Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

having recess literally under a freeway kinda sucked tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

where are the bollards

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The county commission just approved a three-story townhouse development on a narrow downtown street over objections that it was creating too much density :toot:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The county commission just approved a three-story townhouse development on a narrow downtown street over objections that it was creating too much density :toot:
bUt WhErE wIlL tHeY pArK???

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
There is a fancy Mercedes in my city-permitted no parking zone. It has a vanity plate with a bald eagle on it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

bUt WhErE wIlL tHeY pArK???

This has doomed several good proposals recently! A building down the street was predicted to cast an overwhelming shadow over an entire neighborhood, which is laughable now that the thing is built.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

you see America doesn't have the infrastructure in place for trains to be a mainstream form of transportation and it would be too expensive to....

oh

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Does it cause any dissonance that the US is turning its old railroad infrastructure into bike paths?

https://www.railstotrails.org/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

PeterCat posted:

Does it cause any dissonance that the US is turning its old railroad infrastructure into bike paths?

https://www.railstotrails.org/

Yeah, every time I'm on one. They're usually the best easy-access trails in an urban area.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i bet if they privatized the interstate highway system it would get real politically popular to open up all those other tracks to amtrak

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dolphin posted:

i bet if they privatized the interstate highway system it would get real politically popular to open up all those other tracks to amtrak

this is already a thing, it hasn't radicalized anybody and usually all the richest communities full of commuters are exempted from toll schemes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Amtrack could probably get on them now if there was demand. of course they would have to pull over and stop every hour to let a shipment of refrigerators and tennis shoes pass by.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i bet if everyone was using amtrak everyone would demand they pass a law changing priority from freight to amtrak

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dolphin posted:

i bet if everyone was using amtrak everyone would demand they pass a law changing priority from freight to amtrak

like 90% of the country lives somewhere not even within an hour of an Amtrak station, they'd do nothing and nobody who mattered would care so nothing would get done because the alternative is the absolute certainty of a nationwide capital strike among freight haulers

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but just lmao that the only way to get a train to las vegas is by hiding in a freight car

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Epic High Five posted:

like 90% of the country lives somewhere not even within an hour of an Amtrak station, they'd do nothing and nobody who mattered would care so nothing would get done because the alternative is the absolute certainty of a nationwide capital strike among freight haulers

Capital Strike eh? Sounds like it's time to nationalize our vital infrastructure and try the share holders who caused the shortages with terrorism.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Capital Strike eh? Sounds like it's time to nationalize our vital infrastructure and try the share holders who caused the shortages with terrorism.

Yeah sure if by that you mean "print 15 trillion to keep them all afloat and use that as a reason to impose crushing austerity on 330 million people"

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Epic High Five posted:

We've made such progress in the past 100 years.

PeterCat has issued a correction as of 05:17 on Dec 16, 2021

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

and there are shops directly across the street! i don't know how school placement works with zoning in the US, but all of the suburban public schools i went to were in the middle of residential neighborhoods, within walking distance of nothing

My suburban high school was across the street from a grocery store and fast food places. To get to the street you had to cross the humongous high school parking lot which had hundreds of spots and then after crossing the street you had to cross the grocery store parking lot with hundreds of spots. But it was right there. The street was also a 4 lane stroad with a median.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Love when there are sidewalks around the strip mall, but no way to walk from the sidewalk to the restaurant that isn't in traffic.

Also, it's amazing how pissed car drivers get when they have to stop because you're traversing a crosswalk. You can feel them getting pissed because you don't start running when they start to turn in.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Y'know what's loving amazing, watching Scottish people bitch about having wonderful outdoor spaces that area easily accessible by public transportation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtbS_PdA198

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Love when there are sidewalks around the strip mall, but no way to walk from the sidewalk to the restaurant that isn't in traffic.

Also, it's amazing how pissed car drivers get when they have to stop because you're traversing a crosswalk. You can feel them getting pissed because you don't start running when they start to turn in.

I used to work in an industrial area nearby to the city's airport. It's a bit out of the city but there's a pretty big industrial area right next to it and even a fair few shops, hotels etc. It would probably have been a 30 minute walk or something from the airport to my work and there were definitely times where I was flying in and going to work where I would have enjoyed that walk, but there was literally no way you could do it without walking on the road. It's like when they built the airport they couldn't conceive of anybody WALKING to or from it, so there were parts where the footpath just finished...

I think that might be different now, haven't been able to fly for a while lol. There's also no train to/from the airport, and the only bus that used to go there from where I lived (privately operated airport-specific bus) changed their route and now only go directly from the CBD to the airport and skip all the suburbs, so lmao now there's zero way that I can get there that isn't driving. I did actually fly with my bicycle in a cardboard box on the plane once, assembled the bicycle in the airport terminal after landing and then cycled home which was quite the experience.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

phoenix makes a big deal about the bike lockers they have at their light rail station near the airport. i had a flight coming up and i was like hell yeah sweet i'm gonna bike to the airport!

i got to the station only to find out that locking your bike overnight is strictly forbidden, they cut the locks every night. this information was nowhere to be found on the official light rail website where they talk about the AMAZING BIKE LOCKERS conveniently located at the AIRPORT LIGHT RAIL STATION. i had to call my friend to come pick up my bike lol almost missed my loving plane

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

seems like a niche use case, wanting to store your bike for more than a few hours at the airport

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/jeremyzorek/status/1471351277116350468?s=20

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ive been mainlining dimethyl sulfoxide for 3 months and my spilled blood now emits a gas hazardous to lungs and automotive paints ive also turned my gi tract into a spike strip via eating one (1) bowl of galvanized nails everyday

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
As a funny anecdote tangential to this thread.

I got my driver's licence less than a year ago, and my partner had been anticipating the "world is wide open to you" moment and having me drive them round or having the shared experience of driving

But I spent $25 on an 80s era road bike in September and have converted it to a speedy small cargo commutor, and have put >400 km in total on it and 80km this week and it is genuinely my primary form of transport

They have expressed some frustration at the lack of sympathy through driving
"I kept telling him the world would open up when he gets his licence, but he just rides his drat bike everywhere"

Jestery has issued a correction as of 06:01 on Dec 17, 2021

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Jestery posted:

I got my driver's licence less than a year ago, and my partner had been anticipating the "world is wide open to you" moment and having me drive them round or having the shared experience of driving

But I spent $25 on an 80s era road bike in September and have converted it to a speedy small cargo commutor, and have put >400 km in total on it and 80km this week and it is genuinely my primary form of transport

"I kept telling him the world would open up when he gets his licence, but he just rides his drat bike everywhere"

nice. you're much more free when not tied to 5,000 lbs of plastic and metal when you get to your destination. and even more so when not inside 5,000 lbs of plastic and metal on the way.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
80s bikes are great. my first was an aluminum cannondale.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Jestery posted:

my partner had been anticipating the "world is wide open to you" moment

this is a real and legit thing, but it's not because cars are good, it's because america is bad

edit: oh, you're probably not american. well i'm not editing my post... america is still bad

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jestery posted:

Well, if you can ride anywhere you need to go on a bike, it's not a big difference.

Now, in America, in a lot of places you can't get anywhere you'd want to go by walking or bicycling, you have to have a car or take the bus (which is usually functionally non-existent.)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-1YNAmWlk

"mayor anne hildago was elected on a platform of removing 70,000 parking spaces"

i can just imagine the revolt of the suburban homeowner NPCs and their elected representatives (all of them) if this happened here lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was catching up on the "only good thread in D&D" going on about how actually america doesn't have terrible infrastructure and I opened this absentmindedly and the whiplash was so intense my spine is in several pieces

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

what's the only good thread in d&d?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Good point here imo. This had never even occurred to me. All of ours are rail to trail conversions.

https://twitter.com/AlexanderGlista/status/1472295071320100868?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sphyre posted:

what's the only good thread in d&d?

Well it was the map thread

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol more traffic carnage in my city, makes me think of that video where a million cars hit a stopped car.

quote:

A 6-vehicle chain reaction crash sent 11 people to the hospital, including four children, on Saturday morning.

[...]

According to police, a grey Honda had a mechanical issue and stopped in the road, causing a chain reaction.

and

quote:

This is the second major crash to happen in the area already this morning.

A few hours earlier, around 3:25 a.m., the driver of a Honda CRV was killed after rear-ending a stopped 18-wheeler on the westbound feeder of the freeway at Central Park West Boulevard.

Police say the 18-wheeler's driver had stopped in the far right lane with his flashers on to rest, when the SUV driver, who appeared to be speeding, slammed into the big rig.

nobody should be trusted with this poo poo!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gently caress i hope that trucker isn’t too bent out of shape over someone negligently kamikazi-striking his rig

id like the driver to be ok too but it seems too late for that

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i saw a woman sobbing in her car earlier and i thought, yeah that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Good point here imo. This had never even occurred to me. All of ours are rail to trail conversions.

https://twitter.com/AlexanderGlista/status/1472295071320100868?s=20

Yeah, I kind of wish it got brought up more. I'd only seen rails to trails for the longest time until I tuned into a zoom meeting about extending the rail-to-trail near me.

I had seen maps indicating a plan to extend the trail to and along where there's still an active freight line and in the meeting they said "rail with trail" for the first time and I said "oh duh".