Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

Right now it's apparently a better idea to report sightings to your local conservation officer than to take a shot. Killing one or two here and there causes the rest of the group to spread out, breed more and get better at hiding, so organized eradication campaigns are going to be more effective if extermination is the goal and not putting wild bacon on the table.

https://www.manitobapork.com/swine-health/wild-pigs

Legalizing suppressors would probably be more effective for culling herds, and I imagine it would be much more politically tenable.

i think you'd have a real hard time still getting it past the groups founded after the montreal massacre. it's gonna be a mess any which way, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

ColdBlooded posted:

This isn't actually true but keep raging about it I guess. If a traveller is too stupid to know about ArriveCAN then they deserve their quarantine as far as I'm concerned. It's not hard to do research in advance of travelling in the midst of a global pandemic - gotta get those hot dealz in the States though am i rite??

And yes, I'm aware that some people are travelling for less stupid reasons - they generally aren't the ones going to the US for less than 72 hours though.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/south-africa-travel-omicron-1.6279085

CBC posted:

After the new omicron variant was identified in South Africa late last month, Ottawa recently mandated that Canadian air passengers from that country and nine others in Africa face stricter travel rules, including a COVID-19 test upon arrival. They also must spend part of a required 14-day quarantine in a government-designated hotel while awaiting the test results.

The new rules came out fast. There was no way to "Do research in advance". Then after sitting in a quarantine hotel and getting a negative test you still had to go home and quarantine for the remainder of the two weeks. Not sure what deals in the States has to do with anything.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

i think you'd have a real hard time still getting it past the groups founded after the montreal massacre. it's gonna be a mess any which way, honestly.

Should have clarified, I meant in comparison to making AR-15s non-restricted and/or allowing the use of full-capacity magazines. Even in places with very strict firearm regulations like the UK or NZ suppressors are just considered safety equipment that maybe require you to show your license, if that.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

ColdBlooded posted:

If a traveller is too stupid to know about ArriveCAN then they deserve their quarantine as far as I'm concerned.

Quarantine is supposed to be a way to keep people who are identified as likely to have a particular communicable disease from spreading it to others. It doesn't exist (legally, anyway) as a method of punishment for frowned-upon travel.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

DrBox posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/south-africa-travel-omicron-1.6279085

The new rules came out fast. There was no way to "Do research in advance". Then after sitting in a quarantine hotel and getting a negative test you still had to go home and quarantine for the remainder of the two weeks. Not sure what deals in the States has to do with anything.

Yes, there are arbitrary rules regarding certain countries that are pretty pointless at this juncture - I also doubt there were/are many Canadians/PRs who were in one of the 10 identified countries subject to these regulations; though yes a non-zero amount will be affected. We also still don't know how Omicron affects people who are vaccinated though, last I checked, early indications show that the vaccines offer less protection against it.

I won't bother posting all the sob story media articles about morons who went to the States after the testing rules were relaxed but did not actually do their research in advance regarding the app; surely you have seen them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I am truly astonished how many people are going on international vacations even now. Travelling to see family, or for work... I'll say that's a grey area, but jetting down to Cancun seems ridiculous right now.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
If anyone tried to stop the snowbirds they would literally overthrow the government, except they'd be overthrowing themselves because they are the ruling class.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PT6A posted:

I am truly astonished how many people are going on international vacations even now. Travelling to see family, or for work... I'll say that's a grey area, but jetting down to Cancun seems ridiculous right now.
Nah gently caress that. If you're vaccinated you should feel free to do whatever you're comfortable with pretty much. It's obvious our governments have failed to take effective collective action and are absolutely not going to reverse course, there is no sense yelling PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and blaming people for living their lives.

Get vaccinated, wear masks inside, and go have fun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Nah gently caress that. If you're vaccinated you should feel free to do whatever you're comfortable with pretty much. It's obvious our governments have failed to take effective collective action and are absolutely not going to reverse course, there is no sense yelling PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and blaming people for living their lives.

Also kiss your loved ones goodbye

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

PittTheElder posted:

Or let's just start admitting that we are now a society of mole people and these measures will never end. Covid is endemic, new strains will not stop appearing, and there is no reason to think the current variants are the worst we will see. If the argument is that a group of fully vaxxed people (two weeks after a booster even!) cannot participate relatively normally in the world then I don't know where we go from here. No one should do anything non essential for the next decade unless we come out with a 100% effective vaccine?

Edit: How about a solution to my rant. Keep vaccine rules in place, start mass producing and distributing rapid tests. Get back to normal with everyone testing constantly. Some people won't test often or at all but some people won't follow basic precautions either so this would still be better than constant wishy washy and often contradictory restrictions.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 15, 2021

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

My in-laws are supposed to be coming up from the US to see us after Christmas, I have such mixed feelings about the whole thing.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

ColdBlooded posted:

This isn't actually true but keep raging about it I guess. If a traveller is too stupid to know about ArriveCAN then they deserve their quarantine as far as I'm concerned. It's not hard to do research in advance of travelling in the midst of a global pandemic - gotta get those hot dealz in the States though am i rite??

And yes, I'm aware that some people are travelling for less stupid reasons - they generally aren't the ones going to the US for less than 72 hours though.

Hi

I got selected at random for a quarantine/mandatory covid test even after being fully vaxxed, completed the arrive can properly, was in the USA for less than 5 hours (picking up a rescue puppy), and was in a state with a lower covid incidence rate than my province.....

It's all random bullshit to pad the pockets of the private companies administering the tests...because why wouldnt you force me to take the test at a provincial testing clinic?

I mean, I don't care that I had to test or quarantine since I'm a goon (therefore rarely leaving my house)...just seems like a ton of unnecessary hassle for such a low percentage chance.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

On the other hand, I got a robocall from the Government telling me that I had to complete my quarantine after international travel and a nurse would call me later to verify.

It was a wrong number, I haven't been traveling internationally, there is no number you can call to tell them they hosed up, and the nurse just left a message.

So yeah, just give a wrong number to the government and never quarantine. :thumbsup:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also kiss your loved ones goodbye

my parents are planning on going on a cruise in feb, leaving from florida.
I am totally against this plan but they will not be dissuaded. They were upset when I told them to make sure they had travel insurance and their wills updated.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

Should have clarified, I meant in comparison to making AR-15s non-restricted and/or allowing the use of full-capacity magazines. Even in places with very strict firearm regulations like the UK or NZ suppressors are just considered safety equipment that maybe require you to show your license, if that.

What's the difference between a suppressor and a silencer, if anything? I tried searching for Canada's laws and just got a bunch of customs going "YOU CAN'T HAVE IT"

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Arivia posted:

What's the difference between a suppressor and a silencer, if anything? I tried searching for Canada's laws and just got a bunch of customs going "YOU CAN'T HAVE IT"

There isn’t any, it’s the same thing. Unfortunately, because Hollywood turned them into sneaky assassin accessories everyone thinks they silence gunshots and now legalizing them to reduce hearing damage/noise complaints is basically untenable.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Arivia posted:

Many people will argue that 'silencer' is a misnomer and the only proper term is 'suppressor'. I lean towards agreeing with them. Suppressors can reduce decibel levels pretty significantly, however guns are at a starting point of "that's loud as gently caress" so at best you're getting down to "pretty drat loud". I'm not a gun guy, but if I were I would probably use a suppressor as much as possible to protect against hearing damage.

But yeah, as Frank said, media stupidity has made people think you can screw a tin can with some padding on to the barrel or shoot through a pillow and achieve near silent operation (or apparently a laser beam sound?). So apparently only an evil assassin would use a suppressor.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Suppressor drops the sound by about 30db on average. Which is around the level that properly fitted and worn hearing protection drops the sound.

This takes a typical gun shot from 140 db, i.e. louder than using a jackhammer, to 110 db, i.e. about the level of a concert or a car horn honking. Which is still way up in the 'causes hearing damage' range.

"Guns with suppressors sound like how people imagine normal guns do and guns without suppressors will blow your ears out."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Silencers are wildly dangerous devices that should absolute be restricted for reasons demonstrated in a series of bad movies with no understanding of these things. That same logic is used to justify the bans on nunchuks and three-section-staves.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

flakeloaf posted:

Silencers are wildly dangerous devices that should absolute be restricted for reasons demonstrated in a series of bad movies with no understanding of these things. That same logic is used to justify the bans on nunchuks and three-section-staves.

I believe that public safety standards should be based on observations made from Shaw Brothers films, so basically we need to ban nunchucks, flying guillotines, and poles. Also assault is tolerated if the person you assaulted disrespected and/or removed the sign outside your dojo and/or if the person in question previously murdered your master.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
HOW IS HE SO STUPID? gently caress!

https://twitter.com/kevinctv/status/1471154581002465283?s=21

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Sure, why not? What could possibly go wrong?

Why is your provincial government literally trying to kill you? For all the jokes we make about Alberta, no one seems to hate Albertans more than themselves.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

But something something international travel!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

I believe that public safety standards should be based on observations made from Shaw Brothers films, so basically we need to ban nunchucks, flying guillotines, and poles. Also assault is tolerated if the person you assaulted disrespected and/or removed the sign outside your dojo and/or if the person in question previously murdered your master.

If you outlaw flying guillotines, only outlaws will have flying guillotines.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The only way to make a suppressed firearm actually kinda quiet is with subsonic ammunition in a firearm designed for it and even then it basically sounds like a staple gun the size of a guitar.

Irl a suppressor is a very useful hunting implement because it doesn't spook every animal within a mile while annoying everyone else in the valley with you. When I was in Europe I saw someone hunting with a suppressed shotgun.

But of course thanks to Bond movies people here think they're the perfect assassin's tool.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

tl;dr gun culture

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So reminder that he made these changes because the existing rules were in the way of his christmas plans.

Which implies he had plans to hang out indoors with a bunch of anti-vaxxers, presumably his family.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'm pro rental silencers for 'pig hunters' during pig hunting season only.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So reminder that he made these changes because the existing rules were in the way of his christmas plans.

Which implies he had plans to hang out indoors with a bunch of anti-vaxxers, presumably his family.

Hey look, you can’t just ask your rentboy about their vaccination status, it’s awkward!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Why the LCBO, Doug? https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1471213658642558982

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Because it's a government run retail distribution point with hundreds of locations province wide?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

And god knows a large portion of the province is gonna be at one in the next few weeks

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yeah, if it was a lovely Doug Ford "favours for corporate buddies" measure, they'd be at Shoppers. In an ideal world, they'd be at libraries / community centres too, but I can't fault this idea that much.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
if you don't want hearing damage from guns then just don't use guns

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Yeah there are tons of LCBOs all over the province, and it's a government owned asset that has the logistical know-how to distribute product. Also, everyone knows where they are.

The announcements today were good, too bad they didn't do all this two weeks ago. But I guess that's just how Doug rolls.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

infernal machines posted:

Because it's a government run retail distribution point with hundreds of locations province wide?

HappyHippo posted:

Yeah there are tons of LCBOs all over the province, and it's a government owned asset that has the logistical know-how to distribute product. Also, everyone knows where they are.
Yeah, it's actually kind of brilliant despite it sounding weird at first.

Oh my loving god. This rings truer than ever:

Furnaceface posted:

I dont know why but I keep thinking Alberta has hit the lowest point it can go and then Kenney finds a new way to dig deeper.
Get ready for the fallout from Alberta's Best Christmas Ever™.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 15, 2021

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Kind of glad the Coquihalla hwy is out considering.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

snorch posted:

Kind of glad the Coquihalla hwy is out considering.

Too bad about the international airport which brings international and domestic idiots from all over…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Oh my loving god. This rings truer than ever:

Get ready for the fallout from Alberta's Best Christmas Ever™.

Yes, this. I was ready for that stupid cocksucker to not do anything, I was not prepared for him to actually relax restrictions.