Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Kennel posted:

:siren: Surgeon's Tales :siren:

And that was Egon Meuronen's Välskärin kertomuksia (1956-62), based on Fältskärns berättelser (1851-66) by Zachris Topelius. Honestly not the most satisfying ending and it kind of felt that there would be more, but I guess you can't expect a perfectly planned structure from a story that ran originally as a newspaper serial for 15 years.

The book was perhaps a bit better communicating that the last third of the story was mainly about the Bertelskölds and Larssons settling their feud, and then aristocratic and common-born members of the Bertelsköld family to find a mutual respect and love. Ester's refusal to use the magic ring ended up being a crucial moment, although it didn't really feel like that, when I read it.

But all in all it was nice and quite educational trip. I surely learned a lot about the 17th and 18th century Northern European history and it was a joy to share it with you for these three years.

Any feedback and questions are more than welcome.

I'm going to clean up the early strips a bit and then find some way to share the whole thing as a whole. I've also chosen my next project and it will start in January.

This has been a delight to read. Thank you for taking the effort to translate it for us! :)

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 10, 1948)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 3, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 3, 2000)

Garfield Classic (March 3, 1990)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 - Jason

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

Note that in the background of panel 5 you can see the creature that emerged from the sea riding Maggie's Harley at the end of part 3.

Also from Georgia Dunn's Instagram:

Georgia Dunn posted:

This handsome Bond villain! 😂❤️ He’s having good days and low energy days. Even on the low energy days Lupin still occasionally jumps over Elvis or across a table. He is thinner, sleepier, and a bit shakier, but in good spirits. Still interested in everything around him, still eating and drinking great. Saturday he sees the cardiologist! Fingers crossed for some answers and ways to keep him comfortable and happy. He still loves sitting over lamps, Lupin has enjoyed this since he was a kitten. ❤💡

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

WOOOOOO, I'M THE GHOST OF COMIC STRIP THREADS PAST.
In other words, I felt like posting a couple days of Mutts, just for variety.

I'm always happy to see Mutts pop up. It's rarely laugh-out-loud funny but it's always cute and usually worth a smirk.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

How about you get a job, you little poo poo? :mad:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Skippy edition)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I'm on board with The Family Circus's pivot into a nihilistic exposee of the horrors of American suburbia in late-stage capitalism

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Gunther, you are an adult. I have not gotten the impression that your mom is uptight or overprotective or religious or anything. She knows you are in a long-term committed relationship and likely assumes the two of you are boning already.

It's almost like Gunther wants to die a virgin

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Is this a repeat from back when Chazz was single? Does anyone know if Chazz was ever single in this strip?

Rex Morgan MD

God this is dumb.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

"I swear if you have breakfast before I get there, I will find you, and I will kill you."

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

Gunther, you are an adult. I have not gotten the impression that your mom is uptight or overprotective or religious or anything. She knows you are in a long-term committed relationship and likely assumes the two of you are boning already.

It's almost like Gunther wants to die a virgin

if she hasn't just left at this point, it's something they're both into

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This dog's happiness is of paramount importance to me, as I showed when I got bored of its presence 3 days after I got it.

Also Gunther is definitely terrified of his own boners.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As much fun as it is to hate Gunther I'll apologize to Luann for everything if the follow-up panel to telling his mom he wants to sleep with his girlfriend is mom giving a thumbs up and a grandkids joke. But it's Luann so this is just a set up for another dull and stupid argument because sex is weird.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
She has demonstrated detailed knowledge of his pyjama inventory; they been sleeping together.

And it's perfectly normal for there to be social awkwardness around the first time an unmarried couple gets down under a parent's roof no matter how cool said parents are.
Is this some kind of generational thing?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

It's a Luann thing. It's a strip about college age characters who blush at the idea of holding hands with people they're openly dating. Author has done abstinence education strips on the side. All the Gunther strips read like Gunther positively dreads having to tell his mother he has thought about laying with a woman.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Thranguy posted:

Is this some kind of generational thing?

guess so. it's a separate building even, lol

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Judging by how she looks at you she wants to be more than friends, Kit. All that time in prison made her awful thirsty.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doomykins posted:

Gunther positively dreads having to tell his mother he has thought about laying with a woman.

Yeah me too and I'm more than twice his age

Some people's moms just be that way

(not that it would or has actually stopped me, mind)

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Medenmath posted:

This has been a delight to read. Thank you for taking the effort to translate it for us! :)

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 10, 1948)

Cedric is going to ascend to the throne due to the king accidentally stabbing himself in the back 12 times before Val and his army can even get back to the castle.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Doomykins posted:

It's a Luann thing. It's a strip about college age characters who blush at the idea of holding hands with people they're openly dating. Author has done abstinence education strips on the side. All the Gunther strips read like Gunther positively dreads having to tell his mother he has thought about laying with a woman.

The annoying thing about the strip is that the authors want to have it both ways -- they want some readers to think the main characters are having sexual relationships, but they also want some readers to think they're not. They're trying to be cheekily ambiguous, but it winds up being really juvenile.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

They are mocking Ed and bonding. Wholesome.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If anyone, Gunther should run it past Les, his roommate, with whom he presumably shares a wall.

Gunther is close to his mom and lives in her back yard, so it's not like I think he should keep it a secret. I just don't think he should be ashamedly asking permission like he's planning to do some terrible act. More like they're having a normal conversation and Mom asks about Gunther's nice girlfriend, as moms do, and Gunther says, "Yeah, Bets is great. We're actually thinking we want to spend the holiday break together. She's sick of being cooped up with her roommates, so she wants to stay with me for the break. I'm looking forward to spending more time with her! Pass the peas?" Then mom can approve or disapprove or freak out about her little baby growing up as she sees fit, but at least Gunther is coming at it from a positive direction and not like he's confessing to hitting a baseball through the neighbor's window or something.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako: chapter 2

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Gunther wants to die a virgin

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

any time chacha isnt on screen everyone should be saying where's chacha

especially if you're in battle with chacha

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Vargo posted:

I'm always happy to see Mutts pop up. It's rarely laugh-out-loud funny but it's always cute and usually worth a smirk.

Even if the writing has scaled back dramatically from the beginning, I really dig the art style.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (April 6, 1934)

Peanuts (December 18, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (July 16, 1938)

Out Our Way (November 18-20, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (June 10-12, 1918)

Dok's "Everyone Knows A Family Like This (If They're Not In One)" Duck (November 21, 1913)

Welcome to the beginning of year two of Little Lefty. And how do we celebrate? A bop on the snoot, that's how. (October 10-12, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (June 1-3, 1931)

Out Our Way At Christmas (December 10, 24-26, 1925, and yes, the spoiler is about a certain character design in the background.)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "442 - Jucika's Running Stadium Record"

"443 - Jucika Is Also Studying"

"Dolgozók esti iskolája = Evening School For Workers"

History fans take note this was the first documented instance of the need for a modern day Horny Jail. Pusztai had gone too far this time.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i gotta say, i have said "santy" in my head a lot more since i started reading this thread

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

An all-timer. Absolutely incredible.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! January 11, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True January 20, 1919

Gay and Her Gang January 25, 1930

Oaky Doaks June 26, 1936

Mopsy September 3, 1937

Up Front October 7, 1944

Dark Laughter March 18, 1950

So It Seems March 10, 1952

Those Were the Days October 17, 1957

Wee Pals March 18, 1966

Dogbert October 4, 1966

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

riderchop posted:

i gotta say, i have said "santy" in my head a lot more since i started reading this thread

Lawsee, super weird of you to pick up early 20th century slang from this thread

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 18-20, 1937)

A sad tale of gambling addiction, tbh.

And thanks again to Kennel for Surgeon’s Tales!

Classic Zits

[bLove is Helk[/b]

Sylvia

No Marlys today!

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 16, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

riderchop posted:

I suspect I might be using 'blame' as an adjective myself.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

Guest written by Scott McCloud.