persistent memory) in university, partiall for gaming (it had simple 3D graphics!), paritally for organizing stuff.

Palm had some neat accessories, like a notepad. You'd write with ink on paper, but your writing/drawing/whatever was automatically transmitted to the Palm. I cannot remember if it was _good_ quality, but I didn't care and neither should you.

I didn't need to write since I had one of these bad boys:

It folded up nicely into a box about the size of the device but twice as thick and came in its own carrying case.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Ensign Expendable posted:

I didn't need to write since I had one of these bad boys:

It folded up nicely into a box about the size of the device but twice as thick and came in its own carrying case.

Aw yeah, had one of these for my Handspring Visor Prism.

My least favorite obsolete technology, but one that is surprisingly persistent: Row-stagger keyboard layouts. Fight me.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Exit Strategy posted:

Aw yeah, had one of these for my Handspring Visor Prism.

My least favorite obsolete technology, but one that is surprisingly persistent: Row-stagger keyboard layouts. Fight me.

As in you prefer ortholinear? I built one on a whim and find it maddeningly difficult to use, probably because I'm fighting years of muscle memory.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

No, nothing removable or insert-able. One book was one book, that was it. At least I think, I was 8-10 so who the Hell knows, I could be misremembering,

But I specifically remember the "pen"/stylus thing. Black, about 6" long, the tip was maybe 1/4-1/2" wide where you touched it to the book, and the other end was about as wide as 2 AAA's for the battery compartment, and it had a red "wrong answer" LED and green "right answer" LED, and I'm like 90%sure it also made noise.

Edit: I looked up "Light and Learn" and that's not it.

Second edit: More research and I am fairly certain it was Questron, that pen he's using is almost a perfect match for my memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AruhjQNVM6Y

Although I don't remember the multi-colored sticker along the side, and remember the LEDs being on the back of the pen, BUT that could just be my bad memory and/or they had a re-design at some point. And that also might be the British version and I had the American? Hard to say but pretty sure that was it.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Dec 14, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I know I had one of those Questron type pens as a child, but sadly I don't remember what it was for, just the device itself, sorry. As a kid I loved a) space b) dinosaurs, so a book about either would be my guess.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I had the Questron pen too, and was obsessed with it. I don't remember the books at all, but I loved finding stuff in the house that would trigger the noises. Also made an excellent pretend barcode scanner.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

All this barcode pen talk reminded me of when my mom tried to teach me piano using the Casio MT-70. I loving loved running the pen on the barcode songs making the read noise and the LEDs blink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA1CqHmjOAs

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

As in you prefer ortholinear? I built one on a whim and find it maddeningly difficult to use, probably because I'm fighting years of muscle memory.

From the people who have bought my ortholinear boards - and my own experience - I tell you this. Two weeks.

Give it two weeks, and you'll adapt. Then you'll get faster at typing and your wrists will hurt less.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

moller posted:

Audiogalaxy and OiNK were like watching two libraries of Alexandria be burned.

All those people moved onto What.CD which also got burned, but they've rebuilt it again at another site.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Exit Strategy posted:

From the people who have bought my ortholinear boards - and my own experience - I tell you this. Two weeks.

Give it two weeks, and you'll adapt. Then you'll get faster at typing and your wrists will hurt less.

I typed like a little baby for a week or two after I got a Kinesis Advantage but damned if it wasn't a great keyboard once I got used to it.

Unlike other stupid nerd keyboard poo poo (like Dvorak layouts), it doesn't ruin your ability to type on a regular human keyboard either.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pham Nuwen posted:

it doesn't ruin your ability to type on a regular human keyboard either.

That hardly seems worth it at all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Exit Strategy posted:

Do you have an SA thread of your own?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I swear to god if people change typing again im gonna flip out. I did an apple ][, i loving wrote gwbasic on a 286 and could t9 poo poo for days. now my keyboard is like “you spell it ‘weekond’ so i’ll fix it rq”. Oh you hit that one twice you must be deaf so now the colors are flipped. It took me an hour to type this and there aren’t ducking any arrow keys so i can’t even go back and fix the capitalization. :(

^Z

C:>del post.txt

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Phone typing is pretty bad. Sometimes I'll be typing along and am about to hit the predicted word that I want and I look at what I typed and see that it correctly guessed "probably" from me typing "otindkt" but sometimes I get really close to the real word I want and it just throws up random garbage words that I have never typed on my phone.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There's some sort of breakpoint where, if I'm a bit too tired and imprecise, the autocorrect goes from mostly good to actively destructive. (And goddamn is typing code on a phone keyboard ever horrible. )

As a fun bonus, I also type a fair bit of Norwegian. There's a layout change button on the keyboard, which moves the keys around to fit in three more vowels, in addition to changing the autocorrect language. I'd love to stick to a single button layout and just change the language, but that's apparently not how things work. And even with the language set to Norwegian it's 50/50 if I'm allowed to type a lowercase I. (Which is how Norwegian spells "in", so it comes up fairly often).

Oh well, it's mostly good. I do miss the little trackball on my first Android phone (a HTC Hero), though; it was perfect for cursor positioning.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Oh well, it's mostly good. I do miss the little trackball on my first Android phone (a HTC Hero), though; it was perfect for cursor positioning.

Try swiping left and right on the space button if your phone isn't too old. This moves the cursor.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm aware of it, but it's somewhat fiddly compared to the hardware solution. Still, yes, it does help.

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
I still use hackers's keyboard on android with full layout on portrait. It's slow to type with two thumbs, but atleast I can blame only myself for the typos.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SwiftKey is great. No need to manually switch languages if you're multilingual, and doesn't auto replace words if you don't want to, just shows the suggestions for you to tap.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I'm big on swiftkey since 8pen died.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Computer viking posted:

And even with the language set to Norwegian it's 50/50 if I'm allowed to type a lowercase I.
I'm otherwise fairly happy with Gboard, but it will never, ever autocapitalize "I." Not even when I specifically add it to my dictionary.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

SwiftKey decided that 'muhh' is more of a real word than 'much' and will autocorrect 'much' to 'muhh' no matter how many times I long press the suggestion and press 'never predict muhh again'

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Grammarly is going to get so much shitposting data from me it'll become a subset of the English Language (US) setting.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FilthyImp posted:

Grammarly is going to get so much shitposting data from me it'll become a subset of the English Language (US) setting.

I checked my Grammarly dictionary and it is ridiculous.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SLOSifl posted:

now my keyboard is like “you spell it ‘weekond’ so i’ll fix it rq”. Oh you hit that one twice you must be deaf so now the colors are flipped.

Yesterday I had to teach my Android phone "robe". I mean, what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

phone keyboards that autocaps password forms :thumbsup: