Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

freeedr posted:

A few months ago a kid came in for his athletics physical and had already filled out the healthcare provider field for height as 6’. I told him he would have to print a new one so I could write his correct height on there (5’ 9.5”). I also regularly ask people their height but then measure them anyway and it seems like the men are lying more than 50% of the time. My daughter also once had a boyfriend who said he was 6’3” and I could see straight over the top of his head.

I'm 5'11'' and have had numerous friends assume I was >6' , the secret is to be skinny and constantly emit Tall Energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

crepeface posted:

just because some posters in here were too dumb to get satire doesn't mean everything's gotta be either transformers or blood diamond

Hey Mr Bay.... I got an idea

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

freeedr posted:

A few months ago a kid came in for his athletics physical and had already filled out the healthcare provider field for height as 6’. I told him he would have to print a new one so I could write his correct height on there (5’ 9.5”). I also regularly ask people their height but then measure them anyway and it seems like the men are lying more than 50% of the time. My daughter also once had a boyfriend who said he was 6’3” and I could see straight over the top of his head.

This must be why people always insist I must be taller than 6'2" even though I'm 6', maybe 6'1" at most. All the shorts are skewing perception.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm 5'11'' and have had numerous friends assume I was >6' , the secret is to be skinny and constantly emit Tall Energy.
It did seem to stop when I got fat :hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/w000rm/status/1470904323513237507?t=bPwXkt7L_QzjhCm2ROJT2Q&s=19

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

apatheticman posted:

Hey Mr Bay.... I got an idea

a priceless tiffany's diamond necklace that transforms into a robot?! sold!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

freeedr posted:

I also regularly ask people their height but then measure them anyway and it seems like the men are lying more than 50% of the time.
I unknowingly lied about my height for the longest time because my dad and I were (and kinda still are) the same height and he was convinced that he was 6'4" for his entire life, so I guess he was a bit generous when measuring me growing up. The last time my height was measured medically was with my pediatrician when I was a kid, so I just went with what my dad told me for my entire young adult life.

I think people lying about their height is more than just about pride; for a lot of them it stems from one person making themselves taller, so people who don't know better just go "well, I'm taller than he is, so I must be n+1 inch" all the way up.

I only found out because I went to give plasma at the Red Cross and they apparently have to measure and weigh you for that; they had me at 6'2" / 170 lbs. Turns out that was also wrong but it made double check.

So yeah, hope you guys loved learning about my height!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

freeedr posted:

A few months ago a kid came in for his athletics physical and had already filled out the healthcare provider field for height as 6’. I told him he would have to print a new one so I could write his correct height on there (5’ 9.5”).

Actually, he's not even 5' 9.5". He's 5' 9.46".

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

5'11, 6', what's the difference. Just get that fuckin' thing off the shelf already

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CordlessPen posted:

I unknowingly lied about my height for the longest time because my dad and I were (and kinda still are) the same height and he was convinced that he was 6'4" for his entire life, so I guess he was a bit generous when measuring me growing up. The last time my height was measured medically was with my pediatrician when I was a kid, so I just went with what my dad told me for my entire young adult life.

I think people lying about their height is more than just about pride; for a lot of them it stems from one person making themselves taller, so people who don't know better just go "well, I'm taller than he is, so I must be n+1 inch" all the way up.

I only found out because I went to give plasma at the Red Cross and they apparently have to measure and weigh you for that; they had me at 6'2" / 170 lbs. Turns out that was also wrong but it made double check.

So yeah, hope you guys loved learning about my height!
I am not A Tall but I had such horrible posture in college that every time I did the grotesque series of spine pops that got me to my actual height people would freak out that I was not A Short.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, fair enough, I can't necessarily claim that Heinlein is pro that nonsense. At the very least, it really didn't read like satire to me.

Unless I'm part of the problem, I guess?

the book isn't satire, it is juvenile lit that is pro-militarist, and people have varyingly read it as either fascist or not fascist. its military sci fi that is half cool soldier adventures with power armor and the other half thought experiments in worldbuilding, "what if the UN was actually very muscular and the global military was in charge of everything?" its easy to forget that heinlein wrote a bunch of books for teenage audiences which are pretty simple adventure stories, and also that his personal political views were not deeply set and he whipsawed wildly in the mid 20th century between traditional american nationalism and space hippie drugs and sex bullshit

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

5'11, 6', what's the difference. Just get that fuckin' thing off the shelf already

someone at the grocery store was very offended when I offered to get something off the upper shelf for them, and then indignantly climbed up a bit on her cart to reach at tiptoe

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My doctor made a big deal about how there was no way I was actually 5'11" and I was like poo poo man I didn't put that on my ID the DMV did, I came in looking for anxiety and depression treatment

Apparently I'm 5'9" and more importantly I'm full of SSRIs now :toot:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/TallDarknJewish/status/1470843243440922626

https://twitter.com/jwfathereeDC/status/1471114681209163778

https://twitter.com/Free_Media_Hub/status/1471122726010163203

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Splicer posted:

I am not A Tall but I had such horrible posture in college that every time I did the grotesque series of spine pops that got me to my actual height people would freak out that I was not A Short.

this is a scene from a horror movie

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/toukomaruu/status/1470817557703761929

https://twitter.com/whorreganic/status/1470811921133670402

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Dec 15, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/kfdmnews/status/1470865863947563014?s=20

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We were warned, but we didn't listen. We only had 3 to 5 minutes to regret our mistake

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just once. Just once I want to see the switch flipped and have the police treat these kids of people the same way they treat unarmed, innocent black folk

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Heinlein was a science fiction author so he probably was a pervert.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ridetheory/status/1471162945048440838?t=pe3XHpVMGk5Iicb7cnaaIQ&s=19

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think part of why no one seems to know their real height stems from a weird American idea that average male height is like 6' when it's actually 5'8", so now it's just an elaborate web of people gaslighting themselves and others.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh hey, I drove by this the other day.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I think part of why no one seems to know their real height stems from a weird American idea that average male height is like 6' when it's actually 5'8", so now it's just an elaborate web of people gaslighting themselves and others.

I thought it was 4’. This is very disturbing.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Might be some internalized misogyny too; I know it is for me! I'm a 5'8" woman, but constantly see dudes as taller than they are (even if they're actually shorter than me). I once had a boss that was 5'6" and it took my coworkers pointing out to me that I was taller than him for me to realize it. :shrug: Him being a dude, plus in a position of power, made him seem taller, I guess.

lament.cfg posted:

I thought it was 4’. This is very disturbing.

:wiggle:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NicoleConlan/status/1471186403136466947

:thunk:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/airbagged/status/1471116797109747715?t=KJmzSPjw9jW38IsC8xnzbg&s=19

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Apparently he and his second wife had a threesome with L. Ron Hubbard. Normally I wouldn't count a threesome as kinky but inviting L Ron Hubbard changes the math.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Exposing myself as trash here, but I absolutely loving love this.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
same, it took me a second to fully realize what it was depicting and then i was like :tviv:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
yeah that fuckin rules

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Read After Burning posted:

crack and gayness

Incredible.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

I used to be 6’ exactly. Now I am about 5’3/4” due to back problems and discs becoming flatbois. :smith:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1471115056985247746

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Hello my urine Angels. :angel:

https://twitter.com/renissance_1/status/1470632082976169987?s=20

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

My SO insisted repeatedly that I was no more than 5'9". I had to pull out TWO driver's licenses, one of them expired, one saying six foot one saying six foot one, before she'd drop it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CharlestheHammer posted:

???? Movies have always been morality plays.

They suck at it but that’s a different thing

*chuckling to my date* man, you would never catch me being a train pulling into a station

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the book isn't satire, it is juvenile lit that is pro-militarist, and people have varyingly read it as either fascist or not fascist. its military sci fi that is half cool soldier adventures with power armor and the other half thought experiments in worldbuilding, "what if the UN was actually very muscular and the global military was in charge of everything?"

hm yeah no way to say whether its fascist or not, some things are just unknowable

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

PYF Tweets: Hello my urine Angels

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

John Lee posted:

one saying six foot one saying six foot one

Man I could not parse this for the longest time.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Not just urine. Aged urine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/pourmecoffee/status/1246202155721162753