Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Civil War But Without Pretending There's A Valid "Both Sides" Argument isn't the worst idea for a story, honestly

I'm pretty sure Mark Millar was the only one who thought this. It's a shame he wrote the main miniseries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Tensokuu posted:

The new Amazing Spider-man (80.BEY?) was actually pretty rad. I'm all for more Otto stories.

I was not ready for a full issue of Aunt May and Otto flirting like hormonal teenagers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The negative zone even has democracy!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What do beings in the Negative Zone call our, uh... zone?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Siegkrow posted:

I was not ready for a full issue of Aunt May and Otto flirting like hormonal teenagers

I'm glad it didn't work out, since May is destined for Uncle Moley.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

What do beings in the Negative Zone call our, uh... zone?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Siegkrow posted:

But was it everything you dreamed of?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

It's really a shame that the baller-rear end Superior Octopus costume didn't stick around

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Good call. I may have found my answer in another thread, though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

bobkatt013 posted:

I half expect it to end with Luke cage as mayor

I don't think anything will improve there. Either it's going to be a random nobody or Fisk will be replaced by someone like Thanos, Galactus, or Doctor Doom. You know what? I want to see that! Give me a story were New York secedes and becomes an extended Latverian embassy.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 9, 2021

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
"Should super-heroes be registered with the government instead of being vigilantes?" is a really interesting framework for a story, and Tony and Steve were were really interesting mouthpieces to put on each side of that arguement. The New Warriors' massive gently caress up was a pretty great inciting incident to convince everyone from heroes for hire to sorcerers supreme to take a side on the issue. But unfortunately it fell off pretty much immediately beyond that point and we somehow ended up with clones of Thor killing Goliath 2 (or whoever) and it all ending in dumb punching.

Civil War 2 was just moronic from the ground up. There's nothing interesting about "No for real, this guy totally sees the future! We'd better all treat this seriously!" and nobody was buying it, so seeing half of the senior heroes of the MCU suddenly decide that it was worth going to punch-war over was just silly.

Don't even get me started on Tony torturing a college kid.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Wasn't a lot of Civil War a thinly veiled allegory for the Bush administration's attack on civil rights after 9/11?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
I feel like the main problem of Civil War was that it started from the premise of "should superheroes be registered with the government instead of being vigilantes" and then ended up as a thinly veiled allegory for the Bush administration's attack on civil rights after 9/11. Either of those could have been a great story with a coherent, interesting political message behind it. But instead it shifted from one to the other over the course of the planning and execution of the event, and that shift is what caused the problems with it. They needed to just pick a lane.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd be nice if event books didn't make captain marvel abandon her personality and go full fash at the drop of a hat. every dang time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like the Initiative without the compulsory bit would probably be pretty successful since most of the non-Avengers/non-X-Men characters are pretty much just sitting around doing nothing, you'd probably even get a few villains to reform for a steady income with the only job being defending Idaho from attacks or whatever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edit: Wrong thread.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Rick posted:

I feel like the Initiative without the compulsory bit would probably be pretty successful since most of the non-Avengers/non-X-Men characters are pretty much just sitting around doing nothing, you'd probably even get a few villains to reform for a steady income with the only job being defending Idaho from attacks or whatever.

Taskmaster was a great hero high school principal

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rick posted:

"Hey, reporting in from Earth. It looks like they're getting proactive about organizing their superhuman population into a volunteer corps."
[sound of every alien civilization doing a spit-take simultaneously]

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1469387613945708550

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Huh, I assume his work with Kieron Gillen involved a lot of collaboration on story stuff, but has McKelvie ever written stuff with a different person doing art before?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

Huh, I assume his work with Kieron Gillen involved a lot of collaboration on story stuff, but has McKelvie ever written stuff with a different person doing art before?

It definitely dampened my excitement hugely. I mean, it still might be fine but I am skeptical.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/therealstanlee/status/1470750431643058181?s=21

Ugh, I'm not surprised Stan Lee's family would do this, but it's still loving vile.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

amigolupus posted:

Ugh, I'm not surprised Stan Lee's family would do this, but it's still loving vile.

No way, man. Do whatever it takes: sell your house, mortgage your kids, just get in on the ground floor on these beauties:

Anyway, you can tell Stan wasn't actually involved (other than obvious reasons) because there's no throwaway character named something like Anne Efty.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I too old to know what "ratio'd" means but I assume it's good that this thing is getting ratio'd.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nilbop posted:

I too old to know what "ratio'd" means but I assume it's good that this thing is getting ratio'd.

To be honest it has seemed to mean a couple different, but similar things. The first time I heard it was for tweets that had a high ratio of replies to likes, which was a signal that it was causing blowback and outrage because there is no dislike button. Now sometimes it can also mean (on anything, not just Twitter) a reply to a post that is more liked than the thing it was a reply to, usually because it was a sick burn.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
There's a new sorcerer supreme in town, coming from the thread favorite writer of Black Cat and Moon Knight.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-doctor-strange-clea-replacement

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cloks posted:

There's a new sorcerer supreme in town, coming from the thread favorite writer of Black Cat and Moon Knight.

Marvel wouldn't let Vulpes do Bats The Ghost Hound Sorcerer Supreme? Cowards.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cloks posted:

eh, okay i guess

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Well I'm stoked. MacKay has done phenomenal work at Marvel and The Death of Dr. Strange has been fun-- the magic side of the 616 is a huge toybox with a lot of weird stuff in it and I'm excited to see him rummage around.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Clea's always gotten kind of a raw deal, right?

I'm glad to see her get some time to shine.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I did always find it strange (HURHUR) that Clea has been mostly absent and ignored through the recent ten-ish years that Dr. Strange's star had been rising, considering that she was...y'know. His wife. And they never really got divorced or anything, it's just that writers at one point just...well, stopped mentioned that this guy had a literal actual wife out there somewhere, and life just went on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully Ben Franklin can squeeze by trying to reignite their spark

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cool that a fresh new take on a female character is about getting her man back, I guess.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I didn't know Jed MacKay posted here! I knew the name, but haven't read any of his work yet.

I'm a giant Daredevil fanboy, and yet somehow I just recently found out he wrote a miniseries that bridged the gap between the Soule and Zdarsky runs of Daredevil. Now I need to find that TPB, ASAP.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Isn't Clea already a Sorcerer Supreme, or am I confusing her with another female character?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They’re going to give him Silver Sable when the Clea book is done.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I didn't know Jed MacKay posted here! I knew the name, but haven't read any of his work yet.

I'm a giant Daredevil fanboy, and yet somehow I just recently found out he wrote a miniseries that bridged the gap between the Soule and Zdarsky runs of Daredevil. Now I need to find that TPB, ASAP.

You should check his stuff out. It's legitimately fun!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Gologle posted:

Isn't Clea already a Sorcerer Supreme, or am I confusing her with another female character?
At one point she and Strange actually overthrew Dormammu from the Dark Dimension and she became Sorceress Supreme there, just like how Magik is technically Sorceress Supreme of Limbo. This was ages ago, though...what it means now that Dormammu's been back and active for a while is mostly unclear, so she's probably just a regular ol', incredibly powerful magic-user who once toppled her dimension's god-king with her otherworldly side piece.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Clea as sorceror supreme is cool, but is there some rule now that says everybody has to wear Steven's pajamas if they take over his job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

I did always find it strange (HURHUR) that Clea has been mostly absent and ignored through the recent ten-ish years that Dr. Strange's star had been rising, considering that she was...y'know. His wife. And they never really got divorced or anything, it's just that writers at one point just...well, stopped mentioned that this guy had a literal actual wife out there somewhere, and life just went on.

Clea had an appearance or two in Waid's book but didn't become the supporting character you'd think she would be.