Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

LuckyCat posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-detection_policy

Doesn't look like any specific government policies, but there are things like the Brooking's Report which makes recommendations.

This is a perfect answer, thank you!

TraderStav posted:

Make peace with your god.

This is also a perfect answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

In videogames, how much damage you can do in one short burst is often called "alpha damage". Why is it called that rather than "delta damage", given that it's literally the rate of change of damage?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
"Alpha damage" is short for "Alpha strike damage", where "alpha strike" was originally military terminology for an all-out attack -- specifically, an alpha strike was when a US navy aircraft carrier launched every aircraft it could fit on the deck at once to perform a coordinated joint attack.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"Alpha damage" is short for "Alpha strike damage", where "alpha strike" was originally military terminology for an all-out attack -- specifically, an alpha strike was when a US navy aircraft carrier launched every aircraft it could fit on the deck at once to perform a coordinated joint attack.

Thanks!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

woah i always thought alpha strike came from mechwarrior

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

alnilam posted:

woah i always thought alpha strike came from mechwarrior

Same, to be honest.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I remember some crazy guy who had legally changed his name to something stupid being a candidate in my voter guide for some kind of local election, but I don't remember what for and I don't remember which year it was.
Is there a good centralized list I can find a list of past voters' guides, or a list of previous candidates for a variety of positions?
Washington state.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I remember some crazy guy who had legally changed his name to something stupid being a candidate in my voter guide for some kind of local election, but I don't remember what for and I don't remember which year it was.
Is there a good centralized list I can find a list of past voters' guides, or a list of previous candidates for a variety of positions?
Washington state.

Until you said Washington State I thought "This has to be about Biohacker Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma Meow-Meow"

Yes, that is a real persons name

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TV Zombie posted:

What does Italian Birthday cake taste like?

Is that the name of a specific type of cake? Is there a particular cake that Italians are known for serving at birthday parties? :confused:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

TV Zombie posted:

What does Italian Birthday cake taste like?

According to my Italian friend: "I don't think we have an official birthday cake recipe? Although, I'm born in July so I usually get ice cream instead." So there you have it.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Inceltown posted:

Until you said Washington State I thought "This has to be about Biohacker Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma Meow-Meow"

Yes, that is a real persons name

I read this out loud and it activated my cat.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
My sister has gotten really into sewing lately, so I'd like to get her something sewing related for Christmas, but I don't know the first thing about it. Does anyone know of any good tools(?) Or gadget(?)-type things that would be good for someone who sews? She has a machine but she also sews/knits by hand if it helps.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
There's no general medical questions thread anywhere, so I'll ask here instead: How bad is a blood triglycerides level of 726 and a blood CO2 level of 32?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Any simple way to loop a Netflix fire log thing? On an Apple TV if it matters

Someone recommended magic fireplace and it’s perfect and only a buck!

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

My sister has gotten really into sewing lately, so I'd like to get her something sewing related for Christmas, but I don't know the first thing about it. Does anyone know of any good tools(?) Or gadget(?)-type things that would be good for someone who sews? She has a machine but she also sews/knits by hand if it helps.

Not a gadget idea but pattern books about things she's interested in? Like if she's into dressmaking, then pattern books for dress styles.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Farecoal posted:

There's no general medical questions thread anywhere, so I'll ask here instead: How bad is a blood triglycerides level of 726 and a blood CO2 level of 32?

726 mg/dL is extremely high, but keep in mind that I'm not a doctor and most of the other people in this thread aren't either. I'm assuming you're American or something and don't have access to proper medical care, but interpreting results on your own isn't usually a good idea, you should talk to someone who's qualified generally. You should probably fix your diet and start exercising though.

32 is slightly above average, which is like 22-29.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

DildenAnders posted:

We have a sewing thread, might be worth asking them. Off the top of my head, some Really Good fabric scissors.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Depending on your budget and location, try looking for classes in specific techniques? Like maybe sewing zippers in pillows or how to measure a kid for a Halloween costume or whatever. If you're in a real city, you can probably find something on her level (or slightly above preferably).

But yeah, it's probably not the kind of hobby where you need gadgets, more recipes and materials.

Also be sure to request a homemade Christmas present. I have a very nice water proof tote bag my mom made me one year for example.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

My rule of thumb is to beware getting folks gifts related to their hobbies if you don't know anything about the hobby. It's very easy to accidentally do the equivalent of buying an XBox game for someone who only owns a Playstation.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

DildenAnders posted:

A subscription to Threads magazine, or membership in their Threads Insiders thing, which is $60/year and includes the magazine plus a bunch of videos and other online content?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

dustin.h posted:

There aren't a plethora. I've sent emails to the three good schools -- Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin -- and to the state university system (which, frankly, isn't any worse, but it doesn't have the name.)

Oh, you’re in Maine. Contact James Reid-Cunningham in Massachusetts; maybe send him an email asking for an estimate. He’s excellent, and if he can’t do it, he’ll know who can—he’s very active in the rare books conservation community. https://reid-cunningham.com/

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

AlbieQuirky posted:

Oh, you’re in Maine. Contact James Reid-Cunningham in Massachusetts; maybe send him an email asking for an estimate. He’s excellent, and if he can’t do it, he’ll know who can—he’s very active in the rare books conservation community. https://reid-cunningham.com/
Thank you very much. I will probably do just that. And to the person who PMed me, thank you as well.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How come you can burn hydrogen and helium and carbon but not gold?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baron Porkface posted:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/fire2.htm posted:

fire is the result of a chemical reaction between two gases, typically oxygen and a fuel gas. The fuel gas is created by heat. In other words, with heat providing the necessary energy, atoms in one gaseous compound break their bonds with each other and recombine with available oxygen atoms in the air to form new compounds plus lots more heat.

Only some compounds will readily break apart and recombine in this way -- the various atoms have to be attracted to each other in the right manner. For example, when you boil water, it takes the gaseous form of steam, but this gas doesn't react with oxygen in the air. There isn't a strong enough attraction between the two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom in a water molecule and the two oxygen atoms in an oxygen molecule, so the water compound doesn't break apart and recombine.

The most flammable compounds contain carbon and hydrogen, which recombine with oxygen relatively easily to form carbon dioxide, water and other gases.

Different flammable fuels catch fire at different temperatures. It takes a certain amount of heat energy to change any particular material into a gas, and even more heat energy to trigger the reaction with oxygen. The necessary heat level varies depending on the nature of the molecules that make up the fuel.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Gold, silver, and platinum are some of the least reactive substances known to exist, they will never react with oxygen in the air to burn, they'll just melt. Metals like magnesium or sodium will burn pretty easily because they're reactive as poo poo and perfectly happy to combine with oxygen, the reactive gas that makes up just over a fifth of the air that surrounds us.

e: also you can't burn helium, it's a noble gas. It's extremely difficult to get noble gasses to react with anything at all. As far as I'm aware you need pretty specialized equipment to do it, and even then it's mostly only the larger ones like krypton and xenon that they can really get to work on a large scale, not the smaller ones like helium and neon.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 13, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Farecoal posted:

Subforum The Goon Doctor:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=183

Slow moving, but there are plenty of medical goons around who might be able to help.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

On Saturday afternoon, my washing machine tripped the breaker. It’s never happened before, but I’ve only been in the apartment (which provided the washer) for about six months. After resetting the breaker, the machine appears to function normally.

Should I be worried? Is there any potential danger?

There appears to be a slight leak of moisture from the bottom of the front-loading door. Is it shorting out? Could I be electrocuted?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Baron Porkface posted:

If by "burn" you mean "take part in a fusion reaction with the result being net energy output", it's to do with the curve of binding energy:

The Y axis is binding energy per nucleon (proton or neutron) and the X axis is total # of nucleons; Hydrogen has 1*, Helium has 4*, carbon has 12*, and gold has 197*.

So, if you fuse two elements together, the net amount of energy you get out is proportional to the difference between the Y positions on this graph - so if you fuse two protons together, you go from hydrogen (1 proton) to deuterium (an isotope of hydrogen, with one proton and one neutron), and the reaction yeilds a neutrino and 1.442Mev of energy (according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton%E2%80%93proton_chain)

However, as you go up in nucleons, you see that the amount of energy available from each fuse steadly decreases and stops generating energy at iron (Fe/56); elements beyond that cost energy to make and so are typically only produced as part of supernovae and other stellar catatstrophic events where there's a sufficiently large external source of energy to make the fusion happen.

So, basically, you can burn gold in a star but it makes it colder; if you supply enough it makes it go out or explode **.

Now, on the other hand, you can burn hydrogen and carbon, but not helium, and gold, because of quantum mechanics (gold is actually gold-colored instead of silverish because of relativity, but that's another story). The fast answer here is that hydrogen has 1 electron in it's outer shell of electron but 2 is a lower energy state, helium has 2 so it's already in the lowest state so it doesn't bond with oxygen, carbon has 4 and prefers 8, oxygen has 6 and prefers 8; oxidization (burning) is attaching oxygen atoms to other things so you get classics like:

2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O (hydrogen + oxygen make water - the two hydrogens are each sharing an electron with the oxygen so they "have" 2 each and oxygen "has" 8 and everyone's happy).

Note that this reaction only releases 5.7 eV net energy compared to the fusion reaction of 1.44 million eV; fission reactions are similarly off the chain, where splitting one atom of pretty much any usable fission fuel gets you ~ 200 million Ev (the binding energy difference per nucleon is a lot smaller but there are 235 of them in enriched uranium so it kind-of evens out).

What about gold, then? Gold has unfilled outer shells and would like to fill them, like everything else, except that the gold-gold bonds are easier to make than most other bonds (https://www.thefreelibrary.com/What+makes+gold+such+a+noble+metal%3F-a017352490) so it generally stays gold unless you hit it with a strong acid.

* This is before we start talking about isotopes, which are versions of elements with the same number of protons (protons determine number of electrons, which determine chemical properties, which are how elements are defined) but different numbers of neutrons.
** Requires a star >25 solar masses and a volume of gold c. the size of the earth.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

On Saturday afternoon, my washing machine tripped the breaker. It’s never happened before, but I’ve only been in the apartment (which provided the washer) for about six months. After resetting the breaker, the machine appears to function normally.

Should I be worried? Is there any potential danger?

There appears to be a slight leak of moisture from the bottom of the front-loading door. Is it shorting out? Could I be electrocuted?

Breakers tripping is never a good sign except insofar as the breaker tripping protects you from other, bigger issues. But it's hard to say what exactly the problem is without having an electrician take a look.

The safest explanation (not necessarily the most likely, just the one that, if correct, poses the least danger to you) is that the circuit that the washing machine is on was overloaded. That is, between it and the other devices on the circuit, they combined to draw more current than the circuit breaker can handle, so it tripped. If this is the case, moving other devices off of that circuit, or making sure not to run them when the washing machine is running, would be a sufficient fix.

Another, probably more likely explanation, is that the breaker has the ability to detect ground faults, and there's a ground fault in the washing machine, potentially caused by the moisture you found. Ground faults can potentially result in electrocution. If you post a photo of the circuit breaker, we can tell you if it has ground fault protection.

In any case, if this is a rental, it's not your problem. Call your landlord and tell them that the washing machine is broken and potentially dangerous.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there a thread where people would know about reverse osmosis water systems?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Washington state.

It's it goodspaceguy?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why are the blue lights on some LED Christmas lights so intense? It’s almost hard to look at them

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

tuyop posted:

Is there a thread where people would know about reverse osmosis water systems?

Discussion > Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses › Plumbing: Grab your nipples and ballcocks

This looks like a general plumbing megathread.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Thanatosian posted:

It's it goodspaceguy?

Oh man, he's a good one. Thanks! I found my County's past candidate list by googling him too.

I could've sworn I also remembered some kind of techbro engineer or scientist type who changed his middle name to "The" but all I can find is "Mike The Mover" from 2014.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

Why are the blue lights on some LED Christmas lights so intense? It’s almost hard to look at them

I would hazard a guess that this is because the manufacturers are buying whatever LEDs are cheapest, rather than the ones that are best-suited to the specific job. So if bright blue LEDs happen to be cheaper than dimmer ones (easily possible if there's a large supply of them), they'll use those instead of ones that are a better match for the other LEDs in the strand.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Some sites like Etsy just love to keep opening tabs; for example, if I search for "garnet necklace" and click on one I like, it will spawn a new tab for that necklace. Is there a way to override this in Chrome?

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Some sites like Etsy just love to keep opening tabs; for example, if I search for "garnet necklace" and click on one I like, it will spawn a new tab for that necklace. Is there a way to override this in Chrome?

Does opening the context menu and selecting Open Link, instead of Open Link In New Tab, accomplish the desired goal?

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Also middle clicking a tab closes it if you weren't aware.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I have recently decided that I want to have more stupid poo poo in my home and have invested in a Phillips Hue bridge and a couple of other Hue products. This is working fine. I also managed to connect my IKEA trådløs bulb to the bridge. Because it's this apparent success, I decided to buy some Ledvance bulbs, which I expected to work with the Hue bridge. And they loving don't. I can connect to them with the Ledvance app no problem, but I cannot find them from the Hue app. I have tried disabling 5ghz WiFi. I have done various and numerous resets of the bulbs and I have tried to read up on ZigBee. Both the bridge and the bulbs should be ZigBee LL compatible. The bulbs seem to have two "unconnected" modes: fast blink and slow blink. The Ledvance app can connect when they are fast blinking no problem. But the Hue app cannot see them under any circumstances.

So my question is: can I get the fuckers to register on the Hue bridge/så 3 somehow? And how? Google tells me that it's possible and easy, but the last part definitely isn't right.

According to Google it matters that I'm in the EU.

Edit: found the home automation thread in IYG, I'm crossposting this post there.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
What do you call a song that uses the same melody as an existing song (though does not sample it) and just changes the lyrics? I know in Weird Al's case, those are parodies, but there's a song that was a hit in the 90s I think that was largely just "Every Breath You Take" but most lyrics changed. It's maybe not the best example but it's the one that comes to mind. If it's not a sample, not a cover, not a parody, nor entirely their own song, what is it? Dude at the bar said legally if the song maintains the semblance of the original but some lyrics or all lyrics are changed it's still a parody and I said sir are you my Uber driver because it feels like you're taking me for a ride.