Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
gonna be honest:

while the "paladin mounts pop out of poke balls" is a cheap gag, it will always get a good solid chuckle from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
cheap and effective, that's just good value

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Falling in a cauldron of temporary magic make it permanent; see Obelix.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cugel posted:

Obelix was a child when that happened. We know how vulnerable young brains are to drugs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I wouldn't be surprised if serini gets amnesia'd back to scribble days, it would be both fun and funny

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

SlothfulCobra posted:

Miko was rejected by her gods after she rejected the principle of law and killed her sworn feudal lord against the orders of her other superior, which may be the biggest combination of rulebreaks you can get, and Paladins are the special oath-swearing class whereas Clerics might have some extra leeway with their faith.

Rich is on record that this wasn't a normal Fall, and has implied that some of the paladins from Start Of Darkness Fell without the theatrics. IIRC, the metaphor used is that most of the time it's like a termination letter from HR, while Miko screwed up so bad she got a visit from the CEO.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cugel posted:

Nenonen posted:

Obelix was a child when that happened. We know how vulnerable young brains are to drugs.

Thought you guys were talking about the D&D monster Oblex for a second

Which are oozes that devour memories and can then create copies of it's victims from those memories. (The copies are tethered to the main body by a thin strand of ooze and can't move too far away from it.)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

:frogout: you're just envious of Goscinny & Uderzo's character design!

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which are oozes that devour memories and can then create copies of it's victims from those memories. (The copies are tethered to the main body by a thin strand of ooze and can't move too far away from it.)

Heh. If the copy is based on the victim's memories, I can just imagine a scenario where the fake is discovered immediately because the victim was a narcissist and everyone else knows that s/he was never that good-looking, nice, or eloquent. Please tell me someone did this.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Heh. If the copy is based on the victim's memories, I can just imagine a scenario where the fake is discovered immediately because the victim was a narcissist and everyone else knows that s/he was never that good-looking, nice, or eloquent. Please tell me someone did this.

In the campaign I'm a player in my character rescued a doppleganger from a collapsing mirror dimension and then it tried to kill me when I was low on health. :mad:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

If you gather broken fragments of blood code, you can stitch them together with threads of memory.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Who knows the Oblex is a fairly new monster. It's stated the copies are identical to the originals in all aspects appearance wise, other then slightly smelling of sulfer and having a tether that only allows them to move up to 120 feet away from the main body of the ooze.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'm now imagining people just politely avoiding mentioning the big ooze tentacle growing out of Darren's back because at least now he's capable of shutting his goddamn mouth for five minutes at a time.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

gonna be honest:

while the "paladin mounts pop out of poke balls" is a cheap gag, it will always get a good solid chuckle from me

It’s just as well that Pokémon has remained a ‘thing’ this whole time, or the gag wouldn’t work anymore.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Pokemon will outlive civilization.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

It’s just as well that Pokémon has remained a ‘thing’ this whole time, or the gag wouldn’t work anymore.

Itd still work as a nostalgic thing for people reading who remembered it, but i think even by the time oots started pokemon was unstoppable

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Side note: wouldn't any memory potion like that be effectively treated with heal, remove curse, or restoration?

The number of actually permanent permanent effects in 3.5 were pretty few.

Sure the plot can demand it not be, but I'm dubious that the adventurer bag of tricks can't fix this

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ikanreed posted:

Side note: wouldn't any memory potion like that be effectively treated with heal, remove curse, or restoration?

Sure the plot can demand it not be, but I'm dubious that the adventurer bag of tricks can't fix this

It seemed like it could erase and re-write memories. So she could send random adventurers home believing they found nothing. At which point there would be no reason to try to remove curse or restoration them.

A vague memory that it was cold, miserable, and there was no treasure will be enough reason for treasure hunters to not poke into it and just move on to the next fable dungeon. Probably wouldn't work as well on people who are trying to save the world.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ikanreed posted:

It's not a canon item, so Whatever The Plot Demands.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
And we've already seen powerful, permanent enough amnesia magic in the story. If the oracle can do it, why not Serini?

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
The big thing is if you realize you've been amnesia'd or not. Most of the people Serini's been memory wiping are completely unaware they've been memory wiped so they've never tried to remedy it. Ditto for the Oracle, I believe.

But mainly plot device, yes.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm more talking about her threat to wipe her own memory.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ikanreed posted:

Frankly, I'd be shocked if she didn't have antidotes, contingencies, and orders to her monsters in order to fix the issue as soon as any meddlers are out of her hair.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ikanreed posted:

There's always a way, greater restoration or a wish spell would do it. If not, a DM can make up a cure, kind of like how the way to destroy artifacts is kind of up to the DM.

But that's part of why the threat isn't working, she's not going to help them regardless. Her remembering useful information is pointless if she won't share it so why bother wasting resources recovering it?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

seaborgium posted:

Her remembering useful information is pointless if she won't share it so why bother wasting resources recovering it?

I mean this is also pretty telling about Serini's attitude: she believes that the Order or the paladins would be willing to torture the information out of her, because she's a paranoid old coot who assumes the worst of everyone she meets.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Based on the fact we haven't cut back to the other half of the party yet, I'm gonna assume the big reveal/turnaround for Serini is going to be seeing Elan and maybe Minrah having made friends with Sunny.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vizuyos posted:

The Dark One has even less reason to pay attention than Thor does, given that Redcloak's been stalled at the Gate defenses for some days now already.
Counterargument: Redcloak is his high priest, on the cusp of the absolute for real last chance at his ultimate plan. TDO isn't just paying attention, he's impatiently pacing back and forth.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Meanwhile, TDO, who no one's bothered talking to in decades:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

TheAceOfLungs posted:

There is a manga called Dungeon Meshi that does something similar to this. The party of an elf, a dwarf, a tallman(human) and halfling have their perceptions of their teammates stolen by doppelgangers who then create bodies based on their teammates' perceptions. Due to some party members being unobservant/mildly racist some of the dopplegangers are immediately found out because of how silly they look. The party then needs to figure out who the real members are and the fakes.

The cherry on top is that the dopplegangers also think they are the party members and are helping to figure out who the fakes are, but as mentioned before they're based on the perceptions of the original members. It's a glorious clusterfuck of a chapter or two.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Donkringel posted:

There is a manga called Dungeon Meshi that does something similar to this. The party of an elf, a dwarf, a tallman(human) and halfling have their perceptions of their teammates stolen by doppelgangers who then create bodies based on their teammates' perceptions. Due to some party members being unobservant/mildly racist some of the dopplegangers are immediately found out because of how silly they look. The party then needs to figure out who the real members are and the fakes.

The cherry on top is that the dopplegangers also think they are the party members and are helping to figure out who the fakes are, but as mentioned before they're based on the perceptions of the original members. It's a glorious clusterfuck of a chapter or two.
isn't that chapter resolved because the seemingly-dipshit tallman is actually very observant about the people close to him? I remember the solution being :3:, but I don't remember exactly why.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, at the very least, he was the one who they managed to identify the real one first, so he was the one who got to make the final decisions.

Dungeon Meshi also has some excellent dealing with separate species existing alongside eachother, some looking at separate mindsets, and the artist developed a distinct yet subtle anatomy for each of the races. It's very good.

Also a very unique take on trolls: They're not real, they're the result of myths that the other races told about humans, the weird people who are taller and stronger than the rest.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

girl dick energy posted:

isn't that chapter resolved because the seemingly-dipshit tallman is actually very observant about the people close to him? I remember the solution being :3:, but I don't remember exactly why.

It devolves into fighting because nobody trusts Laius, and he has to resort to howling like a wolf to spook the dopplegangers.

Though after the fact, they do realize that he was completely right on all of his guesses.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Just go read Dungeon Meshi everybody, it's very good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Donkringel posted:

NADDPOD did this as well, where the party members had to figure out which one had been replaced that was solved in a very hilarious way.

They had another one with that monster that got caught out because someone randomly sniffed the party member that had been replaced.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I sure hope Rich had a good Christmas!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Phenotype posted:

I sure hope Rich had a good Christmas!

Here's to new comics in January!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

1299 pages ago, miko had just killed shojo.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

sebmojo posted:

1299 pages ago, miko had just killed shojo.

That's mere 14 years ago.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
:siren:https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1251.html:siren:

Wake up fellow order of the stickers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Lotta good jokes in this one:
V dunking on Belkar for being bad at his class.
O-Chul reminding everyone that templates exist and can be applied to almost anything.
Belkar's surprisingly consistent respect for the elderly.