Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
At this point I think the chances of a lockdown are more dependent on internal Tory politics than anything we could predict. We could just as easily be in lockdown on Friday evening with PM Truss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Laurence Fox lost like far more of a loving idiot.

God, that was satisfying.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1471043794695081987

e: also this. The camera that destroyed Allegra Stratton is looking for more victims

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1471209740604743687

and a bonus incredible CWS

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1471230086892470279

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 15, 2021

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

namesake posted:

^^^^Surely they're primarily going to be no name non-political staff so there's little political reason to identify them?

Yes I think only the organisers would be liable for the £10k fine but I think there'd still potentially be some punishment for attending.

They are all no-namers until they're named. Then someone works out that one's the son of a duke, the other's the wife of the chief whip and the one on the floor has been in three local elections standing as a councillor for the conservatives.
That's how political parties work isn't it? You grind your way up in HQ or as cannon-fodder candidates in hopeless contests for safe seats, then one day an MP chokes themselves to death while wanking and you get parachuted into their safe seat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Figures that the perfect synthesis between Old Tory advancement and New Tory advancement would be by dead man's bootstraps.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

He can claim he attended rather than organised, but I’d put a small bet on the platters being paid for out of his budget at least, if not his pocket.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Endjinneer posted:

They are all no-namers until they're named. Then someone works out that one's the son of a duke, the other's the wife of the chief whip and the one on the floor has been in three local elections standing as a councillor for the conservatives.
That's how political parties work isn't it? You grind your way up in HQ or as cannon-fodder candidates in hopeless contests for safe seats, then one day an MP chokes themselves to death while wanking and you get parachuted into their safe seat.

Okay but who would name them? Someone could stalk LinkedIn and match faces but even if they are not-yet-beens rather than no names then there's no reason why any one would be able to pick them out with ease.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

namesake posted:

Okay but who would name them? Someone could stalk LinkedIn and match faces but even if they are not-yet-beens rather than no names then there's no reason why any one would be able to pick them out with ease.

Just takes one random non-tory person on the internet who went to university with them/lives on the same street to go "hang on, that was the twat who"

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

namesake posted:

Everyone seemed to be going for the easy strikes on the lightning rod rather than doing that. The hive-mind is pretty good at identifying people when it chooses to. The graun is filling in the blanks but reports that quite a few are deleting their profiles.

The Graun posted:

Adam Wildman, a Conservative councillor in the London borough of Bexley...Alexander Thompson who mastermind[ed] Vote Leave’s video ads...Ben Mallet, Bailey’s campaign director....Malin Bogue, an aide to his mayoral campaign...Bailey’s agent, Kerry Halfpenny, is to the right of Candy in a patterned dress.

Some of these were just learning their trade on Bailey's campaign and they'll be around for a while. People on these hallowed forums have posted examples of information being released on left-wingers that suggested a systematic attempt to record their social media output that started before they were prominent. We need to respond in kind. Carve their names with malice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that the reason bailey gets more attention is that even if there is someone who does know the others, nobody else is going to, you need to actually be someone important for people to give a poo poo, and we already know they're tory staffers, so tory staffer [specific] is not really a difference from tory staffer [in general]

But professional gobshite shaun bailey is like an actual person so he is gonna get more attention.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i think you should stop suggesting

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Shaun Bailey has two additional strikes against him in that he is
1) black, in a party that generally hates black people, and therefore isn't full of people wanting to cover his back; and
2) a bona fide racist, therefore not likely to be supported by anyone else

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you're demanding i ask

how did he manage to be racist?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

But professional gobshite shaun bailey is like an actual person

[citation needed], I'm still not sure he's not some kind of joke that's just gone on far too far.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

therattle posted:

^^^ yeah

I don't think any of the other attendees are instantly recognisable as London mayoral candidates. The only other person I've seen IDed is Nick Candy. I am guessing none of the others are high-profile at all.

I happen to know all of them. Now, let's see here...ah yes, that one's a Tory twat, this one's a Tory oval office, and as for this one...yep, they all seem to be thoroughly despicable members of the Conservative and Unionist Party

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Rishi is being noted for his absence. I wonder who he's meeting? It states 'industry leaders from the tech and investment sectors.'

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1471233603493371912

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is he trying to hadouken me through the monitor?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Why is his hand so tiny

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

learnincurve posted:

Just takes one random non-tory person on the internet who went to university with them/lives on the same street to go "hang on, that was the twat who"

Well they might be doing that but unless you're a facebook friend of theirs or they do it on twitter and it goes viral or a national newspaper decides to boost it then it won't be known by you.

Endjinneer posted:

Everyone seemed to be going for the easy strikes on the lightning rod rather than doing that. The hive-mind is pretty good at identifying people when it chooses to. The graun is filling in the blanks but reports that quite a few are deleting their profiles.

Some of these were just learning their trade on Bailey's campaign and they'll be around for a while. People on these hallowed forums have posted examples of information being released on left-wingers that suggested a systematic attempt to record their social media output that started before they were prominent. We need to respond in kind. Carve their names with malice.

This seems to be the press doing the groundwork so mission accomplished? There are going to be thousands of people, hundreds of thousands even, who broke lockdown restrictions on gatherings and until they become interesting later then what exactly is the point of getting aggrevated that notable people today are getting more attention than people who may never amount to anything of national importance?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

He's giving you the last few remaining "Rishi's Eat Out to Help Out" vouchers

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

That's Force Lightning.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Why is his hand so tiny

It's not it's just further away from the camera

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Omicron multiplies faster in airways, slower in lungs

This suggests to me that masks are extra important for this variant (but I'm no expert!)

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-thrives-airways-not-lungs-new-data-asymptomatic-cases-2021-12-15/

quote:

Dec 15 (Reuters) - The following is a summary of some recent studies on COVID-19. They include research that warrants further study to corroborate the findings and that has yet to be certified by peer review.

Omicron multiplies faster in airways, slower in lungs

Major differences in how efficiently Omicron and other variants of the coronavirus multiply may help predict Omicron's effects, researchers said on Wednesday.

Compared to the earlier Delta variant, Omicron multiplies itself 70 times more quickly in tissues that line airway passages, which may facilitate person-to-person spread, they said. But in lung tissues, Omicron replicates 10 times more slowly than the original version of the coronavirus, which might contribute to less-severe illness.

A formal report of the findings is under peer review for publication and has not been released by the research team. In a news release issued by Hong Kong University, study leader Dr. Michael Chan Chi-wai said, "It is important to note that the severity of disease in humans is not determined only by virus replication" but also by each person's immune response to the infection, which sometimes evolves into life-threatening inflammation.

Chan added, "By infecting many more people, a very infectious virus may cause more severe disease and death even though the virus itself may be less pathogenic. Therefore, taken together with our recent studies showing that the Omicron variant can partially escape immunity from vaccines and past infection, the overall threat from Omicron variant is likely to be very significant."

Omicron grips cells more tightly, withstands some antibodies

A structural model of how the Omicron variant attaches to cells and antibodies sheds light on its behavior and will help in designing neutralizing antibodies, according to researchers.

Using computer models of the spike protein on Omicron's surface, they analyzed molecular interactions occurring when the spike grabs onto a cell-surface protein called ACE2, the virus's gateway into the cell.

Metaphorically, the original virus had a handshake with ACE2, but Omicron's grip "looks more like a couple holding hands with their fingers entwined," said Joseph Lubin of Rutgers University in New Jersey. The "molecular anatomy" of the grip may assist in explaining how Omicron's mutations cooperate to help it infect cells, Lubin added.

The research team also modeled the spike with different classes of antibodies trying to attack it. The antibodies attack from different angles, "like a football team's defense might tackle a ball carrier," with one person grabbing from behind, another from the front, Lubin said. Some antibodies "appear likely to get shaken off" while others are likely to remain effective. Booster vaccines raise antibody levels, resulting in "more defenders," which might compensate to some extent for "a weaker grip of an individual antibody," Lubin said.

The findings, posted on Monday on the website bioRxiv ahead of peer review, need to be verified, "particularly with real-world samples from people," Lubin said. "While our molecular structure predictions are by no means a final word on Omicron, (we hope) they enable a faster and more effective response from the global community."

Four in 10 infected people may unknowingly spread virus

Infected people who show no symptoms might be contributing significantly to transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, given that they account for 40.5% of confirmed infections worldwide, according to a study published online Tuesday in the journal JAMA Network Open.

The researchers pooled data from 77 earlier studies involving a total of 19,884 individuals with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infections. They found that among infected people in the general community, about 40% were asymptomatic, as were 54% of infected pregnant women, 53% of infected air or cruise travelers, 48% of infected nursing home residents or staff and 30% of infected healthcare workers or hospitalized patients.

The pooled percentage of asymptomatic infections was about 46% in North America, 44% in Europe and 28% in Asia.

"The high percentage of asymptomatic infections highlights the potential transmission risk of asymptomatic infections in communities," wrote Min Liu and colleagues at Peking University in China. Officials should screen for asymptomatic infections, and those who are identified "should be under management similar to that for confirmed infections, including isolating and contact tracing."

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Communist Thoughts posted:

Why is his hand so tiny

He is tiny. About 4ft 2" in his built-up shoes.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Observing the UK response to Omicron, only one image comes to mind: that of Emperor Nero playing the fiddle whilst Rome burns to the ground.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Wizard Master posted:

Observing the UK response to Omicron, only one image comes to mind: that of Emperor Nero playing the fiddle whilst Rome burns to the ground.

Pretti? I thought you were clearing these chaps out?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

On 'where did British transphobia come from', this article is worth a read. Turns out that, as with many other things, it's at least partially down to us being a rentier economy - the UK was surprisingly tolerant until the Seventies, when a bunch of shithead aristocrats started getting worried that exclusively male inheritance of their properties was under threat.

https://twitter.com/femme_thoughts/status/1458479790068047878?s=21

Have any lawyers commented on this one? Much as I love the idea of this, the way the article talks about precedent makes it very clear the journalist writing this isn't a lawyer so I'm kind of iffy on the implied legal argument being made here. (Is the article implying a case heard in a Scottish court would/should set a precedent on an English one?)

Very, very fascinating just how non-codified transition was until the 1970s though, and I can absolutely believe there was a concerted effort to suppress trans rights through the legal system at that time. How far have we fallen?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're demanding i ask

how did he manage to be racist?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-london-candidate-mayor-shaun-bailey-hindu-muslim-festival-crime-a8566341.html

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Have any lawyers commented on this one? Much as I love the idea of this, the way the article talks about precedent makes it very clear the journalist writing this isn't a lawyer so I'm kind of iffy on the implied legal argument being made here. (Is the article implying a case heard in a Scottish court would/should set a precedent on an English one?)

Very, very fascinating just how non-codified transition was until the 1970s though, and I can absolutely believe there was a concerted effort to suppress trans rights through the legal system at that time. How far have we fallen?

https://twitter.com/Scott_Wortley/status/1471166497334697988

https://twitter.com/Scott_Wortley/status/1470324352637968384

quote:

Prof Playdon also suggested that the case would have been authoritative and was a higher authority than the Corbett case which deal with a trans woman marrying in England a few years after the Forbes Sempill summary trial. This is nonsense I am afraid. Scottish cases do not bind English courts. This particular case involving Forbes Sempill was a first instance decision (so did not involve an appeal, and under the s 10 procedure could not involve an appeal). A first instance decision in Scotland is of no particular precedential weight in England. And indeed the X, petitioner case would have been as authoritative a case. Indeed, in his book on Corbett v Corbett Prof Hutton notes that the X case from 1957 anticipates the decision in Corbett in England. It appears then that X, Forbes Sempill, and Corbett are compatible and consistent.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 16, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Wizard Master posted:

Nero was in a different city at the time and set out for Rome as soon as he heard the news, coordinated the firefighting response and poured massive amounts of money into the rebuilding effort :colbert:

We can only wish Boris came even close to Nero's disaster management

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Convex posted:

At this point I think the chances of a lockdown are more dependent on internal Tory politics than anything we could predict. We could just as easily be in lockdown on Friday evening with PM Truss

It frustrates me that lockdown to relieve pressure on the NHS is even an option at this point, as though there's no other possible way of dealing with it. How about pumping more resources into the NHS? How about re-opening those Nightingale hospitals that were talked up so much in the early part of the pandemic? There were scary headlines circulating around earlier about how there might soon be 2,000 Covid patients being admitted into hospital each day. loving wow. 2,000 whole patients a day, in a rich country of 60+ million people, however would we cope. Seriously, why should this be an insurmountable problem for a country that has our sort of wealth? If the only response we have to another surge in cases is to shut our whole society down again, then something's gone seriously loving wrong.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Nightingale hospitals were a white elephant. They simply didn't have the staff to man them, but I'm sure they made a few select Tories very rich.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

It frustrates me that lockdown to relieve pressure on the NHS is even an option at this point, as though there's no other possible way of dealing with it. How about pumping more resources into the NHS? How about re-opening those Nightingale hospitals that were talked up so much in the early part of the pandemic? There were scary headlines circulating around earlier about how there might soon be 2,000 Covid patients being admitted into hospital each day. loving wow. 2,000 whole patients a day, in a rich country of 60+ million people, however would we cope. Seriously, why should this be an insurmountable problem for a country that has our sort of wealth? If the only response we have to another surge in cases is to shut our whole society down again, then something's gone seriously loving wrong.

Unfortunately there are simply not enough staff in the NHS. It takes time even you poach people from abroad and good luck getting the Tories to sign off on letting a battalion of Filipino nurses and Indian doctors in.

China could do what they did with their instant giant hospitals because they bussed in staff from the rest of the country.

The best we can do short of lockdown now is to mandate Covid/vaccine passes before entry into any enclosed public space like what they do in Asia. Hell they could even feed the private grift machine by having it enforced by Serco bouncers.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I suspect meaningfully scaling up healthcare capacity takes a lot longer than we’ve had. However it is unforgivable that the NHS if anything seems to be less ready to handle it now than 18 months ago.

I don’t understand why Labour aren’t hammering on that relentlessly. Okay it’s hard to oppose pandemic mitigation measures, but it’s not hard to yell, loudly, about how the Tories aren’t doing anything to build up healthcare provision.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Problem is that decades of smashing the state to pieces have resulted in the UK being apparently largely dependent on money laundering to stay afloat, so not exactly an easy source of taxable income. We sold the shoes on our feet to buy the tories some coke 10 years ago. No more shoes for us!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also hope you're looking forward to cancer

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/16/experts-warn-over-post-brexit-uk-rule-changes-on-chemicals

quote:

Under the government’s proposals, companies will not be obliged to submit information on “substances of very high concern”, but will be allowed to do so on a voluntary basis. Only chemicals likely to be transferred to the “authorisation list” would be listed on the “candidate list”, meaning a smaller number of notifiable chemicals will be analysed.

Zoe Avison, policy analyst at the Green Alliance thinktank, said: “Relying on voluntary data submissions by chemical companies will almost certainly see hazardous substances falling through the cracks. The UK could have made sensible arrangements to reduce costs for industry and safeguard public health. Yet the government has boxed itself into a corner. After the new delay for companies to submit safety data for the UK market, this is a very worrying sign for the future of chemical regulation in the UK.”

Experts told the Guardian they were concerned the government’s move would weaken protections against harmful substances, and allow potentially toxic chemicals to slip through the net.

Michael Warhurst, executive director of Chem Trust, a charity that campaigns on harmful chemicals, said: “It seems that the government is putting in unnecessary layers of information requirements before taking action, which will lead to regulatory inaction on a range of harmful substances. This will open the door to British consumers and the environment having greater exposure to harmful chemicals than in the EU, and second-rate system for regulating chemicals post-Brexit.”

Jamie Page, of the Cancer Prevention and Education Society, added: “We are concerned that protections that British citizens previously enjoyed are now being eroded. The more the UK diverges from the EU Reach [registration, evaluation, authorisation and restriction of chemicals] system and database, the more likely people are to be exposed to potentially hazardous chemicals.”

The proposals by the government will not be subject to public consultation and will not require a vote in parliament. Under post-Brexit legal arrangements, ministers can make such alterations without discussion.

Is the Republic of Ireland likely to still accept english refugees at this point?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If this leads to the EU banning imports of waste from the UK it'll save more lives on balance than it costs.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Convex posted:

Is the Republic of Ireland likely to still accept english refugees at this point?
lmao I literally just realised that my daughter is (just) entitled to Irish citizenship through her mother's side, which means if things go to poo poo over here before she's 18 I'm entitled to go live there

Eat poo poo UKailures

e: assuming things don't go to poo poo over there in the same timeframe anyway, I've not got the highest hopes for this whole "European project" thing tbqh

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

If this leads to the EU banning imports of waste from the UK it'll save more lives on balance than it costs.

france have already closed the border to english tourists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

lmao I literally just realised that my daughter is (just) entitled to Irish citizenship through her mother's side, which means if things go to poo poo over here before she's 18 I'm entitled to go live there

Eat poo poo UKailures

e: assuming things don't go to poo poo over there in the same timeframe anyway, I've not got the highest hopes for this whole "European project" thing tbqh

She'd need to get her Irish passport first, and then she can apply to have you come live with her, even after she's 18. Though I think you have to show you're dependent on her in some way once she's over 18.

Hope we've got the whole "catastrophic failure of property market and healthcare system" figured out by then