Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The first seat I was able to secure for Spoder-Mun was 10:30 AM on Friday lol

I enjoy the Hawkeye program but the friction between Marvel Netflix and D+ Netflix is already really apparent to me. Kingpin should literally not even register on Hawkeye’s radar, IMO.

Like, being generous, Fisk has about as much power as maybe a Saudi Arab prince or a major African warlord. Virtually unlimited resources, fingers in a lot of pies, etc, but first and foremost he is a business man focused on his region and it’s place in the world. His ultimate endgame is merely power, mostly political power, but he’s not a doomsday villain. People would still live and work and get married and have lives if they ‘won’ or whatever.

Meanwhile Clint has squared off against psychic aliens, multidimensional demi-gods, and nuclear powered space-age AI’s who all wanted to end ALL LIFE (or half w/e) as we know it. Killing all humans, blowing up the planet, or just erasing life from existence… this is the kind of poo poo that Clint cashed his checks for.

Fisk was only ever meant to be the Apex predator for small scale urban supes like Spider-Man and Daredevil, and unlike all of Peter or Matt’s villains I think Fisk scales the worst to a bigger stage. I almost feel like Kingpin has no power outside NYC, that doesn’t feel like a threat, to me, compared to literally any of the other villains from the D+ shows. It also kind of highlights how funny and weird it is to make Spider-Man this much bigger, globally recognized Avenger character… like Spider-Man is literally less useful than Hawkeye in multiple situations, like Fisk he almost needs NYC for his powers to function (not literally, but you get what I’m saying)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Feige's explanation of how Daredevil could fit in the MCU made it seem a lot like he won't be the same guy from the Netflix show.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Guessing either (Hawkeye) Matt or Vanessa got blipped.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We're definitely trading up with the new 2022 Widow and Hawkeye models, goddamn.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

live with fruit posted:

Feige's explanation of how Daredevil could fit in the MCU made it seem a lot like he won't be the same guy from the Netflix show.

Except Fiege literally promised outloud in an interview “if we see Daredevil in the MCU, it WILL be Charlie Cox” like maybe a week ago, so between that and D’Onofrio it’s just a given.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Except Fiege literally promised outloud in an interview “if we see Daredevil in the MCU, it WILL be Charlie Cox” like maybe a week ago, so between that and D’Onofrio it’s just a given.

That doesn't mean it's the same character. And given the way Marvel distances itself from the shows it itself produced, there's nothing to suggest they're going to fold Netflix's story into theirs. Especially since that'd make Iron Fist cannon and everyone hates that show.

Also, we know that everybody looks the same across the multiverse. Charlie Cox is probably just what Daredevil looks like.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It was sure nice of Clint to kill scores of low level mooks as Ronin but not go after "the big guy"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bust Rodd posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean they're going to adopt the continuity of the Netflix show, though.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rarity posted:

VINCENT D'ONOFORIO LET'S FUCKIN GOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t though? Why bring over the cast from the Netflix drama if only to poo poo all over them and ignore their events? Nothing that happens in DD, Luke Cage, etc couldn’t have all happened in the current MCU

Like, by including the original cast, you are making a promise to the fans of those programs. Marvel absolutely understands that, there’s no money is pissing everyone off.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t though? Why bring over the cast from the Netflix drama if only to poo poo all over them and ignore their events? Nothing that happens in DD, Luke Cage, etc couldn’t have all happened in the current MCU

Like, by including the original cast, you are making a promise to the fans of those programs. Marvel absolutely understands that, there’s no money is pissing everyone off.

why incorporate all their bullshit into the main canon when you can simply have the actors fans like and ignore everything you don't

regardless what they do one way or another, there is zero chance in hell that marvel execs give a poo poo about anyone that will be Pissed Off that the full events of the Netflix Daredevil are not integrated into the overall plot

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Disney also probably doesn't want to direct people to a competitor to get caught up to speed

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The idea that fans of the show just want the actor but don’t want the content of the program seems patently insane to me. The Netflix Marvel shows spanned for like 4 years and cost millions and millions and were huge deals with tons of buzz and media attention. Daredevil was like the absolute biggest show on the internet, the fight scenes went viral as gently caress, it was so successful it spawned a billion spin-offs… the fans are fans of the shows, not just their presentations of the characters. These were not “cult” shows with tiny fan bases, they were fairly mainstream.

We’re also in the midst of incorporating two completely separate Spider-Man franchises from 20 years ago into the existing lore. I doubt they’d go through the trouble to do that and then consider the Netflix stuff to be too much work or not worth it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Probably helps Disney in contract negotiations too. "Oh, you want more money? Well, maybe in this universe Foggy Nelson is played by somebody else"

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just a heads up for everyone: YouTube is starting to get swarmed with potential spoilers for No Way Home. I say potential because with deepfakes and editing anything goes.

Doesn't bother me that much since I'll be seeing the movie in a couple of hours, but hope it helps you guys that have to wait a couple of days to keep off YouTube as much as possible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Quick aside but it’ll be so funny if that’s the entire Jack plotline and we just don’t see him in episode 6

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

The idea that fans of the show just want the actor but don’t want the content of the program seems patently insane to me. The Netflix Marvel shows spanned for like 4 years and cost millions and millions and were huge deals with tons of buzz and media attention. Daredevil was like the absolute biggest show on the internet, the fight scenes went viral as gently caress, it was so successful it spawned a billion spin-offs… the fans are fans of the shows, not just their presentations of the characters. These were not “cult” shows with tiny fan bases, they were fairly mainstream.

We’re also in the midst of incorporating two completely separate Spider-Man franchises from 20 years ago into the existing lore. I doubt they’d go through the trouble to do that and then consider the Netflix stuff to be too much work or not worth it.

Jarvis was in Endgame but Agent Carter isn't included in the MCU on Disney+ so there is a precedent.

Also, sidenote, Shuri is on their banner on the Marvel page. Seems interesting, all things considered.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

The idea that fans of the show just want the actor but don’t want the content of the program seems patently insane to me.

on the contrary it is extremely normal to like specific actors in their roles but not really give a poo poo about whether their netflix canon is Respected

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Jarvis was in Endgame but Agent Carter isn't included in the MCU on Disney+ so there is a precedent.

Also, sidenote, Shuri is on their banner on the Marvel page. Seems interesting, all things considered.

Shuri is the new Black Panther in the sequel, I believe. Not sure where I heard that, but that's what's in my head.

Edit: I would like them to leave all of the Netflix story stuff behind because I don't want to watch it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I only recognize Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung.

The guy they got to portray Shang Tsung in the most recent film is a lame pretender to the throne.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

mutata posted:

Shuri is the new Black Panther in the sequel, I believe. Not sure where I heard that, but that's what's in my head.

Edit: I would like them to leave all of the Netflix story stuff behind because I don't want to watch it.

I liked Luke Cage. The second season kinda fell off for me but hey thats a cool character to bring back

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Assuming they bring in Charlie Cox for Daredevil at some point, does his Netflix backstory even really matter? His entire arc in the Netflix shows basically ends up with him back where he started. If it was, like, Luke Cage sure - you'd either have to chuck the continuity or spend time picking up the mob boss stuff. But DD? There aren't too many storylines where you explicitly have to deal with him fighting his brainwashed ninja ex-girlfriend in front of a dragon skeleton in order to get on with the plot.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

mutata posted:

not if letitia wright has anything to say about it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The easiest way of integrating the Netflix shows is to just recast Iron Fist with a dude who doesn't suck. Everyone loves Charlie Cox and Krysten Ritter and Mike Colter and all three can carry their weight in further products so just turf out the one guy who's poo poo and bring in someone else

Anyway when does Fiege announce our Kate Bishop/Yelena Romanov buddy cop movie? :argh:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rarity posted:

Anyway when does Feige announce our Kate Bishop/Yelena Romanov buddy cop romance movie? :argh:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

Anyway when does Fiege announce our Kate Bishop/Yelena Romanov buddy cop romance movie? :argh:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

mutata posted:

That was probably going to be the case and now almost certainly will not be the case

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Another person that would have been just fine if they were only capable of shutting up about how they think vaccines are a government mind control conspiracy

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I liked recently when the rumor was "Wright can't stop spouting antivax rhetoric on the set to other cast members and probably isn't vaccinated" and she responded with "hey, I wouldn't do that. I keep the rhetoric to myself at work, thank you."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rarity posted:

Anyway when does Fiege announce our Kate Bishop/Yelena Romanov buddy cop movie? :argh:

Hear me out here:
Bodyswap movie!
Due to comic book nonsense they trade bodies and then they suddenly have to pretend to be each other. Kate has to do a high level body guarding gig, while Yelena gets to spent a few days in college.
I want Florence Pugh playing Kate Bishop pretending to be Yelena Belova and vice versa.

It's impressive how Yelena managed to become my favorite, after one mediocre movie and one episode of a tv series. I really think I need to seek out other works of the actress.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 16, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

That was probably going to be the case and now almost certainly will not be the case

Oh, yeah, for sure she's not in for the long-term, but I thought that Black Panther 2 was already finished shooting so she'd at least be heading that one.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

mutata posted:

Oh, yeah, for sure she's not in for the long-term, but I thought that Black Panther 2 was already finished shooting so she'd at least be heading that one.

Nope, shooting is on hold because she got injured on set and there were issues in getting her back to the US after convalescing in the UK because she doesn’t meet vaccination requirements. They are supposedly supposed to start filming again in late January.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Both Florence Pugh and Hailee Steinfeld are amazing actors and Marvel would be dumb if they didn't have those two leading the next group of Avengers.

Fortunately that's what it seems like they're setting up.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Klungar posted:

Nope, shooting is on hold because she got injured on set and there were issues in getting her back to the US after convalescing in the UK because she doesn’t meet vaccination requirements. They are supposedly supposed to start filming again in late January.

Antivax actor got "injured" on set, yeah,

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Pastamania posted:

Assuming they bring in Charlie Cox for Daredevil at some point, does his Netflix backstory even really matter? His entire arc in the Netflix shows basically ends up with him back where he started. If it was, like, Luke Cage sure - you'd either have to chuck the continuity or spend time picking up the mob boss stuff. But DD? There aren't too many storylines where you explicitly have to deal with him fighting his brainwashed ninja ex-girlfriend in front of a dragon skeleton in order to get on with the plot.

this is almost certainly how it will work despite people itt's weird insistence that it won't

they have a built in plot device called The Blip they have can and will use to resolve any continuity issues. Kingpin probably just didn't get blipped after S3 and Matt did, then we're years later and Kingpin is more powerful than he ever was and Matt is back but basically has to start over. nothing in any of the Netflix shows was big enough scale to still require any work on Marvel's part to plan around, they'll just acknowledge that poo poo happened as a fan shout out and a shortcut to skip any character development for those characters and then move on with whatever they want to do with them now

as for Iron Fist, if they do want to bring the character back they'll just write that idiot out and it'll be a different guy or girl and explain it away. they recast Rhodie and played it off with a joke. they're making Shuri the Black Panther because the old actor loving died.

nobody gives a poo poo about Iron Fist, he's not going to be an obstacle to anything. old Iron Fist got run over by a tugboat during the Blip, now its an Asian girl. problem solved

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah at this point Iron Fist is completely redundant. We've got Shang Chi.

I mean unless they want to do Defenders again, but why?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

I mean unless they want to do Defenders again, but why?

Defenders could have been cool if it didn't involve known story-poison Elektra.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Honestly Daredevil was mostly great because of the dynamic between Matt, Karen and Foggy - and D'Onofrio's version of Kingpin.

If they nail or recreate that I won't really care about whether the plot is technically canon or not. I barely remember the actual plot - I mostly remember those guys hanging out and Kingpin being menacing. Everything after season 1 is terrible nonsense anyway so :shrug:. Same goes for Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

The worst part of those characters being integrated into the MCU/D+ is that we almost certainly aren't going to get stuff like Fisk destroying a dude's head with a car door or all the heavy poo poo in Jessica Jones.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bleck posted:

Defenders could have been cool if it didn't involve known story-poison Elektra Netflix's writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hear me out here:
Bodyswap movie!
Due to comic book nonsense they trade bodies and then they suddenly have to pretend to be each other. Kate has to do a high level body guarding gig, while Yelena gets to spent a few days in college.
I want Florence Pugh playing Kate Bishop pretending to be Yelena Belova and vice versa.

It's impressive how Yelena managed to become my favorite, after one mediocre movie and one episode of a tv series. I really think I need to seek out other works of the actress.

Fighting with my Family was great.